• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword HD: Review Thread

I think I'm gonna trade it in or sell it.
I don't think the original is as bad as a lot of people think it is but while I never found the controls broken I did find them annoying.

Unfortunately even with the new controls I still find it tedious and annoying. It sucks because the world design, and music, and characters are great. As somebody that loves the old more linear Zelda games (favorites being Wind Waker and Majoras Mask), I would have loved to have it finally connect with me and finish it but it's fine.

Reading all these reviews/responses, I feel comfortable skipping this. Ninty, show us so TP and WW love here. I'd be in for those.
Unfortunately it seems that we may not be getting those like I thought we would. Hell, I even bought a Wii U last week for $130 to have a way to play through Wind Waker and Majoras Mask again. I know I could emulate them but I just don't care for emulation, and prefer playing on original hardware or this (virtual console or like PS1 on PS3).

Ikutachi

As someone who went into BOTW somewhat blind, I still feel extremely misled by what I consider one of the greatest trailers of all time.

It makes BOTW look like it's telling a big, epic narrative with an incredible orchestrated soundtrack when the reality was that the story was a footnote and the music was almost completely forgettable. As much as I love the trailer, in retrospect I don't think it gives an accurate depiction of the game at all.

I was misled too. I went in thinking we'll have all those interactions with Zelda before finding they were merely memories.

SinDelta

I was misled too. I went in thinking we'll have all those interactions with Zelda before finding they were merely memories.
If the game had started out with Link and the player going through what all the flashbacks covered for the first half, then you everything in the second half post calamity I think Breath of the Wild would have been received very differently.

Also smiths to repair and upgrade medium to high level gear, while legendary gear like the Master Sword are like in prior Zelda titles, they simply do not break.

Dungeons ranging from mini dungeons to near Hyrule Castle size scattered across Hyrule. Hell since Breath of the Wild is after 10,000 years of Hyrules history you could have multiple Earth, Water and Fire temples that have been built, maintained, neglected or forgotten over that time frame across the world, filled with optional bosses, gear, legendary items, quests.

As good as Breath of the Wild is, it is a template. I am hoping going from Breath of the Wild 1 to 2 is going to be comparable to the leap that was going from Zelda 1 to Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I think I'm gonna trade it in or sell it.
I don't think the original is as bad as a lot of people think it is but while I never found the controls broken I did find them annoying.

Unfortunately even with the new controls I still find it tedious and annoying. It sucks because the world design, and music, and characters are great. As somebody that loves the old more linear Zelda games (favorites being Wind Waker and Majoras Mask), I would have loved to have it finally connect with me and finish it but it's fine.
They didn't update the controls enough. A traditional fighting button like X or Y and the camera with right joystick would have been way better. At first I was fine but then later the enemies kept blocking all my attacks. I was always fighting with the controls/camera.

I also hated the flying. The part where you have 120 seconds to hit those targets OH MY GOD! I was going to kill myself. I was impressed by the game world and some of the mechanics but the fun was gone.

I'm really enjoying Monster Hunter Stories 2 now 😃

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Well yeah adding "omg we can skip cutscenes now such innovation!" doesn't mike a shitty boring game any less boring
I’m sensing you really don’t like Nintendo for some reason.

Glad to see new people enjoying SS. Not the best game, but far from the disaster it was labeled at the time.

tommib

Just started playing it. Like 3 hours in.

It’s super charming and the music is lovely. I needed this wholesome experience after all the dark games I’ve been playing (and I love my dark shit). Playing on lite so the sword controls are bit weird. Still need to get the hang of it. But for now, I’m in love. It looks great on the small lite screen.

jigglet

Banned
Just started playing it. Like 3 hours in.

It’s super charming and the music is lovely. I needed this wholesome experience after all the dark games I’ve been playing (and I love my dark shit). Playing on lite so the sword controls are bit weird. Still need to get the hang of it. But for now, I’m in love. It looks great on the small lite screen.

Those zany characters in the Bazar are some of my favourite in gaming. They crack me up every time.

jigglet

Banned
I’m sensing you really don’t like Nintendo for some reason.

Glad to see new people enjoying SS. Not the best game, but far from the disaster it was labeled at the time.

Besides skipping cutscenes and getting rid of Fi, there are other huge changes people are glossing over. Full analogue camera. Option for physical controls. And the graphics? I thought they were a rush job at first but now that I go back to the Wii version I realised just how clean they are. This is a really good remaster. Really good.

IMO the only thing they really fucked up is not supporting stick based flying with motion based combat. Even people that love motion for combat (me) fucking hate motion for flying with a passion. This "all or nothing" approach Nintendo has is one of their worst qualities.

Last edited:
I'm having fun with this so far, never played the Wii version because I heard mixed results. But now in 2021, it's the best 3D Zelda game on Switch. I hated Breath Of The Wild because of its empty world, no real story, weak weapons, etc. Tried my hardest to enjoy that game but I couldn't.

I love linear dungeon Zelda games with great music and story and SSHD has that. On top of that, Im having fun with the controls, fortunately I don't have drift and I switch to pro controller for stuff I can't achieve with motion controls seamlessly.

I also like the art style and I love that's a smooth 1080p 60fps experience 99% of the time. Something I wanted in a Zelda game for years.

Overall I give a 8.5/10, only 5 hrs in but it's the most fun I had with a 3D Zelda game since Twilight Princess. It's classic Zelda and looks like my hidden gem of 2021 so far and an hidden gem in the Zelda series as a whole IMHO

jigglet

Banned
I'm having fun with this so far, never played the Wii version because I heard mixed results. But now in 2021, it's the best 3D Zelda game on Switch. I hated Breath Of The Wild because of its empty world, no real story, weak weapons, etc. Tried my hardest to enjoy that game but I couldn't.

I love linear dungeon Zelda games with great music and story and SSHD has that. On top of that, Im having fun with the controls, fortunately I don't have drift and I switch to pro controller for stuff I can't achieve with motion controls seamlessly.

I also like the art style and I love that's a smooth 1080p 60fps experience 99% of the time. Something I wanted in a Zelda game for years.

Overall I give a 8.5/10, only 5 hrs in but it's the most fun I had with a 3D Zelda game since Twilight Princess. It's classic Zelda and looks like my hidden gem of 2021 so far and an hidden gem in the Zelda series as a whole IMHO

Yeah the 60fps is amazing. And the art style - wow. I often sit there in Sky Loft just looking around thinking holy shit I can't believe how good this looks...

Yeah the 60fps is amazing. And the art style - wow. I often sit there in Sky Loft just looking around thinking holy shit I can't believe how good this looks...
Idk maybe because I was younger at the time but I thought the graphics looked horrible lol I was a 360 and Wiii owner and obviously going back and forth between those systems was jarring because Wii was so weak back then. Now that I'm older, I appreciate the art style in Skyward Sword, it looks like a painting and I love it

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I never had a wii, so playing this on switch is my first time playing skyward sword.
Im about an hour and half in, i have just got the skyward sword and I gotta to say im surprised how much im enjoying this game. The music, characters and story really brings me back to that joyous intriguie I had has a kid playing ocarina of time. It really shows Nintendo are still at the top of these fantasy type games, its so refreshing compared to the more realistic games out there.

I honestly though i would be selling this, but im pleasently surprised.
While graphics are limited by the polygon budget of the poor 6th gen caliber wii GPU at 60fps and 1080p it feel great and is not distracting, perfectly acceptable visuals.

The motion controls work better then I thought, i thought it would not be 1:1 at all and make different slashes would basically mimic a button press, but it has a good balance of 1.1 sword control and pre programmed commands.

Overall loving this game so far.

tommib

I never had a wii, so playing this on switch is my first time playing skyward sword.
Im about an hour and half in, i have just got the skyward sword and I gotta to say im surprised how much im enjoying this game. The music, characters and story really brings me back to that joyous intriguie I had has a kid playing ocarina of time. It really shows Nintendo are still at the top of these fantasy type games, its so refreshing compared to the more realistic games out there.

I honestly though i would be selling this, but im pleasently surprised.
While graphics are limited by the polygon budget of the poor 6th gen caliber wii GPU at 60fps and 1080p it feel great and is not distracting, perfectly acceptable visuals.

The motion controls work better then I thought, i thought it would not be 1:1 at all and make different slashes would basically mimic a button press, but it has a good balance of 1.1 sword control and pre programmed commands.

Overall loving this game so far.
I sold my Wii before this came out. Totally enjoying it on my Lite. Thank god I can use the stick to fight. Can’t stand motion controls these days.

The port runs great and it’s beautiful. Music is by far the best thing about the game. Gorgeous stuff.

I’m on the last stretch I think. It’s my number 3 favourite release of the year until now.

TaroYamada

This game has way too much bloat. I bought it, I'm now collecting musical notes? What? The silent realm stuff where you run around collecting crap unarmed should have been cut -- it's bloat and not enjoyable in the least. And they should have figured something else other than "go back a third time" for the song.

Top Bottom