• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently people are still playing Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast over private servers

I love shit like this.

tumblr_phnn06Ml4R1t51kf8o1_400.gifv

Thinking of picking up a Dreamcast and a broadband adapter and giving this a go.

anyone play this game back in the day? I had no idea private servers/free shards were even a thing on Dreamcast. Apparently there are quite a few private server options. Really cool IMO.

I never played this, despite being the exact target audience for it. Probably should give it a try single player some day.

Aren't Dreamcast broadband adaptors crazy expensive? I wonder if you could somehow rig something up with a USB 56k modem hooked up to a computer and doing some sort of crossover cable thing.

Well, if you can afford a BB adaptor just for it then go for it.
I never played this, despite being the exact target audience for it. Probably should give it a try single player some day.

Aren't Dreamcast broadband adaptors crazy expensive? I wonder if you could somehow rig something up with a USB 56k modem hooked up to a computer and doing some sort of crossover cable thing.
I hadn't looked into the cost of the BB adaptors. they're going for close to $300??? I had no idea.

Impotaku

same with gamecube versions people never stopped playing online theres a few private servers for that as well.

Reactions: Isa
I still play every few weeks. Save yourself some money, skip the broadband adaptor. Use a raspberry pie for Dreampie. I also use a phone cord and a dial up adaptor that spoofs a modem connection.

Or you can get a PSO DC image that is already patched and play on an emulator. I prefer real hardware and using the DC keyboard, it’s a lot of fun.

dave_d

I love shit like this.

tumblr_phnn06Ml4R1t51kf8o1_400.gifv

Thinking of picking up a Dreamcast and a broadband adapter and giving this a go.

anyone play this game back in the day? I had no idea private servers/free shards were even a thing on Dreamcast. Apparently there are quite a few private server options. Really cool IMO.
If you do you need a version of the web browser that supports the BBA so you can configure it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No suprise as the game is fantastic.

Had a group of mates all excited for PSO2, they could not understand my near constant anger at it...

Like ffs they essentially just took the PSO name and turned it into some generic anime weeb shit to sell lootboxes, the gameplay was some of the worst and the plot horrific.... they essentially took a title that had some Warhammer 40k level Tzeentch shit for a plot and replaced it with what ever the fuck PSO2's was... God it was bad.

This music to this day just fills with me with sheer utter bottom of the stomach sadness. Anyone who played long enough to figure out the lore and story to the boss its attached to will know exactly why.

The PC version and it's private servers which people have already advised above is much more accessible for anyone interested and includes Episodes 1, 2 & the PC exclusive Episode 4 Blue Burst (hence the PC version name)

Episode 3 (while important lore wise) was a Nintendo game cube exclusive and took the form of a card game, so was never included with the PC version.

I still go back and play it every now and again

its one of the series I wish SEGA would put the right people on one day, however with the release of the new version of PSO2 and how much money it makes off loot boxes I know that's never going to happen.

Last edited:

Calverz

You are probably easier just playing blue burst on pc. It’s in same lobbies as dreamcast folk I believe. You can hover round on the chairs!

I was just talking about this game with a friend in discord. Pretty cool to see that people are still playing.

This game was so damn cool and ahead of anything else being done on consoles at the time. Right around the time this game came out I had a good friend move across country but we used to squad up on PSO for hours and piss my mom up by tying up the phone line. Good times. I think I'm going to look into this, seems pretty cool Thanks OP

eNT1TY

My parents missed many and often important phone calls while i played this, then we got DSL and i the broadband adapeter.. Good times. Remember how trading was done by dropping an item at your feet and the other person several yards away would do the same and then you both sprinted to the agreed upon trade?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still play every few weeks. Save yourself some money, skip the broadband adaptor. Use a raspberry pie for Dreampie. I also use a phone cord and a dial up adaptor that spoofs a modem connection.

Or you can get a PSO DC image that is already patched and play on an emulator. I prefer real hardware and using the DC keyboard, it’s a lot of fun.
That's so insanely cool. Well done.

PSO on the DC was so much fun, what a treat that must be for the people still actively playing it.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
You are probably easier just playing blue burst on pc. It’s in same lobbies as dreamcast folk I believe. You can hover round on the chairs!
This - I thought hundreds of hours on dreamcast, then gamecube would be enough. Nope. Put in another hundred of hours through private servers. And if I remember correctly, it's pretty easy to set up your own servers too....

Regardless, this thread has now made me want to play PSO again. Thanks guys.

I didn't even realize there were private servers up. I played countless hundreds of hours of this back in the day. I still have my DC and BB adapter. Guess I'll be dusting off the Dreamcast...

Joey.

I love shit like that too.
I never played, I might have been a bit younger than the target audience. I remember my older brother playing it.

I was too busy with Sonic, Power Stone and Rugrats lol :D

Havoc2049

Can vouch for this. Ultima private server is a mess, so avoid that.
Ephinea is a cleaner experience, and quite a few people are often on there.
Ditto. PSO Blue Burst on the Ephinea servers is super easy to set up on PC. There has been a healthy community there for years.

Hell, people are still playing Phantasy Star 0 on their DS/3DS online.

Top Bottom