• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what will be Nintendo's new gimmick for the successor to the Switch?

mcjmetroid

So watching Spawnwaves discussion video here has me thinking once again- What will the hook for Nintendo next system?

A lot of the comments under his video show fans have a serious lack of imagination when It comes to this stuff. Mostly " more powerful hardware" or at worst " dual screen" suggestions so it could be compatible with old DS games and 3DS games. I don't think Nintendo will go back to the Dual Screen setup, the novelty has worn off on that idea.

Saying all this as well though, this is the company that gave us the WiiU so their latest idea could always be a dud but I don't think so. The WiiU was rushed to market I felt because of the waning interest in the Wii itself, the Switch isn't in that position and Nintendo can take their time on a newer concept.

Spawnwave made a suggestion about the Switch making use of 5G technology so you can play "anywhere" which is certainly an idea and a high possibility on where they could go next but I still thjnk you need more to hook the casual gamer.

My ideas/ prediction / wishlist:
- I do think this will be the system that finally takes online features seriously. I'll go with Spawnwaves ides of 5g technology. Their big concept will be you can connect ANYWHERE.
- I think Nintendo will launch the system with a full on Gamepass like service but use only their retro titles, they've laid the ground work with the current switch but there hasn't been much development besides adding a few titles here and there. That should hook the hardcore gamer.
- a fully integrated social service like an evolved miiverse, pictochat evolution etc
- they will have a high focus on DLSS or AI upscaling. It certainly won't be the most powerful system but most people won't care with a clean clear image. Again something to hook hardcore gamer.
- Backward compatibility is a must. This wasn't necessary with the Switch because people had long let interest in the Wii and nobody bought the WiiU.
- I would suggest a console/ handheld at the power of an Xbox One X.
- The controller will Include a form of haptic feedback with some other spin I feel.

That's all I got. My main hook is that you can play anywhere with anyone in the world at any time.

cireza

Banned
A lot of the comments under his video show fans have a serious lack of imagination

I would suggest a console/ handheld

Wow, amazing...

My only hope is that they will ditch this stupid setup and go with 100% home console or 100% handheld. Or two consoles. But they won't do this. They are going to make a lazy iteration with BC and call it a day.

Last edited:
Once you realize Nintendo's philosophy, it becomes easier to understand where...what gimmick...they will use next.

Withered Technology has three strict laws:
  1. Wait until the tech is cheap.
  2. Wait until the tech is understandable (easy to develop on / for)
  3. Avoid Cutting edge tech.

I feel AR tech has become Withered. Local, Multiplayer AR.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would love to see a Switch with an ultrawide screen. Never going to happen though, since docking it would result in horizontal black bars on like 99% of the TVs out there.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The biggest Portable Library, play thousands of games, anywhere!
via 720p streaming
$100 a year
Buy new games with stunning NextGen graphics @720p60fps for $59.99 to add to your collection to keep forever*

*Nintendo reserves the right to modify, update or discontinue our Services, or any features or portions thereof, without prior notice. You agree that we can suspend or terminate your right to access our Services at any time for any reason without notice, obligation or liability to you.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I would like them to go back to clamshell design. I think they could make it look console-like folded for TV use and still portable when opened.

dezzy8

It better be a Switch 2. Console that you can take on the go is the best. I’m tired of my switch because it’s so underpowered compared to the Deck. I hope they stick with this formula. Just make it more powerful.

Something more inline with the size and power of a steam deck, hall effect controllers made for hands that are bigger than a toddler, and a game pass equivalent for their current games (or at least ones that were out for switch) would be *chef's kiss*.

What we're likley going to get is a modestly stronger system with no BC, stick drift pro, and a random feature used for a few launch games only to get ignored the rest of it's life. Oh, and a step back in it's digital services in every possible way.

Robb

Gold Member
Very difficult to speculate what Nintendo will do, as always. Maybe something new with the Joy-Con controllers?

Otherwise I’m not sure, but there’ll definitely be something. I feel they should tap in to something that further increases the flexibility of the system, being both a portable and home console, but I’m not sure what that would be.

Holammer

It's not impossible the device will use download only or optical media and a HD.
Cartridges are still stupidly expensive to produce and games are getting bigger. There's money to be saved and even console gamers have seriously warmed up to digital only.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have no idea, so I asked OpenAI:

The Nintendo Puu is the latest console to hit the market and is the successor to the wildly popular Nintendo Switch. This new console is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages due to its innovative new gimmick.

One of the standout features of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to transform into different shapes and sizes. This is achieved through the use of a series of movable panels and hinges that allow the console to transform into a variety of different configurations. Whether you want to play on the go with a handheld device or set it up as a traditional console, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Another exciting feature of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to connect to other devices through the use of NFC technology. This means that you can connect your smartphone or tablet to the console and use it as a controller or even play games on your mobile device using the Nintendo Puu as a home console.

The Nintendo Puu is also home to a wide range of exclusive games that are sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. From classic franchises like Mario and Zelda to new and exciting IPs, there is something for everyone on the Nintendo Puu.

In addition to its impressive hardware and software lineup, the Nintendo Puu also boasts a number of online features that allow you to connect with other players around the world. Whether you want to compete in online tournaments or team up with friends in co-op games, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Overall, the Nintendo Puu is an exciting new console that is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages. With its innovative shape-shifting design, NFC connectivity, and impressive lineup of games, it is a must-have for any Nintendo fan.

Once you realize Nintendo's philosophy, it becomes easier to understand where...what gimmick...they will use next.

HD camera for AR.

You're right. Smartphone camera sensor are probably withered enough to build AR games around at this point.

Last edited:

Banned
how far along is wireless video transmission?

like, how expensive is it to get an analog transmitter that sends a 1080p or 1440p image to a small docking station?

the Wii U did it pretty well with 480p a decade ago.
same tech with higher res could be used to send the game image from the Switch to the TV, adding Wii U Gamepad like functionality.
including stuff like 2 Screen local coop etc.

and if you dock the system it outputs a wired 4k signal

Last edited:

Rudius

Wow, amazing...

My only hope is that they will ditch this stupid setup and go with 100% home console or 100% handheld. Or two consoles. But they won't do this. They are going to make a lazy iteration with BC and call it a day.
This would work really well with today's technology. It would be like the Xbox Series X and S, but with a wider gulf in GPU performance. The handheld would target a native 720p (with oled as standard) and the console would target 4K, with the help of DLSS. Both would be compatible with the same cartridges and digital copies, with shared cloud saves.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
For a while now, they(not Nintendo) have been working on a brain controller.

It's basically a headset that can read your brainwaves. Since everyone's brain is different, you have to do a setup, before you play.

Last time I checked, it showed a cube on the screen and asks you to turn in several directions just by thinking it. That's how you calibrate It. And then the setup would be part of your account, so you don't have to do it again.

This tech is not from Nintendo, but I believe they might be the first ones to try to implement it in gaming. It's a total guess on my part though. There is absolutely nothing concrete suggesting It.

Last edited:
Have the switch shaped like a pro controller but with a screen protruding from the top of the controller(like in between the triggers). But nintendo won't do that because they want the $$$ from including the controller seperately from the console.

Last edited:

Caio

Many assume that the successor to the Switch will be a Switch2, but I think otherwise. I do not exclude the possibility of a brand new hardware and new gimmick. Nintendo is brilliant and I think it's impossible to predict what comes next. Who expected a Wii after GameCube ? Or the Switch ?
Honestly, I have to say I didn't like the Wii so much, nor the Switch, but nothing I can say about Nintendo's genius, and only God knows what will come out of the top hat.
I miss a Nintendo console, and I hope the new hardware suits me, and impress me :)

OrtizTwelve

I suspect Nintendo will continue with the hybrid format in some form, and it will likely use a newer nvidia tegra chipset that should approach base PS4 power in terms of graphics. This is a common rumor / leak out there on the web that appears to be consistent.

The hybrid format has proven to be too successful for Nintendo to abandon, a next gen switch like successor with increased graphical capabilities and backwards compatibility is a no brainer.

I said this before and I'll say it again: it will connect to your TV wirelessly so you won't need a dock, only a dongle connected to your TV's HDMI port. It will be the ultimate Wii U. Mark my words.

This is technologically feasible, but what would be the point? So the Switch screen and TV screen could be used at the same time? My feeling is that the main reason for the WiiU's failure (and the dual screen portables being discontinued) is that two screens at once is both a gimmick and hinderance.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I could potentially see Nintendo trying AR/VR but I also think the success of the Steam Deck and the influence it is having on PC gaming show that Nintendo's selling point is correct, especially for an upcoming audience that tends to consume content on a small screen in their hands instead of a big TV.

That's pretty much impossible. A system approaching the default Xbox One is absolute best case scenario for a hybrid system.
I wonder if Nintendo would seriously consider the idea of making the dock more than just a dock. The One X was designed to run Xbox One games at a higher resolution, and that's where the power went. It makes no sense to put that in a Switch 2 with a lower resolution screen. But on the dock? It makes sense. Even if it's optional or something, a better/faster GPU to render the games at higher resolution would be appealing for a lot of people.

kungfuian

Repost from another thread-

Think their next machine should be the Switch AR

IMO a socially focused Augmented Reality machine would be a huge success for them. Imagining people gathered around in circles (at the table, on the playground, etc) looking into the same shared Pokémon battle or isometric Smash Bros style game. Collect cards/Amibos for each game and throw them down into any game. Walk up and request to join a game or view as a spectator. Or imagine an isometric table top style 4 player Mario. So many of their franchises seem like a fit for this type of machine (others that come to mind- Mario Party, Rabbids, Pikmin, Animal Crossing)

Basically the system would offer movable virtual windows into whatever game worlds they want to make with a focus on sharing those worlds. And of course it would still be a hybrid so games could switch to tv/docked modes, playable in a more traditional way (with more fixed camera views), and it would support traditional Switch games with enough power to act as a Switch Pro.

ToadMan

[/URL]

There’s withered … and then there’s dead.

AR is deader than VR or even 3D TVs.

Ninty would be brave to go that way, but then again the Wii U was a flop too so maybe they’ll try it, get a harsh lesson and kill it off early.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There’s withered … and then there’s dead.

AR is deader than VR or even 3D TVs.

Ninty would be brave to go that way, but then again the Wii U was a flop too so maybe they’ll try it, get a harsh lesson and kill it off early.
Nintendo has done more with AR than any other game company, see: Labo, Mario Kart, 3DS. And yea none of that stuff was a big hit. Labo was especially disappointing IIRC.

Last edited:

ChazAshley

I swear I read about the "Nintendo Cycle" somewhere ... but the pattern of Nintendo is: 1) Innovation then 2) Upgrade

NES - made an impact on what console gaming is all about
SNES - take the best parts of NES (games) and make them better with 16 bit

N64 - Step into the world of 3d - add stuff like rumble and 4 players, analog sticks etc.
Gamecube - more of the same, but better graphics

Wii - of course motion controls
WiiU - more of the same although admittedly the WiiU didn't do a good job of this

Switch - the merge between handheld and consoles
Switch2 - the upgrade of whatever Switch 2 is good at. Just have backwards compatibility, produce sequels and HD remakes of popular games, profit.

As much as it'd be cool to see something innovative, Nintendo is still sitting in money so they can just produce a Pro-switch and they'll be sitting pretty until the next thing they come up with.

Lasha

I would love for Nintendo to iterate on the joycon concept. Features like finger detection and proximity detection could be added without drastically altering the concept of detachable controllers.

Top Bottom