• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so, this coming week is F-Zero's 25th Anniversary...

Madao

November 21st to be exact is when SNES F-Zero debuted in japan.

it was the start of a new franchise right when the SNES debuted and the game showed off the new Mode 7 graphics. it was something pretty impressive back then and people talked about it a lot. it was also pretty popular since the game sold around 2.85 million units and it seved as the start point of another massive franchise (Super Mario Kart was made because they wanted to make a sequel to F-Zero that had multiplayer but didn't want to do the same IP so soon after it debuted)

after that, the series saw presence in all the Nintendo consoles that came after the SNES (in japan, it also saw SNES Satellaview "sequels" like the SNES Zelda game).
we got a jump to 3D and gameplay revamp with F-Zero X for Nintendo 64 in 1998, an expansion of said game with track editing tools and new content that was very similar to today's DLC for the 64DD add-on (japan-only) in 2000, a portable entry based on the original with F-Zero Maximum Velocity for Game Boy Advance in 2001, a graphically and speed charged sequel for Gamecube with F-Zero GX in 2003 coupled with an Arcade cabinet and a specially tuned version for arcades with F-Zero AX, a second GBA entry based on the anime in an attempt to expand the series reach with F-Zero GP Legend in 2003 (2004 for everyone outside japan) and a 3rd GBA entry also based on the anime which also attempted to combine the gameplay of both 2D and 3D F-Zero games together and was a second attempt to make a track editor but this time as part of the base game with F-Zero Climax in 2004 (japan-only).

there hasn't been new games in over 11 years now so we're approaching the point where the series' active release time will soon be less than the time between the last game and the present.

this is at least an attempt for people to remember the serie's milestones since i'm sure a lot of people don't even remember this.

hopefully Nintendo finds a way to relaunch this series next gen. the Mario Kart 8 cameo shows that the game could look great at the very least.

edit: series history in 1 pic:

ZyTzHyu.jpg

Toxi

Banned
It's dead Jim.

Unfortunately, it seems like futuristic racers in general have fallen out of favor, not just F-Zero. So I don't see Nintendo even trying it out in today's climate.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
F-what now? That's that jet ski game isn't it? Here's some more Mario and Pokemon, just what you wanted!

RIP F-Zero :(

Satch

Banned
we're never getting another one of these xD

didint you see the game they showed to take its place at the nintendo direct. captain falcon is dead

fahr

I hope the series resurrects soon as well, as I've recently been rediscovering this series starting with the simply incredible f-zero gx.

It's a shame the series has been dormant for so long but I believe gx and gp legend both bombed hard at retail so I guess it's understandable. (The idea of gx bombing is disgusting, but still...)

With the addition of f-zero themed tracks in Mario kart 8, and the continued popularity of captain falcon in smash bros, maybe Nintendo will decide to take a chance on a new entry in the series.

Maybe a nice start would be a vc release of gx on the wii u.

We can dream. :)

Madao

I hope the series resurrects soon as well, as I've recently been rediscovering this series starting with the simply incredible f-zero gx.

It's a shame the series has been dormant for so long but I believe gx and gp legend both bombed hard at retail so I guess it's understandable. (The idea of gx bombing is disgusting, but still...)

With the addition of f-zero themed tracks in Mario kart 8, and the continued popularity of captain falcon in smash bros, maybe Nintendo will decide to take a chance on a new entry in the series.

Maybe a nice start would be a vc release of gx on the wii u.

We can dream. :)

fun fact: the only F-Zero game you can't play on Wii U right now legally is GX (not counting jp-only games).

fahr

The gba f-zeros are on wii u??? I gotta check the eshop again. Even climax??

Edit: re-read. You mentioned no jp-only titles.

Madao

The gba f-zeros are on wii u??? I gotta check the eshop again. Even climax??

no Climax yet (i did mention not counting jp-only games and Climax was never released outside japan so don't hold your breath for that one unless you have a JP Wii U)

but yeah, every other F-Zero released in the west is playable on Wii U. FZSNES, MV and GPL on Wii U VC and FZX through Wii Mode VC.

Ezalc

F-Zero is one of my favorite video game series ever, and F-Zero GX to me is the best racing game ever created.

It's just, perfection.gif.

The sad state of how Nintendo barely gives a shit anymore to two of my favorite franchises (this and Metroid) is incredibly disappointing. Here's hoping futuristic racing and SciFi isolationist exploration games experience a resurgence soon.

Madao

How was climax anyway? Is it worth hunting down and paying inflated eBay prices?

i'd say it's worth it. it's the best and fastest of the 2D games by quite a margin. it's such a shame it was never released outside japan since it's what GPL should have been.
the only bad thing about it is that it has too many tracks but everything else is pretty good.
it also has a track editor so you can experiment a bit with edited tracks. while not on the league of FZX's Expansion Kit, it's pretty fun on its own.

Peltz

I still want to get my hands on that expansion kit for N64.

Madao, you should add a bit to the OP about F-Zero AX as well.

Vena

we're never getting another one of these xD

didint you see the game they showed to take its place at the nintendo direct. captain falcon is dead

Falcon is associated (much) more with Smash than he is with his origins in F-Zero. In fact, he's more of a Smash core-character than anything.

Greenymac

I got F-zero, and Final Fight along with my Super Nes and Super Mario World release year... Fzero was what I played most. I loved it. The music, the controls, everything. The race against self was strong. Maybe the genre is dead to game makers, but I sunk over 600 hours into Wipeout HD 20 years later. This genre cannot die. It must exist. All my friends who I havent visited at wipeoutzone in way too long would agree...

Eolz

Good OP.
We can't play GX on WiiU partially due to it using analog triggers.
I see the franchise coming back next gen though, for various reasons (Miyamoto being more open and understanding people want it, NX's architecture, I don't see MK8 DLC as being here to replace but to test the waters and promote, it being in nintendoland, etc).

Laputa_94

I became a fan of F-zero a couple of years ago and fell in love. Now I have to live with the fact I may not see a new game. It's sad because it makes sense that they don't make them anymore due to it not making alot of profit, but they should try to put one out each generation at least.

Madao

I still want to get my hands on that expansion kit for N64.

Madao, you should add a bit to the OP about F-Zero AX as well.

added a bit for it. i'm surprised i forgot that since i did get to play in an actual arcade machine back in the day.

Fandangox

At least metroid gets fanart of people ignoring its anniversary!

tbh I'd be fine with just vc release of X or GX, even if it doesn't make sense due to no digital triggers.

They should make one for NX. If they made one for 3DS, people would complain that it's not on Wii U with HD graphics. If they made one for Wii U, it would bomb because of the low active user base. Make one for NX and satisfy both portable and home console gamers.

Besides, they need something to hype their core fans. Metroid would work but we basically know they are working on one for the NX. A new F-Zero would be coming out of nowhere so that would make for a great E3 moment.

Azuran

Banned
F-Zero GX is a perfect game. I like to believe Nintendo stop making them because they knew they were never going to top that one. It kinda makes the pain tolerable.

Mr-Joker

Banned
That reminds me, I really need to go back and play more of F-Zero GX.

I'm buying Fast Race Neo and pretending it's a sequel, just like everybody else that's buying that game.

I am buying Fast Race Neo but I will not be pretending that's a F-Zero sequel, I will be treating it as a new game and judge it accordingly.

Plus from the look of the footage it plays nothing like F-Zero.

NoKisum

"To celebrate 25 amazing years for the F-Zero franchise, we've taken the stellar Mario Kart 8 DLC courses, which include 2 exclusive high speed F-Zero inspired courses, and release them in a brand new retail package with the main Mario Kart 8 game you already know and love. It'll be available in stores this Spring."

Man, I could hear Reggie as I typed that.

Toxi

Banned
"To celebrate 25 amazing years for the F-Zero franchise, we've taken the stellar Mario Kart 8 DLC courses, which include 2 exclusive high speed F-Zero inspired courses, and release them in a brand new retail package with the main Mario Kart 8 game you already know and love. It'll be available in stores this Spring."

Man, I could hear Reggie as I typed that.
Spooky.

F-Zero GX is a perfect game. I like to believe Nintendo stop making them because they knew they were never going to top that one. It kinda makes the pain tolerable.

I think that was basically Miyamoto's answer when asked why there hadn't been a new F-Zero. I hope the NX will bring enough to the table that a new F-Zero could feel fresh and impressive enough to him.

I would have loved a 3DS F-Zero personally, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think that was basically Miyamoto's answer when asked why there hadn't been a new F-Zero. I hope the NX will bring enough to the table that a new F-Zero could feel fresh and impressive enough to him.

I would have loved a 3DS F-Zero personally, though.

Not really, Miyamoto's answer was that he didn't know how to make the series sell better. People usually quote the F-Zero statement in a vacuum which says something like "we don't have any new ideas for the series" but that same response also mentioned Twilight Princess and sales not being where they had hoped in Japan.

Edit:
You've had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn't turn out that way?

Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver. And, well, to be honest with you, Zelda: Twilight Princess is not doing very well at all in Japan. It is very disappointing. But it is doing okay here in America.

Piers

If they made another F-Zero, it would fall into the Nintendo route of doing something completely wacky and unexpected, much to everyone's annoyance.

AntMurda

F-Zero and Metroid are two of my favourite franchises. I've come to terms with Nintendo effectively burying them.

F-Zero. Metroid (2D). Star Fox. Pilotwings. Wave Race. 1080 Snowboarding. Excitebike. I get no love from Nintendo :(. At least Fire Emblem and The Legend of Zelda are still active.

Toxi

Banned
F-Zero. Metroid (2D). Star Fox. Pilotwings. Wave Race. 1080 Snowboarding. Excitebike. I get no love from Nintendo :(. At least Fire Emblem and The Legend of Zelda are still active.
Star Fox is getting a new game next year.

Technically so is Metroid, but... Yeah.

diaspora

Fire Emblem survived by the skin of its teeth, had Awakening not performed as well as it did, I would have lost one of my favourite RPGs. At least Star Fox is getting a new game as... empty as it might appear.

Star Fox is getting a new game next year.

Technically so is Metroid, but... Yeah.

Metroid is getting its equivalent to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

Top Bottom