• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Why Are Switch & Switch Lite Sales Being Combined?

Closer

I almost want the Switch to stay on the market for 8 years just to relish in the amazing show of mental gymnastics that would ensue if the Switch passed PS2 sales. No exclusive, no acquisition, no betrayalton could top that. Add together the salt of “Square just shot themselves in the foot” and that of “Nintendo is stealing our games” and you’d still fall very short of the amount of salt we’d see flowing.

Can we pretty please?

Dog Please GIF

Jennings

They're combined because they're the same thing. Missing a video output doesn't transform a device like this into something else.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

Is this kid serious?

They are the same hardware. One of them cannot connect to the TV or disconnect with controllers, but the internal hardware is the same across both models. Same GPU, same CPU, same RAM, same power delivery, and even the same motherboard with VERY minor tweaks to the lite model.

They're combined because they're the same thing. Missing a video output doesn't transform a device like this into something else.
That's exactly what it does though- it makes it a dedicated hand held as opposed to a home console / handheld hybrid

kirby007

It sure as heck did not take you 14 minutes to respond to that post with a measly two-liner when myself and two other posters responded to you spreading misinformation about the nature of other console revisions and have been apparently glossed over.

You're ignoring my rebuttals.

Way to argue in bad faith.
you ignore many warning signals :
1. referencing a Sony forum aka hivemind
2. halfassed arguments which only detract from competitors but not his own sportsteam.
3. he mad, being emotional never is a good way to start an argument
4. trying to discredit the numbers by using a questionable source on this forum
5. presenting points that aren't actual points or backed by valid reasoning

if i had used letters instead of numbers that would have been a BINGO

NinjaBoiX

WTF are you talking about OP? Switch Lite is just an ergonomic variant of the same console, it is the same platform that plays the same games.

I have no idea what mental gymnastics it took to feel like they should be treated as separate consoles…

Lognor

Banned
"There are several games you can't play on the Lite due to the functionality they removed from it." is what I wrote.

you'd have to pay an extra $100 to get that functionality back. Is that really the same console then?
And most PS3s were not BC so the OG PS3 and refresh should not be totaled together. So Xbox One actually sold more that gen. Interesting...

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wouldn't argue that they are the same platform - but they are certainly not the same type of console. You guys are acting like there's never been a distinction between home consoles and handhelds before.

Well, people are free to categorise the sales how they want, but i will include all the switch models under, switch.

I mean why only focus on the switch, there different models between most consoles.

blacktout

That's exactly what it does though- it makes it a dedicated hand held as opposed to a home console / handheld hybrid

Honestly, this argument is a refreshing subversion of expectations, since up until now the standard talking point to downplay the Switch's success has been that it's "actually just a handheld." Good to see your cargo cult has finally discovered the existence of hybrid consoles.

PSFan

what is the amount of copium needed to write dumb stuff like this?

What copium? He's right. The Switch is a handheld that can connect to an external display. Just like the PSP and Vita could before it. Look at the Switch itself, all the processing and everything is done in the unit. The dock does nothing. It's just a piece of plastic with a cable pushed through it to connect the Switch to.

Also, 100 million Switches sold does not equate to 100 million owners. Many individuals have purchased multiple Switches during its lifetime. I myself own two. And I know there are people who have bought multiple Xbox and PS5 consoles, but it's nowhere near the amount of people who have bought multiple Switches. Nintendo sales have always been twisted to make them look better than they actually are.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is this even a question? It's the same platform.

Honestly, this argument is a refreshing subversion of expectations, since up until now the standard talking point to downplay the Switch's success has been that it's "actually just a handheld." Good to see your cargo cult has finally discovered the existence of hybrid consoles.
I never argued that the OG Switch was considered a home console /hybrid- and I wouldn't have any issue with sites saying "the Nintendo Switch Family" outsold the WII or PS1 - but in all cases sites compare them apples to apples to the other home consoles throughout history and that I don't agree with.

Lognor

Banned
What copium? He's right. The Switch is a handheld that can connect to an external display. Just like the PSP and Vita could before it. Look at the Switch itself, all the processing and everything is done in the unit. The dock does nothing. It's just a piece of plastic with a cable pushed through it to connect the Switch to.

Also, 100 million Switches sold does not equate to 100 million owners. Many individuals have purchased multiple Switches during its lifetime. I myself own two. And I know there are people who have bought multiple Xbox and PS5 consoles, but it's nowhere near the amount of people who have bought multiple Switches. Nintendo sales have always been twisted to make them look better than they actually are.
You know? How do you KNOW this? What is your source?

I'm calling bullshit. Sony releases so many "Special edition" consoles that sell to the same people over and over again.

For the PS4 there was
-TLOU2 model
-KH3 model
-500m ps4 pro model
-20th anniversary model
-spiderman model
-2018 days of play model
-Star Wars Battlefront 2 model
-MHW model
-MGS5 model
-GOW model
-Destiny model
-Gold model
-COD WW2 model
-FF XV model
-Arkham Knight model
-Uncharted 4 model
-COD BO3 model
-Disney Infinity model
-2019 days of play model

That's NINETEEN fucking models! And you know there are a lot of people that already owned a PS4 model that would buy multiples of these. Nintendo has had significantly fewer of these special edition models. Sony going after those repeat buyers again and again and again.

Mowcno

The same reason PS Vita and PS/Vita TV are combined. They are the same console with a different form factor. They have the same OS and the same library of games. Software wise the Switch Lite is identical to the Switch.

Wanting to not combine them is idiocy.

Rykan

If the Switch had been correctly classified as a handheld with an awesome TV-out gimmick from the start misunderstandings like this would never happen.

People need to understand that Nintendo left the dedicated home console space after one too many failures. The Switch is their latest handheld after 3ds, and the fact that you can use it as a home console on your TV is amazing, but doesn't negate that the whole thing is limited by having the internals of a handheld (you know, because it is one).

When you see it this correct way, the idea that the Switch Lite is somehow a different family of devices is even more absurd.
There is no reason to pigeon hole the switch into being one or the other. It is both a home console and a handheld device and whichever mode you use the most depends entirely on the user. The internals are largely irrelevant.

The Switch Lite is obviously a dedicated handheld variation of the same system and there's no reason to count them as different when discussing hardware sales.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Brought to you by PSFan - Your trust source for Fair and Balanced® video game discussion points

Last edited:

onesvenus

"There are several games you can't play on the Lite due to the functionality they removed from it." is what I wrote.

you'd have to pay an extra $100 to get that functionality back. Is that really the same console then?
Will you separate PS5 digital edition from PS5 once some PS5 games get delisted from the PS store? Both consoles won't be able to play the same games either... See how bad an argument this is?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because "console" and "handheld" are only a distinction in the anglosphere, so they running the same games, same system, same everything the same way makes them the same platform, since outside of the bubble, everyone else call gaming devices by a single label.

There's just a single difference that doesn't harm the concept, since "Switch" can also mean switching from one device to the other or whatever they take out of their arses, actually nobody care.

you ignore many warning signals :
1. referencing a Sony forum aka hivemind
2. halfassed arguments which only detract from competitors but not his own sportsteam.
3. he mad, being emotional never is a good way to start an argument
4. trying to discredit the numbers by using a questionable source on this forum
5. presenting points that aren't actual points or backed by valid reasoning

if i had used letters instead of numbers that would have been a BINGO
Yeah, you're right. My apologies for believing he was someone who could have an intellectual point behind his kooky talk.

Interfectum

Debate we were having over on PushSquare.com after they (along with countless other gaming websites) posted an article about the Switch passing the Wii and the PS1 total lifetime sales - my question is - did it really?

Why are the Switch & Switch Lite sales numbers being combined?

Because Nintendo calls the Lite a Switch? (even though it doesn't "switch" from anything).

Because they look similar?

One is a home console / handheld hybrid, the other a dedicated handheld.

One replaced the Wii U on the home console side, the other the 3DS on the handheld side.

Nintendo itself lists the Lite as a dedicated handheld on its website.

Because VGChartz says so?

VGCharts- the source of the sales figures - has a chart specific to Nintendo handhelds. The Switch Lite? Nowhere to be found.

Now before the Nintendo legions come out of the woodwork - no one is debating that the Switch is a massive success and a complete turnaround from the disaster that was the Wii U. We're debating the combining of sales of the two different types of consoles.

It would be one thing if they played the same games - but they don't. There are several games you can't play on the Lite due to the functionality they removed from it.

Had there been a single game that could be played on either the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X that you couldn't play on the base consoles - would those sales have been allowed to be combined together? I highly doubt it.

And no - it's not the same thing as Pro/Xbox One X. Those systems played 100.00000000% of the games as the base units- and they certainly didn't change form factor from home console to handheld.

If either Sony or Microsoft released a handheld today that played 99.99% of the games that the PS5 and Xbox Series did - would those sales be combined together? Not a f@%king chance!

So why does Nintendo get away with it?

Seems to me that they're allowed to get a 25-30 million bump whereas the others would not.
I guess the main question is can you point on the doll where Nintendo hurt you?

Hmm, makes one wonder. Did Sega combine the Nomad sales with the Genesis?
No, I don't think they did. The difference is far too great in that case, anyway. Adding an entire portable TV to the device and making it run off battery power is kind of significant. :p

That said, it'd still count as "the Genesis family of devices" for any combined sales totals.

Last edited:
No idea, but it ran Genesis software and could be connected to a TV, so it would make a lot of sense if they did.
Going off flimsy Wikipedia articles, Genesis total sales (before Sega stopped counting) was 30.75 million, while the Nomad was considered a failed console at " About 1 million units" sold (With such uncommited wording it's probably closer to 900k). Considering the scale and having more a rough estimate than a real amount, it'd be hard to tell if it was included because it would not have amounted to much.

The question thus becomes more "If the Nomad was a success, would Sega call it by its own platform, or simply blend it into the Genesis brand?"

Last edited:

Woopah

Switch is a product of which there are three main models, the original, the Lite and the OLED. The total sales of the product include all models, which is how Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have been calculating things for decades. There's no reason to change now.

A sale is a sale, nothing is being twisted. Plus Nintendo revealed that Switch was played by 98 million people last year,so the number of people owning multiple units is not that large.

MadPanda

Banned
Why do you guys on Sony fansite care so much a out switch sales and numbers? Because you're afraid it's going to surpass ps4 and maybe even ps2? I certainly don't care how they measure their sales, I'm not their shareholder.

No idea, but it ran Genesis software and could be connected to a TV, so it would make a lot of sense if they did.
It does make sense it’s the same family.
No, I don't think they did. The difference is far too great in that case, anyway. Adding an entire portable TV to the device and making it run off battery power is kind of significant. :p

That said, it'd still count as "the Genesis family of devices" for any combined sales totals.
Lol, I was 18 when it released and out of all the people I knew, my aunt had one and she just kept it in her vehicle with the cig lighter charger. If I was in her car for a distance I would bust it out play whatever.

spookyfish

Well, I alone have bought 6 PS4s over its lifespan:
OG Jet Black
First Destiny White (no art on it)
OG black Pro
White Pro
500 Million Pro
KH3 Pro

I only still have the White regular, the KH3 and the 500 Million, but I know I’m not the only one, so ... you would agree those PS4 numbers are inflated too, yes?

Point is, it doesn’t matter. A sale is a sale.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It I'd misleading in that some of you like to assert that it's a true console and that it's popularity isn't due to its lack of competition on the portable front. (But of course it is, imagine how many units Nintendo sells if the switch hooks to a tv only and had no screen? 10 million total?)

Last edited:

DarkTom

With your logic, Launch Xbox One with packed in Kinect should not be counted with sales of later Xbox Ones.
Same for N64 Donkey Kong 64 Bundle which have the Expansion Pak included.

As others have showed, you probably can find examples of games not working on hardware revisions , or requiring accessories (Kinect or Expansion Pak, like your 70$ Joy-con argument) for every consoles.

You made a mistake, it happens you know.

Top Bottom