• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's next for Resident Evil remakes?

HYDE

Banned
RE1 remake with over the shoulder.
Needs to happen so badly!

Then like has already been said, use the assets to then remake Z & CVX.

I see no reason to not remake 5 & 6, since they are both great.

I’d also personally love third person added to RE7, as adding it to RE8 is already bringing in more players.

Last edited:
Work Quality GIF by MOODMAN

HYDE

Banned
Resident Evil 1 should never be made something different than it is. That game nailed everything on the first try. The remake improved some things, while making other things worse. But Resident Evil started as an exploration horror game with some light puzzle elements and rudimentary 3D combat. It was never intended as an action game, nor as a shooter. I’d rather the series at least remembered its roots through the first game, instead of turning even that one into another shooter. That mansion was mostly empty; making it the set of another action game would not work.

RE2 and 3 were perfect for remaking, because their action-y nature was at odds with the original’s controls and gameplay. RE1’s template would never work optimally with tight rooms and corridors filled with enemies, or with fixed camera angles.

Code Veronica is a disaster of a game that I’d rather people just let go into oblivion.
But if they must remake it, hell, remake it from the ground up. Leave absolutely nothing unchanged, and pretend the original never came out like you’re doing with RE1, Capcom. We deserve this. YOU deserve this.
I respectfully disagree. People said the same about remake half my lifetime ago. It was also tampered with again when released for PS3, to get rid of the tank controls (similar to Onimusha released for PS4). Now, it’s ripe for a brand new audience, and the originals will always be available. Just ignore them if you don’t enjoy them personally, like I still try to pretend DMC2 wasn’t ever made.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I doubt they'll do Code Veronica because that was the next title and they skipped it.
Unless they plan on rewriting the timeline as they're already rewriting the history in the current Remakes.

I do think Code Veronica needs the Remake.
I'd imagine the next game after RE4 will be RE9
and probably the Original for the 30th Anniversary with a sneak peek of RE10
But I believe RE9 is gonna tie in with the Remakes more then RE7/8.

nah, give us over the shoulder, 4K, raytracing and in the new RE engine.

lol the first make they did was literally after 1 generation, fuck you talking about? lol
I'm talking about the REAL remakes i.e. the thread we're discussing here.

No one compares REmake with RE2. They aren't in the same fashion at all

Matt_Fox

If the release pattern follows the formula then it will be...

2017 Resi 7
2019 Resi2:RE
2020 Resi3: RE

2021 Resi 8
2023 Resi4:RE
2024 <Resi5:RE>

There are a couple of easy revisions they can do to dampen any potential controversy from the African setting, but I cant see how they wont do Resi5:RE next because it's essentially an iteration/reskin from Resi4:RE (just like how RE3 was from RE2) and so they'll be able to put it out in quick order.

5 is also the best-selling title in the whole Resi franchise so there is no way they'll be leaving it out.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

NOPE they need to to do 5 and 6
Rewrite and Retcon a lot of it and abridge the timeline.

Then they need to start Devil May Cry Remakes and Retcon the majority of DMC2 and abridge the timeline.

Probably 0,1,and CV are next in line.

5 is one of my favorites in the series but it still plays and looks great so, I'm fine if they hold off on it.

6 I'm hoping is a not just a remake but a complete do-over. Throw out everything from the original and start from scratch.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are the next entries, but the problem is that they are relatively new compared to the other entries, to the point a remake no longer feels 100% necessary.
That's not the problem when it comes to 5 and especially 6.

The game that should be remade is obvious to me. RE1.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
You dam right, enough with the werewolves and ganados bullshit, that's not resident evil _ it's a spin-off and should have been named something else. I want them to go back to the series roots and do a proper sequel to resi3. At the same time, im all in favor of remaking the old masterpieces, and answering OP should be Resident Evil 1, no brain era. Should have been first thing to remake if you remaking a series Jesus Christ _ you too Brutus Konami.
Yeah if they remade RE1 as a next-gen only title, it could be visually breathtaking considering it would be relatively enclosed spaces so they could go bonkers with raytracing etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE1 first person VR
My dream RE title is a VR exclusive that focuses on Bravo Team. Imagine taking the reigns of Forrest, Kenneth, etc. and knowing that you're not gonna survive... Even if it was like a 3 hour experience, it could so amazing/intense. Bravo Team deserves a proper sendoff.

OT, I think the remakes are gonna be done for a bit. I could see something like Outbreak because of the online component but CVX probably isn't going to happen anytime soon and Remaking 5 & 6 is a waste of time unless they specifically want to alter character personalities. I'd be 100% on board with that if the main goal was to alter the series canon.

Last edited:

NT80

They've already done RE1 then rereleased it a few years ago so now way should they be doing that again. Also that game is so limited compared to later titles.
I want Code Veronica more than any other. That game had an amazing atmosphere and music and I liked the story.

DaGwaphics

Honestly, I'd like them to do more of a reboot than anything else. Keep the themes of the early games but weave a new story/character into it all.

Maybe have an everyday family living in RC as primary protagonists, maybe with one of them being a lab employee or something to work that side in. Let the game be their story of surviving these events and work in key moments/themes from the series. They could work towards establishing a safe hiding place only to realize in the second act that they need to escape because the city is about to be nuked. All in third-person of course.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ok, so how many versions of the original in total we've had, including the first remake? Five?

