• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Actually Played Amazon's Luna . . .

Thinly veiled advertising. OP on ignore list.
I found out I was entitled to "free" games that I wasn't aware of, for years. Figured others would be in the same boat. Amazon Prime offers more than I thought. That's all I was going for.

Now click on my link for Amazon Prime subscription and don't forget to like, comment and subscribe. You can also catch me on Twitch M-F at 7pm or my OnlyFans every night at midnight, :messenger_winking:

Matt_Fox

Imaging in a dystopian future where you can no longer play game locally, meaning you could never import games from foreign region, you could never play game outside of censorship, and you could never own anything.

What you're describing isnt cloud gaming, its digital only libraries. The end of physical.

That's upon us already. Music and film are almost 100% there. PC has gone 100% fully digital. Video game boxed charts are dwarfed by digital sales, and it sounds like Sony's next console will be weaning gamers off the disc drive, by reluctantly including it as an extra peripheral.

Cloud gaming will simply be Sony PlayCloud or whatever its called, and it will have store fronts for each country. You'll have the UK one in £, the Japanese one in yen, and localised if there are sensitivities or censorship. Video game companies are in the entertainment business of selling fun, this grim dystopia you're projecting is very much at odds with that. I think you're worrying too much. The delivery may change but gaming will be the same.

SeraphJan

What you're describing isnt cloud gaming, its digital only libraries. The end of physical.

That's upon us already. Music and film are almost 100% there. PC has gone 100% fully digital. Video game boxed charts are dwarfed by digital sales, and it sounds like Sony's next console will be weaning gamers off the disc drive, by reluctantly including it as an extra peripheral.

Cloud gaming will simply be Sony PlayCloud or whatever its called, and it will have store fronts for each country. You'll have the UK one in £, the Japanese one in yen, and localised if there are sensitivities or censorship. Video game companies are in the entertainment business of selling fun, this grim dystopia you're projecting is very much at odds with that. I think you're worrying too much. The delivery may change but gaming will be the same.
1. Digital and Physical co-exists now, but if cloud gaming takes over, there is no way cloud gaming would co-exist with physical, or at least not to the same extent (cloud gaming hardware will be unlikely to support physical -> Publisher hesitate to release physical to cut cost -> Completely gone)

2. Cloud gaming is different from Digital, for digital at least the above solution that I mentioned works (Foreign paywall, VPNs to connect to foreign server to download), but for cloud gaming even that option is taken away (you can't expect anyone to enjoy their game with how laggy foreign servers are). I'm not thinking too much, because I knew people that literally already been dealing with these issues.

3. If Cloud gaming take over completely, the gaming landscape will not be the same as today, censorship will become much easier both on the corporate side and government side, publisher will not longer release their builds publicly meaning services like GOG where you could own game permanently will not longer have newer games in its libraries, not to mention you could kiss MOD good bye.

4. I understand what cloud gaming brings to the table, but its cons outweighs the pros, I would rather use my own hardware combined with remote play to achieve flexibility, I know its not the same but that's a compromise I could take.

You are free to support cloud gaming, everyone are entitled to their opinion, however my stance will not change: if cloud gaming becomes mainstream, its bad for gaming as a whole.

Last edited:

Onironauta

You've made the second part up.

In those country, games are heavily censored, if cloud gaming toke over they would have no means of even playing video games. The service will not be officially supported in their country, they would have to deal with pay wall barriers, VPNs (which might be illegal in their region), and connection to foreign server which usually having 200ms+ of latency, while now they could order games over sea, they could buy used hardware and games for cheap. Cloud gaming will not benefit consumer, it only serves corporate interest and government censorship.
There are many countries like Brazil where electronics are super overpriced (on top of the salaries being low), but games are not tipically censored and cloud gaming like GeforceNow and Xbox Cloud are available without VPN

Top Bottom