• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...piracy is the easiest option again, huh?

quickwhips

Agree. I have a plex server with sonarr and radarr. I also have Netflix and Hulu and disney because of freebie stuff. Plex is automated and all in one place. I have about 40tb of video and I share with about 15 people who buy me 12 tb drives when storage gets low or we vote content off. I think whoever masters a viewer for all content through api or leveraging plex that way would stop piracy.

I honestly don't know why I'm subbed to Netflix still. The last thing I watched on Netflix was Tiger King. That was months ago. The Netflix produced content has fallen hard and they don't get movies anymore, which is hilarious considering they began as a dvd rental program.

sol_bad

rclnL2N.png

Of course everything won't be available. When it was just Hulu, Prime and Netflix you couldn't get everything you wanted either.

eot

Banned
The difference is kids these days feel like they are entitled to everything
It's simple, people don't pirate music because services like Spotify are good enough, and have a critical mass of artists, making it the better option to simply pay for music. The same is true for games, with Steam and other online marketplaces, it's now much easier for me to grab a game on Steam than to seek out a pirated copy.

For movies, the situation is much worse and it's a simple fact that when the convenience of paid services drop, the piracy rates will go up. There are tons of sites where you can stream movies for free, that have way bigger libraries than even several streaming services combined.

Of course everything won't be available. When it was just Hulu, Prime and Netflix you couldn't get everything you wanted either.
So then piracy is the easy option if i want to watch films that streaming services have issues obtaining.

Everything should be available to buy/rent/stream. We aren’t there yet, thats where piracy picks up the slack. If the publishers are hurting due to that option, then thats on them to rectify it.

We are discussing lack of option, so i will dip out of this off tangent discussion. The orginal thread is about too many services and not enough cash, to which i say, tough shit. Get a job or cancel ones you dont need.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I dont promote piracy or support it bo sir indeed but a friend yes a friend of mine just got some IPTV and its I mean he told me its pretty good.

Yes my friend. He said he has every channel and tons of movies.

But piracy is bad my er um friend is bad.

Kev Kev

Not even a little true.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Hulu, and HBO combined are cheaper than base cable packages 15 years ago which wouldn't have half of the content or the on demand nature.

Spoil't rotten

What cable provider? Spectrum cable is way more than the steaming prices once your promotional pricing ends
like i said i dont really use all these services anyway (i was mostly stoned and just wanted an excuse to use that rafiki gif lol), so it doenst matter. but as far as i can see netflix, amazon, disney, hulu and hbo combined is around $50, while spectrum is around $80 after promos end. so not quite there yet, but its getting closer every year. content is better tho. but yeah, they are going to keep dividing services until we are paying that $80 per month again, or more. its just business. i miss cable. i like the network jsut deciding for me, instead of me scrolling through netflix for an hour only to decide to watch bojack horseman for a 4th time

nemiroff

Gold Member
Rotate subs.

Lapse one then start a new one until you consume all the content you want.

You don’t need them all at once

This is good advice. But unfortunately it doesn't really work in practice for a family..

Anyway, I agree with the op. I was hoping for a "Spotify-type" future for TV and Movies, and for a while it looked like we were on our way, but we appear to be going in the wrong direction right now.

Top Bottom