• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally played a game at 120fps and...

AndrewRyan

High framerates are best appreciated while panning the screen, especially while aiming since you want to stop at a specific point. If you think about the screen as it pans to the left, a lower framerate cause more pixels to be skipped on each frame which makes the aiming less precise since it's harder to stop on a specific point since it may have been skipped by the previous frame.

I always choose 1440p/120hz over 4k/60hz since the feel of the game is so much more satisfying.

Kokoloko85

Im enjoying the 60fps alot.
120fps is cool at times too, Im loving having a choice and I think more and more studios will do what what insomniac/capcom did in Ratchet and Clank/ Spiderman, DMC etc and giving a choice between 30-120fps.

And Xbox putting the most effort in backwards compatibility with Playstation doing pretty good too with next gen patches like God of War, TLOU2, Days Gone etc.

Personally Id still go for 1080/30fps Uncharted/ Bloodborne/ZeldaBOTW/Fireemblem/God of War etc over a 4K-120fps Assassins Creed/FarCry/GTA5/Cyberpunk. Im glad we’re getting a choice though
At the end of the day, the gameplay/story matters to me more Than how fluid and good it looks.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've found the worse the graphics and the slower the camera, the less noticeable fps is. I'm having a great time in SMT5 at 30 fps, but I can't play FPS online at less than 100.

giphy.gif
Pure gold these clowns.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suspect that the break point for visual perceiving smoothness is actually quite low, probably around the mid-40's. I've not tried the 40hz option insomniac put in Spiderman but pretty sure I heard reports that it worked a lot better than it sounded.

I've seen enough 50hz stuff over the years to accept that it looks, fine. Typically problems only really creeping in gaming-wise if the timings hadn't been accounted for in the code. PAL slowdown no doubt was a phenomenon, but that was more about the conversion than the format.

Which really brings home the point that even latency is only a major issue if the gameplay demands maximum precision, and even then so much delay can potentially get added by the display or other causes of lag that framerate may only be a part of the problem.

For me, HDR and VRR are all much more useful and impactful, because they are things that can benefit literally any sort of game. Super-high framerates aren't going to impress everyone, simply because not everyone plays the same sort of games where the benefits can be keenly felt.

Brofist

I had to look up what a Polybius was.

I think if you had played a game with some graphics you'd have noticed. Playing shooters in 120fps+ makes a big difference.

Kenpachii

play 144hz or even better 240hz on a PC for a week with mouse and keyboard in games that require fast movement like shooters, or even games where mouse camera movement is placed like ac origin.
Then go back to 60 hz. U will feel like the game is utterly broken riddled with lag.

Last edited:

skit_data

I’m getting a LG C8 next week, so I’m gonna try out the 120hz on my PS5 to see if I deem it worth the res drop.
My guess is I’ll be one of those people that barely notice going from 60fps to 120fps.

Going from a 42” 1080p non HDR LCD-TV to a 55” 4k HDR OLED will probably have enough of an effect that I forget about trying 120hz mode though :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom