• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh, FFVII kind of sucks?

Soodanim

I'm not going to read 3 pages of posts, but I think with a few tweaks you'll be able to work around things you aren't so much of a fan of and enjoy the best parts. Hopefully by now you've been given the workarounds you need.

No matter how much people like FF7, and I think it's great, random encounters will never be the best thing in the world if you're looking to get through something. Games that let you turn them off are praised for doing so. Pokemon at least had items, and Bravely Default gave you a lot of customisation when it came to encounters. Want to grind? Turn it up, great. About to die? Turn them off while you GTFO.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I thought BOTW had some lazy detractors with the hatred for weapon durability, but this bizarre inability to accept random encounters is something else.

I love both, incidentally. Some of you have strange terms on which you want to play games. Every gain (of new items, new territory, etc) should include a risk and trade-off of some sort. If you can just explore freely, there’s no real achievement to finding cool chests in an area. The remake is so damn boring on this point in particular... just mindlessly walk the scenery a little more and get more potions, hurray. Your characters should be on the ropes so that you weigh pursing a tough to reach chest again the need to get out of the area alive and heal.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I thought BOTW had some lazy detractors with the hatred for weapon durability, but this bizarre inability to accept random encounters is something else.

I love both, incidentally. Some of you have strange terms on which you want to play games. Every gain (of new items, new territory, etc) should include a risk and trade-off of some sort. If you can just explore freely, there’s no real achievement to finding cool chests in an area. The remake is so damn boring on this point in particular... just mindlessly walk the scenery a little more and get more potions, hurray. Your characters should be on the ropes so that you weigh pursing a tough to reach chest again the need to get out of the area alive and heal.
What’s the trade off? You’re fighting enemies that pose absolutely no threat to you, there’s no incentive/reward for playing well, and you encounter the same groups of enemies over and over.

Seriously, what is the point of random battles in FF VII (and most other JRPGs)? You could replace them with a button that you press to dispense XP/AP/gil/items and it wouldn’t make any difference.

I feel like the only purpose of random battles is to give you some treadmill to grind levels and improve your materia, and to let you showcase all the moves and spells you learn.

Just look at FF XIII. One of the most challenging + rewarding battle systems in the series and yet people bitched and moaned because you didn’t gain AP for the first couple chapters thus making battles “pointless”.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The narrative is a mess, not sure if it's poor translation or just sloppy across the board. Gameplay is fine though.

It took the best elements of FF6 and used them well but gave us a weaker story.

It's still a great game though, the music is absolute God-tier and is worth playing for that alone.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What’s the trade off? You’re fighting enemies that pose absolutely no threat to you, there’s no incentive/reward for playing well, and you encounter the same groups of enemies over and over.

That's definitely not the case in many locations in the game as you progress, particularly as you approach a boss and things get harder, or if you wander further on the map than you're ready for. Repeated encounters in many areas can and will wear down your characters HP, spells, etc very quickly, sometimes not enough to kill you but to make your boss battle much harder than it would have been since now you're low on everything.

Last edited:

Barakov

Fka2OKe.png

FFVII (and FF in general) was kind of a white whale for me growing up. Feel like I played everything but FF. When picking up my PS5 earlier this year, I got the heavy hitters on the console and that included FFVIIR.

I. Fucking. Loved it. Couldn't get enough and then it was over before I knew it. Knew definitively then that I just had to finally play the original.

I'm no stranger to old games. Grew up on the NES and every console forward (and PC) and still often play games older than this. But dear lord this game has problems that I think stem from it being the first 3D title in the franchise and it's protracted development cycle. I actually quite like the way it looks, especially the in-battle character models, but could we please decide on character style? There are 3 vastly different looking character models depending on whether you're in battle, out of battle, or watching an FMV. It's odd. The constant shuffling of party members is aggravating (something that I hated about Remake). The ATB system feels like the worst of both worlds. Instead of feeling exciting, I feel rushed to make decisions AND it's also boring. Press x to win. Didn't quite do enough damage? Change the spell. That's it. That's the combat. Also, the constantly changing camera angles screw up who you're trying to target half the time.

Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!

A lot of older JRPGs had randomized battles, but it's so egregious here. This alone is reason enough to put it down IMO. I'm literally afraid of walking in slightly the wrong direction in the open world.

Then there's the shoehorned "mini-games" that aren't even kind of fun and half the time the game does such a poor job of communicating to me what I'm supposed to do that I succeed by trial and error rather than specific effort.

I greatly enjoyed everything up until getting to the open world where my enjoyment quickly fell of a cliff. Cloud is cool, Sephiroth is cool, Midgar is cool. But that's not enough to float this game for me. I think if I continue this game it will strictly be for the sake of completion since I'm anticipating Rebirth and I'd like to know where they deviate.

I understand why it was such a big deal at the time. FMVs, badass villain (in looks at least), cool guy with big sword, 3D graphics. But damn. Shit's overrated as hell.
ew no GIF

Why do so many OPs on this site sound like they’re 15 year olds who just mixed 100mg of Adderall and 500mg of coffee?

Anyways, this is confusing, because the Remastered version of VII has fast-forward, no encounter, and cheats, that all make it much easier to experience. I wouldn’t be able to stand VII or IX without them.

I replayed FF7 about 3 years ago for the first time in a long time and there are definitely some aspects that didn't age well.

Overall, it's still an excellent game though, had a great time with it. IMO it's aged a lot better than 90% of games from that gen.

Hohenheim

One of my favourite games ever, but like many good childhood memories it shall remain that. A memory.
Not every game needs to be played again 20+ years later just to see all the flaws you didn't care about as a kid. With this game, even calling it flaws is stretching it, as the gameplay of such a old game in a genre like this will always will feel strange and out of touch with the stuff of this era.
Gameplay from a 25 year old game feels dated today? Well, who would have guessed...??
I mean, come on.

The remake on the other hand.. now, that sucks. At least compared to the epic original.
Almost never have I exprienced a more boring place to run around in for the majority of a game. And that area had such charm and atmosphere in the original. (When it didn't drag on for what felt like forever)
And the endless emo-sulking from the characters was a lot easier to stomach when it was just text.

Last edited:

chriskun

I definitely agree with the OP, the game is objectively bad. I think it falls into the category that people pretend to like because its cool, like In and Out burger.

Why do so many OPs on this site sound like they’re 15 year olds who just mixed 100mg of Adderall and 500mg of coffee?

Anyways, this is confusing, because the Remastered version of VII has fast-forward, no encounter, and cheats, that all make it much easier to experience. I wouldn’t be able to stand VII or IX without them.
He said he's playing the old PS1 demo, that isn't even indicative of the actual game.

tygertrip

Fka2OKe.png

FFVII (and FF in general) was kind of a white whale for me growing up. Feel like I played everything but FF. When picking up my PS5 earlier this year, I got the heavy hitters on the console and that included FFVIIR.

I. Fucking. Loved it. Couldn't get enough and then it was over before I knew it. Knew definitively then that I just had to finally play the original.

I'm no stranger to old games. Grew up on the NES and every console forward (and PC) and still often play games older than this. But dear lord this game has problems that I think stem from it being the first 3D title in the franchise and it's protracted development cycle. I actually quite like the way it looks, especially the in-battle character models, but could we please decide on character style? There are 3 vastly different looking character models depending on whether you're in battle, out of battle, or watching an FMV. It's odd. The constant shuffling of party members is aggravating (something that I hated about Remake). The ATB system feels like the worst of both worlds. Instead of feeling exciting, I feel rushed to make decisions AND it's also boring. Press x to win. Didn't quite do enough damage? Change the spell. That's it. That's the combat. Also, the constantly changing camera angles screw up who you're trying to target half the time.

Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!
Walk 10 feet. BATTLE!

A lot of older JRPGs had randomized battles, but it's so egregious here. This alone is reason enough to put it down IMO. I'm literally afraid of walking in slightly the wrong direction in the open world.

Then there's the shoehorned "mini-games" that aren't even kind of fun and half the time the game does such a poor job of communicating to me what I'm supposed to do that I succeed by trial and error rather than specific effort.

I greatly enjoyed everything up until getting to the open world where my enjoyment quickly fell of a cliff. Cloud is cool, Sephiroth is cool, Midgar is cool. But that's not enough to float this game for me. I think if I continue this game it will strictly be for the sake of completion since I'm anticipating Rebirth and I'd like to know where they deviate.

I understand why it was such a big deal at the time. FMVs, badass villain (in looks at least), cool guy with big sword, 3D graphics. But damn. Shit's overrated as hell.
I always thought it was a step down from FF6… and a mile down from Chrono Trigger! You might like FF9 though. If you have a PC, download the FF9 mod that AI upscales the backgrounds, it’s gorgeous. Also, you can modify the annoying shit. It’s called Morigi or some shit like that, I can’t remember.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I always thought it was a step down from FF6… and a mile down from Chrono Trigger! You might like FF9 though. If you have a PC, download the FF9 mod that AI upscales the backgrounds, it’s gorgeous. Also, you can modify the annoying shit. It’s called Morigi or some shit like that, I can’t remember.
Just a mile? You are generous. xD

Top Bottom