• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SN30 Pro Plus battery dies with no warning

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This fucking thing has done this to me several times and always at the worst possible time.

I'll start Switch up check the battery life on the controller and its half a bar, not showing low at all. Im in the middle of playing not even 10 minutes later and it totally dies and wont turn back on....battery is dead. Wont work again until i fully recharge it.

Happened tonight during the final boss battle in Metroid Dread. Took everything in me not to whip the controller at the wall as hard as i could.

Is the battery indicator on this thing known to be inaccurate or is it faulty? Im so fucking mad right now

Banned
This fucking thing has done this to me several times and always at the worst possible time.

I'll start Switch up check the battery life on the controller and its half a bar, not showing low at all. Im in the middle of playing not even 10 minutes later and it totally dies and wont turn back on....battery is dead. Wont work again until i fully recharge it.

Happened tonight during the final boss battle in Metroid Dread. Took everything in me not to whip the controller at the wall as hard as i could.

Is the battery indicator on this thing known to be inaccurate or is it faulty? Im so fucking mad right now

I would just get a pair of good AA batteries and use those.
this is the exact reason why it's a good thing that controllers like these and Xbox controllers use an open system that allows battery packs or standard AA batteries... because you will always have the choice to just switch to the other and use multiple different manufacturers

there are even AA batteries now that come with micro USB charging cables that you plug in directly into a charger

and there are even REALLY crazy ones like these now:
61HDp3tSKWL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

with a 4 pack you can always have 1 pair charged while using the other pair

Last edited:

Hoddi

I haven't had this exact issue but I've twice had to remove the battery on my Pro 2 because it stopped responding for whatever reason. I use my controller wired to a PC so it might not even be a battery issue per se. As much as I like their controllers then the firmware can be quite wonky at times.

I don't put a lot of stock into 3rd party batteries in general when it comes to reporting. I recently bought a pair of Xbox batteries and they just report 75% charge no matter what.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
this is the exact reason why it's a good thing that controllers like these and Xbox controllers use an open system that allows battery packs or standard AA batteries... because you will always have the choice to just switch to the other and use multiple different manufacturers

there are even AA batteries now that come with micro USB charging cables that you plug in directly into a charger

Shit. Never knew this kind of thing existed.

Maybe I'll try them one day.............. after the 48 pack of Costco batteries I bought for like $16 runs out in the year 2030.

Banned
Shit. Never knew this kind of thing existed.

Maybe I'll try them one day.............. after the 48 pack of Costco batteries I bought for like $16 runs out in the year 2030.
lol, my grandpa always had these battery packs in his garage... UNLIMITED GAMEBOY COLOR POOOWEEEERRR!!! :pie_roffles:
he lived down the street and as a kid I would always run down to his place and ask him for batteries for my GBC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
lol, my grandpa always had these battery packs in his garage... UNLIMITED GAMEBOY COLOR POOOWEEEERRR!!! :pie_roffles:
he lived down the street and as a kid I would always run down to his place and ask him for batteries for my GBC
The dumb thing about batteries is I always store them in a box and either have some in a kitchen cabinet or basement closet. Every once in a while I get the wrecked batteries with acid foaming out. Even some brad new 4-packs I've had this happen. And one time for an old 360 controller, it did that right in the second controller I hardly use.

To lazy to check it out, but I think something to do with temperature and humidity and shit. Well fuck, my house temperature feels fine. lol. Never had a gadget fail though. Just clean out that crusty acid and the thing still works.

Banned
The dumb thing about batteries is I always store them in a box and either have some in a kitchen cabinet or basement closet. Every once in a while I get the wrecked batteries with acid foaming out. Even some brad new 4-packs I've had this happen. And one time for an old 360 controller, it did that right in the second controller I hardly use.

To lazy to check it out, but I think something to do with temperature and humidity and shit. Well fuck, my house temperature feels fine. lol. Never had a gadget fail though. Just clean out that crusty acid and the thing still works.

yeah i had this with one of the controllers in my Xbox controller collection. they always come with 2 AAs and one pair had this when I looked through all the boxes in order to put all the batteries in a plastic box instead of leaving them in the controller boxes

zeomax

To bad this batteries have lower capacity than normal rechargeable. The USB plug and the charging circuit inside reduces the actual battery size by half.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Never updated the firmware on mine - it’s worked absolutely beautifully for 2 years or so now. Battery is insanely impressive on mine, as is the build quality. Just finished Dread hammering this thing. Maybe check if they’ll send you out a new battery?

De5JAbp.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member

To follow on from what zeomax said, you’re better off getting normal rechargeables and a half decent charger. Some of the better ones give you readings on how the battery is doing, so you can see how healthy it is. Just don’t get a cheap knock off charger, they will risk overcharging the batteries and they’ll fail in time.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Never updated the firmware on mine - it’s worked absolutely beautifully for 2 years or so now. Battery is insanely impressive on mine, as is the build quality. Just finished Dread hammering this thing. Maybe check if they’ll send you out a new battery?

De5JAbp.jpg
I had one of those for a few days, sent it back. Didn’t like the face buttons, they didn’t seem right for a modern all purpose controller to me and they were noisy. Ergonomics weren’t bad though.

JimboJones

Well shit!!! I had no idea i could even update the firmware on these things and lo and behold.....LMAO

fqVmavK.jpg

I went from 3.01 to 5.04 so this will hopefully address this issue. Thanks Yall, GAF saves the day again ☺️
It's got some useful software for changing deadzones, for the sticks, triggers and swapping buttons around.

I set up a profile to swap the left stick with the dpad, useful for games like links awakening that don't let you use the dpad for movement.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Well shit!!! I had no idea i could even update the firmware on these things and lo and behold.....LMAO

fqVmavK.jpg

I went from 3.01 to 5.04 so this will hopefully address this issue. Thanks Yall, GAF saves the day again ☺️
Was that updated through the Switch or did you plug in the controller to PC w/ a USB port to get that firmware update?

drotahorror

Both my sn30's including the newest revision working flawlessly knock on wood.

Lol at someone saying they're noisy. Probably never used a series x controller. Click click click click fucking d pad wake the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's got some useful software for changing deadzones, for the sticks, triggers and swapping buttons around.

I set up a profile to swap the left stick with the dpad, useful for games like links awakening that don't let you use the dpad for movement.
Can’t believe I’ve not done this - would be perfect for Smash, Dread and a host of other games.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Might be my imagination, but after i did the update yesterday, controller itself seemed more responsive and when i turned the switch on to sync to it when you hit the button on the controller happened super quick, when before it sometimes took up to 10 seconds.

Was able to chop through the last boss in Metroid Dread last night too, so all is well!
GIF by Declan McKenna

Top Bottom