• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...piracy is the easiest option again, huh?

I hate this idea that you're just entitled to all of the hot shows and movies for $11/month.

Cable used to suck because you got stuck with BET and CMT and shit. You were paying $60/mo for stuff you'd never ever watch.
Now we can get Netflix, HBO, and Disney+ for half that price and you're talking about piracy? For fucks sake.

Endless entertainment for $30/month. Cutting edge shows of huge productions values.
And that's somehow too much.

What a world.

Zog

Banned
It's true that streaming services are becoming the new cable, we even have bundles where each streaming service includes other 'channels' (example, Disney + has National Geographic and Pixar). There are even free things that you can stream (if you are willing to sit through ads, I am not). Worst case scenario is that you have to rent (for $3.99) the movie you want to watch but you no longer need to find a video store.

I have been cancelling services when I bore of them and I'll go back when they have something I want to see. I have cancelled HBO Max, Starz and CBS All Access. CBS All Access is frustrating, they remove previous seasons of some of their own shows like Magnum PI, FBI, etc..and leave only the currently airing season and that may only have a few episodes.

HF2014

Service is more horrible in Canada. We have Netflix, Crave ( HBO for 19$ a month ), Amazon Prime, and the two noob Disney+ and Apple TV. There is way less content available, sometime it make me miss the days of cable , which was in a way more simple, but again today, you can at least choose which one you want for a general low cost.

It sucks not everything is available, its one of the reason why i think DVD media is not fully dead and will not die. There is so many movies you just cant get on any services. Pirating for content? Well, having to drop 20$ on HBO compare to all other who are like 10$, only time i got the Crave service at 20$ a month was for GoT. And temptation of pirating this more expensive service is there, not like im willing to spend 20$ on that service.

No, piracy is not the easiest option.

Use www.justwatch.com to search for a movie or TV show and then sub to the service you want to watch. After you finish the movie/TV show you simply unsub.

Simple.
rclnL2N.png

Last edited:

MilkLizard

Buffy is some gaybo shit

This is the gayboest shit I've ever read.

If your outside of the US, piracy is basically a "necessisity". One example being the first season of the Mandalorian. D+ came months later here and then they still released the episodes weekly :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fuck that shit, a nice Radarr/Sonarr setup goes a long way.

The music industry finally figured it out years ago. Streaming services are so good you don't even think about pirating an album as long as you're not a cheap bastard.

Jethalal

Banned
Watched a bunch of movies on my parents tv yesterday. The fact they are inserting tv ads in streaming is reason enough to pirate. Fuck paying to see ads lol
We basically have ultra-cheap TV prices here so I understand if they show ads but it doesn't makes much sense in America at all. You guys pay over 60 dollars and still have to view ads, that's insane.

Amory

I just accept that there's shit I'm not gonna be able to watch. I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. It's enough.

The content is mostly bad anyway

Jethalal

Banned
It’s there, you’re just in a weird region

learn how to use a VPN. Will increase your access to movies dramatically.
Circumventing region-locks using VPN breaches the Terms-Of-Service. Wouldn't that be pretty unethical too?
Anyways, I searched online and people aren't able to use this using a VPN.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Circumventing region-locks using VPN breaches the Terms-Of-Service. Wouldn't that be pretty unethical too?
Anyways, I searched online and people aren't able to use this using a VPN.

Where did I say anything about ethics? I just called you cheap.

VPN works fine. Literally the first google link that came up had a guide for Criterion.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I ain't cheap, I have 3 streaming services but to say they are perfect and not a pain in the ass sometimes seems dense to me.
Bitching because they don’t have every movie in the universe seems dense to me

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
So breaking copyright and licence laws is ok as long as he's paying for the service?
I don’t really care what he does. If it pisses you off that’s on you. You do you.

Jethalal

Banned
Bitching because they don’t have every movie in the universe seems dense to me
Ofcourse they don't. Ofcourse they wouldn't. Hence streaming is not always the easiest option. Read the title of the thread. Don't get why you gotta fight for this.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Ofcourse they don't. Ofcourse they wouldn't. Hence streaming is not always the easiest option. Read the title of the thread. Don't get why you gotta fight for this.
Buying the film is by far the easiest option, which is what I do when it’s not on streaming.

maybe not the cheapest, but 100% the easiest. And you don’t deal with shit quality streams.

Jethalal

Banned
Buying the film is by far the easiest option, which is what I do when it’s not on streaming.

maybe not the cheapest, but 100% the easiest. And you don’t deal with shit quality streams.
Ok let me try.
78Up6Db.jpg

Best I got was the screenplay.
Guess I'll get it imported, definitely the easiest option possible.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Wow brother, that's easily top 5 dumbest things I have read on the net.
Guess I will shift to America to watch Shogun Assassin on Criterion Collection.
Which Visa should I apply for?
You’ll love it here bro, super easy to watch films without pirating

I honestly didn’t realize how big of a nightmare it is to do something as simple as watching a movie outside of the USA

Jethalal

Banned
You’ll love it here bro, super easy to watch films without pirating

I honestly didn’t realize how big of a nightmare it is to do something as simple as watching a movie outside of the USA
3rd world struggles bro :lollipop_weary:
Can't have shit in Detroit Delhi

JSoup

Banned
Buying the film is by far the easiest option

I stopped reading right there, looked the movie TheWeekdy is talking about on my preferred torrenting site, downloaded it and it's now ready to watch. 4 minutes total. Only reason it's not playing is because I stopped to type this post. In terms of 'fastest', piracy is going to beat out 'just buying it' by a wide margin for anything that isn't super obscure. And for super obscure things, piracy is your only option anyway.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped reading right there, looked the movie TheWeekdy is talking about on my preferred torrenting site, downloaded it and it's now ready to watch. 4 minutes total. Only reason it's not playing is because I stopped to type this post. In terms of 'fastest', piracy is going to beat out 'just buying it' by a wide margin for anything that isn't super obscure. And for super obscure things, piracy is your only option anyway.
Took me 5 seconds to hit the play button on criterion what do I win

JSoup

Banned
Took me 5 seconds to hit the play button on criterion what do I win

A nomination for the "Overexaggerating on the Internet, 2020" award, considering Criterions notably slow, buggy player.
You also win a chance to not watch the movie for the same reasons as previous, mixed with constant buffering and disconnection issues.
You ALSO win a chance to counter me with something along the lines of "well I've never seen those issues, lol pirate harder" or some such, despite a pile of easily Googleable evidence and my own experiences with the service.

I will concede that it was probably easier overall. You only had to click one button, I had to click three.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
A nomination for the "Overexaggerating on the Internet, 2020" award, considering Criterions notably slow, buggy player.
You also win a chance to not watch the movie for the same reasons as previous, mixed with constant buffering and disconnection issues.
You ALSO win a chance to counter me with something along the lines of "well I've never seen those issues, lol pirate harder" or some such, despite a pile of easily Googleable evidence and my own experiences with the service.

I will concede that it was probably easier overall. You only had to click one button, I had to click three.
Criterion app is pretty crappy but the stream quality is superb. Criterion is known for their high quality. Lot of the shit is actually remastered so criterion itself does work on the video and audio. Films look and sound phenomenal

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Also I haven’t had a buffering issue on any streaming service in as long as I can remember. I thought this was a thing of the past when internet sucked. I have 200mb internet which is the cheapest internet offered in my area. It’s like $40.

they nickle and dimed us all the way back to paying cable prices. sneaky mother fuckers...
tenor.gif

im so high rn
Not even a little true.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Hulu, and HBO combined are cheaper than base cable packages 15 years ago which wouldn't have half of the content or the on demand nature.

Spoil't rotten

xrnzaaas

For a lot of people it's definitely going to be the return to pirating, becasue there are way too many subscriptions with unique content and having ~2 subs won't be enough to cover everything interesting. Personally I watch a lot less tv shows and movies these days so it's not really an issue for me if I'm going to miss something. Or I can wait a few months, end my current sub and start a different one.

Kev Kev

Not even a little true.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Hulu, and HBO combined are cheaper than base cable packages 15 years ago which wouldn't have half of the content or the on demand nature.

Spoil't rotten
Not for me it wasn’t. It’s right about the same.

but I don’t pay for any of them anyway 🤷‍♂️ I use someone else’s Netflix and that’s all the streaming I do

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Not for me it wasn’t. It’s right about the same.

but I don’t pay for any of them anyway 🤷‍♂️ I use someone else’s Netflix and that’s all the streaming I do
What cable provider? Spectrum cable is way more than the steaming prices once your promotional pricing ends

Arkam

For video content (Film & TV shows) piracy is the only thing that makes sense (unless you were just a channel flipper back in the day).

Money is not even the problem (for some). It’s how fractured the catalogs are and how often what you want to watch is not party of any of them when you want to watch it.

Sure you CAN go to a third party site to look up which streaming service has this month, go sign up for the service, pay, download an app and then watch the film. Not too bad right.... til the very next film/show you want to watch is on another platform and you have to do the whole process again.

way easier to set up a home server and just archive what you like. Rip movies from redbox or download online (with VPN). Eventually you will have all that you need and can serve it easily.

Now if the MPAA (or whoever) would get their shit together and let us buy rights to films and standardized the DRM, most of us would buy the content.

But no, they want to Nickle and dime us in perpetuity. Buy the same film on vhs, dvd, blue ray, etc again and again. It’s a fucking scam.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, my marker for crappy is the Crunchyroll app. As in, does the app work at all? Then it's better than Crunchyroll.
My issue with the criterion app is it’s kinda set up weird where I don’t think it does a good job recommending new content

it you know what director or film you want it’s fine. But given the incredible amount of obscure films on it, it should do a better job of making you want to watch what it offers

Top Bottom