• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I rented Old last night

Why do I keep doing this to myself

he has maybe 3 movies I’ve enjoyed so I keep giving his stuff a chance

this movie was truly baffling

I guess I was somewhat entertained at moments, trying to untangle the mind of Shyamalan and the decision making process behind this film. Maybe entertained isn’t the right word.

to be clear, this movie is awful. Parts of it gave me a headache.

anyone else seen it?

Last edited:

Dthomp

That's sad to hear, I don't really watch many movies these days but saw this at Redbox and was thinking of renting it.

Watched it at the cinema and found it hilarious the main man himself had to star in it. Was he attempting to save money by not hiring an actor to be on screen for 10 minutes lol?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The previews made it look like shit, so I am not surprised that it actually is.

Mato

The worst part is how badly the aging concept was done. The people who died from old age didn't even look that old. Get a decent makeup artist, you cheap retards.

I liked it. I said it in the other Old thread but the acting was solid and the twist was relatively clever.
Watched it at the cinema and found it hilarious the main man himself had to star in it. Was he attempting to save money by not hiring an actor to be on screen for 10 minutes lol?
He has a cameo in all of his movies, doesn't he? I remember him having a part in Signs that was similar in stature to this one.

Lady In The Water was seriously the worst movie
i have ever seen……my god…. I thought Old sucked. Mid-sized Sedan was cool, and the part where
they pull the basketball sized tumor from the womans pelvis
was cool.

Last edited:
He has a cameo in all of his movies, doesn't he? I remember him having a part in Signs that was similar in stature to this one.
His cameo in Signs was actually sombre and convincing. The person who drove over Mel Gibson's wife and who's remorseful about the whole thing. He's only on screen for 2-3 minutes. In Old it seemed off seeing him in a normal acting role.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
He always does this.

VN1X

Banned
Huh weird, I kind of enjoyed it to be honest. But like all his movies they're always very polarising.

My only gripe is that he should've done more with the body horror aspects as one concept in particular could've been absolutely horrifying but they left that on the table...

Wife and I watched the trailer and surmised we had seen 90% of the movie, just not the hook at the ending of how some get out or Shame-malan threw a last minute twist on things. We opted to not rent it.

Fbh

I don't get how this dude keeps getting money.

Guess despite the poor reviews and everyone you talk to finding most of his newer movies bad, audiences still show up

That's a bad film, but worse than The Happening or After Earth? Not sure about that.

Lady in Water was just plain bad.

The Happening at least had comedic value
Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Guess despite the poor reviews and everyone you talk to finding most of his newer movies bad, audiences still show up

He'll make a great movie (Split, for me and a lot of people) every now and then and it restores our faith in him. Another good one by him is The Visit.

The doctor and Mid-Sized Sedan were intriguing. The doctor being ostracized as his schizophrenia worsened was well executed.

The progression of the beach scenes was excellent. Because time is so compressed, when characters divide their attention they perceive the events in a sort of dream logic - a nightmare that just keeps escalating.

Ionian

Sums up the way I felt after watching it. Not watching it again though as I happen to know how it ends.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s not a feel better movie but it’s a good movie carried on by bad actors.

Doom85

That's a bad film, but worse than The Happening or After Earth? Not sure about that.

Lady in the Water is a thinly-veiled “take that” against all the critics who DARED to dislike Signs and/or The Village. The scene where the future-seeing kid tells Shyamalan (pretty much playing himself) about his future where he is basically murdered for writing “an amazing story like none other”, geezus christ. The jerk-off levels are probably unparalleled in film history. You made some movies, dude, you’re not goddamn Abraham Lincoln or MLK Jr., get a reality check.

Then there’s the critic character himself just to hammer that metaphor even further in, a character just flat out called “Story”, and the fact we’re seeing a talented guy like Paul Giamatti wasted in this drivel.

At least The Happening had a potentially awesome initial concept, it was just horribly handled, and After Earth does have a few nice visual shots on occasion. Nothing positive can be said for Lady in the Water and I think it should be considered his worst just to prove a point that getting bent out of shape over people having different opinions, whether positive or negative, will get you nowhere.

I was glad he seemed to be getting his stuff back together, I really enjoyed The Visit and Split, and even thought Glass was okay despite its flaws.

I was looking forward to Old, not sure how it would turn out, but then I heard about the two kids who get older but would still be children mentally and yet they have sex together and I was like:

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

I’ve heard there’s plenty of other plot holes and other things that don’t make sense with the established rules of the aging element, but that was definitely the big “aw hell no” element for me that I heard about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom