• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...piracy is the easiest option again, huh?

Blade2.0

I'm not going to sit here and advocate piracy, however, I did want to have a discussion on the absolute atrocious handling of online content nowadays. I believe the golden age of streaming are behind us. I'd probably peg it at 2010-2017ish. Basically for two subs (Hulu and Netflix) you could get whatever was available from one or the other and it was great. I've been trying to find some old classics to watch during Christmas and it's either premium subscription on top of the payment I'm already giving hulu or another streaming service outside of the two biggest ones, and they definitely aren't worth their purchase price.

For a long time I felt piracy was the harder option. But with the recent changes and every fucking content provider wanting their own $12 sub even when that shit isn't warranted...it's feeling like pirating shit would be easier again than going the legit route..

Anyone else been feeling this way?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Not when you need to subscribe to 50 different places. It's going back to cable where they nickle and dime you for everything. it sucked ass then, it sucks ass now.
"50" "Need to"? You're not making a fact based argument here.

Amazon Prime has Buffy The Vampire Slayer, that's all you need.... and you get free shipping.

staring buffy the vampire slayer GIF

Delf

Banned
I dumped Xfinity/Comcast this month and went with just their internet package. I'm officially cutting the cord.
I have a very basic plan (210 channels, 600mbps internet) and it runs me $210 a month. $140 for the service and another $70 for taxes, fees, rentals etc..

I hate it.

I'm not up on the go to move for cutting the cord and getting the stuff I want but I figure
I'm gonna grab a Chromecast TV for $50 and..

Use the Xfinity at home app.
Netflix
Hulu
NBCSN and Peacock (my kid watches soccer)
HBO Max
Prime

Think that's about all I need. Save me about $75 a month I think.
Before anyone ask...I dont like Disney or Marvel products and we never even used our free Disney+ Verizon gave me.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I use PlayOn, which describes itself as a streaming dvr, which is totally legit. It does a decent job with videos being recorded at 720p; throw that up on a Plex server, and I have all of the streaming I need.

Blade2.0

Just doing a small experiment. Taking

This list and seeing how many subscriptions I'd need to watch them all. It's 9. 9 subscriptions for 10 movies. Luckily 2 of them are free and to kill a mockingbird i'd have to buy because it isn't streaming on any subscription. but i don't give a shit what nush nush wants to handwave away. That's some honest bullshit.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

This list and seeing how many subscriptions I'd need to watch them all. It's 9. 9 subscriptions for 10 movies. Luckily 2 of them are free and to kill a mockingbird i'd have to buy because it isn't streaming on any subscription. but i don't give a shit what nush nush wants to handwave away. That's some honest bullshit.

Your position is flawed becuse you don't NEED to watch everything, right now, for the lowest price possible so you can justify pirating movies. Shut up, pirate want anyway without rounding people up to agree with you so you don't feel bad, or whatever.

Sleepwalker

Cable is awful. Streaming services used to be great when you could just hang on with a netflix sub I agree, but now there's so many subs and the content is so spread that it's basically not worth it?

Apple TV
Disney +
Hulu
Primevideo
Netflix
Hbo GO? idek what it's called
cartoons for the weebs if you're into that kind of thing.

That's already like $70 if they are all $10 (which tbf, I don't know. can't be bothered to check, I don't own all those services lol) and the content is only gonna get more spread out as more of these companies try their hand at making their own streaming service rather than licensing the content. And you have to keep up with what movie or show is where and all that. It can get annoying quickly. I'm happy to pay for content, just don't make it hard for me to sort through it.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Yeah streaming tv/movies sucks now, I feel it’s gonna get worse. Prices will probably slowly rise, and with a lot of streaming services having exclusive content. It’s kinda not worth it. Shit I remember when Hulu basic was free, and Netflix was pretty cheap. Ah good times.

Reallink

Even if you have cable and every service you can't watch the shit you want. My Comcast DVR (now cloud based) fucked up and recorded 15 minutes of an hour long TV show. I have Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Peacock, Comcast VoD, and Comcast login for all the network apps. It doesn't exist on any of them, have to pay per episode to rent it. They're out of their fucking minds, pirated that shit with the quickness and canceled Hulu cause it's worthless if I can't even find TV episodes I need on it.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm not going to sit here and advocate piracy, however, I did want to have a discussion on the absolute atrocious handling of online content nowadays. I believe the golden age of streaming are behind us. I'd probably peg it at 2010-2017ish. Basically for two subs (Hulu and Netflix) you could get whatever was available from one or the other and it was great. I've been trying to find some old classics to watch during Christmas and it's either premium subscription on top of the payment I'm already giving hulu or another streaming service outside of the two biggest ones, and they definitely aren't worth their purchase price.

For a long time I felt piracy was the harder option. But with the recent changes and every fucking content provider wanting their own $12 sub even when that shit isn't warranted...it's feeling like pirating shit would be easier again than going the legit route..

Anyone else been feeling this way?

No, piracy is not the easiest option.

Use www.justwatch.com to search for a movie or TV show and then sub to the service you want to watch. After you finish the movie/TV show you simply unsub.

Simple.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i admit i did pirate but haven't really felt the need to the last 5+ years.

it has got out of hand how many different services there are now. there have only been a handful of tv shows/movies i can think off that there is no legal way for me to purchase them. i'm more than happy to pay for content and i don't feel entitled to them. in these situations where there is no option to buy them then yeah i'm tempted to say fuck it i'll pirate it but honestly...didn't bother. it's just been random stuff that looked cool but i wasn't interested enough to bother getting hold of them. if it were a big show/movie then yeah i might have pirated it but everything i want to watch is accessible although there is some inconvenience and jumping through hoops.

my main streaming services are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+. That covers pretty much everything I want to watch. Netflix is really the only one I subscribe to month after month but if there is nothing I'm interested in then I'll just cancel it until there is more to watch. It just so happens Netflix library has a lot of stuff I want to watch so i've been subscribed for about ~9 months straight. For Prime I only really get it if there's a show I really want to watch or if I get it for joining Prime for shipping on an order. Usually I only subscribe for a month at a time. For Disney+ i've only joined to watch Mandalorian. Now that S2 is done I won't subscribe again until S3 most likely. outside streaming i will still buy or rent movies. i bought a few movies recently on Apple TV and i rent from either Google, Amazon, or Apple.

For music + games I have absolutely ZERO reason to pirate. Spotify is all I need. For games I found it too much hassle to pirate them. It's honestly quicker and easier just to buy it and again I'm quite happy to pay for content. The only times I'd pirate a game was if I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it so wanted to try it out. More times than not I've ended up buying a game that I pirated. that's not really an issue anymore though since Steam has a refund policy.

Last edited:

eot

Banned

This is my experience as well. Whenever I want to watch a movie I check the streaming services I have. 9/10 it’s not there, especially if it’s an older movie. I use my family’s Netflix account, I’d never pay for that service myself tbh. It’s really shit in Europe.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Amazon Prime and D+ package is a helluva combo. Being able to filter by free content on AP is a great feature, too. I don't find myself really wanting to watch anything so bad that I would go through the steps of piracy, but I'm lazy, and I have very little free time.
Has the sun set on open streaming? You could be right about that one Blade2.0!
And if someone doesn't like the Buff then they can GTFO.

I wanted to watch satoshi kon films and shogun assassin over the last week. Couldnt find them on any streaming service after a 20 min search. Piratebay (could) have them on my drive in 10 mins.

Jethalal

Banned
I generally don't need to pirate but for some shows I have no option. The Eric Andre Show isn't available at all on any streaming service over here and Amazon doesn't even have any disc-set available so I had to download it illegally.

Patrick S.

Banned
Amazon video is bullshit because with your sub you get only a small selection of what they have. Want to watch an old movie? SUBSCRIBE TO THE CLASSICS CHANNEL. Want to watch an action movie? SUBSCRIBE TO THE ACTION CHANNEL. Want to watch John Wick? Ok, we'll give you part two and three with your basic sub. Want to watch the first movie? SUBSCRIBE TO HOLLYWOOD PLUS PLUS EXTRA CHANNEL.

I would pirate a lot more often if there was shit worth pirating, there ain't.

Most content is garbo nowadays. Who the fuck wants to 'binge' watch a show where the first 5 mins is action, the last 5 mins is interesting and the middle 40 minutes are nothing but filler and shite.

I could be putting that time to better use, like wasting it on gaf

INC

Cant remember the last time I pirated anything, being older and having a more disposable income , not really an issue

I do use download YouTube to mp3 for music still

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No, piracy is not the easiest option.

Use www.justwatch.com to search for a movie or TV show and then sub to the service you want to watch. After you finish the movie/TV show you simply unsub.

Simple.

The need for that service indicates that there is a problem. It’s like how with trains in the uk you pay a fortune usually but can get trips cheaper by dividing the trip into 50 tickets doing small parts of the route. There are sites that do it for you. Would you argue that the model is sensible or agree that the presence of the helper site indicates a problem with the user experience?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I get HBO Max free through AT&T, Disney+ is paid for through 2022 due to the D23 launch deal (3 years for the price of 2), I pay for Prime annually, and I just cancelled Netflix. All I pay for each month is Hulu, CBS, and WWE. That’s about $30.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
imagine being so cheap you need to pirate in 2020

Top Bottom