• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Me and Blizzard President (Mike Ybarra) Ran a Dungeon Today in World of Warcraft

It's amazing how some developers/executives/community higher ups are spending more time communicating with their playerbase and actually play games.

For those who do not know - Mike Ybarra runs his own twitch stream over at www.twitch.tv/qwik - he has a decent following and usually averages around 100 people and is very talkative with chat (when his not running a dungeon or in a downtime) and will on occassion actually answer Blizzard games questions assuming they are current day games and no one is asking about future plans or some crazy stuff like "What's happening with Starcraft" I actually took a chance a month ago and told him that as a fan I am hoping there is something for Starcraft in the future and he responded in the stream saying " I obviously can't say anything about future plans, but we are well aware Starcraft is an important IP and that there is a massive fanbase and we appreciate and respect that" which to me was a good enough of an answer.

He also holds a Discord community server and actually asks people if they have any certain Mythic+ Keys this is what he does the most and enjoys the most in World of Warcraft.

Here is his Armory Profile - https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/onyxia/qwik

Earlier today on the lazy Sunday me and him actually got to play together. He was asking in Discord if anyone had a +15 Vault of Wardens Key (Legion Timewalking Mythic+) or higher . I had a +16 in my inventory and told him I can run with him if he wants to and can tank for him. He requested it I turn my 16 into 15 because he had 2 other people lined up with Vault keys and they wanted to run 3 back to back. I assumed he was trying to farm a specific item drop from that dungeon.

I logged in and took the portal from Orgrimmar to Aszuna (Legion zone) which is where Vault of Wardens was located so that way he did not had to wait for me or summon me. We all get to the dungeon and are about to start, he sends a msg to party chat saying "WTF", "Hold on I am lagging" few seconds later he says "Ok I am good now let's go" so we do our usual readychecks and then the 10 second countdown command. The group was comprise of a Fury Warrior (Him), Me as a Protection Warrior, a Shaman, Warlock and a Healer (forgot who healer was but I think he was druid and I believe it was his friend that he brought along) We race through everything and just obliterate it. Mike Ybarra plays like a high end Mythic raider, he is in a guild called Denial of Service on Onyxia, sits at 271 ilevel as a Fury warrior with a full 4 piece tier set, the guy absolutely destroys the DPS meters. It was a crazy privelage to tank for someone like that and it was kind of a surreal thing.

I didn't really wanted to bug him with silly questions that he would obviously never answer and just didn't want to be annoying. Plus, I was the tank and I had to chain pull quickly since we're under a massive amount of time pressure speed running to beat the timer. We get to the final boss and pull the Legion Beacon (Mythic+ Affix for Legion Timewalking) where you click on a beacon and it spawns a ton of Demons. Somehow he accidentally pulled the boss while we were killing the horde of demon packs (they go in waves) which caused a wipe lol. But we were so far ahead in time that it felt like I was running a +2, at the end o the day we ended up timing it in like 20 minutes or so. It was a fun run that I recorded for the memory.

After we finished the dungeon I thanked him for the invite and told him that I am excited for Tuesday (Tuesday is WoW's next expansion announcement) and told him to impress me. He said "We will do our best, don't worry ^_^" It was such a crazy cool experience lol. Later, my boi Qwik jumps on Elden Ring LOL cause his just a older gamer that runs a big company and enjoys games just like all of us do here.

Last edited:
Even the Blizz president playing horde.....RIP Alliance.....I am still playing a human though. A paladin that's not human doesn't feel right. Arthas, Uther lightbringer etc..
That shit is about to change though to be honest with 9.2.5 with Cross Faction coming in after all these years you can do RGBS/Arena/Raids/Mythic+ with both Horde/Ally on your teams. It will be very interesting to see how the higher level guilds will now optimize with the Alliance and Horde racials, super excited for that. It will also solve the issue of the lack of Tanks/Healers in the LFD and queues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom