• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is PS5 headphone volume always just too low....?

Mindman

I've been searching for new wireless multiplatform gaming headset, and I'm racking up the returns due to the PS5 low volume bottleneck I'm experiencing. I've tried several using USB dongle audio. The most recent is the Turtle Beach 700 Stealth Gen 2. It sounds great on every device.... except PS5. The volume is way too low on PS5, even with the volume dial and PS5 volume at max. I've set the chat/game slider all the way to game by creating a party chat to enable that mixer, but it doesn't help. You can find complaints on low volume for just about every brand of headset when used on a PS5 - TB, Hyper X, even the Sony Pulse 3D have plenty of complaints. What is going on here? Does the PS5 just not output proper volume for USB audio??

Does anyone know of any headsets that can get loud on the PS5 at all...?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I use the Pulse 3Ds and they get plenty loud. I actually have to turn down audio for most games.

I use them through the USB dongle, through the controller, and through digital TV output depending on what I'm doing and have no issues with any method.

Mindman

Go to the doctor and clean your ears.

Haha, I would, if other devices were too quiet. It's only the PS5, though.

There are 2 different sets of ‘volume’.
One is the normal volume like everywhere else, and the other is how much in game sound and/or chat volume

Right. I've adjusted the game/chat volume all the way to the game side - no effect. I think that helps the Pulse 3D get louder though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Using Pulse 3D and it's pretty loud, wireless or wired. You can also push it in the EQ together higher if need or choose the Shooter preset if you want even more volume. Also be aware that sometimes you push the chat/game ratio to chat too far that you find the game volume very low and don't know what's happening. Go check the settings.

Last edited:

Hugare

From my personal experience, using the USB port will give you low volume

I also have a headset that when plugged gives me really low audio

When connecting my headphone through the Dualsense tho, volume can get LOUD

See the posts above, all using bluetooth

Mindman

From my personal experience, using the USB port will give you low volume

I also have a headset that when plugged gives me really low audio

When connecting my headphone through the Dualsense tho, volume can get LOUD

See the posts above, all using bluetooth

What do you mean the posts above are using Bluetooth? I thought the Pulse 3D was wireless via USB dongle

Glad to see someone else in this thread with the low USB volume issue though

On the pulse 3d I can never play at full volume because it would be too loud. I do have a low tolerance for loud noise though because I have tinnitus.

AndrewRyan

Still using the older PS Gold headset at slightly lower than max volume. The faux leather wore off so it looks ratchet but still working perfectly.

SLB1904

Banned
I've been searching for new wireless multiplatform gaming headset, and I'm racking up the returns due to the PS5 low volume bottleneck I'm experiencing. I've tried several using USB dongle audio. The most recent is the Turtle Beach 700 Stealth Gen 2. It sounds great on every device.... except PS5. The volume is way too low on PS5, even with the volume dial and PS5 volume at max. I've set the chat/game slider all the way to game by creating a party chat to enable that mixer, but it doesn't help. You can find complaints on low volume for just about every brand of headset when used on a PS5 - TB, Hyper X, even the Sony Pulse 3D have plenty of complaints. What is going on here? Does the PS5 just not output proper volume for USB audio??

Does anyone know of any headsets that can get loud on the PS5 at all...?
Check if you have the wireless on. My corsair sound muffled if I have the wireless on while is wire to my duslsense because I use fir bith pc and ps5 sometimes I forget to turn it off

There are 2 different sets of ‘volume’.
One is the normal volume like everywhere else, and the other is how much in game sound and/or chat volume
This is likely it. You can accidentally mute all game sound while it shows your headphones volume is up.

WiCkEd_Co

Pulse 3d here and they are low at normal eq and I never really used them much but when they updated the menu bar so I can tweak the eq it's gotten better but still not as loud as my xbox headsets that I like.

mrcroket

The problem is not with pulse 3d, it works fine, the problem is with any other headphones with usb dongle. For some reason PS5 sounds pretty quiet when the audio comes from the usb, so yep, there is a problem here.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've posted about this on reddit before. Pulse 3d here as well, and it has way too low volume for, even cranking it to full. I've come to believe that it's just bad luck if you get one that is low volume.

Love all the "hurr de hurr get your ears checked" posts though!

DonF

Never had a problem with loudness. Used the old Golds but now I'm using the Phillips sph9500 or the Sony xm3 via the dualsense and all of them are pretty loud, I used them at about 75% volume. Are you sure you are using it right? Checking the volume via home button or whatever that bar is called?

Neilg

I use a pair of iem's with inline mic plugged into the controller and anything over 20% is deafening. So does seem like a USB issue.

Last edited:

Hugare

What do you mean the posts above are using Bluetooth? I thought the Pulse 3D was wireless via USB dongle

Glad to see someone else in this thread with the low USB volume issue though
Oh, thought it was wired via USB

I have a wired headset that I connect via USB and I have the same problem with low audio. Not when connected to the Dualsense, tho.

Mindman

To add to the mystery here I noticed that I can move the Turtle Beach headset to a different USB port on the back and sometimes the sound will be loud. It never lasts if I reboot the console though. What the hell is going on? I wonder if my PS5 has some USB defect, along with others that report low volume.

It doesn't make sense.

I’ve used and sworn by Sony wired headphones model MDRXB55AP/B.

$30 now, incredible sound been using them for like a decade, purchased many pairs over the years.

Loud as hell on PS5

Last edited:

Rac3r

Nope. Either you're using high impedance headphones, your headphones are damaged, or you have hearing damage. Wireless gets plenty loud.

ParaSeoul

Are you one of those people where you can hear about 3 different arguments and 10 dogs barking on the mic online

lucius

I got a Steel Series 7X use on Series X and PS5 at first I thought it was a bit low volume on both systems but I changed the EQ settings and it’s fine now. Also try changing Atmos or DTS in system because some games seem better one or the other but it depends on the game.

Using pulse 3d headset, I usually need it it at 50, 60 percent max, otherwise it's too loud. Some have said maybe your not touching the volume but the chat/mic button that looks just like the volume button.

Top Bottom