So the next one should be REREREREREREmake

Either that or Gun Survivor VR REmake Turbo EX Alpha Beta Gigachad Edition

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
RE1 would make the most sense. Maybe RE0 too, but not sure they really care about that one. Has it ever even been ported to anything other than the GameCube? Edit: Guess it has.

Revelations please its my favorite RE.

I believe you mean Revelaitons.

Last edited:
I don't see why they wouldn't do Code Veronica. I think it's a great game, both in spite of and because of the voice work, lol. I'd be interested to see how they might clean that up a bit. They don't have to remove the camp/cheese, but if they did, it could still be interesting to see how it would feel in comparison.

dcx4610

I know they denied Code Veronica but it's logical. I've never played it and I bet a bunch of people skipped it back in the day. A modern remake and I'm totally in.

I also wouldn't mind an actual remake of the first game with modern controls. Since it's smaller and more of a corridor/claustrophobic experience, you could really go nuts with the graphics and make it incredible.

They need to remake/redo:
Residents Evil 1
Residents Evil: Code Veronica
Residents Evil 6 (like completely redo)

I don't mean same game with prettier graphics, I mean completely rebuilt from the ground up

Last edited:

angrod14

I want action-horror RE back. Make RE9 a TPS where you blast mofos a-la RE4 & 5 and stop playing around with FPS for YouTube streamers. And bring back the true RE characters, not that faceless average Joe with his detachable hand and that ugly hoe.

I'm frigging PUMPED for RE4 Remake.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I want a 60FPS REmake upgrade on console with better shadows and the option to skip load times through doors. Beyond that, I’m very satisfied. Maybe a RE3 add-on with some of the missing parts and enemies would be cool too.

Comandr

I would honestly love a co op Resident Evil 0 remake. Local or online? Hell yeah. Also a proper new version of RE1. Idk look capcpom you keep making them and I’ll keep buying them.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I don't think that Capcom will consider RE6 and Veronica unless there is a HUGE demand from the fanbase to see those two remade. RE6, Veronica and RE4 are the largest RE games in terms of scope and locations. RE4 was a sure bet because it's regarded by many as 'the bestest video game evah!!' so it seemed less risky in Capcom's eyes.

But RE6? I don't see them remaking it considering it was the RE game that literally put the franchise on ice for a few years. Why the heck would they want to go back to it?

Veronica is ... tricky. And as long as people are asking for it, Capcom will continue to consider it.

Then again, we've been asking for a Dino Crisis revival for years and we got dick.

yurinka

I think the mainline RE and RE remakes teams will take a rest and during a few years the remake teams will help other brands like Street Fighter, Dragon's Dogma, Pragmata, Exoprimal, Monster Hunter etc. before working on the next mainline RE and RE remakes.

But I think the next remake will and should be RE Code Veronica, after it RE5, RE0 and after it RE1. All of them with both full VR support and normal tv mode, and both first person camera or 3rd person over the shoulder camera.

Last edited:
I think they should move forward with new games now. What I would like is for them to develop two lines of RE: One high profile over the shoulder like recent remakes and one like REmake with more emphasis on puzzles.

Roni

Gold Member
There is a remake of a game from 2013 in the wild, a game from 2009 and another from 2012 are fair game at this point. Said in another thread that if they manage to fix 4's story successfully, I'd be down to see them fix 5 and 6's mess.

Astral Dog

If they don't even want to REmake Code Veronica, Resident Evil 0 Would be much lower on the list(at least it got a lovely remaster).

Resident Evil 1 is very likely to recieve another REmake treatment one day, and they may reconsider CV eventually, Resident Evil 5 could happen but not in many years.

I think they will let the remake saga rest to focus on new titles, next one is Resident Evil IX, and there were rumors of a Revelations 3(could have been cancelled)

Astral Dog

There is a remake of a game from 2013 in the wild, a game from 2009 and another from 2012 are fair game at this point. Said in another thread that if they manage to fix 4's story successfully, I'd be down to see them fix 5 and 6's mess.
What could they even do with 5 and 6? those were designed to be pure action packed crazyness from the start, Resident Evil 4 was a mix of atmospheric survival horror and action and is beloved by everyone

I don't see them approaching Resident Evil 6, a survival horror reimagining wouldn't fit that game, RE5 may get one, they could fix the single player and shit sections

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
If they don't even want to REmake Code Veronica, Resident Evil 0 Would be much lower on the list(at least it got a lovely remaster).

Resident Evil 1 is very likely to recieve another REmake treatment one day, and they may reconsider CV eventually, Resident Evil 5 could happen but not in many years.

I think they will let the remake saga rest to focus on new titles, next one is Resident Evil IX, and there were rumors of a Revelations 3(could have been cancelled)
Not entirely sure, but I think Dusk Golem said a couple of years ago that Revelations 3 evolved into RE8.

Astral Dog

Not entirely sure, but I think Dusk Golem said a couple of years ago that Revelations 3 evolved into RE8.

He did, but he later clarified that it was not Revelations 3,but simply a continuation of Ethan's story wich was not titled as main line(but later turned out to be, i think he was confused by the name and didn't knew VILLAGE=RE8)

He then later started talking about a RE Outrage wich could be titled Revelations 3 (Outrage codename turned out to be REverse or some multiplayer thing) ,that info turned out to be false, but he gave many details about it like the setting being an University and Rebecca appearing, he says he is convinced development was advanced at one point, but its the RE project he knows about less.

So, i guess... A Revelations 3 could happen one day(if it ever existed 😳)

Top Bottom