• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So where would next gen cyberpunk have ranked amongst last years goty?

Cyberpunks next gen update is great. It adds some QOL and immersion features bringing it closer to the idea that was sold. With that being said you think that it would have been amongst the better 2021 games if it launched as it currently is?

Returnal
Ratchet
Deathloop
Halo
Forza
It takes two
Dread
Village

How does the next gen version fair amongst these games to you?

Guilty_AI

What does it matter? We all know the true goty was Cruelty Squad

Cruelty-Squad-Guide-to-Basics-for-Beginners-1.jpg

Sleepwalker

It's better than a few of those. Obviously they fucked up releasing it for potato hardware, if it had come only as a next gen exclusive the discourse would've been way more positive.

But if my aunt had balls and all that

People are insane. It’s…fine, at best. It feels like Deus Ex or Vampire with a little Bethesda. The writing is pretty good, the graphics are, again, fine at best. Yes, with blazing full raytracing the lighting is amazing, but the models are ugly. The animation is poor overall, and some bad lip synching. It’s still very buggy, and missing many features of the oldest open world games. The open world exists for no reason than a huge quest hub you have to get through, that’s all. It’s not reactive, it’s boring, and you feel zero joy of exploration.
The world itself is ugly and obnoxious. The cars drive horribly. The enemies are bullet sponges with brain dead AI.

It’s in no way better than any game on that list.

Last edited:

Kydd BlaZe

Psychonauts 2 should be on that list.

But I’m enjoying my time with Cyberpunk at the moment. Haven’t made it too far just yet to say it’s better than any of those games on the list, but I’m glad I waited to play this on Series X. Bought it at launch and waited for the update. Glad it’s finally here.

Chukhopops

Even at launch it was superior to a lot of games on that list, and right now it's in a very good spot especially with the loot and perks fixes.

I'll always prefer a game that's too ambitious and misses a few parts to a game that's doing perfectly but in a very narrow and controlled scope (like a lot of recent GOTY contenders).

Good job showing that circlejerking is still cooler than an actual objective opinion.

I won't say it would win GOTY but it definitely would have been nominated if it had released in its current state. Wonderful narrative with an enjoyable level of character and build customization. Everyone just decided it would be GTA 2077 and it was never going to be that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good job showing that circlejerking is still cooler than an actual objective opinion.

I won't say it would win GOTY but it definitely would have been nominated if it had released in its current state. Wonderful narrative with an enjoyable level of character and build customization. Everyone just decided it would be GTA 2077 and it was never going to be that.
Even in its original state the story was probably the best out of any of the GOTY contenders.

so, this game takes place in a massive open world city. At various locations, you you do missions. To get between locations, you can drive a multitude of cars, and listen to the radio, but be careful! If you break the law, the police will arrive and attack!
It’s absolutely nothing like GTA, you’re right. GTA has working systems like pedestrian reactions, traffic, cars have unique feel, police have an AI to speak of.

Cyberpunk should never have had the open world in the first place, because it’s a decent, oldschool feeling first person rpg with pretty good writing wrapped in a terrible janky open world and bullet sponge combat.

I’m not circle jerking on this. The first time I played it was the 5 hour demo. I’ve done the opening corpo and part of the next missions. It’s an okay game, in no way great at this point, with a lot of jank. People spawning inside of things, the cars feel terrible, the models sometimes snap into T Frame, you can see things pop and load like shadows and characters in literally a few feet away in other rooms as you move forward and back. There is no joy of exploration.

Last edited:
It's a first person Western PC RPG. It's more Elder Scrolls and Fallout than GTA.
Exactly. It feels like a traditional, old rpg ( mid 2000s old) when you’re in the story, with a terrible, non reactive open world with lots of bugs, nothing to find, and cars that drive like shit wrapping it all. It’s a solid Bethesda rpg wrapped in a terrible gta clone you have to interact with now and again. It’s just empty space to move between missions.
4 hours in, it’s solidly enjoyable, really cool at times, and also still messy. I’ll probably buy the full version.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
It was GOTY when it released in 2020, and I didn't play anything last year that came close to it, so I guess it wins again, if that's how that works.

rolandss

It's better than a few of those. Obviously they fucked up releasing it for potato hardware, if it had come only as a next gen exclusive the discourse would've been way more positive.
Being released on previous gen wasn’t and isn’t its only problem though. It was just clearly unfinished and bugs aside wasn’t anything near what they promised as being this world changing rpg but a pretty run of the mill story driven shooter. So much content that was talked about or presented by CDPR was cut from the game and so much of what they said about it just wasn’t true.

rolandss

Exactly. It feels like a traditional, old rpg ( mid 2000s old) when you’re in the story, with a terrible, non reactive open world with lots of bugs, nothing to find, and cars that drive like shit wrapping it all. It’s a solid Bethesda rpg wrapped in a terrible gta clone you have to interact with now and again. It’s just empty space to move between missions.
4 hours in, it’s solidly enjoyable, really cool at times, and also still messy. I’ll probably buy the full version.
If you want a Bethesda game you’ll be bitterly disappointed. Fallout and elder scrolls games are buggy but their worlds are infinitely more interesting and have more content in them thet cyberpunk.

Fluo

4 hours in, it’s solidly enjoyable, really cool at times, and also still messy.
I'm so tired of this argument about non reactive open world. In any other open world game pedestrian npcs are just as mindlessly dumb and it's alright, since their only function is to be fucking pedestrians. Like which behaviour would even satisfy you? You even consider graphics in cyberpunk "just fine" which is ridiculous.

Horizon's open world is barely any better, the melee combat sucks and aiming is clunky and everyone's falling over backwards to praise the game.

In Cyberpunk you roll around, complete missions from your fixer and every now and then you get really good memorable side quests that are absolutely top notch. That's the game, take it or leave it.

Stuart360

If you want a Bethesda game you’ll be bitterly disappointed. Fallout and elder scrolls games are buggy but their worlds are infinitely more interesting and have more content in them thet cyberpunk.
yeah i agree 100%. Poeple keep going on about bugs, last gen hardware, etc, but the game was just boring, dated feeling, and so restirctive for an open world game. This was my most anticipated game for like 3 years, i wanted to LOVE the game, but the game just isnt what they promised over the years.

Last edited:

Cyberpunk is an open world game. GTA is the gold standard of open world games. CDPR developers literally stating it to be 'the next generation of open world games' but yeah everyone just decided to compare this it to GTA.
It definitely is not a valid comparison. Not in the slightest.

Last edited:
It was my runner up to Half-Life Alyx in 2020. Of course, I wasn't playing on a last gen console.
Wow, I agree with you 100%. I played the shit out of it on PC and never ran into any issues.

They just shouldn't have ever released it on console. A lot of the negativity probably could have been avoided.

I'm so tired of this argument about non reactive open world. In any other open world game pedestrian npcs are just as mindlessly dumb and it's alright, since their only function is to be fucking pedestrians. Like which behaviour would even satisfy you? You even consider graphics in cyberpunk "just fine" which is ridiculous.

Horizon's open world is barely any better, the melee combat sucks and aiming is clunky and everyone's falling over backwards to praise the game.

In Cyberpunk you roll around, complete missions from your fixer and every now and then you get really good memorable side quests that are absolutely top notch. That's the game, take it or leave it.
Go play Watch Dogs 2 and tell me again how mindlessly dumb NCP's are in open world games.

Stuart360

Go play Watch Dogs 2 and tell me again how mindlessly dumb NCP's are in open world games.
I was trying the new patch out last night, just to see if performance on PC had been improved, and instantly the braind dead, dead eyed, pedestrian bumbling about and bumping into each other, right before they turn around and head off back down their set path. Well it just looks so stupid,

This games problems are way deeper than just bugs.

Fredrik

Weird question, but okay, this would be my 2021 top 5 in that case:

1. Metroid Dread
2. Forza Horizon 5
3. Cyberpunk 2077 1.5 PC
4. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
5. The Ascent

Second half of the list is a bit foggy, not finished them all:

6. Moss Oculus Quest 2
7. Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR
8. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
9. Fantasian
10. Gears Tactics

I was trying the new patch out last night, just to see if performance on PC had been improved, and instantly the braind dead, dead eyed, pedestrian bumbling about and bumping into each other, right before they turn around and head off back down their set path. Well it just looks so stupid,

This games problems are way deeper than just bugs.
That's all NPC's in Cyberpunk do haha

Look at this following example of NPC's done right in an open world game. But yeah they're mindlessly dumb right? lol

This is one of the reasons I enjoy Watch Dogs 2. You can just cruise around the city and the NPC's will do random crazy shit. Came across a couple fighting once. The chick took a baseball bat to the boyfriends car lol.

Last edited:

Isendurl

Cyberpunks next gen update is great. It adds some QOL and immersion features bringing it closer to the idea that was sold. With that being said you think that it would have been amongst the better 2021 games if it launched as it currently is?

Returnal
Ratchet
Deathloop
Halo
Forza
It takes two
Dread
Village

How does the next gen version fair amongst these games to you?
I like it better then any of these games, but that might be because I've never played any of these games. :pie_thinking:

Hinedorf

Banned
Let's give all the 2021 games ANOTHER YEAR and a great determination to turn a giant pile of shit into a smaller pile of shit and then come back to me with their changes.

This is the same BS as saying "look at No Mans Sky today!" for a game that came out in 2016.

What did we get sold on release date?

crotch-chop-dx-generation.gif

Fair enough, never played it, looks cool.
Honestly its good even if you're just assing around in the game world. You come across some really crazy NPC interactions. I honestly wish developers would use this as baseline for next gen games and expand on it.
We need more random NPC interactions in open world games.

Cyberpunk's initial promises of next gen open world interaction made it seem like we were getting Skyrim type stuff with full NPC day/night routines etc.
I think that hurts the most that we didn't get that feature.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough on the Xbox One X. Played it again on the Series X and liked it the same.

This update hasn't changed much imo so it still stays as not quite GOTY but a very good game.

Top Bottom