• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Fences had it's first screening this past Saturday and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Fences had a screening this past Saturday in front of 1400 Academy voters, Screen Actors Guild members, award bloggers, and journalists and despite reviews being embargoed the reactions indicate that Fences is a lock for multiple nominations. It also looks like Denzel and Viola are now the frontrunners in their respective acting categories in Male Lead, and Female supporting actress to win it.

Kyle Buchanan from Vulture tweeted
Fences, full of titanic performances and well-measured support, will be a major awards contender. Viola Davis is unbeatable. Sorry, ladies. Denzel Washington will be hard to surpass in Best Actor. As garrulous, domineering Troy Maxson, he’s likely to earn his third Oscar. Denzel has more lines in the first 10 minutes of FENCES than any other Best Actor contender has got in their entire film. Denzel Washington is the only black actor to win two Oscars. FENCES is liable to extend that achievement by one. FENCES has a few Supporting Actor contenders. Mykelti Williamson is the flashiest but I preferred smart, subtle Jovan Adepo as Denzel’s son

Awards Daily’s Sasha Stone tweeted
Fences is a brilliant work from Denzel Washington who paid August Wilson respect by not trying to upstage the writing. Denzel Washington gives his biggest, most important and best performance to date as Troy. Viola Davis is the heart of the film as Rose.
Fences blew me away. It’s all writing and acting but to watch pros like that with that script. I was bedazzled. Fences is like watching Mamet or Shakespeare. Don’t waste my time with a review if you don’t get that it’s all about the language.

IndieWire’s Anne Thompson tweeted
“Denzel Washington knocks Fences out of the park as director and actor; Viola Davis and Mykelti Williamson will also be Oscar Contenders. Washington and entire cast for Q & A. Fences is moving cinema despite August Wilson adapting his own play. But it's the actors' show.”

Glenn Whipp from the LA times tweeted:
This audience was really with FENCES. Big roars of approval and applause throughout. Lots of love for Denzel. Even more for Viola Davis.

Scott Mantz from Access Hollywood tweeted:
Cannot stop thinking about @FencesMovie! So powerful & beautiful! #DenzelWashington & #ViolaDavis are magnificent!
FENCES: Holy moly, WOW! Powerful film! #DenzelWashington & #ViolaDavis are the stuff that GREAT PERFORMANCES are made of! #FencesMovie

Jeffrey Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere weighs in on ''Fences'':
''Denzel Washington‘s 'Fences' (Paramount, 12.25), which everyone saw last night, is going to kick major Oscar nomination ass — guaranteed noms for Best Picture, Best Director (Denzel), Best Actor (ditto) and Best Supporting Actress (Viola Davis, 100% locked to win)…bare minimum. Mykelti Williamson may snag a Best Supporting Actor nom as Denzel’s mentally damaged brother.

''I can’t “review” it until the embargo lifts, but c’mon…we were all there last night. It screened, it happened. Fences is stagey but clean (i.e., unfettered), eloquent, emotionally affecting, smooth and damn near close to perfect. It’s a heartfelt, beautifully refined thing, and every semi-intelligent moviegoer over 30 will rush to see it. The unwashed, un-cultured morons will say it’s not cinematic or 'Dr. Strange'-y enough and stay away, but what else is new?''
Entertainment Weekly
Fences early reactions: Viola Davis, Denzel Washington are serious Oscar contenders

Variety Magazine
Denzel Washington, Viola Davis Become Instant Oscar Frontrunners in ‘Fences’

LA Times
Oscar Watch: Make way for Denzel Washington's 'Fences' in updated Oscar predictions

AwardsDaily
The First Fences Screening Earns Standing Ovation; Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Will be Tough to Beat

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I will have to check this out. I love the stageplay version and the times James Earl Jones did it was spectacular. I'm hoping Denzel can match him.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Viola Davis sells shit like no other. Just from the trailer alone, I was getting chills from her. If she has enough to work with in this film, she is going home with the Gold, no questions asked.

I would like to see Denzel get a nom for Best Director more than Actor, with Ava getting one for Best Doc.

Viola Davis sells shit like no other. Just from the trailer alone, I was getting chills from her. If she has enough to work with in this film, she is going home with the Gold, no questions asked.

I would like to see Denzel get a nom for Best Director more than Actor, with Ava getting one for Best Doc.

From all accounts the Supporting Actress race is over, people think Viola is already a lock to win.

Very cool. This looks like a film to watch for.

The unwashed, un-cultured morons will say it’s not cinematic or 'Dr. Strange'-y enough and stay away, but what else is new?

What a stupid fucking sentiment

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People liked that trailer? It almost made my eyes roll out of my head.

I'm really looking forward to this. Currently writing a paper on Fences and I might expand it to Wilson's other plays for my master thesis. Sounds like we're getting beast-mode Denzel here.

Moonlight tho

Just kidding, it's great to have more fantastic black movies.

Been loving Viola Davis since Solaris. She was one of the only good parts of Suicide Squad. Cannot wait for her to kill the screen.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What about it elicits such a reaction from you?

I made the (maybe false?) assumption that they were trying to portray the Denzel character as admirable. I don't know anything about this except what I saw in the trailer in a theater.

I made the (maybe false?) assumption that they were trying to portray the Denzel character as admirable. I don't know anything about this except what I saw in the trailer in a theater.

The character is a multi dimensional complex character, and he is indeed admirable in a lot of ways. You should watch the movie because you'll understand the character better along with his strengths and faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom