• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally played a game at 120fps and...

Arioco

Play DMC5 on PS5 at 120FPS.

You’ll notice the difference.

Yes, you'll definitely notice... that it stutters like crazy because it doesn't hold 120 fps (which causes huge spikes in the frame time) and the console doesn't support VRR. I'd rather play that game at 60 fps.

Doom Eternal though... Is a whole different story. But still I think you have to disable motion blur if you want to see a real difference.

Anyways I'm more than happy with 60 fps.

Guilty_AI

In the case of VR, even if you don't consciously notice any difference, your brain and body will.

For a confortable experience in VR, i've seen the recommended to be at least 90fps. Even as low as 80 fps might start giving motion sickness.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah I played some Rocket League at 120fps the other day and while it did feel a bit smoother, the increase in smoothness from 60fps to 120fps is nowhere near the same as going from 30 to 60.
Might be worth it for competitive games, but for everything else I'll take better visuals and higher res at 60fps over 120fps.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have recently gotten a lot of exposure to 120 fps and it is better and smoother, but I can still function playing games at 60 fps.

60 fps should be the absolute minimum for current gen consoles push for. I am done with 30 fps.

It depends. 120hz does look better but I Had 240, 144, then went back to 4k60 and now 120 oled.... and I kinda don't care anymore.
You can get used to everything if you just play.
Except for Demons SOuls cinematic mode. They fucked up the 30fps controls lag like wtf.
This.
I can tell a difference with stuff like shooters where my inputs directly correlate with screen movement.

But I can easily go back and forth even with 30fps depending on the game. Like I couldn’t play Halo at 30 anymore but Uncharted or Tomb Raider I’d be fine.

I’m playing Infinite at 120 but when the campaign comes out I’ll be playing at 60.

Speaking of recent games. In Forza Horizon 5 I can actually easily switch between 60 and 30. Only takes me about 2 minutes to adjust.

Yes, you'll definitely notice... that it stutters like crazy because it doesn't hold 120 fps (which causes huge spikes in the frame time) and the console doesn't support VRR. I'd rather play that game at 60 fps.

Doom Eternal though... Is a whole different story. But still I think you have to disable motion blur if you want to see a real difference.

Anyways I'm more than happy with 60 fps.
If you need to disable motion blur to notice a difference between 60 and 120, then maybe motion blur is actually a good feature to have on 30-60fps games.

I have recently gotten a lot of exposure to 120 fps and it is better and smoother, but I can still function playing games at 60 fps.

60 fps should be the absolute minimum for current gen consoles push for. I am done with 30 fps.
You’re in for a surprise then.

Also, vsync should be mandatory on current gen consoles. I’m done with screen tearing. There’s no reason to turn off vsync

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are games where 60 FPS feels sluggish.

The difference is minimal but I notice it.

Last edited:

howitis3

I use to be as dumb as OP. I didn't even think 30fps was that bad, used to say I see no difference. You need to play and get used to playing at high FPS and then go back. this is what happened to me. I started playing SMTE on PC at 150fps with a 144hz gsync monitor. then tried to play on my xbox again. I couldn't even aim, and thought something was wrong with the game. I now pretty much only play on PC. So if you don't see a difference with high FPS right now count yourself lucky. once you get used to high FPS it will be hard to play any multiplayer games on console again.

Last edited:
I use to be as dumb as OP. I didn't even think 30fps was that bad, used to say I see no difference. You need to play and get used to playing at high FPS and then go back. this is what happened to me. I started playing SMTE on PC at 150fps with a 144hz gsync monitor. then tried to play on my xbox again. I couldn't even aim, and thought something was wrong with the game. I now pretty much only play on PC. So if you don't see a difference with high FPS right now count yourself lucky. once you get used to high FPS it will be hard to play any multiplayer games on console again.
FYI: playing at 150fps on a 144Hz monitor means you’re not using gsync.

xPikYx

Game smoothness for single player is fine at 45 fps, 60fps is ideal, above 60fps only for competitive multiplayer. 30fps also is fine you get use to it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It doesn't generally 'look smoother,' it has better response times. Even if some only fractionally notice*

Those hopped up on Adderall, Vivance, Monster Energy, Greenies or Cocaine may notice more than those who are not.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TGO

howitis3

There are games where 60 FPS feels sluggish.

The difference is minimal but I notice it.
I don't think you can tell a difference just by jumping back and forth. Plus very few people even have a tv that does 120. You really to play and get used to the higher frame rate then go back.

MikeM

I to this day refuse to play Bloodborne until they fix the framepacing. For a game were you are supposed to dodge and dive, it feels like crap and I don't feel in control.
Same here. I gave up early on because of it.

As for OPs post- huge difference at 120fps for me. Any movement ghosting is basically gone. Any game that has it I default to.

Romulus

I definitely feel the jump to 144hz over 60. it's not an insane difference but its undeniably noticeable. On psvr, there's a stunt game called Trackmania on psvr I noticed a difference in the 120hz mode.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Play Ori and the Will of the Wisps on a XSX.
Start the game at 4K/120.
Then set it to 6K/60.

I wasn’t ready to believe it, but 60 immediately felt less responsive and less smooth.

true, but smite caps itself to 150 and never drops below so no screen tearing. Also If I can push more than 144 frames its better than gsync being on for lag.
You ideally want to cap your frame rate to 142fps to stay in the gsync range. You would never be able to tell a difference between 142 and 150 in terms of input lag.

buenoblue

The VR headsets intepolate to higher framerates anyway, plus Polybius is very basic graphics. I wouldn't make a judgement until you've played a more modern game at 120fps. I've bin playing rocket league at 165hz for a while now and if I switch back to 60 not only can I see the difference but the responsiveness if the controls go to shit.

Plus another difference is at 60hz even a 1 frame drop takes you below the smooth framerate range, whereas 120 drops are far less noticeable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If it's stable then it's fine regardless of if it's 30/60/120fps.
120fps though is kinda meh though, But I guess it depends on the game...
For example
Rainbow Six 120fps made the 60fps look choppy, others it's hardly noticeable.
Same with 30fps and 60fps, Some games it's very noticeable and others...not so much.
But I believe that if you noticed it and you can't adjust to the difference like you can't with motion interpolation with regular TV.
then something is off and unnatural and it shouldn't be running at framerate period.
You should be able to tell, but shouldn't be sticking out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Polybius is a psychedelic, at times wireframe, game with an abstract art style. Not exactly the best choice to notice the difference... Especially since you can't even compare it since you can't set the PSVR to run it at 60fps.

This a low level troll?

Cryio

1) I'd say the difference is more obvious on a bigger screen
2) Not all games are as gameplay to display in motion the improvements of 120 Hz. They're all nicer anyway, but not all of them hit the same.

Ryse: Son of Rome in 120 Hz? Barely a difference vs 60 Hz.
Literally any FPS in 120? Day and night difference.

ethomaz

Banned
That, sir, is the biggest pile of shit I’ve seen. And trust me, I’ve done some monstrous shites in my life. Still, you’re entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.
It indeed looks bad…. even more compared with the others lower framerate modes.

What he said is not even some secret.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It doesn't look any smoother than 60fps games to me. Now I feel like those who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way. Also, the game is amazing regardless. Get it even if you don't own a VR headset, it's on sale right now.

30 to 60 is a much greater leap than 60 to 120. 120 FEELS better than 60 for sure, but 60 simply looks, feels and plays better than 30. I feel like you want 120FPS in games where you've got a sense of speed or momentum, not a lot of games meet that requirement and so 60 is where they try to sit.

Edder1

Glad I'm not one of those. It takes me a fraction of a second to see when a game is running at 30 or 60fps. 120fps from 60 is another story so far, though.
There has to be something wrong with one's eyes not to see difference between 30 and 60 fps. Deference between 60 and 120 is a lot less obvious and more about how it feels when you play, but those that play regularly at 120 will be able to spot the difference. Only few people with very good eyesight will able to tell the difference for anything above 120 or 144 Hz.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I only noticed it in Doom Eternal so far, the turning speed feels smoother and the controls even more responsive. Perhaps Super Lucky Tale too since the scrolling seems to be even more fluid. For the rest, DMC, THPS, Psychonauts, Ori etc I just went to higher visual quality since the gameplay felt similar to me.

30 to 60 is incredible. Go play some FH5 on 60fps, and then change to 30. And try not to throw up. Go back from 120 to 60 in most games and its still fine.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
120FPS is only really useful for competitive gaming
recmHYZ.png
Lettering Agree GIF by Denyse®

Star-Lord

It indeed looks bad…. even more compared with the others lower framerate modes.

What he said is not even some secret.
One wrong opinion in a thread is sad, but acceptable. But two? I simply cannot tolerate such bullshit claims. Be gone with you.

ethomaz

Banned
One wrong opinion in a thread is sad, but acceptable. But two? I simply cannot tolerate such bullshit claims. Be gone with you.
Wut?

DMC5 looks bad in 120fps mode.
I can’t change that.

BTW it is not the only game… the compromises the devs have to do to reach 120fps is really not worth.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I could never go back to playing shooters at 60 fps. Feels like going from 60 to 30 nowadays.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I personally feel 120FPS more in PC games with mouse and keyboard, with a 120+hz monitor. The difference from 30FPS to 60FPS is bigger but there’s definitely a difference in smoothness at 120FPS.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I don't meen to be rude here at all, but I feel like people have different eyes. But also it probably depends what type of game you are playing, how it is optimized, and maybe how close you sit to the screen? In racing games and shooters I notice I go from middle of the pack to top performer with a smooth 120fps. It could be all in my head, but I feel pretty certain it's not.

K2D

Banned
It depends a lot on play style, i. e.:

Competitive >/< m&k or gamepad >/< virtual reality

And of course if you game a lot on higher frequencies, it'll take longer to acclimate..

Wonko_C

It might just be that 120 on PSVR isn't the same effect like it is on a TV/Monitor.

Found this thread on reddit.

This sounds interesting. It's true not all displays are made the same.

That's because games that aren't native are still running at 120fps on PSVR. It's just being artificially increased, no game on psvr runs straight 60fps.
Actually only looking around with your head is interpolated to 120fps, the framerate of the actual animations and scrolling in most games is still 60fps, or even less. For example: No Man's Sky on a standard PS4 can consistently drop to 30fps for entire minutes, yet looking around with my head is still smooth (Although some times even that can do small stutters which ARE headache-inducing).

Ok OP

Go try VR 60 fps and report back 🤣

Tell us then if you can’t “feel” the difference. It’s probably going to be a nauseating feeling.
PSVR is mostly 60fps and I've played cardboard VR at even less no problem. No nausea here.

In the case of VR, even if you don't consciously notice any difference, your brain and body will.

For a confortable experience in VR, i've seen the recommended to be at least 90fps. Even as low as 80 fps might start giving motion sickness.
Same as what I've replied above. I'm fine with 60fps VR. Had to train my VR legs the first week but smooth sailing after that. But I'm probably lucky, I've read people are way more likely to get motion sickness with PSVR than with PCVR or even Oculus Quest.

This.
I can tell a difference with stuff like shooters where my inputs directly correlate with screen movement.

But I can easily go back and forth even with 30fps depending on the game. Like I couldn’t play Halo at 30 anymore but Uncharted or Tomb Raider I’d be fine.

I’m playing Infinite at 120 but when the campaign comes out I’ll be playing at 60.

Speaking of recent games. In Forza Horizon 5 I can actually easily switch between 60 and 30. Only takes me about 2 minutes to adjust.
I haven't had the chance to play Forza Horizon 5 at 60fps, but I've played the Xbox One version and just seeing it move at 30fps make is less enjoyable to me, to the point I don't feel like playing it anymore after the first few sessions I had with it. Funny how it depends on the game, though. I have no problem with PSO2 New Genesis' insane frame drops on Xbox One.

I definitely feel the jump to 144hz over 60. it's not an insane difference but its undeniably noticeable. On psvr, there's a stunt game called Trackmania on psvr I noticed a difference in the 120hz mode.
I think Trackmania only runs at 90fps on a standard PS4, Arizona Sunshine too. Didn't see any difference from 60fps PSVR games from either. I hope my eyesight is not broken, LOL.

The VR headsets intepolate to higher framerates anyway, plus Polybius is very basic graphics. I wouldn't make a judgement until you've played a more modern game at 120fps. I've bin playing rocket league at 165hz for a while now and if I switch back to 60 not only can I see the difference but the responsiveness if the controls go to shit.

Plus another difference is at 60hz even a 1 frame drop takes you below the smooth framerate range, whereas 120 drops are far less noticeable.
I don't see how basic-looking games affect how I perceive framerates. I can instantly tell between 30/60fps on any game just the same, no matter how simple/complex the graphics are. But I'm still looking forward to when I can see it on a monitor instead of VR.

Polybius is a psychedelic, at times wireframe, game with an abstract art style. Not exactly the best choice to notice the difference... Especially since you can't even compare it since you can't set the PSVR to run it at 60fps.

This a low level troll?
Not trolling just asking, much less judging. I love high framerates so much I even liked watching The Hobbit in HFR and want more movies to be like that.

People already gave me good replies on what should I look for and even possible causes, like the headset not really being low-persistence like many 120hz monitors are.

Graphics don't have any influence over how I perceive smoothness, at least to me. I guess I could play Polybius on my TV where it's stuck at 60fps and see if it looks any different. (It will very probably FEEL different at least, I'm guessing I'll play noticeably worse and not get as far)

I only noticed it in Doom Eternal so far, the turning speed feels smoother and the controls even more responsive. Perhaps Super Lucky Tale too since the scrolling seems to be even more fluid. For the rest, DMC, THPS, Psychonauts, Ori etc I just went to higher visual quality since the gameplay felt similar to me.

30 to 60 is incredible. Go play some FH5 on 60fps, and then change to 30. And try not to throw up. Go back from 120 to 60 in most games and its still fine.
I don't even need to play FH5 at 60 first, LOL. I don't throw up but the game looking not as smooth as classic arcade racers such as Ridge Racer, Daytona USA, etc. cuts the fun in half to me. Same with Driveclub, I prefer the VR version not only because of the sense of presence but because it runs at 60fps compared to the TV version.

Last edited:

scalman

all ppl who says you need to see and fell difference, its depends on what screen person playing it . what tv what monitor. all matters is that , not numbers. why all just imagines that we all then have 120hz screens... we dont . i watch youtube videos on my hdtv and i cant tell any diff between res or fps over 1080p because my tv is 1080p and its not even 60hz for sure.
but i have 120hz phone screen.. do i see diff on that .. well no.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm so used to play at 120hz+ on PC that I instantly notice it anything below 90fps. To be fair, that's with keyboard and mouse as an input, on a game pad is way harder to notice.

Arioco

If you need to disable motion blur to notice a difference between 60 and 120, then maybe motion blur is actually a good feature to have on 30-60fps games.

It might vary from game to game but generally speaking yes, I would say it is. And the implementation we've seen in Doom Eternal is one of the best in the business, I would leave on, no doubt. Amazing game, by the way.

Whitecrow

Banned
It doesn't look any smoother than 60fps games to me. Now I feel like those who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

The game is Polybius on PSVR, by the way. Also, the game is amazing regardless. Get it even if you don't own a VR headset, it's on sale right now.
If you pass too much time here you end up overhyping things.

Top Bottom