• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what will be Nintendo's new gimmick for the successor to the Switch?

Being able to use m.2 nvme storage drives instead of SD cards for much faster loading times.
loading times are fine on Switch. and that's coming from someone used to M.2 nvme speeds.

1. m.2 drives use way more power than a cartridge/sd card. that'll affect battery life. they can use up to ~7W. might not sound a lot but in a portable device it's a big difference.
2. m.2 drives are quite big for a handheld device. most PCs use the 2280 size. you can get 2242 size but they aren't as common and will probably cost more.
3. m.2 drives run hotter and therefore need better cooling. again not ideal for a portable device. a basic PCIE3 drive can hit 40C without doing too much and with a heat sink on it. a PCIE4 drive will get hotter than that. PCIE 5 drives are expected to require fans.

of course if they release a traditional console that hooks up to the TV that won't be an issue but i think they'll do another handheld.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I don't know. What I do believe is Nintendo will ditch video gaming when it is no longer profitable. Times change.

levyjl1988

Banned
I wish Nintendo can go back to compact handheld size so I can actually slip the system into my pocket like the GBA SP and DS Lite. I can’t do that withthe Switch and would usually stick that in a bag.

A more thin sized console would be great.
Reintroducing 3D with A.I distancing software would be great. 3DS was 2013 technology, I want to see it evolved with 2024 technology and improvements.

skyfall

Nintendo kinda messed up and backed themselves into a corner with Switch. Switch isn't just a single gimmick, with a single gimmick control scheme or anything, it pretty much has everything. works as 2 Single controllers, a traditional controller, motion controllers, even turns into a mobile device. The problem is it's too good of a console, they can't really go back to a single gimmick now.

mxbison

Why would they introduce something like GamePass or backwards compatibility when their old ass games still sell for full price like crazy?

Anything other than a Switch 2 with better hardware doesn't seem to make much sense.

Marvel14

Banned
I don't think Nintendo has to rock the boat a lot with Switch 2. Keep the successful hybrid home console/portable design, and just update the hardware to a more modern SoC.
I would make the Dock incorporate a SOC that's upgradeable to allow for high settings on TV screen, make the handheld SoC base Ps4 minimum with an SSD and DLSS2.0 so it can tackle most AAA on the go in the next 3+ years.

A midgen upgrade could just be a more powerful dock so that top end AAA can still run on it in docked mode for a third/half of the cost of a full console.

That could make the next switch easily last 7 years plus, giving themselves Time to finally move on to VR 10 years after everyone else.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Is two weeks a "necrobump"? If so, sorry, but I was thinking about this today and didn't want to shoehorn it into another thread.

We're all thinking hybrid as the obvious play for Nintendo's next hardware design, but what if their next gen version of the Switch concept was instead a streaming-focused home console, like an inverted Wii U? Local streaming is not a new idea--I mean, you can stream today from existing consoles--but making it standard/the core concept for a system would open new possibilities, just as making docking/undocking the core concept of the Switch enabled an experience that the PSP docking station couldn't match or making the Wiimote the Wii's main controller made it take off in ways that eye-toy/the wand never did.

Anyway, imagine an XSS-level console built using NVidia mobile hardware that:
  • beamed "Generation 2" software to local Gen 1 Switches OR any device with the app installed
  • used virtual machines to beam "Generation 1+" gameplay to up to four local Switches/devices
  • streamed Gen 2 games over the internet to distant Switches/devices (a likely disaster, but anyway)
  • could physically dock (for charging/exchanging save-states, etc., not processing) with a Switch, Switch Lite, or even multiple Switches/Lites via cheap (to manufacture) USB-C stands
The main advantage for Nintendo is that they would get to have their cake and eat it too with every aspect of the generational transition. Think about it: they'd even get to keep selling high profit margin Generation 1 hardware (hello OLED Lite) alongside Generation 2 consoles without cannibalizing either's sales. Plus, they could eventually put out a Generation 2 hybrid once they were able to cheaply miniaturize that chipset. Then, in a perfect world, they'd leapfrog their Gen 2 hybrid with a "Generation 3" home console a few years later, and the cycle starts anew.

For consumers, the gimmick brings relatively cheap/powerful hardware that integrates with existing Switches but also can stand alone; it makes local multiplayer/split screen possible for every game (a very Nintendo-esque gimmick); it hopefully brings Gen 2 joycon and pro controllers to the table; it might even make an inexpensive wireless VR solution possible down the road; etc.

I doubt they'll actually do it (because Nintendo), but it suits their philosophy and ecosystem, and it's about the only non-hybrid successor I'd be interested in. *shrug*

Watch them put out a smartwatch instead.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Watch them put out a smartwatch instead.
russell westbrook lol GIF by ESPN

yurinka

Full backwards compatibility, 4K on tv mode and 1080p in portable mode via DLSS, wifi 6, trophies, drift-free joycons with a proper dpad and buttons size. Pretty likely raytracing too.

And to continue focusing mostly in the same key IPs since the 8 bits generation: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

I wish Nintendo can go back to compact handheld size so I can actually slip the system into my pocket like the GBA SP and DS Lite. I can’t do that withthe Switch and would usually stick that in a bag.

A more thin sized console would be great.
Reintroducing 3D with A.I distancing software would be great. 3DS was 2013 technology, I want to see it evolved with 2024 technology and improvements.
Yeah that would be nice to have again. They could at least get it down to Vita size considering other PC handhelds or whatever you call them can get almost close to that and still be powerful.

Yet I really want a clamshell design again as those were always good for your pocket.

Last edited:

Caio

As much as I didn't like the Wii, and I don't like the Switch, I have to admit that Nintendo can pull out of the top hat cool stuff that no one can expect or predict, they are brilliant.
So, don't waste your time trying to predict what will be the successor of the Switch. Only God knows :D

Last edited:
Bring back dual screen. The Zelda HD remakes really showed that feature off amongst other titles. Stop dragging ass on emulating GameCube and DS Games. If they are gonna keep the new "play what we give you" mindset with their back catalog it needs to expand and not have a extra price like the current scam. 1080p60 should be at least be their baseline for all new titles. It keeps the hardware cost down. DLSS using a newer Nvidia apu would be a good idea. As much as the Wii u gets its negative rep here on site its games were a backbone for the Switch. Just deliver a proper mix of old and new tech again and get rid of the cardboard shit but maybe keep rhe AR thing to add some more options.

Elios83

A new gimmick depends on a new technology, if they keep the hybrid console concept and that's all but confirmed given the success of the Switch, I think they might try to use a foldable screen to make it way more portable.
Other options could be some AI powered features to use the console in other ways?
VR compatibility? Probabily too risky.
I don't think there are other new technologies that allow for something completely different, it's basically more powerful hardware, new foldable screen tech, AI and VR features.

Last edited:

Majukun

most likely nothing...they will ride the switch wave much like the other companies do...last time they tried to re-invent the wheel it ended bad, meanwhile as long as it's a portable nintendo console and decently priced it will sell a lot

Top Bottom