• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh, FFVII kind of sucks?

belmarduk

This, a thousand times.
It ruined the series. Science fiction should have no place in JRPGs.
At least Square Enix is still making quality games like Dragon Quest and Bravely Default.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
In 97? What are they?

I mean, I guess some may be "better" in some overall way according to your particular tastes... none are as groundbreaking at that time, I don't think. Xenogears was a year later or so, and was on a similar kind of scale in terms of epic JRPG adventures, and is also great.
Panzer Dragoon Saga (1998)

Its true OP. During that era games like Grandia, Suikoden 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 were way more fun. I played Lunar too on Playstation and I think thats a tad outdated with its mechanics too. Now i am sure everyone wants to kill me for slandering Lunar and FF7. But I will keep going.

People get upset when original FF7 gets dissed. But whenever I hear new players impressions most of them think its like walking in quicksand with bricks tied to your feet. Game is really slow moving. Great story though.

Crayon

I just replayed it pretty recently. First time since it came out.

I was actually really surprised at how good it was. Of course I loved it back then, but over the years my memory had told me that it was kind of overrated. But no, not at all. It was fantastic.

When I play Old final fantasies now, I play them kind of different. I run from a lot of the random battles to get wherever I want to go. It's not like I'm mainlining the game or rushing
, it just self-balances better that way.

Last edited:

Markio128

Sarcastic GIF

kunonabi

I never liked the original FFVII. It was too short, too easy, and the characters were pretty awful outside of like 1 or 2. The materia system was cool though so I was actually excited when they announced the remake since it's issues could finally be addressed. But of course Square botched that too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Got bored with it pretty quickly. Maybe I wasn't on the mood or maybe it's not for me.

Anyway, V is the superior FF.

Arachnid

"FF7cels"

Hold on, if they love playing FFVII and everything to do with FFVII, then wouldn't that make them FFVII sluts, the opposite of being FFVII celibate?
Wouldn't it be the ones who never played it be the actual FF7cels?

3C62E6915EF2AB9EEBF6712CC4E230CE43CC04B5
Not exactly how -cel is used outside of the word "incel". -cel could also be used as short for the full word, "incel". Take "femcel", for example. It doesn't mean female-celibate. It means female-incel: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Femcel

It could also be used to described ultra fanboys of a game or movie or series who need to get out and touch grass. The kind who foam at the mouth if someone disrespects their beloved media. So in this case, the foaming FF7cels. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!

the-more-you-know-shooting-star-7ohp4t73rr1fkpww.gif

mortal

Gold Member
Not exactly how -cel is used outside of the word "incel". -cel could also be used as short for the full word, "incel". Take "femcel", for example. It doesn't mean female-celibate. It means female-incel: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Femcel

It could also be used to described ultra fanboys of a game or movie or series who need to get out and touch grass. The kind who foam at the mouth if someone disrespects their beloved media. So in this case, the foaming FF7cels. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!

the-more-you-know-shooting-star-7ohp4t73rr1fkpww.gif
You don't have to explain it. It's why I said celibate in my post lol.
The offshoots you reference still make no sense when you actually think about it. FF7 involuntary celibates?
I think it's just another example of people online running with a meme and forgetting what it actually meant or represents in the first place.
I get it, but its usage makes no sense if you stop to think about it.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion. I don't agree, but I can't call you wrong.

It's hard to go back and play a "classic" for the first time. You really have to put yourself back in that time period when the game first released.

GametimeUK

I feel you on some of the criticisms especially the mini games. What platform did you play on? PS4 as far as I remember let's you disable random encounters so that criticism in particular doesn't hold as much weight if you played on newer systems.

Did you know you can change the speed of battles too in the menu's? I may not be remembering fully here, but there's a "wait" mode where time stops when in battle menu's or animations are playing. Sounds like it would have alleviated a lot of the pressure you were feeling.

I love Final Fantasy 7 Remake too, but I can totally see how someone may not be as fond of the original game when viewed through a modern lense however I also feel the random encounters and ATB fixes I suggested would massively improve your experience.

Arachnid

You don't have to explain it. It's why I said celibate in my post lol.
The offshoots you reference still make no sense when you actually think about it. FF7 involuntary celibates?
I think it's just another example of people online running with a meme and forgetting what it actually meant or represents in the first place.
I get it, but it still makes no sense if you stop to think about it.
It makes perfect sense if you look at it from the perspective of insulting ultra-fanboys. That's the part I'm explaining. It's calling them incels because of the way they act and respond. Typically, not someone well adjusted. Of course, it's making assumptions, but most of these generalized insults usually do.

Either way, don't blame me, pal! Take it up with whatever redpill forum thought of it. I definitely didn't invent it, though I'm legit surprised you never came across it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Times change, standards change. When FFVII was new it was the ultimate in JRPG's, though admittedly I like FFVIII more.

FFVII stood out not so much because it's moment to moment gameplay...it was the story. It was the first story I can remember where a major character in the game was killed.

To my 12 year old mind, this was earth shattering. That sheer emotional response and shock along with disbelief and hope that someone would bring Aerith back to life with a phoenix down...and to ultimately be let down...it was a little much for me at that time.

I tried it last year, had to drop it because its one of the worst games I've ever played.

Blocky characters, slow combat, random encounters and they happen at a fast rate, combat that requires no thinking, boring story full of 1 line comments by characters etc

Someone will argue "b-but it was fine when it released UwU". To that I say I don't care about the nostalgia of boomers, its not a good game if it can't stand on its own years later.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Old turn-based JRPG battle systems suck so horribly. I loved all those games back in the day but I can’t play them anymore.

I laugh when someone tries to say that turn-based makes them more strategic. What a load of shit. They’re completely mindless and repetitive. I think I just got hypnotized by seeing all these pretty numbers everywhere and watching my XP go up.

mortal

Gold Member
It makes perfect sense if you look at it from the perspective of insulting ultra-fanboys. That's the part I'm explaining. It's calling them incels because of the way they act and respond. Typically, not someone well adjusted.

Either way, don't blame me, pal! Take it up with whatever redpill forum thought of it. I definitely didn't invent it, though I'm legit surprised you never came across it.
lol fair enough. It still doesn't sound right to me, but I suppose that's just meme culture.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
And LOL that they “enhanced” the game on PS4 by letting you turn off random battles, fast forward, and cheat.

Gotta love how “you don’t have to play the game” is an improvement.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Times change, standards change. When FFVII was new it was the ultimate in JRPG's, though admittedly I like FFVIII more.

FFVII stood out not so much because it's moment to moment gameplay...it was the story. It was the first story I can remember where a major character in the game was killed.

To my 12 year old mind, this was earth shattering. That sheer emotional response and shock along with disbelief and hope that someone would bring Aerith back to life with a phoenix down...and to ultimately be let down...it was a little much for me at that time.
Chrono freaking Trigger.

Bragr

Banned
Fka2OKe.png

FFVII (and FF in general) was kind of a white whale for me growing up. Feel like I played everything but FF. When picking up my PS5 earlier this year, I got the heavy hitters on the console and that included FFVIIR.

I. Fucking. Loved it. Couldn't get enough and then it was over before I knew it. Knew definitively then that I just had to finally play the original.

I'm no stranger to old games. Grew up on the NES and every console forward (and PC) and still often play games older than this. But dear lord this game has problems that I think stem from it being the first 3D title in the franchise and it's protracted development cycle. I actually quite like the way it looks, especially the in-battle character models, but could we please decide on character style? There are 3 vastly different looking character models depending on whether you're in battle, out of battle, or watching an FMV. It's odd. The constant shuffling of party members is aggravating (something that I hated about Remake). The ATB system feels like the worst of both worlds. Instead of feeling exciting, I feel rushed to make decisions AND it's also boring. Press x to win. Didn't quite do enough damage? Change the spell. That's it. That's the combat. Also, the constantly changing camera angles screw up who you're trying to target half the time.

Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!

A lot of older JRPGs had randomized battles, but it's so egregious here. This alone is reason enough to put it down IMO. I'm literally afraid of walking in slightly the wrong direction in the open world.

Then there's the shoehorned "mini-games" that aren't even kind of fun and half the time the game does such a poor job of communicating to me what I'm supposed to do that I succeed by trial and error rather than specific effort.

I greatly enjoyed everything up until getting to the open world where my enjoyment quickly fell of a cliff. Cloud is cool, Sephiroth is cool, Midgar is cool. But that's not enough to float this game for me. I think if I continue this game it will strictly be for the sake of completion since I'm anticipating Rebirth and I'd like to know where they deviate.

I understand why it was such a big deal at the time. FMVs, badass villain (in looks at least), cool guy with big sword, 3D graphics. But damn. Shit's overrated as hell.
People will mock you, but random encounters have always been one of the great big "pretend it's not there" features in video game history.

Levels without checkpoints, progression so obscure you can't find it with a guide, horrendous level design. This sort of stuff has destroyed many a classic game as game design advances. Random encounters are right up there.

I loved Final Fantasy VII, but I will be the first to admit that it has aged poorly, and only nostalgia-googles will see it differently. Most of the battle systems in old RPGs are outdated and slow, and the random encounters should be viewed in a worse light than it is. But people can't bear to accept that their favorite games aren't what they once were.

It reminds me of something like A Link to the Past, where the weak combat is also ignored in a modern context because it's a legendary game.

Just do what I do, and pretend people on forums like this are apes that refuse to alter their opinions. People are not here to have video game discussions, they are here to cheer for their old views. (most people on here barely play games anyhow)

Neff

Nah it's awesome.

