• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I bought a Switch OLED

TLZ

Banned
Yep. Don't know if anyone remembers, but I was avidly against it. Here's what happened:

My 2 girls were always arguing what they should play, Minecraft or Animal crossing. One likes Minecraft, one likes the other. It was an almost daily argument that I had to interfere and play fair judge every single time. Start with one for an hour, then play the other for an hour. Share and be fair to each other.

So I'm travelling (hopefully) next month, and remembered I only had one Switch for both on a 14 hr flight. The last thing I want is arguments on the plane. So I thought this might be the best time to just buy another Switch. So I looked at the prices and found I could get the OLED for $50 cheaper. So I thought great, it has the latest hardware and the bigger screen so get that. And here it is.

1wlmxpG.jpg

Now they're both playing their favourite game, while I play Race with Ryan in peace.

Come roast me.

Oh Yeah Gimme GIF by Adult Swim

ReBurn

Gold Member
Man I was walking through Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and, despite definitely not needing it, I bought one. The moment I fired up that OLED screen I knew there was no going back. That screen was made for Mario Kart and Cruis'n Blast. I haven't even taken the dock out of the box.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hold on, if the kids are playing games on both, what are you using to masturbate to games? This doesn't seem like a realistic post.

Man I was walking through Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and, despite definitely not needing it, I bought one. The moment I fired up that OLED screen I knew there was no going back. That screen was made for Mario Kart and Cruis'n Blast. I haven't even taken the dock out of the box.
Same here. I got one last week and it is amazing. I play portable 95% so for me it was so worth it. Honestly, it makes a huge difference and it just feels improved over the old switch in build quality and sound. My joycons no longer slide around and disconnect in handheld, sound is a bit better, every game pops.

Is cruis n blast worth picking up? It's $20 on the e shop on sale ...

ReBurn

Gold Member
Same here. I got one last week and it is amazing. I play portable 95% so for me it was so worth it. Honestly, it makes a huge difference and it just feels improved over the old switch in build quality and sound. My joycons no longer slide around and disconnect in handheld, sound is a bit better, every game pops.

Is cruis n blast worth picking up? It's $20 on the e shop on sale ...
It's worth $20 in my opinion. It's pure arcade gameplay, so not a ton of depth and no online multiplayer. I hear they're working on online multiplayer, though. But I like pick up and play games. And it's pretty.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I got one too after hating on it on here. Will gladly eat crow, screen looks really good and the console feels more premium than the OG.

Honestly I bought it because I was searching for an excuse to hack my og and have it be an emulation machine

jigglet

Banned
Hold on, if the kids are playing games on both, what are you using to masturbate to games? This doesn't seem like a realistic post.

You know what I love about this forum - people can say shit like this without being banned to hell and back. Humor still exists here. Fuck I love freedom of speech.

Reactions: Isa

carlosrox

Banned
Congrats on getting the best Switch yet.

I literally always appreciate the screen. It's nuts how good it is. Dem perfect blacks. Dem colors.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
My girl got it as a Christmas present too, the problem is, gamepass ruined me...and switch games are too damn expensive to shell out my hard earned cash on. How i wished a service like gamepass was on it. If anyone reading this, how do you get the most out of switch, i played botw (loved it btw), but i need games that are a must play switch games, any recommendations ?

• Thoughtful

GeorgPrime

Banned
I just bought another Switch OLED as well. :) Still looking for a game i want to play aside from Fire Emblem - Three Houses.

SirTerry-T

My girl got it as a Christmas present too, the problem is, gamepass ruined me...and switch games are too damn expensive to shell out my hard earned cash on. How i wished a service like gamepass was on it. If anyone reading this, how do you get the most out of switch, i played botw (loved it btw), but i need games that are a must play switch games, any recommendations ?
If she likes JRPG's the Switch demo of Dragon Quest XI has got plenty of play time in it to keep her occupied for a while.

Monster Hunter Rise is awesome too, especially online.

Okami HD is usually on sale quite cheaply too.

I got one too in October to play Metroid. Now I have a bit of buyers remorse because I haven’t touched it since my 6th Dread play through. It’ll probably stay that way until Bayo 3 comes out….

• Thoughtful

Ryu Kaiba

The announcement of the Steam Deck satiated my hunger for a more powerful handheld, after that the OLED didn't look so bad.

I had a worn day one Switch and was ready for an upgrade and this model is oh so nice. It's what the switch should have been in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Unk Adams

Banned
It's not worth going out of your way to buy an OLED if you already have an old Switch. But if you have a worn original Switch that you've been using for years and trade it in or sell it right now you can almost get full retail value which is enough to offset most of the the price of the OLED. The upgrade is worth it if you trade in your old model towards it; not so much if you go out of your way to spend the full $350.

Top Bottom