• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, hows the new Kirby DS game thats almost out?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Anyone play the Japanese version? How was it?

Do You Have the Magic Touch?

Category: Action
Players: 1 player
Release Date: Jun 13, 2005
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: HAL Laboratory Inc.

Your DS stylus has been magically infused with the power to paint! When Kirby gets turned into a ball by an evil witch, your hand-drawn rainbow paths become the only way he can find power-ups and reach the gates of each world. Draw loops to make him speed up, make ramps to jump danger, and draw walls to block laser beams and cannon blasts as you explore seven levels packed with adventure.

Features

Stun enemies, break blocks, and much more -- all with a touch of the stylus
Tap Kirby to dash into enemies and copy their abilities. Turn into Wheel Kirby, Burning Kirby, Stone Kirby, and many more. There are 11 Copy Abilities in all!
Try timed challenges, take on bosses in unique battles, or play simple but addictive minigames.

Kirby: Canvas Curse delivers classic Kirby action with a fun twist. Using the stylus to control Kirby's movements is surprisingly intuitive, and the new control scheme provides many unique gameplay challenges. The rainbow paths you draw guide Kirby through the game, but they also can protect Kirby from falling icicles, lasers, cannon blasts and other hazards. In addition to drawing paths, the stylus can also be used to stun enemies, destroy barriers, detonate bombs and much more.

Each of the game's seven levels is divided into three stages, and each stage holds three hidden medals. Some are easy to find, while others are either well-hidden or heavily protected. You can also earn medals by completing other tasks in the game. You don't need to find these medals to complete the game, but the medals you recover can be traded in to unlock special features like new ink colors for the paths you draw with the stylus.

Finding all of the medals in the game will be a tough task even for experienced gamers, and a collection of unlockable minigames adds even more replay value to Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Bottom Line

Kirby: Canvas Curse delivers all of the classic copying action Kirby fans expect, while utilizing some of the most innovative touch-screen controls we've seen on Nintendo DS. Don't let Kirby's pink exterior fool you -- Canvas Curse is a perfectly balanced game that will challenge players of all skill levels. Coming June 13!
e60512a4-1a70-4311-a9f8-975dd42e0683.jpg

4139cbc7-1e53-411d-b4b5-f8345b6d375f.jpg

fe80369e-e32a-499e-9c7c-9f5169eb4b43.jpg

9097ebff-6247-49da-ba8a-fb3f0764b115.jpg

61180076-140e-426d-b7ec-a83169d5c3d1.jpg

4dc6167d-27f8-4596-818f-81f9f19fb5da.jpg

a0335fd7-093d-4461-a78a-cc6136847600.jpg

d326fb14-c0b3-405b-886a-dd1d5014563e.jpg

2cdafffa-1d09-4587-919f-8895b7ecf083.jpg

94c1994a-53f9-47ee-aa75-c1b690d9086d.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I've heard its much better and longer then Yoshi's touch and go, I preordered it.

Meier

Played it at E3 and was super impressed with the concept.. control is a bit difficult although I am sure once you get it down, it'll come second nature.

demi

I would very much like to buy this on day 1, but I'll wait until day 13 when GAF shows it's impressions...which in the end don't matter anyway when compared to the demi factor

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Johnny Nighttrain said:
from 2 different galaxies.

in any case, Kirby rocks.

Hehe, would you care to elaborate, I was under the impressions they both shared a similar core in gameplay.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Well, I guess I could have done that, but still, its always nice to get updated impressions from people who've had a chance to play the game for a longer period of time.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
everything I have heard about this game has been glowing... Getting Puyo Pop, Meteos and this all within a month.. and my busride to work is only about 15 minutes.. I think I need to find a job further away :p

Ark-AMN

Banned
Heh, the main reason I've been wondering about this is cause I've planned on picking up a DS very soon and I've been waiting primarily for a platform game, and this looked nice from the screenshots.

E3 really sold me on a DS, the games I'm really looking foward to are:

Meteos
Lost In Blue
Trace Memory
Trauma Surgeon
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Nanostray
Castlevania
New Mario Bros
Mario & Luigi

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Kirby is really great - as long as you're interested in collecting the tokens scattered thorughout each level. If you're not, or at least don't show a vague interest in it, the game will be over really soon, and you'll wonder what all the hooplah was about. Kirby's a great game that does well with the DS concept, but the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the last few areas of the game. I had friends wow'ed by the game's first few levels, and then lose interest simply because there's a lacking sense of accomplishment if you aren't being a collect-a-whore.

That looks fucking awesome ...

Edit, mmf, artwise, at the least ... exXy you make it sound like a similar experience to Kuru Kuru Kururin; a great idea in need of a tighter sequel.

Come to think of it, is it likely there's gonna be any Kururin lovin' on the DS?

Rlan

Suikoguy said:
Hehe, would you care to elaborate, I was under the impressions they both shared a similar core in gameplay.

Yoshi Touch and Go is a very basic game in terms of premise. It really should have come with some more modes or little mini-games. Even so, It's y most played game right now. Very easy to play a game for 10 minutes while on the john ;P

Kirby, from my understanding, is basically just a new Kirby game, but uses the stylus to maneuver Kirby around the course instead of his usual abilities. Kirby always has been the best character for off-shoot games [Like Kirby Pinball Land].

mrklaw

MrArseFace
eXxy said:
Kirby is really great - as long as you're interested in collecting the tokens scattered thorughout each level. If you're not, or at least don't show a vague interest in it, the game will be over really soon, and you'll wonder what all the hooplah was about. Kirby's a great game that does well with the DS concept, but the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the last few areas of the game. I had friends wow'ed by the game's first few levels, and then lose interest simply because there's a lacking sense of accomplishment if you aren't being a collect-a-whore.

Kind of agree. But there are two kind of collect-a-thons.

Mario 64/Sonic the Hedgehog - "few coins/jewels to collect and in carefully chosen places that give you a sense of reward finding them"

Banjo Kazooie - "Collect five zillion notes sprinkled randomly everywhere with no thought put to them, and we'll give you a peanut"

Kirby is the first one. The coins are placed in awkward spots. Sometimes you can't see them except on the map, sometimes you pass by but can't see a way in. It really gets you thinking how to get them, and incentivises you to go back and see how many you can get.

The only ones I'm not sure about are the time trial/ink trial coins - I'm getting a little impatient with those.

Still, great game. Possibly my favourite DS game so far.

Edit, mmf, artwise, at the least ... exXy you make it sound like a similar experience to Kuru Kuru Kururin; a great idea in need of a tighter sequel.

It gave me a Kuju Kuru feel playing it. Not just the art style, but the way the later levels tighten up, making tight control of Kirby much more important - especially the spiky levels.

Originally Posted by eXxy:

Kind of agree. But there are two kind of collect-a-thons.

Mario 64/Sonic the Hedgehog - "few coins/jewels to collect and in carefully chosen places that give you a sense of reward finding them"

Banjo Kazooie - "Collect five zillion notes sprinkled randomly everywhere with no thought put to them, and we'll give you a peanut"

Kirby is the first one. The coins are placed in awkward spots. Sometimes you can't see them except on the map, sometimes you pass by but can't see a way in. It really gets you thinking how to get them, and incentivises you to go back and see how many you can get.

The only ones I'm not sure about are the time trial/ink trial coins - I'm getting a little impatient with those.

Still, great game. Possibly my favourite DS game so far.

Quote:

It gave me a Kuju Kuru feel playing it. Not just the art style, but the way the later levels tighten up, making tight control of Kirby much more important - especially the spiky levels.

I totally agree about Banjo-Kazooie. Much like Donkey Kong 64, its collect-a-thons were just total chores. I'm thrilled to hear that Kirby's item collection is more akin to Mario 64.

shibbs

I really need a new DS game. I only got Mario 64 and Wario ware, ive had those since the launch. Wanted the get Yoshi but heard its quite short, so when are kirby and meteos coming out in europe?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shibbs said:
I really need a new DS game. I only got Mario 64 and Wario ware, ive had those since the launch. Wanted the get Yoshi but heard its quite short, so when are kirby and meteos coming out in europe?

Kirby and Meteos both pencilled in for Sept. 1st.

Pacpix is out now, but I don't know what thats like. Or Bomberman DS on July 1st (I'll get if I can persuade anyone else to buy a DS to play against)

Or import. The japanese version is mostly Kana menus so easyish to read, and the tutorials are graphical so no problem. Or get the US version.

gunstarhero

I just posted a topic on this not too long ago - here - I wound up picking up Yoshi, and it's pretty good - much better then I thought. As long as you go into it wanting a shirty arcady type of game and NOT a platformer. It's pretty addictive, and you'll probably play it in shirt bursts (like an arcade), but I would not pay anything over 20 bucks for it.

Meteos and Kirby are my next picks -

sasimirobot

WOW! Just got it today and....just....wow. The package, book, stylus holder and cart all scream super minimalist Japanese candy store aesthetic . I wouldnt doubt if somebody on a hit of acid will try to eat the thing.
DSC00256.jpg

Oh yeah. The game. Nice. Real nice...takes a few minutes to pick up the pace. My girlie even said "this is too simple" while she just blazed through the first 4-5 stages, but she got owned soon enough.

Sapiens

sasimirobot said:
WOW! Just got it today and....just....wow. The package, book, stylus holder and cart all scream super minimalist Japanese candy store aesthetic . I wouldnt doubt if somebody on a hit of acid will try to eat the thing.
DSC00256.jpg

Oh yeah. The game. Nice. Real nice...takes a few minutes to pick up the pace. My girlie even said "this is too simple" while she just blazed through the first 4-5 stages, but she got owned soon enough.

That DS looks absolutely enormous in your girlfriend's hands. Tres petite.

sasimirobot

I have been playing this almost everyday at work (in 1/2 hour bursts) for the last week or so and Im still only at less than 20% complete.

Some of the Coins are tricky to find and even though I opened the final boss/level, I wont try to beat it until I find all the coins. I can see this game taking way more than 20 hours to really finish.

The coin collection is not tedious at all and the long jump game at the end of levels is fun enough to be a mini-game all of its own. Reminds me of "Track and Field" from the old school days.

Pros:
-best graphics on DS
-excellent gameplay and physics
-replay value high

Cons:
-boss reruns
-useless power ups (WTF is with the balloon power up on boards with alot of spikes?)

Overall I cant say it really kicks Touch Yoshi ass like alot of people seem to think, but it is definately a fine game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
cant wait to nab this game.. think Im going to grab some other DS games at the same time and have a portable gaming athon. Plus, I start a new job in two weeks and Im going to be flying all the fuck over the country for about 8 months, so I will have plently of time to play these.

Top Bottom