• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword HD: Review Thread

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The controls don’t really work well on a regular controller. They should reverse how the right stick works. It should alway control the camera and then using the sword should require using the shoulder button. The game is a constant struggle against awkward controls on the regular controller. The motion controls work much better. Even though I hate the concept of motion controls in general I am going to have to go with them.

The Shepard

The controls don’t really work well on a regular controller. They should reverse how the right stick works. It should alway control the camera and then using the sword should require using the shoulder button. The game is a constant struggle against awkward controls on the regular controller. The motion controls work much better. Even though I hate the concept of motion controls in general I am going to have to go with them.

Or a Quick double tap L to switch between motion control with sword and camera control. That way your not constantly holding L exploring to turn the camera.

jigglet

Banned
I'm loving what I'm playing so far.

Pros:

1) The graphics are a touch better than I expected (although still blurry).

2) The ability to skip cut scenes and fast forward text is amazing.

3) Having the recalibrate button mapped to a dedicated button is also very nice, so you don't have to go into a menu to do it.

4) Free roaming camera!!!

5) Also no Fi...holy fuck, it's a game changer.

6) 60 FPS!

Cons:

1) Not being able to use motion controls for combat + regular controls for flying. This is by far my biggest complaint. Not everyone liked motion controls, but for those who did (me!!)...I don't know a single person that liked using it for flying. So fucking annoying having to switch control type every time I get on the bird. Even worse, the flapping your wings control is mapped to a waggle. FUCK. So you're constantly having to shake your right hand. Jesus christ this is just bad design. If they wanted to keep flying motion based, then it should have been like this: LEFT Joycon for direction control and the right Joycon for flapping your wings. Having two different sets of motion controls on the SAME Joycon is just shit. I can see why they did it: the Nunchuck never used to have a gyro, but this should have been an opportunity to fix that. I can't believe no reviews have mentioned this, it shits me that so few journalists do their fucking jobs.

2) Not being able to skip ALL cut scenes. I wish they made this clear by putting an icon on the screen, so you're not mashing the minus button in hope you can skip it.

3) I don't like how the pouch and save menus are still controlled by motion. Also the free roaming camera. I really wish they let us turn all motion controls off except for combat.

4) The X and ZR buttons going to waste. They are some of the best and most comfy buttons on the controller. WTF, why are they left unused? They could have been used to give us direct access to something. Although maybe they're used later in the game, I don't know.

5) In the Button-only control mode, why is the shield mapped to L3? It fucks with 20 years worth of Zelda history. I just can't get used to it.

6) Not being able to switch the sprint button. A lot of people who have only played BOTW are going to be used to X to sprint, why not give them the option to have the same button layout? Also jumping while locked on and the first person view have different button mappings compared to BOTW. As a Zelda veteran it's not an issue for me, but it seems weird to me that they wouldn't give people an option to make it like BOTW since that's the first Zelda experience for many people.

Overall I would still say this is a must buy for any Zelda fan, but it's weird that it still has so many rough edges. They got rid of Fi though. That alone is worth $60 lol.

Last edited:

Fake

John from DF made a video about asking to avoid playing this game with Swtich Lite.

jigglet

Banned

Yes I think this is an idea I would have liked to have seen as an option. Or just mapped it to the ZL button.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Great game, played is already on the Wii-U via virtual console. Motion controls worked very well and I enjoyed the zelda universe. Not sure about 60$ on switch though...

recursive

Totally agree. Leave it to Nintendo to think holding down the L button all game makes sense. Bonehead design.

Porcile

Playing for the first time since the Wii release. My impressions now:

Graphics and art wise, I think the character design is weird in that typical weird Zelda way but mostly well done. They really should have pushed the painterly style though, because what it is now is essentially just a Photoshop filter applied to every texture. Still it's very clean.

Controls are...not designed for a Pro Controller that's for sure. They are workable but they really should allow us to remap the shoulder buttons as my fingers naturally sit on the L2 and R2 buttons. I think the sword controls decently enough.

They concentrated A LOT on the presentation of the relationship between Link and Zelda and how to characterize that, mostly through cut scenes it has to be argued. I am not going to lie though. When the soundtrack (which is beautiful) kicks in at certain points it really gets me, and so far this is the most striking thing about the game to me.

So far, Skyward Sword is actually somewhat better than I remember it really. Maybe I am just soaking in the atmosphere, music and characters a lot more than I did back on Wii.

tr1p1ex

tough slog thru the 1st hour or so. and yeah motion controls on the flying race part ...had a tough time there for sure.

not sure i'll be able to get to the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the game I didn't play the first time.

i remember complaining to Nintendo. I wrote some big post somewhere about this. I thought it was part of some feedback that Nintendo was supposedly going to read.

But i basically asked for BotW concept in so many words by saying Zelda had lost the exploration element and that Nintendo didn't have to worry so much about the player getting lost because of the internet. Zelda SS is the epitome of handholding.

The only thing tougher to get through than the first hour of this game is the 2nd time you play the first hour of this game. And I'm afraid there are a few more first hours to get through too. And by tough I mean staying awake or not going mad while skipping dialouge.

Last edited:
I try playing it on pro controller and it is an execerise in patient. I switch to joy con, it is better but o god the flying contect using joy con is a royal pain

CitizenZ

Banned
I'm loving what I'm playing so far.

Pros:

1) The graphics are a touch better than I expected (although still blurry).

2) The ability to skip cut scenes and fast forward text is amazing.

3) Having the recalibrate button mapped to a dedicated button is also very nice, so you don't have to go into a menu to do it.

4) Free roaming camera!!!

5) Also no Fi...holy fuck, it's a game changer.

6) 60 FPS!

Cons:

1) Not being able to use motion controls for combat + regular controls for flying. This is by far my biggest complaint. Not everyone liked motion controls, but for those who did (me!!)...I don't know a single person that liked using it for flying. So fucking annoying having to switch control type every time I get on the bird. Even worse, the flapping your wings control is mapped to a waggle. FUCK. So you're constantly having to shake your right hand. Jesus christ this is just bad design. If they wanted to keep flying motion based, then it should have been like this: LEFT Joycon for direction control and the right Joycon for flapping your wings. Having two different sets of motion controls on the SAME Joycon is just shit. I can see why they did it: the Nunchuck never used to have a gyro, but this should have been an opportunity to fix that. I can't believe no reviews have mentioned this, it shits me that so few journalists do their fucking jobs.

2) Not being able to skip ALL cut scenes. I wish they made this clear by putting an icon on the screen, so you're not mashing the minus button in hope you can skip it.

3) I don't like how the pouch and save menus are still controlled by motion. Also the free roaming camera. I really wish they let us turn all motion controls off except for combat.

4) The X and ZR buttons going to waste. They are some of the best and most comfy buttons on the controller. WTF, why are they left unused? They could have been used to give us direct access to something. Although maybe they're used later in the game, I don't know.

5) In the Button-only control mode, why is the shield mapped to L3? It fucks with 20 years worth of Zelda history. I just can't get used to it.

6) Not being able to switch the sprint button. A lot of people who have only played BOTW are going to be used to X to sprint, why not give them the option to have the same button layout? Also jumping while locked on and the first person view have different button mappings compared to BOTW. As a Zelda veteran it's not an issue for me, but it seems weird to me that they wouldn't give people an option to make it like BOTW since that's the first Zelda experience for many people.

Overall I would still say this is a must buy for any Zelda fan, but it's weird that it still has so many rough edges. They got rid of Fi though. That alone is worth $60 lol.

$60 isnt a negative for basically a mod?

Kuranghi

Playing right now, I forgot how much of a cheeky tart Zelda is in this game, its brilliant and refreshing after TP Zelda, shes too LotR-elven for me, meanwhile SS Zelda FUCKS. Pushing up on me on top of the statue then cockblocking immediately, like James Bond would do to a bond girl. What the hell is this, I love it.

Groose is great too, insulting his pompadour is the only correct choice at that part and if you don't choose that option you might as well stop playing. I like just leaving it cycling the awesome animations, the one of his minion guys, the tall one, vibrating with worry over Groose leaving was great.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I started playing it on my Wii U a couple of years ago but I dropped it after about 10 hours because the motion controls and flying were too much for me. Now I'm playing the remake with the pro controller and I like it a lot. We'll see if I get bored but for now I'm having fun.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo bet wrong that motion controls should be in games like this. It’s great with wii bowling, but most people don’t want to flail arms while playing Zelda.
Shame on them, really.

Zelda VR remains a pipe dream...

Sometimes those high reviews are deserved but yeah RDR2 also comes to mind with a ridiculous amount of kool aid being drunk at the time by reviewers
If you have 100 hours of free time to spend obsessing over an epic, grounded old world story in one of the most detailed worlds ever, then it's a justified score... but what percentage of the population has life lessons to learn from idle conversations while avoiding fast travel?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Can you imagine a halflife alex quality zelda?
donladboner.jpg

would be amazing.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Playing right now, I forgot how much of a cheeky tart Zelda is in this game, its brilliant and refreshing after TP Zelda, shes too LotR-elven for me, meanwhile SS Zelda FUCKS. Pushing up on me on top of the statue then cockblocking immediately, like James Bond would do to a bond girl. What the hell is this, I love it.

Groose is great too, insulting his pompadour is the only correct choice at that part and if you don't choose that option you might as well stop playing. I like just leaving it cycling the awesome animations, the one of his minion guys, the tall one, vibrating with worry over Groose leaving was great.

Well said.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I know enough Fans including me which definetely want this. Nintendo shall proof us the opposite. But this isnt possible with Nintendos overpriced low tech Hardware
Hardware is a reason too. Switch VR is a joke. Just saying that without motion controls a VR Zelda wouldn't make much sense in terms of gameplay.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

The characters and plot in general are among the best of the series and I don't feel ashamed in saying that. The characters have so much charm and attitude. It becomes especially evident when comparing it to BOTW... which I love but the game thrives from its gameplay. The plot and characters are secondary.

Glad I didn't listen to the salt boys this time around. Motion controls are good, story is great, characters are great, art direction is great. Fantastic Zelda game so far, excited to play a shitton more tomorrow.

Also I hate to use the word "retarded" but what other word describes the console warrior posts in this thread about the controls? Straight embarrassing, yall call yourselves pro gamers smdh.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Also I hate to use the word "retarded" but what other word describes the console warrior posts in this thread about the controls? Straight embarrassing, yall call yourselves pro gamers smdh.
If you want to play with button controls, that's fine, but personally I think it gimps the game of its identity. Motion controls are an essential part of Skyward Sword's D.N.A.
Playing the game without it is kinda missing the point, which is why I always roll my eyes when I see some of the latest reviews talking about how you can now "finally play it without motion"

Yeah.. no thanks, I'll keep playing the game how it was intended to be played.

jigglet

Banned
If you want to play with button controls, that's fine, but personally I think it gimps the game of its identity. Motion controls are an essential part of Skyward Sword's D.N.A.
Playing the game without it is kinda missing the point, which is why I always roll my eyes when I see some of the latest reviews talking about how you can now "finally play it without motion"

Yeah.. no thanks, I'll keep playing the game how it was intended to be played.

I agree, however I really can't agree with flying the bird still being bound to motion. I love motion combat (although I wish the button only alternative was better) but flying with motion is just objectively bad IMO. There's nothing redeeming about it at all. This game sorely needs a hybrid option that lets you use motion for combat and the stick for flying.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The DF video actually made me want to try this game. It’s the only 3D Zelda I’ve not played. It looked good to me based on what was shown (although their complaint that the camera and sword LB situation should be reversed does sound correct). Think I’ll buy this when it’s £30.

jigglet

Banned
The DF video actually made me want to try this game. It’s the only 3D Zelda I’ve not played. It looked good to me based on what was shown (although their complaint that the camera and sword LB situation should be reversed does sound correct). Think I’ll buy this when it’s £30.

That wouldn't fix the fundamental issue. The problem is there's just way too much travel in an analogue stick, imagine it's like the tallest, mushiest button ever made. Even if you just flick it gently instead of pushing it the whole way, there's still too much travel. It just feels bad when you're trying to chain a few hits in quick succession.

This is how I would have done it:

More info here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom