• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So far, Series X and PS5 are pretty disappointing upgrades over One X and PS4Pro

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I dunno. That SSD speed is a game changer.

Lot of games are still cross gen. Wait until we see some games that are only on these consoles. Rumor has it a few of those will be shown at TGS.

MikeM

60fps ruins a lot of games for me. TLOU2 at 60 just looks funky and ruins the cinematic nature of the game. Same with spiderman, the animations just look weird at 60.

I prefer to play at 30 whenever I can to avoid that weird soap opera look.

The only time I play at 60 is when the 30fps mode has bad frame times like House of Ashes and Little Nightmares 2 because that crap is more annoying.
Tonight Show Nbc GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

WoJ

Series X is all about fast load times and Quick Resume for me. I'm not expecting much in terms of graphical upgrades and 9th gen specific games right now. But the consoles are nice and as I said, Quick Resume and SSD are game changers for me.

Gamerguy84

I can almost see your point but disagree. I still have a PRO hooked up and use it.

PS5 is superior in every way. The loading alone makes it a pretty big upgrade. Then of course performance mode is a big deal. I know some PRO games have it but then you can see a difference in fidelity pretty easy.

To your point though these are half step consoles and dabble between PS4 and PS5. Anyone that jumped from PS4 and X1 to PS5 and Series X thinks it's a pretty big jump.

Sakura

The power gap between these consoles and last gen consoles isn't as large as it used to be. Add on to that they are targetting higher resolutions and framerates, and there isn't going to be much left to really "wow" you.

Kappa

Its more that there are no good new games. Gonna have to wait 1-2 more years before the good stuff gets developed

Hunnybun

Diminishing returns. The next upgrade will be smaller unless there's some big breakthrough in tech.
And to be fair we've hardly had a lot of true next gen games. The few like Ratchet and Demon Souls have looked and performed great for early exclusives, offering a noticeable visual upgrade while still having a 60fps mode.

If you were expecting mindblowing next gen graphics at native 4K, 60fps and with full ray tracing support for $400 you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's likely that next gen will be the transition to properly ray traced graphics, so that will almost certainly be a huge leap. The only thing I could imagine spoiling that is if we get some stupid drive for 8k resolutions.

mrBandoza

Neo Member
I think the whole package is the improvement. New controllers, faster load times and awesome backwards compatibility that enables you to make a seamless transition from last gen. A little bit like PS1-PS2. I only have the PS5 and I agree the graphical difference compared to PS4 pro is not staggering. But the load times and 60 fps is something I wouldn't like to be without now that I have tried it. Miles Morales was a really great experience and felt a lot smoother and better looking then the PS4 Pro version.

The biggest difference for me was that I upgraded to a OLED TV and I think that jump was greater than the graphical leaps in games currently. As it is now I would not recommend to upgrade to a PS5 if you have a PS4 Pro. Better to wait for more games. I bought the PS5 to play Horizon Forbidden West. Unfortunately the launch was postponed so now I go through my backlog instead playing Star Wars: Fallen order. I think it is quite a looker even if it is a last gen game.

Hunnybun

It really is. The geometry density, texture detail and variety, particle effects and 60fps including RT make this game a genarational leap above those mid gen upgrades. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart opening sequence is the greatest showcase for current gen in my opinion.

It really irritates me when people act like it's some kind of marginal difference. No, it's a fucking BIG difference. At native 4k, with really good RT, and 40fps if you have the right TV.

And the opening sequence isn't even close to the most impressive part, imo. The beginning of the prison level for example, when you're running through the storms, genuinely looks like CGI to me.

It's hard to measure objectively what a next gen leap is, but just in the obvious sense of how impressive something seems, Ratchet is at least as big a leap from the 2016 game as that was from the PS3 games.

It really irritates me when people act like it's some kind of marginal difference. No, it's a fucking BIG difference. At native 4k, with really good RT, and 40fps if you have the right TV.

And the opening sequence isn't even close to the most impressive part, imo. The beginning of the prison level for example, when you're running through the storms, genuinely looks like CGI to me.

It's hard to measure objectively what a next gen leap is, but just in the obvious sense of how impressive something seems, Ratchet is at least as big a leap from the 2016 game as that was from the PS3 games.
But Rift Apart doesn't look THAT much better than the 2016 version. I feel like the improvements in Rift Apart could've been a natural evolution from the 2016 game and I truly believe Rift Apart could've been a cross-gen game if you wanted to see some loading times for certain parts.

I feel like Rift Apart could run on PS4 Pro at 1440p/30 with some minor cut backs to draw distance, fur detail and particles, but it would essentially look like any other cross gen game.

Alebrije

People asking great improvements for 450 US are a litte out of touch about 2020 part costs when PS5 was released.

Also PS5 is a great improvement vs PS4, PS4 Pro should be compared to PS5 Pro if Sony releases one. You have SSD, haptic control, Backwards comp, better cooling system that translates on less noise and longer lifespan.

PS5 is not perfect its ray tracing is lame, you hardly will get 4k 60fps and RT at the same time on a game, 8k games will be scarce and graphically basic but for te price is a great deal considering its PS4 library and future games.

Do not even think we will get 4k native, 60 fps, full RT games on a PS5 Pro, this maybe will be on PS6.

Quick resume alone is the only upgrade I think that is justifiable for this jump
The graphical upgrade from one x to series x is not that big.
But Forza horizon 4 takes about 3 minutes to get into game , whereas series x takes about 5 seconds to start from where u left off
If that's not next gen I don't know what is.
Almost all major games are 60 fps instead of 30 fps , I think it's the biggest Jump in console generation ever

Neo_game

I know what you mean but the previous gen X was released in 2017 for 500$. These consoles are pretty good for what they offer. The fact is that there is not going to be a big jump this time around. The jump will be 2x fps and 2x resolution. If the fps is 30fps it will be native 4K instead. I hope they compromise the resolution for better gfx detail. So something like 1440P is good enough IMO.

Knightime_X

If you're "playing" games purely for technical advancements you're going it wrong.

Sounds like one of those boomers who upgrades once every 15 years to be impressed.

Just wait until playstation 7 and Xxx box xxx drop.

It’s mostly been a positive move from gen8 to gen9, load times being super improved is great, plus expanded visuals.

I think your issue is that of diminishing returns in hardware advancements+rendering techniques.

Games will only see small incremental jumps as we progress now. The UE5 boat will be a bigger step with lumen and nanite once the wind fully hits it sails.

Hunnybun

But Rift Apart doesn't look THAT much better than the 2016 version. I feel like the improvements in Rift Apart could've been a natural evolution from the 2016 game and I truly believe Rift Apart could've been a cross-gen game if you wanted to see some loading times for certain parts.

I feel like Rift Apart could run on PS4 Pro at 1440p/30 with some minor cut backs to draw distance, fur detail and particles, but it would essentially look like any other cross gen game.

Well, this is where the subjectivity comes in. What you're essentially saying is that the game could've run on base PS4 at 1080p with minor cutbacks. But I never saw any PS4 game look remotely as good, so I'm sceptical. God of War is the best looking PS4 game imo and even that has nowhere near the level of geometry, or objects on screens, just to name a couple of metrics. I'll try to post some screenshots for comparison once I'm on my laptop.

Well, this is where the subjectivity comes in. What you're essentially saying is that the game could've run on base PS4 at 1080p with minor cutbacks. But I never saw any PS4 game look remotely as good, so I'm sceptical. God of War is the best looking PS4 game imo and even that has nowhere near the level of geometry, or objects on screens, just to name a couple of metrics. I'll try to post some screenshots for comparison once I'm on my laptop.
Look at Horizon Zero Dawn to Horizon Forbidden West. That's about the same upgrade as R&C 2016 to Rift Apart.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The consoles have been great, but not game changing. SDD and Game Pass for me are the biggest leap forward in gaming. Quality of life and amazing value.

Hunnybun

My point is, HFB is going to run on PS4 too.

With minor cutbacks? If so, it'll be by far the best looking PS4 game ever.

But tbf I am kind of puzzled how they're going to do the downgrade at all, so I'm sure the end results will be impressive. It'll surely be even more drastic than FH5.

With minor cutbacks? If so, it'll be by far the best looking PS4 game ever.

But tbf I am kind of puzzled how they're going to do the downgrade at all, so I'm sure the end results will be impressive. It'll surely be even more drastic than FH5.
Kena Bridge of Spirits looks pretty convincingly like CGI, and that also runs on PS4 with a little bit less grass here and there. If these games are looking as good as they are in cross-gen, then wait until you see what's truly in store for this generation. You'll look back at Ragnarock and Forbidden West and think to yourself they're rather plain looking.

Hunnybun

Kena Bridge of Spirits looks pretty convincingly like CGI, and that also runs on PS4 with a little bit less grass here and there. If these games are looking as good as they are in cross-gen, then wait until you see what's truly in store for this generation. You'll look back at Ragnarock and Forbidden West and think to yourself they're rather plain looking.

I agree that things will get much more impressive, as they always do. I just also think games like Horizon and Ratchet are generational advances at the same.

I think Kena looks great but is a fundamentally different case from e.g. HFW. I think a lot of its impact is just that it's very beautiful artistically, so it's easy to be seduced by it. But if you try to look at it objectively it's clear that it's nowhere near as graphically complex as Ratchet or what we've seen so far of Horizon.

I'm impatient playing tales of arise with 5 second load times on my XsX... I couldnt imagine going back to last gen when its 30 seconds...this gen has been the best when it comes to early feature set...in the past you had to wait 2 or 3 years to really see the benefits...the QOL features so far have been superb.

Astral Dog

It's immaterial, the way of producing games is still the same, the crossgen thing is a red herring. The engines are scalable, having a previous gen version doesn't affect much. If something like nanite actually begins to be used and fulfills the promises of the tech demo, then we might talk about something else, but even then, that comes at a cost of 1440p at 30 fps. It's just a very modest jump. Only 5 times jump in performance from the previous gen.

I'm happy with the machine, I like the games, but it's a generation without a wow factor and I think it will stay like this.
The CPU is at least 4x more powerful but they can't use it to its full potential unless its not a cross gen game

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People saying that "raytracing is lame" probably forgot that Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, had full RT pipeline running at 1440p/60. Obviously if you combine raster and RT, it's not going to perform well, but if you do this chad approach it work really well.

NT80

The PS5 Pro and Xbox series XXL will be the upgrades over the PS4 Pro and X One X if they happen though I can't see Microsoft having a 3rd console out there with another confusing name.

Hunnybun

People saying that "raytracing is lame" probably forgot that Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, had full RT pipeline running at 1440p/60. Obviously if you combine raster and RT, it's not going to perform well, but if you do this chad approach it work really well.

That game is so fucking impressive. Proper RT GI like that is basically a generational leap on its own, and vastly more worthwhile than the reflections in something like Ratchet.

If this approach becomes trhe standard we'll get some really mindblowing visuals by the end of the generation.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That game is so fucking impressive. Proper RT GI like that is basically a generational leap on its own, and vastly more worthwhile than the reflections in something like Ratchet.

If this approach becomes trhe standard we'll get some really mindblowing visuals by the end of the generation.
My impression as well. People downplaying it, because models and textures are not up to "gen leap", which is shame. Because technically it's probably the most next-gen game now.

Hunnybun

My impression as well. People downplaying it, because models and textures are not up to "gen leap", which is shame. Because technically it's probably the most next-gen game now.

The crazy thing is that I thought the original RT implementation the game had was already easily the most impressive use of RT in a game, and then not only was this redesign a quantum leap over that, but actually less demanding, AND viable on consoles, AND at 60fps.

It really does seem to point the way for next gen graphics.

WorldHero

I see where OP is coming from. I was day one with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as well as PS5 and XSX. The improvements have been incremental with the exception of loading times. Ratchet and Clank being the most close to next gen experience I could justify. I think most of the blame has to do with the cross gen focus. BF2042 with it's empty levels and limited destruction is a game that looks severely hampered by trying to be playable on last gen machines. To make it worse, most of the next major releases look to be made with a last gen playable version in mind (GT7, God of War, Halo, next Forza, etc.) which will probably have us feeling more the same until much later in this console cycle.

It's quite frustrating as a consumer that really looks for boundary pushing experiences.

MacReady13

I don't know what some of you expect- I was playing through Far Cry 6 yesterday on PS5 and the level of detail and beautiful scenery was astounding. All at a brisk 60 fps! Gaming today, if nothing else, looks amazing!

Shtef

I agree, even though we got powerful consoles, the jump doesnt feel big like from previous generations. Every console generation we had some games that looked amazing and not achievable on previous ones, now we have same games but in 4k 60fps.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I think this footage shows off Ratchet pretty well. There's no last gen game that looks anything close to this

This looks like the 60fps mode too? And it's only 1080.

Going from the performance mode to the fidelity mode was a massive jump in image quality and overall "Next-Gen" ness when I played it. I played it at 30fps fidelity because the different was just too big to me. It looked absolutely incredible.

Yeah, the new systems are not disappointing.

People asking great improvements for 450 US are a litte out of touch about 2020 part costs when PS5 was released.

Also PS5 is a great improvement vs PS4, PS4 Pro should be compared to PS5 Pro if Sony releases one. You have SSD, haptic control, Backwards comp, better cooling system that translates on less noise and longer lifespan.

PS5 is not perfect its ray tracing is lame, you hardly will get 4k 60fps and RT at the same time on a game, 8k games will be scarce and graphically basic but for te price is a great deal considering its PS4 library and future games.

Do not even think we will get 4k native, 60 fps, full RT games on a PS5 Pro, this maybe will be on PS6.
Correct me if I'm wrong but not even a RTX3090 can do native 4k 60fps with ray tracing on most games.

Romulus

I'm sure there will be a fair share of games that look a cut above last gen, but I agree with the OP. But that's to be expected, its early.
I think what will see the biggest gain is PSVR2. There a gargantuan difference between psvr1 and higher end PCVR, and much of that is because of the CPU disparity. Ps5 has enough grunt being a closed box to pull off some real lookers, especially if that foveated rendering tech is baked in.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Nah, we're just being tethered to the previous gen due to a horrible mix of hardware shortages and a global pandemic.

I'm excited to see some proper current-gen titles like Fable.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The consoles have been great, but not game changing. SDD and Game Pass for me are the biggest leap forward in gaming. Quality of life and amazing value.

Agreed. The SSD is worth the price of admission alone. Eventually we'll see some current-gen only releases and those will be the ones that really work the SSDs and all the new features. I'm super impressed with the graphics on FH5, so the sky is the limit for me. Now that the console cycle has been shortened by the mid-gen machines, the jumps from a technical perspective are just going to be smaller. They can only do so much in three or four years.

What will be interesting is the price points of any new iterations. Do we get what we got last gen, where they basically stick to the original price points or do they push upwards. I've always thought it would be interesting to see what they could do with an $800, $900, or $1k price point or something like that.

Hunnybun

This looks like the 60fps mode too? And it's only 1080.

Going from the performance mode to the fidelity mode was a massive jump in image quality and overall "Next-Gen" ness when I played it. I played it at 30fps fidelity because the different was just too big to me. It looked absolutely incredible.

Yeah, the new systems are not disappointing.

I think this is the performance RT mode yeah. Sorry if the video is only in 1080, I'm on my phone so just picked one at random.

In terms of the different modes, I found the choice depended hugely on how close I was to the screen. To begin with I was about 6 ft from a 65" screen and I found the difference between 4k and 1440p to be a bit stark. I ended up just playing without RT as I found the extra pixels much more attractive than the fancy reflections.

But then we rearranged our setup so I'm now about 8ft away. From that distance I can hardly tell the difference so I just use RT performance.

I'd happily play at 40fps though if it made a bigger difference, that was a great update.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
How could you not be disappointed ? Look at God of War sequel, Ragnarok. On 8x more powerful console looks identical to GOW 2018 lmao
Ragnarok looks better but it's still crossgen, it isn't made from the ground up for the PS5, Santa Monica's next game will be

Top Bottom