• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So whats the weakest link in my aging pc?

GPU - Radeon RX 570 Series - Primary/Discrete
VRAM - 8192 MB - GDDR5 1750 MHz
Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 570 Series
Device ID - 67DF
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 341B
SubSystem Vendor ID - 1462
Revision ID - EF
Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16
BIOS Version - 015.050.002.001
BIOS Part Number - 113V34114-F3
BIOS Date - 2018/03/19 23:45
Usable Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1268 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 224 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 7.00 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0002
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

jigglet

Banned
What's your CPU?

That GPU is actually not a bad one. And you have the version with the 2x amount of VRAM too.

Without seeing your CPU I'd say you just need 16gb memory, 8gb was already not enough many years ago. You'd be able to pick some up an 8gb stick second hand for like $30 on ebay (rough guess, haven't looked in a while) and you should be good to go.

That rig should easily play most things at high settings @ 1080p. The 570 is roughly on par with the 1060, which I believe is still the most popular graphics card on the market today.

As long as your CPU isn't a dog (it most likely isn't, CPU tech has evolved verrrrrrry slowly over the last 10 years) then honestly I would just keep using what you've got till supply stablises.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU
@ 3.20GHz 4 Cores

RAM
8 GB

Yeah so that's a decent CPU. It's based on the Haswell architecture which is famous for being one of the best value CPU's in Intel's history from a performance as well as longevity perspective. Honestly you only need another 8gb of ram. Make sure it's the same speed.

$30-50 and you're done. No need to spend any more money till supply stablises out there.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You need to upgrade everything in all honesty but I'd say start with the motherboard/CPU/RAM if money is tight.

jigglet

Banned
Here's some benchmarks for your rig (the video actually has the 4gb version of your GPU not the 8gb, but it won't make a difference other than supporting higher quality textures). As you can see GTAV runs at a respectable 40-60fps:

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
You need to upgrade everything in all honesty but I'd say start with the motherboard/CPU/RAM if money is tight.

Yes you're right if money is tight then that's the right approach, as the 570 is still a solid card.

But I still think he shouldn't do a thing till supply stablises (other than buying more ram). That rig should be able to play 90% of games out there at a decent framerate.

And if he's got a Freesync monitor then that's even more of a reason to hold out.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Jeeves

Yeah so that's a decent CPU. It's based on the Haswell architecture which is famous for being one of the best value CPU's in Intel's history from a performance as well as longevity perspective. Honestly you only need another 8gb of ram. Make sure it's the same speed.

$30-50 and you're done. No need to spend any more money till supply stablises out there.
Seconded. I'm using an RX 580 with a Haswell i7 still, and 16GB of RAM, and I'm still happy. Though I only do 1080p and don't fuss about framerates.

Last edited:

Excess

So, Polaris and Haswell. I presume you're gaming at 1080p? I want to say the GPU. That card is akin to a GTX 970, so I'd imagine that's doing most of the legwork, but it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. It really just depends what your expectations are. If you're playing older games, the bottleneck could shift to the CPU.

Banned
Device ID - 67DF
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 341B
Revision ID - EF
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1268 MHz
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0002

I think you are the weakest link lol... you literally only showed GPU info here

edit: oh ok

CPU
@ 3.20GHz 4 Cores

RAM
8 GB

so I would say your CPU is old but it should still be good for 60fps in most games. your RAM is unacceptable tho... 8GB of DDR3 ram is just awful. is it at least 2x 4GB or a single 8GB stick?

Last edited:
too be honest ive pretty much switch 2 ps5 as my main gaming system, I still have a nice library of older pc games tho, looks like I didnt miss much

jigglet

Banned
your RAM is unacceptable tho

Yup. Most games will say they only need 8gb. Never listen to that. It assumes you have no web browsers open, no music players, no Discord. Nothing. I play R6 Siege and it has 8gb recommendation. 8gb my ass. The moment I open even one Chrome tab it shoots over and the game chugs.

16gb was the bare minimum even like 5-10 years ago lol.

jigglet

Banned
too be honest ive pretty much switch 2 ps5 as my main gaming system, I still have a nice library of older pc games tho, looks like I didnt miss much

Given the age of your rig your RAM type is probably DDR3.

I just looked around and you can get that second hand for $10-20. For that price it's a no brainer :)

Buy some more ram and you're done. You'll be able to play almost everything at normal to high settings @ 1080p.

Last edited:

Banned

get a 2x8GB DDR3 ram Kit and that should be good for most games for now. the GPU will become a bit too outdated soon tho, it is ok now but not for much longer I think.

Out of curiousity how would the difference in ram effect real world performance? Would I be able to crank up shadows? aa? density? or just multitasking?

Fuz

Banned
Out of curiousity how would the difference in ram effect real world performance? Would I be able to crank up shadows? aa? density? or just multitasking?
Ram is memory. When you start forgetting thing due to old age, you know you need more ram.

Banned

it will mostly boost your CPU performance and tasks, like draw calls, AI, Phsyics etc. it has an impact on many settings and some games are just very CPU heavy by nature as well, so these will run better no matter the settings.
also some games might have stutters with this little ram because windows background tasks and the game you play will fight for RAM space and this isn't great.

how is your ram set up? is it a single DDR3 8GB stick or do you have 2 4GB sticks? because that also slows down your CPU. you should always run RAM in dual channel, meaning 2 sticks not 1, because this greatly improves your bandwidth.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

For me anyway it's multi-tasking.

I often like to have a Chrome browser running with multiple tabs. I have Discord, and maybe some music going.

nush

Gold Member
Device ID - 67DF
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 341B
Revision ID - EF
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1268 MHz

The component between the keyboard and the chair.

ahtlas7

I have the solution for your current build

truck taking GIF
:messenger_beaming:

Kenpachii

Everything is aging.

If u can wait however, best to wait a year because pci-e 5.0 and ddr5 will be released next year including amd cpu's and intel cpu's that support it. However the innitional adoption price of that tech could cost you more. Still that shit will stay for a decade valid most likely to come and just slam you old gpu in there until u can upgrade.

If u can't wait buy a 3000/5000 series ryzen cpu or a intel 10k / 11k series cpu whatever u can afford ( make it atleast 6 cores and 12 threads tho ), slam in some cheap 3200 16gb ddr4 memory in it and slam your old gpu in that box and u are good to go.

Md Ray

The CPU is your weakest link, but it's alright if your framerate target is 30fps.

The GPU is decent, has similar power-level to PS4 Pro GPU. So this should be good as long as cross-gen games are a thing.

8GB system RAM for gaming is on the low side these days, definitely recommend going 16GB if you're upgrading to DDR4/5 system.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

It really depends on what you wanna do.
CPU
@ 3.20GHz 4 Cores

RAM
8 GB
CPU should be alright, probably DDR3 RAM?
Device ID - 67DF
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 341B
Revision ID - EF
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1268 MHz
Should be decent enough, again, depends on what you want to do with it.

In short:
A new motherboard, cheaper/older model to re-use CPU or go a bit more expensive to have many more options for upgrades (In any case, DDR4 RAM and M.2 storage slot preferred.)

Long(er) version:
You should try another motherboard, you could re-use the CPU if possible and get yourself some DDR4 RAM, maybe even go for 16GB's. (And keep the GPU the same)
Also, install Windows on an M.2 SSD, and you're basically set for another few years.
If the budget is somewhat bigger though, a newer motherboard will always give you more options, like newer CPU's. Although if you were to go that route, I suggest doing a GPU upgrade first and then a CPU upgrade.

SomeGit

8GB is far too low so that would be the first thing I'd look to.
Your GPU is probably worse than your CPU so trading that for at least a 6600XT or a 2060 Super/3060 would be a good upgrade (when prices go down), but GPU bottlenecks are easier to resolve than CPU ones that 570 is likely to play games fine by going way down even to 720p/low if needed.
But to upgrade your CPU you also need to upgrade your motherboard and your RAM from DDR3 to DDR4. So the combo I suggest would be a Ryzen 5 3600 (or 5600X if the budget is higher) with a B550 motherboard plus 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4 at 3200Mhz.

So my suggestion is if you have a really low budget just get the RAM and SSD if you don't have it. For a 4th Gen Intel CPU you need DDR3 RAM.
If you are willing to spend more, upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/RAM. When prices go down upgrade the GPU.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I agree for 2 reasons. The first is that it is easier to find CPUs at MSRP now than GPUs and the second is that if you want to run Windows 11 you will need one. Actually 3 reasons. Modern mobos have faster USB and storage.

If you want to play new gen exclusives you will need to upgrade everything, and that will be a costly affair. If there’s no particular game you can’t get running well right now then just wait until GPU prices drop. If you really want to I guess you could upgrade the CPU now, but that also means you will have to buy a new motherboard and new RAM as your current motherboard doesn’t support modern components.

If you just want to play PS4 gen games, your PC should be fine as it is? Maybe upgrade the GPU when you find a good deal.

I got a hdd, pretty much confirmed what I thought, very little reason to upgrade also very impractical considering I got a ps5 and switch. I will be back tho, its only a matter of time before I go full blown pc gamer again. Next time I want a machine that can emulate well systems better, dolphin, yuzu, etc.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Device ID - 67DF
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 341B
Revision ID - EF
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1268 MHz
It's not a playstation 5

CPU
@ 3.20GHz 4 Cores

RAM
8 GB
your cpu.

best you could do is put a 4790/4790K (K only if your mobo supports OC) in and up to 16gb ram. suppose it'll give you some kind of boost in performance but it's still a 4 core cpu and DDR3 ram. not worth the money imo.

minimum for gaming these days should be 6 core cpu and 16GB ddr4 ram. so an i5-8400 or ideally a 8700K. but for those cpus and ddr4 you'll need a new motherboard which makes no sense right now.

if you're gonna get a new motherboard/cpu/ram then best to hold off. we're getting new cpus from both intel and amd soon which will support ddr5 and pice 5.0. just wait and build a kick ass PC from scratch. while you're at it ditch HDDs and get a fast nvme ssd. the fastest ones atm are 7.3GB/s (for comparison ps5 is only 5.5GB/s) but with pcie 5.0 speeds could be as much as 14.6GB/s!

Last edited:
Top Bottom