• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally played Control

ParaSeoul

I wanted to play it from the moment I saw the gameplay and the story seemed interesting but I'm now 4 hours in and I can't really seem to get into it. Shootings alright,story isn't really gripping. I hate when games lock your movement abilities away at the start. and having all your powers on some cooldown doesn't feel right.I've heard the flying ability really changes things up but I'm not sure I even want to keep playing.

Topher

Gold Member
I wanted to play it from the moment I saw the gameplay and the story seemed interesting but I'm now 4 hours in and I can't really seem to get into it. Shootings alright,story isn't really gripping. I hate when games lock your movement abilities away at the start. and having all your powers on some cooldown doesn't feel right.I've heard the flying ability really changes things up but I'm not sure I even want to keep playing.

I had the exact same issue. I felt no compulsion to keep playing and gave up. Just one of those games that doesn't grab everyone in the same way, I guess.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
...but Control is the best game of the last gen. Like literally nothing comes close. When you acquire powers and shit starts to fly around you, nothing comes close to this gaming experience.

I like to warry (is this a fucking word, like from warry > warrior, etc) about Control, I am not payed. But I want need more games like this. You know games that actually pun emphasis on the gameplay, physics and blowing shit up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

played it also for 4 hours, quited after it.

Felt like alan wake dull on the gameplay.

Ogbert

Try and stick with it. I dropped it first time round, but am glad I revisited.

It has some really, *really* cool moments.

That said, the ending is pants.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

...but Control is the best game of the last gen. Like literally nothing comes close. When you acquire powers and shit starts to fly around you, nothing comes close to this gaming experience.

I like to warry (is this a fucking works, like from warry > warrior, etc) about Control, I am not payed. But I want more games like this. You know games that actually pun emphasis on the gameplay, physics and blowing shit up.
Have you played Infamous Second Son? Vastly different games in tone and story but gameplay wise they are similar and I'd say thats a much more fun game gameplay wise.

ParaSeoul

My biggest problem with the game are the "documents" you collect.

How many of you guys actually read through the documents? I almost fall asleep reading those and I just skipped most of them.
I just ended up just picking them up for completionist sake,they're mostly bland. The radios are cool though I guess.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Have you played Infamous Second Son? Vastly different games in tone and story but gameplay wise they are similar and I'd say thats a much more fun game gameplay wise.
Holy fuck YES. I wanted to write about Second Son in the post, but I somewhat forgot. Little story.

When I was watching PS4 conference (the first one, announcement), they were talking about physics and how awesome it would be. After I got my PS4, soon after the Infamous Second son came and I was like this gen is going to be awesome.

And well I didn't get another experience like that until Control. I hold Second Son really close to my heart.

I just got this game for $20. Walmart had the next gen version on clearance for some reason but I wasn’t complaining.

Remedy makes good games, but I wouldn’t say great games. It’s clear that the presentation and story take precedent over the gameplay, because they always have one TPS gameplay loop that each game doesn’t really deviate from.

Alan wake = shine a light and shoot guys
Quantum Break = stop bullets close to you, and sometimes farther away from you, and shoot guys.

Maybe Control spices things up more between each encounter, but I find most of their games playing the same throughout the runtime without much deviation, which means I’m pushing onward just for the story.

That being said I’m getting Alan Wake Remastered to give it another go, then after that I’ll play Control since they’re linked a bit story wise.

Kuranghi

I think Control is insane. I think it is more than a game. I think it's an amazing game.

.. That's why i can't progress beyond the first objective, is intimidatingly deep and awesome, i dunno i feel like i can't give it the attention it requires.. arr

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Play it you wally!

edit - Whats the japanese for wally? Google gave me ウォリー.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Same here, just couldn't get into it, the main character, the plot, the gameplay, all really uninteresting, amazing visuals but that's about it. Maybe one day when I'll be bored with nothing else to play and I'll come back to it, just maybe. People say the game is so much better than Quantum Break, which I absolutely LOVE, and I honestly can't find anything remotely close to it in Control.

ParaSeoul

Holy fuck YES. I wanted to write about Second Son in the post, but I somewhat forgot. Little story.

When I was watching PS4 conference (the first one, announcement), they were talking about physics and how awesome it would be. After I got my PS4, soon after the Infamous Second son came and I was like this gen is going to be awesome.

And well I didn't get another experience like that until Control. I hold Second Son really close to my heart.
I am among my people. I hope the new infamous game rumor ends up being true.

Sleepwalker

I fucking loved this game except for the terrible performance on my base ps4. I lost my save and didnt play the DLC, so I guess I gotta play thru it again to get to the DLC... havent had the urge yet but one day.

Hugare

Enjoyed what I played, but couldnt finish it

I see "metroidvania" and I interpret it as "we didnt have enough budget to make a lot of different stages, so we made one where you have to backtrack a lot"

I love Remedy storytelling. But having it mainly by reading documents? Eh

I would have enjoyed a more linear, narrative focused experience.

Gameplay is awesome tho

Fbh

Game was just OK imo.
The shooting, powers and physics were fun, but it lacked more enemy variety and the story was all style over substance, just weird for the sake of being weird. And IMO the metroidvania design sucked and I would have preferred a more linear approach with more cool moments like the labyrinth you get to towards the end.
The metroidvania aspect basically boiled down to going back to the samey locations to reach new areas to read even more documents or find underwhelming passive upgrades.

My biggest problem with the game are the "documents" you collect.

How many of you guys actually read through the documents? I almost fall asleep reading those and I just skipped most of them.

Quantum Break had the same issue.
It had in game cutscenes, audio logs and multiple 40 minutes long TV episodes and somehow half the story was still told told through fucking documents and emails

Last edited:

Kupfer

I had the same problem with the game. Even took a break for a few weeks after the first 5 hours. Then I thought that this can't be true and I have to give the game another chance. So I switched from 30FPS with raytracing to 60FPS without raytracing, which felt so much better and just kept playing. It actually clicked when I understood what the game wanted from me and how it was structured. A few days later I had the platinum trophy. It was one of my best PS5 experiences so far and the movement/gun- and powerplay is superb once you upgraded it and played around with different combinations a bit.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I honestly felt the same way you did. Didn't feel fun and was bland. I stuck with it and it kept getting better and better. Once you have a certain set of skills, it changes the game a LOT. There's lots to explore and hidden places too. Stick with it just for a little bit longer OP.

Played the entire game and the DLC in a couple of days, and I felt it was an alright game, but I couldn't be bothered to play it ever again. The one big sequence that everyone hypes up is really just noteworthy because it's so different stylistically from the rest of the game. I really do not see how it got nominated for any GOTY awards.

Ristifer

I played the game, but ended up dropping it about 6 hours in. I like it, but it wasn't as intriguing as I thought it would be. I was expecting much more of a mindfuck. Maybe it gets more into it later on...? I don't know. I thought the actual gameplay was fun for the most part, though.

Aion002

Me too.

I played a couple of hours and dropped. Even though I enjoyed the combat, everything else was boring.

Same crap with Quantum Break, the story/characters just didn't grab my attention.

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, so I was really disappointed with these two.

TheShocker

It was a good game. Story was a little hard to follow. Gameplay was alright. I bought it on sale last year and wanted to complete it so I could delete it from my hard drive. Doubt I’ll touch the DLC or go back for any other side missions.

THEAP99

Banned
i wasn't a fan the first time I played it. but playing it on ps5 ps plus earlier this year, I came to appreciate it. definitely agree though about the abilities being locked away. also, it is easy as fuck to get lost.

It is a good game but I never felt that want to complete the side stuff.
Currently trying to get into Quantum Break and end up playing something else.

Rubik8

I played all the way through, but I really had to force myself. I found the story and world building interesting, but the game progression and combat was very underwhelming and repetitive. All style and no fun.

ParaSeoul

i wasn't a fan the first time I played it. but playing it on ps5 ps plus earlier this year, I came to appreciate it. definitely agree though about the abilities being locked away. also, it is easy as fuck to get lost.
I'm glad my thread got a sincere reply out of you for once.

Top Bottom