• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally played a game at 120fps and...

Wonko_C

It doesn't look any smoother than 60fps games to me. Now I feel like those who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way. Also, the game is amazing regardless. Get it even if you don't own a VR headset, it's on sale right now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It depends. 120hz does look better but I Had 240, 144, then went back to 4k60 and now 120 oled.... and I kinda don't care anymore.
You can get used to everything if you just play.
Except for Demons SOuls cinematic mode. They fucked up the 30fps controls lag like wtf.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It doesn't look any smoother than 60fps games to me. Now I feel like those who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way.
PSVR?
Theres your problem. /jk.

Play any shooter or something like DMC/Bayonetta at 60fps.....then switch to 100+fps......then go back to 60fps.
Now tell me you can see....rather feel the difference.

<--- At about 90 fps I can barely tell the difference going all the way up to 144 assuming it isnt bouncing around too much.

SpokkX

It is a real difference in fps, even when playing with controller (mouse demands 120+, the difference is def bigger there)

Anyway playing halo infinite in 120 actually makes the game easier since it directly improves aiming and controls

TheKratos

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way.
Are you batshit insane buddy?

For cut and clear example, play 120fps COD one match and switch to 60FPS right after.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The most notable thing for me about 120hz is that if you're playing FPS you can look around quickly without the image ghosting or jittering - the image remains clearer and more stable. Its nice, but not a deal-breaker imho.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I to this day refuse to play Bloodborne until they fix the framepacing. For a game were you are supposed to dodge and dive, it feels like crap and I don't feel in control.
A stubborn fool whom stubbornness hurts only yourself.
Bloodborne has the most responsive, least laggy 30fps of any game in my recent memory.
Framepacing? That is such an overblown problem with this game. It stutters slightly here and there but as much as I am a stubborn ass for stable fps, gsync and so on, bloodborne has never bothered me.

Just play the games, enjoy and don't focus too much on technicalities people. Your brain will get used to it if you enjoy the game. I went from 240 to 60hz 4k lol. It was fine. I played for 5 minutes at locked 30fps, then unlocked to 60 and it feels super smooth again lol.

ALLOW YOURSELF TO HAVE FUN

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can tell the difference, but have decided to play Halo Infinite at 60fps after playing COD at 120, getting used to it and not wanting to drop down to 60.

Having 120 as an option is great because it means a high fidelity mode will be 60fps. I hope 30fps dies off.

Thief1987

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way. Also, the game is amazing regardless. Get it even if you don't own a VR headset, it's on sale right now.
I tried some games on PS5 which have 120 fps mode like Dirt5, Touryst, COD and honestly i also haven't seen any meaningful difference yet.

Wonko_C

It is a real difference in fps, even when playing with controller (mouse demands 120+, the difference is def bigger there)

Anyway playing halo infinite in 120 actually makes the game easier since it directly improves aiming and controls
I'm talking more about the visual aspect rather than the controller response. 30fps instantly looks like a stuttery mess to me even with motion blur, 60fps are very pleasing to my eye in comparison.

The most notable thing for me about 120hz is that if you're playing FPS you can look around quickly without the image ghosting or jittering - the image remains clearer and more stable. Its nice, but not a deal-breaker imho.
Actual helpful advice, thanks! Actually 99% PSVR games run at 60fps but head movement is interpolated at 120fps and I can see ghosting in games like Wipeout. I'll look for that next time I play.

You should see Tales Of Arise running at 4K native 120hz.
Hopefully by December 2022 I'll have saved enough for a decent 120hz TV and a PS5. I probably will finish ToA long before that happens, though.

If you played it on a 30hz/60hz monitor or tv I can imagine why you don't see a difference. If not, however, you prolly should see an eye doctor.
If you actually read my post you would have known I'm running it on the 120hz-capable PlayStation VR headset, with one of the very few games that run at real 120fps, and not just 60fps with head movement interpolation.

Surely you're not serious. Anyone who can't see difference between 30 and 60 has to be clinically blind.
Glad I'm not one of those. It takes me a fraction of a second to see when a game is running at 30 or 60fps. 120fps from 60 is another story so far, though.

Kilau

Gold Member
It might just be that 120 on PSVR isn't the same effect like it is on a TV/Monitor.

Found this thread on reddit.

Holammer

Currently replaying Hollow Knight with a 240hz monitor. The effect is undeniable.
Some frame based stuff like the stag travel cutscene animation sting your eyes.

Kssio_Aug

It depends. 120hz does look better but I Had 240, 144, then went back to 4k60 and now 120 oled.... and I kinda don't care anymore.
You can get used to everything if you just play.
Except for Demons SOuls cinematic mode. They fucked up the 30fps controls lag like wtf.
I agree completely. If I play or watch something at 60fps and then change it to something at 30fps the difference seems staggering.

However if I keep playing or watching this game at 30fps, my eyes totally get used to it, and soon enough I will not be noticing that much.

But then again... I am a person who plays Series S games on a 4K TV and am completely happy this way. So I guess I'm just not rigorous.

Last edited:

ManaByte

giphy.gif

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I agree completely. If I play or watch something at 60fps and then change it to something at 30fps the difference seems staggering.

However if I keep playing or watching this game at 30fps, my eyes totally get used to it, and soon enough I will not be noticing that much.

But then again... I am a person who plays Series S games on a 4K TV and am completely happy this way. So I guess I'm just not rigorous.
That’s how it works. I actually did this very experiment. I went back to play Forza at 30 after exclusively playing 60 fps (or more) games for over a year. It almost made me want to vomit at first, actually giving me motion sickness, but after a few hours it was fine. Still doesn’t feel good and I definitely went back to 60, but our eyes and brains do adapt. The true gains are on responsiveness.

Unknown?

It might just be that 120 on PSVR isn't the same effect like it is on a TV/Monitor.

Found this thread on reddit.

That's because games that aren't native are still running at 120fps on PSVR. It's just being artificially increased, no game on psvr runs straight 60fps.

i play on PC. 60 to 120fps is a big jump. yes not as big as 30-60 but still significant. 120 is about the point where anything higher is hard to notice. i have a 165hz monitor and 120-141fps is hard to notice. 141-162fps is very hard to distinguish between.

if i can run a game at 162fps then great i'll run it at that but honestly if it drops to ~120fps i probably would not be able to tell. 90-120fps is the sweetspot. 60-80 i can easily tell the difference. actually anything below 70fps is very noticeable. i struggle to go back to games at 60fps now. if i need to play a game at 60fps i will just cap the game at 60 even if i can sometimes do 90-100fps. it's too jarring to bounce between 60-90fps.

anything below 60fps is completely unacceptable in a modern game for me.

Last edited:

onQ123

It's not about the look it's about better controller response.

The difference between 120 and 60 is not nearly as dramatic as 60 and 30. Law of diminishing returns. Same with comparing 1080p to 4k with 4k to 8k.

There is a difference, but the requirements grow quicker as the payoff gets smaller.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I've tried 120fps quite extensively on Doom Eternal and I genuinely couldn't notice any difference.

I know lots of people swear by it but that was my honest response. People obv obviously have a wide range of sensitivity to this stuff, so options are crucial.

Personally I find the difference between 30 and 60 to be profound, so I'd hate to go back to games just targeting the highest fidelity.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Y'all playing games not optimized for 120 (animations and effects still running at 30 and 60) on screens not optimized for 120 (manufacturer optimized for 60 as its dominant right now).

Come back in 10 years and laugh at how wrong you were.

(Or just buy a state of the art tv and play gears 5 at 120 and check the os, tv, and GAME settings are all actually at 120).

Its like HDR. If you think its overrated, youre not doing it right.

TrebleShot

Have to agree.
The only game where I have seen a difference is COD Vanguard.
120 is noticeably smoother but the 60hz is absolutely smooth and playable. It’s a nice to have.

Dirt
F1 21
Cold War
Gears 5
Will of the Wisps

Barely any difference.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I know several pretty hard core gamers who claim they can't really see and difference between 60 and 120 either but to me its totally a game changer.

On these new gen consoles especially in shooters and racers I would pick 1080p 120fps all day over 4k 60 if given the choice

Excess

Y'all playing games not optimized for 120 (animations and effects still running at 30 and 60) on screens not optimized for 120 (manufacturer optimized for 60 as its dominant right now).
Right, there are so many other variables the affect the quality, but I would argue that the utility of higher framerates is predominantly for reducing latency in competitive gaming, regardless of how it looks, which I would also describe as diminishing returns.

High-FPS-System-Latency-1.gif

Last edited:

Hunnybun

So is it mainly just an input response thing then?

That's the thing, I don't play online ever, and I play on normal difficulty where success is rarely down to fine margins.

I like 60fps pretty much solely for the way it looks. So are we saying that 120 looks about the same but FEELS way better?

Cos if so then no wonder I can't see a difference.

I can't really see the difference between 120 or 60 fps, like I do between 30 and 60, if I don't switch between them. The difference is much less noticeable. But play at 120 for a while, then switch to 60 and you'll notice that everything is less fluid

MiguelItUp

I think it's possible to see a difference in certain games and scenarios. But, in all examples I've personally seen, nothing is as obvious and big as going from 30 to 60 IMO. I saw a lot of folks saying that it's AS big if not bigger than that, which I never really understood. 30 to 60 for the first time blew me away, 60 to 120/144 made me go "neat."

Top Bottom