A lot of older JRPGs had randomized battles, but it's so egregious here.

Actually a pretty low encounter rate as JRPGs go. They even reduced it from the Japanese version for the west.

There is so much SHIT you can Jerry rig in FFVII that in the year of our Lord 2022, it's STILL one of the freest, agency filled battle systems of the series

This, Materia is the greatest.

Most of the battle systems in old RPGs are outdated and slow, and the random encounters should be viewed in a worse light than it is. But people can't bear to accept that their favorite games aren't what they once were.

It reminds me of something like A Link to the Past, where the weak combat is also ignored in a modern context because it's a legendary game.

I hate this. All of it. Well done.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

All old games suck and unplayable now.
Same with "GOAT" games of today after 20 years.

But the feelings and great memories we got at the time are very real and I appreciate the games of those times.
Yeah you tell'em.
ALL old games are junk!
Its all about Hero Shooterz, Open World side-quest-a-thons, Battle Royales, glowing arrows showing you where to go, walking sims, Checkpoints every 3 steps, and cosmetic micro transactions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I rented the game way back during the PS1 era. Not into JRPGs but wanted to give a try for the eye candy.

- Endless cut scenes
- Every time you summon a monster, that cut scene was unskippable (unless I was doing it wrong)
- Summon monster was OP and wiped the floor or enemies right away

I only dabbled with the game for a night and dont remember anything else. But how you could sit through all these cut scenes, you gamers must have the most patience on Earth.

I rented the game way back during the PS1 era. Not into JRPGs but wanted to give a try for the eye candy.

- Endless cut scenes
- Every time you summon a monster, that cut scene was unskippable (unless I was doing it wrong)
- Summon monster was OP and wiped the floor or enemies right away

I only dabbled with the game for a night and dont remember anything else. But how you could sit through all these cut scenes, you gamers must have the most patience on Earth.

Interesting you dabbled with a game for a night and managed to get all the way to the choco farm as there is no summon materia in Midgar.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interesting you dabbled with a game for a night and managed to get all the way to the choco farm as there is no summon materia in Midgar.
Who knows what I did. Maybe it wasnt even a summon. I was spamming this big blue thing that was an unskippable sequence. It might had been a giant creature blasting every enemy with water or something. Would kill every enemy in one hit.

I think this was what I played. It was a demo disc and the Leviathan.

Last edited:

Aion002

homer simpson beer GIF

Anyway... Are you playing the Remastered version? There's a option to turn off random battles on the remaster.

Last edited:

Brock2621

I don’t even have the time or gumption to coherently articulate a rebuttal worthy of this post…. I’m too dumbfounded tbh

Last edited:

Gexxy1

Played it for the first time in 2009. Favorite game of all time.

The remake was fine, mostly just ruined by the time-destiny-ghosts-of-fate bullshit.

I loved Final Fantasy VII, but I will be the first to admit that it has aged poorly, and only nostalgia-googles will see it differently. Most of the battle systems in old RPGs are outdated and slow, and the random encounters should be viewed in a worse light than it is. But people can't bear to accept that their favorite games aren't what they once were.
I just played Final Fantasy 1 through 7 in a row. They're all still great. I love turn-based JRPGs and random encounters still don't bother me.

You can call it archaic, I call it comfort food. And I still love new JRPGs with turn-based, simple combat, grinding levels, changing jobs, etc. Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default, etc are among my favorite recent games.

Who knows what I did. Maybe it wasnt even a summon. I was spamming this big blue thing that was an unskippable sequence. It might had been a giant creature blasting every enemy with water or something. Would kill every enemy in one hit.

I think this was what I played. It was a demo disc and the Leviathan.

[/URL]

Wow, that's crazy. I remember playing that demo before FF7 released. I don't remember it being that different. Aerith was with you in Avalanche to blow up the reactor.

TexMex

Ahh yes, I forgot every old game is a JRPG. How stupid of me.

Really weird that’s what you took away from that.

What someone who is “no stranger to old games” and “grew up with the NES” would get (and it seems plenty if people here did) is that FF7 in no way has any more or less of a random encounter frequency than all of those JRPGs you (claim to have) played.

AJUMP23

If I was a mod, which I would be amazing at, I would ban the op and lock this thread so fast that heads would spin, eagles would cry out of joy, deer would leave the safety of the Forrest to allow me to pet them, Russia would lay down their arms, Putin would resign, Ukrainian children would run free, and all women would learn to budget spending.

Thabass

A lot of older JRPGs had randomized battles, but it's so egregious here. This alone is reason enough to put it down IMO. I'm literally afraid of walking in slightly the wrong direction in the open world.
Don't play FFII, FFIII, or FFIV then lol

Top Bottom