• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So i Am Going to be Building A New PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-COVID of Fall 2019 was the last time I've bought completely new parts and built a new PC.

At the time it was packed with one of top tier AMD CPUs. Here is the current build I am still rocking with

Case - Corsair 110R Tempered Glass Mid-Tower
PSU - EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ Gold
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1 TB
Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRam 32GB (8GB X 4)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 24-Threads
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC Black Gaming Edition 6GB

This PC is primarily been used for the last 4 or so years for a bit of casual streaming and mostly World of Warcraft, Overwatch and Fortnite. I don't really play on it that much. Sometimes I do some 3D work like Blender/Max/Maya and the GPU can become an issue. Mainly however, it is a video editing and rendering machine for 4K at 60 FPS for YouTuhe Videos/Work in Adobe Premier. Also, a ton of Social Media work. I run with 2, 4K 60 Hertz LG monitors.

The PC is still decent, but it's starting to show its age. Can't really any new games on high settings at stable framerates even at 1080. Like Warhammer 40K Darktide or even Fortnite with its UE5 upgrade. Any heavy future release like Starfield will be taking a massive dump with this old ass GPU.

I've been very tempted to get a 4090, but I feel that it won't fit my case as it is a massive card and I am running a mid tower. PSU at 750 watts is also kind of dangerous for a top of the line GPU. Moving forward I also want to do more solo indie UE5 development work during my free time for fun.

I am also a 3D artist on the side so it would be a lot of heavy polygon assets (assuming I am doing high poly sculpting in zBrush and then importing over to UE5 versus low poly asthetics) And I want to play some titles like Fortnite, Ark 2 when it releases next year and mainly the new upcoming Blizzard survival game at their FULL Max Settings with no compromises. Faster video rendering would also be ace.

I've come to the conclusion that at this point, I've already skipped 3 or so generations of GPUs. I might as well just wait for 5000s series and go all out and build a new PC from scratch. Yes, I have the funds, I think it will be wiser to wait.

What would you build or how would you build it in the year 2024? If you were in my shoes or have your own plans?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Using 3DS Max and UE5 with a 1660Ti?
You must be suffering.

At the very least you could upgrade to a second hand 3090/3080Ti to glide you the generation until the 5000 series GPUs come out.

Worst case, if youve got the cash lying around:
Upgrading GPU to a blower 4090.
Even a blower 4090 will do the job and even paired with that CPU will be a massive massive upgrade in Max and UE5.
Underclock the 4090 slightly and you could probably actually breeze past the 5000 series too.
Blowers arent as bad as they used to be and Ada is very efficient....underclock/volt purely for noise.

NVIDIA-RTX4090-BLOWER-3.jpg

NVIDIA-RTX4090-BLOWER-2.jpg

P.S In gaming you will be severely severely CPU bottlenecked, you might actually consider getting a small 4080 or even 4070Ti.

EDIT: Just realized you also do a lot of video editing and rendering.
Then yeah an RTX40 GPU.....near literally any of them, will basically pay for itself simply on the time saved because their new encoder is super fast.
If you have the funds 4090 to glide the generation (Its seriously powerful, its basically CPU bottlenecked in everything), it could easily glide you past even the RTX50s.
Just find a small blower one that will fit your case.

Last edited:
Using 3DS Max and UE5 with a 1660Ti?
You must be suffering.

At the very least you could upgrade to a second hand 3090/3080Ti to glide you the generation until the 5000 series GPUs come out.

Worst case, if youve got the cash lying around:
Upgrading GPU to a blower 4090.
Even a blower 4090 will do the job and even paired with that CPU will be a massive massive upgrade in Max and UE5.
Underclock the 4090 slightly and you could probably actually breeze past the 5000 series too.
Blowers arent as bad as they used to be and Ada is very efficient....underclock/volt purely for noise.

NVIDIA-RTX4090-BLOWER-3.jpg

NVIDIA-RTX4090-BLOWER-2.jpg

P.S In gaming you will be severely severely CPU bottlenecked, you might actually consider getting a small 4080 or even 4070Ti.

Haha yeah, 3D renders are not very fun. Trying to do quick playtest in UE5 with 1660 Ti is quite depressing. Forget about adding any kind of fancy visual particle effects and all that. And I can't even really even take advantage of the engine's features like Lumen.

Blender is ok, but basic renders take too long for what they are. So I can't really go all out, lots of crashes cause of it. I am not really in a rush to upgrade, gonna wait a bit and see what happens with the 5000s series.

And nah, I am not into overclocking or anything like that. Never heard of the "blower" term either. Lol.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Haha yeah, 3D renders are not very fun. Trying to do quick playtest in UE5 with 1660 Ti is quite depressing. Forget about adding any kind of fancy visual particle effects and all that. And I can't even really even take advantage of the engine's features like Lumen.

Blender is ok, but basic renders take too long for what they are. So I can't really go all out, lots of crashes cause of it. I am not really in a rush to upgrade, gonna wait a bit and see what happens with the 5000s series.

And nah, I am not into overclocking or anything like that. Never heard of the "blower" term either. Lol.
RTX50 are likely at the end of next year(at best), and youll still be fighting with the early stock crunch for the 5090.....which will lead you to this exact moment, where the RTX60s will be just over a year away.
Its only April.

An RTX40, even a relatively low end one(4070(Ti)) will pay for itself based on your workloads by the time the RTX50s come out.
And if you do go for a 4090, itll likely be enough to glide the RTX50s too.

The way the 1080Ti was a good card for longer than anyone thought it would be, the 4090 is that far ahead of the 4080.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Get a 4090 so you dont have to revisit your build until the 6 or 7xxx series of nvidia gpus. Use the gap years to upgrade the other parts, maybe move into AM5 over time.

Get a 4090 so you dont have to revisit your build until the 6 or 7xxx series of nvidia gpus. Use the gap years to upgrade the other parts, maybe move into AM5 over time.
What's a AM5? Also what is a good CPU for today's day? I loved my CPU and wanna stick to AMD.

that's what i did. "like new" 3090 to tide me over. undervolted it. feel like it'll have decent resale value in a couple years.

if you want to play games right now, just upgrade your GPU. the rest of your pc is ok.

if you're worried about your cpu, upgrade to the am5 platform (amd's latest cpu socket).
maybe grab a bundle at microcenter for $400 or so (cpu + mobo + ram).
when zen5 comes out (~2023/2024), you can just drop it into your new mobo.

id wait for the 5000 or 6000 series if you care about longevity.
even 4000 series RT performance just isnt there.
prices and availability will probably still be stupid for the 5/6xxxx series though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’ll sell you my gigabyte 3080 for $400 shipped (if youre in the US)

A 4090 will need a stronger power supply

Black_Stride

What's a AM5? Also what is a good CPU for today's day? I loved my CPU and wanna stick to AMD.
If you are going all in on Unreal Engine development, then 7950X is your best bet, although the 13900K isnt exactly far behind.
Both the 13900K and the 7950X are pretty much as good as it gets right now, AMD has the advantage of an upgrade path, though to me thats borderline irrelevant due to the amount of time between builds......when im building my next system, the motherboard is going with it anyway.

If you are even thinking of cheaping out then the 137K and 136K absolutely spank their AMD equivalents.
And Intel have worked quite closely with Microsoft, Unreal and Autodesk to properly utilize the e-cores so you can use Datasmith, while rendering in your DCC, while also importing assets to Unreal Engine, without hitching or weird performance jumps/drops.
But either CPU will get the job done.....as long as its a range topper.
Under a 13900K the 7700X and 7600X just arent cut out for these kinds of workloads.

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

If you are going all in on Unreal Engine development, then 7950X is your best bet, although the 13900K isnt exactly far behind.
Both the 13900K and the 7950X are pretty much as good as it gets right now, AMD has the advantage of an upgrade path, though to me thats borderline irrelevant due to the amount of time between builds......when im building my next system, the motherboard is going with it anyway.

If you are even thinking of cheaping out then the 137K and 136K absolutely spank their AMD equivalents.
And Intel have worked quite closely with Microsoft, Unreal and Autodesk to properly utilize the e-cores so you can use Datasmith, while rendering in your DCC, while also importing assets to Unreal Engine, without hitching or weird performance jumps/drops.
But either CPU will get the job done.....as long as its a range topper.
Under a 13900K the 7700X and 7600X just arent cut out for these kinds of workloads.

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php
Thanks man, this is good info I'll look into it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've come to the conclusion that at this point, I've already skipped 3 or so generations of GPUs. I might as well just wait for 5000s series and go all out and build a new PC from scratch. Yes, I have the funds, I think it will be wiser to wait.

What would you build or how would you build it in the year 2024? If you were in my shoes or have your own plans?
Given your specs, your GPU is probably the biggest bottleneck, so I personally would probably just try to find the best used GPU that I can for under $300, and then wait until the 5000 series comes out and get that + whatever CPU from Intel or AMD looks better at the time. Currently your only CPU upgrade without having to buy a new motherboard would be something like a 5950X.

I never do used for PC parts.
Oh, well never mind then lol.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
sorry for bumping / hijacking a thread but, I figured since we don't have a dedicated pc building questions thread I would ask here.

I want to upgrade my RTX 3090 for the newer generation RTX4 cards... my main gripe wiith the 3090 is not performance but how loud the fans are and how hot it runs. My PC is like a fucking oven, and the summer we are having right now I want a card that runs much cooler. What is the best option for this?

do any of the new gen RTX4 cards run really cool and quiet while getting the performance?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

sorry for bumping / hijacking a thread but, I figured since we don't have a dedicated pc building questions thread I would ask here.

I want to upgrade my RTX 3090 for the newer generation RTX4 cards... my main gripe wiith the 3090 is not performance but how loud the fans are and how hot it runs. My PC is like a fucking oven, and the summer we are having right now I want a card that runs much cooler. What is the best option for this?

do any of the new gen RTX4 cards run really cool and quiet while getting the performance?
We do mah boi

But to answer your question, they say the $1600-$2000 4090s run cool and quiet. But this also could be a host of problems like, what kind of case do you have? 3090 might be suffocating. On top of you appearing to live in a hot ass town.

RagnarokIV

I went from a 3070 to a 4070, and it's dead quiet through my h510 Flow. I went for the INNO3D model, I've used them on and of since a Geforce Ti 4200 and they're solid with no stupid RGB garbage.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
is the performance jump that noticable from a 3090 to a 4080 or is it worth spending more for the 4090?
3090 was my main gaming PC until I had this 7950x 4090 pc built and when I was gaming at 4k there was a nice jump in performance

I recently brought home an Alienware prebuilt 13700 4080 prebuilt from Best Buy as an open box deal for $2200 and now I mainly game on a 45" ultrawide and honestly at that rez the 4080 really impresses me vs the 4090

This Alienware gets warm but its near silent when pushing it hard

If I am being honest and money wasn't an object I would get the 4090 but the 4080 is a great card its just overpriced as they all are

My 4090 pc was well over double the price of the 4080 pc and in no way in gaming do I get that return on investment but lets see how Starfield runs on these cards :)

Fools idol

Banned
3090 was my main gaming PC until I had this 7950x 4090 pc built and when I was gaming at 4k there was a nice jump in performance

I recently brought home an Alienware prebuilt 13700 4080 prebuilt from Best Buy as an open box deal for $2200 and now I mainly game on a 45" ultrawide and honestly at that rez the 4080 really impresses me vs the 4090

This Alienware gets warm but its near silent when pushing it hard

If I am being honest and money wasn't an object I would get the 4090 but the 4080 is a great card its just overpriced as they all are

My 4090 pc was well over double the price of the 4080 pc and in no way in gaming do I get that return on investment but lets see how Starfield runs on these cards :)
which specific brand / card does the alienware have? sounds good to me. I'm all for quiet and cool lol.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
which specific brand / card does the alienware have? sounds good to me. I'm all for quiet and cool lol.
There is no identifying marks on the card so really not sure the brand

Just looking now at Best Buy they have this as an open box buy for $2400 as I caught it on sale

The great thing about Best Buy is the ability to return things without any issue and being a Totaltech member I get to test drive stuff for 60 days to decide if I like it or not

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm considering upgrading my PC. Partly for Starfield coming out and also because I'm still rocking a 2700X and 1070 from this build back in later 2019.

Haven't done too much research yet, but I'm going to be sticking with AM4 (and probably skipping AM5 altogether). Right now I have a 6700XT in mind for GPU and a 5800X3D for CPU. Not sure if a 3060TI or maybe just plunging for a 3070 would be a better idea.

Planning to wait until closer to Starfield launches before I actually starting buying parts.

Fools idol

Banned
I'm considering upgrading my PC. Partly for Starfield coming out and also because I'm still rocking a 2700X and 1070 from this build back in later 2019.

Haven't done too much research yet, but I'm going to be sticking with AM4 (and probably skipping AM5 altogether). Right now I have a 6700XT in mind for GPU and a 5800X3D for CPU. Not sure if a 3060TI or maybe just plunging for a 3070 would be a better idea.

Planning to wait until closer to Starfield launches before I actually starting buying parts.
id apend less on cpu and more on gpu. 3080 is still an amazing card for the money, and will slaughter Starfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom