• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Why Are Switch & Switch Lite Sales Being Combined?

Woopah

He's 100% correct. to think otherwise you have completely lost the plot. The switch is a handheld and always has been. it having a tv out does not change that. It's crazy how a little bit of marketing can cause some people to completely lose the ability to see something objectively for what it is.
The Lite is a handheld, while the original and OLED models are hybrids. I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

Ryu Kaiba

The Lite is a handheld, while the original and OLED models are hybrids. I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

this reeks of desperation and fanboyism.
Oh I get it! you think if it's classified as a handheld that it doesn't take the throne from Sony or something like that.
I don't give a shit about that. Nintendo can be sales king in all catagories if you want.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The Oled shouldn't be counted either if you want to break it down.

The screen and price put it in a completely category as Switch and Switch Lite.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo has three different platforms here.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
If the Switch had been correctly classified as a handheld with an awesome TV-out gimmick from the start misunderstandings like this would never happen.

People need to understand that Nintendo left the dedicated home console space after one too many failures. The Switch is their latest handheld after 3ds, and the fact that you can use it as a home console on your TV is amazing, but doesn't negate that the whole thing is limited by having the internals of a handheld (you know, because it is one).

When you see it this correct way, the idea that the Switch Lite is somehow a different family of devices is even more absurd.
The moment you put it in the dock and it outputs to the TV, it stops being a handheld. It's possible to never play it as a handheld console, or never play it as a home console. It's both, you can choose, that's the whole point of being a hybrid, whatever is on the inside means absolutely nothing.

Banned

the Lite is also a Hybrid. you can set it up on a Table and connect up to 8 controllers to it and play local multiplayer.
tell me any Handheld that can do that as a standard Feature?

the PSP go is the only One I know of that can do something similar, but not really as one would have to hold the PSP Go and use it as a controller. also only PS1 games can be played with local multiplayer

a home console does not need to be able to connect to a TV. the main differentiating factor of a home console is something that people can sit around and play together on. being portable with a screen on is not exclusive to handheld consoles

R.b80e2dccd31aaac5107a24f9f2b8df9c

this👆is not a handheld. but it has a build in display and needs no external output to work.

and just because you do this👇with your PSone, does not mean you turn it into a Handheld console either

R.a2e9878af1e91e8e86cd68163592e91f

Bragr

Banned
the Lite is also a Hybrid. you can set it up on a Table and connect up to 8 controllers to it and play local multiplayer.
tell me any Handheld that can do that as a standard Feature?

the PSP go is the only One I know of that can do something similar, but not really as one would have to hold the PSP Go and use it as a controller. also only PS1 games can be played with local multiplayer

a home console does not need to be able to connect to a TV. the main differentiating factor of a home console is something that people can sit around and play together on. being portable with a screen on is not exclusive to handheld consoles
Huh? the lite is not a hybrid, and a home console has nothing to do with people sitting around it. Where do you get this from?

Bragr

Banned
Oh I get it! you think if it's classified as a handheld that it doesn't take the throne from Sony or something like that.
It doesn't matter if it's classified as portable or not, because Switch is both.

Meaning, a Switch lite is just a part of a Switch. It's still the same unit.

Just as a non-portable Switch would have been.

Banned
Huh? the lite is not a hybrid, and a home console has nothing to do with people sitting around it. Where do you get this from?

then is the Vectrex a Home Console or a Handheld?
if you add a screen and a battery pack to the PSone (which you can do) is it now a Handheld?

define Handheld... because I would define it as a system you can take with you and is meant to only be played while holding the whole system IN YOU HANDS... hence HANDHELD... you know... as in holding it in your hands... it's literally in the name

the Switch Lite can easily be played while not being held in your hands, but instead propped up on a table with multiplayer support and controller support for up to 8 Joycons or 4 Pro Controllers. you can even use a USB-C to A dongle and connect the GameCube adapter to it and play 4 player Smash Bros on it... or 8 Player if you have even more controllers

so that is why even the Lite, IMO, is a Hybrid. you can play it holding it in your hands or you can use it exactly like a PSone with attached Screen and plunk ot down to use it with a controller and use it playing local multiplayer games where the base hardware functions exactly like the Vectrex, as in, it is basically your screen

Bragr

Banned
The Oled shouldn't be counted either if you want to break it down.

The screen and price put it in a completely category as Switch and Switch Lite.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo has three different platforms here.
That's weird, that means the DS, DS Lite, and DSI are all different systems. It's like saying 2 identical PCs with 2 different quality monitors are 2 different PCs.

Unknown?

Same console. Plays the exact same games with the exact same specs. This is like trying to say Wii U sales don't count if they play on their gamepad sometimes.
So Vita TV sells should be combined with Vita?

The Nomad sold over 30 million because it was the same system as Genesis/Mega Drive?

You'd have to have some kind of mental illness to remotely give a fuck. Why on earth does it matter to you if the chart has Switch at the top or if the sales are split? Make your own chart to jerk off to if that makes you feel better.

Oh but since you are asking it is obviously the same fucking thing dude. Just one has a dock to play on the TV. I'd recommend a walk outside.

Banned
So Vita TV sells should be combined with Vita?

The Nomad sold over 30 million because it was the same system as Genesis/Mega Drive?

the Vita TV can not play the same games as the Vita. in fact a surprisingly big fraction of the library doesn't work on it unless you hack it
but I would add the 2 sold systems to the overall sales anyways personally.

also, not the Nomad sold 30 million. THE MEGADRIVE DID, which the Nomad is part of. same system, different form factor.
Mega Drive, Mega Drive 2, Genesis 3, Mega PC... all part of the same family of systems

Last edited:

Unknown?

the Vita TV can not play the same games as the Vita. in fact a surprisingly big fraction of the library doesn't work on it unless you hack it
but I would add the 2 sold systems to the overall sales anyways personally.

also, not the Nomad sold 30 million. THE MEGADRIVE DID, which the Nomad is part of.
Neither could the PSP Go but was still considered a PSP.

As far as the Nomad the sells aren't added to the Mega Drive.

Bragr

Banned
then is the Vectrex a Home Console or a Handheld?
if you add a screen and a battery pack to the PSone (which you can do) is it now a Handheld?

define Handheld... because I would define it as a system you can take with you and is meant to only be played while holding the whole system IN YOU HANDS... hence HANDHELD... you know... as in holding it in your hands... it's literally in the name

the Switch Lite can easily be played while not being held in your hands, but instead propped up on a table with multiplayer support and controller support for up to 8 Joycons or 4 Pro Controllers. you can even use a USB-C to A dongle and connect the GameCube adapter to it and play 4 player Smash Bros on it... or 8 Player if you have even more controllers

so that is why even the Lite, IMO, is a Hybrid. you can play it holding it in your hands or you can use it exactly like a PSone with attached Screen and plunk ot down to use it with a controller and use it playing local multiplayer games where the base hardware functions exactly like the Vectrex, as in, it is basically your screen
A handheld is a system that you can move around that usually outputs a signal to a screen on the device itself. That you could play on it while it's propped up doesn't remove the portable factor. I mean, you could do the same with a smartphone, but that doesn't make it a desktop computer. People can link together DS's too, that doesn't make it a home console.

The PSone is too big. The same with the Vectrex. If they were a little bit smaller, they would likely be viewed as handheld consoles too.

A home console needs to be able to output a signal to a TV or monitor, the Switch Lite can't do that. The dock is what makes the Switch a hybrid, nothing else, if it lacks that, it's not a hybrid. That you can plant it somewhere and remove the controllers doesn't really mean anything regarding if it's a handheld or not.

The Switch Lite is a 100% handheld system.

Banned
Neither could the PSP Go but was still considered a PSP.

As far as the Nomad the sells aren't added to the Mega Drive.

the PSPgo can play every PSP game that is available on the PSN store. it is like a digital only PS5. is the digital PS5 not the same as the disc based PS5? because there are games that can not be played on the digital PS5 because there was no PSN version or the PSN version is long gone...?
so should we split them?

Last edited:

Banned
A handheld is a system that you can move around that usually outputs a signal to a screen on the device itself. That you could play on it while it's propped up doesn't remove the portable factor. I mean, you could do the same with a smartphone, but that doesn't make it a desktop computer. People can link together DS's too, that doesn't make it a home console.

The PSone is too big. The same with the Vectrex. If they were a little bit smaller, they would likely be viewed as handheld consoles too.

A home console needs to be able to output a signal to a TV or monitor, the Switch Lite can't do that. The dock is what makes the Switch a hybrid, nothing else, if it lacks that, it's not a hybrid. That you can plant it somewhere and remove the controllers doesn't really mean anything regarding if it's a handheld or not.

The Switch Lite is a 100% handheld system.

so the Vectrex is not a home console then? what is it?
last time I checked the category of systems is not called "Small Console" it is called "handheld console"
the PSone is literally smaller than the Steam Deck... what is that thing then? a Home Console? a Home PC?

categorizing something by Size or TV output capabilities is not really a good idea as there are too many exceptions to the rule here.

Categorizing BY USE CASE makes way more sense. and the use case of the Switch Lite is that of a system you can play while holding it in your hands, and play while connecting external controllers to it and play locally with others on a single system while using the system itself as the monitor to play on

the Lite has all the capabilities of a Vectrex and all the Capabilities of a Handheld. it is therefore a hybrid. unless you say the Vectrex is now a handheld... which it seems you don't.

Bragr

Banned
so the Vectrex is not a home console then? what is it?
last time I checked the category of systems is not called "Small Console" it is called "handheld console"
the PSone is literally smaller than the Steam Deck... what is that thing then? a Home Console? a Home PC?

categorizing something by Size or TV output capabilities is not really a good idea as there are too many exceptions to the rule here.

Categorizing BY USE CASE makes way more sense. and the use case of the Switch Lite is that of a system you can play while holding it in your hands, and play while connecting external controllers to it and play locally with others on a single system while using the system itself as the monitor to play on

the Lite has all the capabilities of a Vectrex and all the Capabilities of a Handheld. it is therefore a hybrid. unless you say the Vectrex is now a handheld... which it seems you don't.
You can't choose how you want to categorize things because it's what you want. It's defined. Look it up, what a video game console is was established long ago. Categorizing by size and output is what the definition is, no matter what you wish.

The Vectrex is a home console. The PSOne outputs to a TV, it's a home console. Wasn't that screen thing just an add--on?

Trying to define the Switch Lite by the fucking Vextrex from the '80s is crazy. The Switch lite does not compare to the Vectrex just because you can lay it down and it got a separate controller. The Switch Lite is a handheld with detachable controllers, that's all.

Banned
You can't choose how you want to categorize things because it's what you want. It's defined. Look it up, what a video game console is was established long ago. Categorizing by size and output is what the definition is, no matter what you wish.

The Vectrex is a home console. The PSOne outputs to a TV, it's a home console. Wasn't that screen thing just an add--on?

Trying to define the Switch Lite by the fucking Vextrex from the '80s is crazy. The Switch lite does not compare to the Vectrex just because you can lay it down and it got a separate controller. The Switch Lite is a handheld with detachable controllers, that's all.

why can't I choose how to define it? at one point some other random dude did and posted it on Wikipedia.

also when Size is a factor, the PS TV is not a console and the Steam Deck is not a Handheld. SIZE IS A USELESS FACTOR in this discussion as there is way too much overlap.

I go simply by the most logical way to define it. and that is BY THE NAME. a Handheld console is something you HOLD in your HANDS while playing. you can do that with the Switch and the Switch Lite.
but what you can also do with both of these systems is set them down on a table. use the main system as a monitor and play multiplayer with up to 8 controllers on it. EXACTLY like a Vectrex. just because the Vectrex is old doesn't mean it is disqulified from the discussion. and you now officially calld it a Home Console even tho it has no TV out, after you said a Home Console has to have a TV out... so what is it? TV Out needed or not needed for a Home Console to be a Home Console?

A home console needs to be able to output a signal to a TV or monitor, the Switch Lite can't do that.

Bragr

Banned
why can't I choose how to define it? at one point some other random dude did and posted it on Wikipedia.

also when Size is a factor, the PS TV is not a console and the Steam Deck is not a Handheld. SIZE IS A USELESS FACTOR in this discussion as there is way too much overlap.

I go simply by the most logical way to define it. and that is BY THE NAME. a Handheld console is something you HOLD in your HANDS while playing. you can do that with the Switch and the Switch Lite.
but what you can also do with both of these systems is set them down on a table. use the main system as a monitor and play multiplayer with up to 8 controllers on it. EXACTLY like a Vectrex. just because the Vectrex is old doesn't mean it is disqulified from the discussion. and you now officially calld it a Home Console even tho it has no TV out, after you said a Home Console has to have a TV out... so what is it? TV Out needed or not needed for a Home Console to be a Home Console?
Dude, the Vectrex IS a monitor. (lol)

You aren't using the Switch Lite as the monitor. The Switch Lite screen IS the Switch Lite.

If everyone were to define stuff themselves, can you imagine the bullshit we would have to endure?

Last edited:

Banned
Dude, the Vectrex IS a monitor. (lol)

You aren't using the Switch Lite as the monitor. The Switch Lite screen IS the Switch Lite.

If everyone were to define stuff themselves, can you imagine the bullshit we would have to endure?

the vectrex has a build in monitor... you can not disconnect the hardware inside of it from the screen without opening up the whole thing and disconnecting internal cables...
the Switch has a Build in monitor. what the hell is the difference? just because the Switch is using modern tech and is able to use a flat one that now is different?

also we already do the latter thing. is the Switch a Gen 8 or Gen 9 console? because logically it should be Gen 9 but you will find people online vehemently defending the stance that it is Gen 8... which, again, makes no logical sense.
definitions of things that you find on sites like Wikipedia often make no sense when you think about it critically. and I think the Switch Lite is clearly a Hybrid because the use cases of it are that of a Hybrid system.
the Switch has 1 use case more and is therefore a hybrid system with 3 use cases, while the Lite only is a Hybrid System with 2 use cases

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
the vectrex has a build in monitor... you can not disconnect the hardware inside of it from the screen without opening up the whole thing and disconnecting internal cables...
the Switch has a Build in monitor. what the hell is the difference? just because the Switch is using modern tech and is able to use a flat one that now is different?

also we already do the latter thing. is the Switch a Gen 8 or Gen 9 console? because logically it should be Gen 9 but you will find people online vehemently defending the stance that it is Gen 8... which, again, makes no logical sense.
definitions of things that you find on sites like Wikipedia often make no sense when you think about it critically. and I think the Switch Lite is clearly a Hybrid because the use cases of it are that of a Hybrid system.
the Switch has 1 use case more and is therefore a hybrid system with 3 use cases, while the Lite only is a Hybrid System with 2 use cases
The Switch doesn't have a monitor lol. Dude, just read on it, it's better to learn it that way.

It's impossible to argue for the Switch Lite being hybrid, no matter what you wished it was.

A console generation is defined by features and specs, and the Switch is very clearly in the PS4 and Xbox One gen. It makes logical sense.

Banned
The Switch doesn't have a monitor lol. Dude, just read on it, it's better to learn it that way.

It's impossible to argue for the Switch Lite being hybrid, no matter what you wished it was.

A console generation is defined by features and specs, and the Switch is very clearly in the PS4 and Xbox One gen. It makes logical sense.

ok so what is this:
be58e921ee3239e05ba2ea94e5fc92e1.webp

this is a screen that is directly connected to the board of the system. the screen and board of the system are both located INSIDE an enclosed case and can not be used separately from each other.
in order to separate the screen from the rest of the system you have to open up the WHOLE SYSTEM and detach a cable from the mother board.

tell me how this is different from the Vectrex? if you have ANY logical reason to say there is a difference then go ahead.

and if a console gen is defined by features and spec, then the PS2 has to be a different gen than the Xbox. because in terms of performance difference between the two as well as features of the hardware, the Xbox is clearly different from the PS2 and has way more modern set of features.

again, this is a bad definition since there are so many exceptions to this "rule" that it ultimately makes no sense.
what is the Wii then? is it Gen 6? it's literally a Gamecube with higher clocks and more ram.

what is the Wii U? what is the Dreamcast? just too many exceptions. it should ultimately be decided by order of release of a significant hardware revision that is not forwards compatible anymore and acts as a replacement for the old one. as in how Wii games can not run on GameCube, hence GameCube is not forwards compatible to the Wii, and therefore the Wii is a new generation.

and given that the Switch is a follow up to both a Gen 8 console as well as a gen 8 Handheld... it is clearly Gen 9

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
ok so what is this:
be58e921ee3239e05ba2ea94e5fc92e1.webp

this is a screen that is directly connected to the board of the system. the screen and board of the system are both located INSIDE an enclosed case and can not be used separately from each other.
in order to separate the screen from the rest of the system you have to open up the WHOLE SYSTEM and detach a cable from the mother board.

tell me how this is different from the Vectrex? if you have ANY logical reason to say there is a difference then go ahead.
I don't know what you are asking or what this has to do with the Switch Lite, but the Vectrex used a computer monitor that has nothing to do with handheld devices. It was an experimental device.

No handheld has ever used a PC monitor. Because they don't suit handheld gaming.

Banned
I don't know what you are asking or what this has to do with the Switch Lite, but the Vectrex used a computer monitor that has nothing to do with handheld devices. It was an experimental device.

No handheld has ever used a PC monitor. Because they don't suit handheld gaming.

the Vectrex uses a specialised vector monitor that is not a "PC monitor", where did you get that from?
and the Switch Lite also uses a "monitor" you know... otherwise you wouldn't see anything on it ;)

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Always struggled with this a bit. But in the end, the insides are the same and they play the same games. Once they break that, then we will see what happens.

And to be honest, outside of the internet and gaming forms, no one cares. Switch is a train with many sections.

Banned
No, it uses a screen.

then tell me the difference betwenn screen and monitor... what is the difference there? is my HD TV a screen? a monitor? what about the PC Monitor I am typing this on right now? what makes that a monitor and not a "screen"?

Reactions: MrA

Bragr

Banned
then tell me the difference betwenn screen and monitor... what is the difference there? is my HD TV a screen? a monitor? what about the PC Monitor I am typing this on right now? what makes that a monitor and not a "screen"?
Monitors are (usually) designed for computers. Monitors use a screen to display the image but have other specialized features built into them.

Banned
Monitors are (usually) designed for computers. Monitors use a screen to display the image but have other specialized features built into them.

then tell me what specialized features the Vectrex screen has? it's litereally a vector screen attached to the motherboard of a game console. exactly like the Switch's screen.

Bragr

Banned
then tell me what specialized features the Vectrex screen has? it's litereally a vector screen attached to the motherboard of a game console. exactly like the Switch's screen.
Are you saying that the Switch is using a vector screen? on a monitor? please say yes.

Banned
Are you saying that the Switch is using a vector screen? on a monitor? please say yes.

are you saying the type of screen makes a difference? if you do you are clearly arguing with intellectually dishonest arguments. because you know... every handheld has different screens with varying tech

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
are you saying the type of screen makes a difference? if you do you are clearly arguing with intellectually dishonest arguments. because you know... every handheld has different screens with varying tech
Am I saying the screen makes a difference? dude, you just said that the Switch's screen uses a vector screen attached to the motherboard.

Your idea is that since the Vectrex uses a monitor as a stand-alone device and it's a home console, it also means that the Switch Lite is a home console because it is similar in concept. But it's not. The Switch Lite is designed to be portable, not to stand still like Vectrex. It's like a TV Vs. an iPad.

2 different form factors, 2 different devices.

This is navel gazing of the highest degree. Only gaming forums obsess about total console sales, which are becoming more and more irrelevant. Companies themselves are looking at revenue and profit.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This is navel gazing of the highest degree. Only gaming forums obsess about total console sales, which are becoming more and more irrelevant. Companies themselves are looking at revenue and profit.
Looks like Phil did a number on you. Console sales = game sales.

I think the Switch is a fluke and undeserving of its success but Nintendo killed everyone in gaming profit and sales last year because they are selling the most consoles and the most first party games at full price. Covid obviously helped them and the shortages of the better consoles. Revenue is some bullshit thing for investors to jerk off to.

Looks like Phil did a number on you. Console sales = game sales.

I think the Switch is a fluke and undeserving of its success but Nintendo killed everyone in gaming profit and sales last year because they are selling the most consoles and the most first party games at full price. Covid obviously helped them and the shortages of the better consoles. Revenue is some bullshit thing for investors to jerk off to.
Ok, let me be clearer. If Nintendo were to release the Switch 2 tomorrow at $299 and discontinue the original Switch, it wouldn’t even reach 110M. They could still support the original with games for years to come.

If they release the successor in two, three years instead and drop the price of the Switch, it will likely reach 150+M.

The second outcome is not obviously superior. It’s just about what strategy they believe will work the best for them.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Did the PS4 , PS4 slim and PS4 pro sales get combined ? If so there is your answer

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't give a shit about that. Nintendo can be sales king in all catagories if you want.
I rarely play my switch in handheld mode. Sure sometimes I do but the vast majority of the time it’s just docked and played on my tv with a A pro controller. To me it is a home console that I have the option to play in handheld.

both instances are correct, there’s probs people that on,y play their oled in handheld and rarely on the tv.
so it’s a hybrid imo.

Omali

Debate we were having over on PushSquare.com...

What's it like having a personality that's basically affixed to a video game box like it's some kind of life support machine? Like if video games were retroactively erased from existence tomorrow, what interests/hobbies would be left behind? Genuinely curious, because I'm guessing it's not a lot. That's not something a well-balanced adult gets upset over.

In the end most gamers own more than one iteration of a console if it is a success. Many gamers will have owned a ps4 launch and pro at least. The fact people are worried about total sales is insane. Software sales are all that really matter.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In the end most gamers own more than one iteration of a console if it is a success. Many gamers will have owned a ps4 launch and pro at least. The fact people are worried about total sales is insane. Software sales are all that really matter.

exactly! I have had three switches in my house, I had 5 PS4s over its lifetime. Ive already had 2 Series X consoles and a series S.

Yes you could say those used consoles are going to someone at some point but overall hardware sales are pointless. I was literally reading a post of someone on here that had 5 or 6 PS4s including Pros.

Hardware numbers really mean jack shab!

I feel like people keep hanging up on home/handheld like it's some kind of dichotomy. Things don't have to be just one or the other, multifunction devices exist, and all devices exist on a sliding scale. The earliest "portable computers" were "portable" because they weren't hard-mounted to the floor and didn't require a crane or forklift to move.

The Switch, fundamentally, is a console. An electronic device dedicated to gaming. It's self-contained, with its own screen and battery, and small enough to comfortably move around, so it's fair to classify it as "portable". It also has extra power and functionality, including TV output, when plugged into its dedicated dock - thus allowing it to be classified as a "home console". But it's also portable, and its controllers can be attached to its body and allow it to be held while playing - making it also, potentially, a "handheld".

Neither its "home" nor its "handheld" state are absolute. At its core, the Switch is a portable console - with handheld and home console functionality options. Therefore, it's a portable handheld/home console hybrid, if you want to use a single long term.

In comparison, the Switch Lite is a handheld console - its 'handheld' form is permanent. It also, however, has portable console options, with allowing external controllers. It is not, even in options, a home console. So, it's a handheld portable console.

They both use the same hardware internally, have no software incompatibilities between them, can play the same games, and share enough features that while they're not the same, obviously, they are near enough in practice that they form the same platform, and can be combined together without unfairly misrepresenting either individual device's success.

Marvel14

Banned
Debate we were having over on PushSquare.com after they (along with countless other gaming websites) posted an article about the Switch passing the Wii and the PS1 total lifetime sales - my question is - did it really?

Why are the Switch & Switch Lite sales numbers being combined?

Because Nintendo calls the Lite a Switch? (even though it doesn't "switch" from anything).

Because they look similar?

One is a home console / handheld hybrid, the other a dedicated handheld.

One replaced the Wii U on the home console side, the other the 3DS on the handheld side.

Nintendo itself lists the Lite as a dedicated handheld on its website.

Because VGChartz says so?

VGCharts- the source of the sales figures - has a chart specific to Nintendo handhelds. The Switch Lite? Nowhere to be found.

Now before the Nintendo legions come out of the woodwork - no one is debating that the Switch is a massive success and a complete turnaround from the disaster that was the Wii U. We're debating the combining of sales of the two different types of consoles.

It would be one thing if they played the same games - but they don't. There are several games you can't play on the Lite due to the functionality they removed from it.

Had there been a single game that could be played on either the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X that you couldn't play on the base consoles - would those sales have been allowed to be combined together? I highly doubt it.

And no - it's not the same thing as Pro/Xbox One X. Those systems played 100.00000000% of the games as the base units- and they certainly didn't change form factor from home console to handheld.

If either Sony or Microsoft released a handheld today that played 99.99% of the games that the PS5 and Xbox Series did - would those sales be combined together? Not a f@%king chance!

So why does Nintendo get away with it?

Seems to me that they're allowed to get a 25-30 million bump whereas the others would not.
If you want to compare Switch with Xbox and Playstation you should not count Switch lite.

If you want to compare Nintendo with Sony and Microsoft as hardware manufacturers you should include Switch-lite.

Marvel14

Banned
what is the amount of copium needed to write dumb stuff like this?
If the Switch had been correctly classified as a handheld with an awesome TV-out gimmick from the start misunderstandings like this would never happen.

People need to understand that Nintendo left the dedicated home console space after one too many failures. The Switch is their latest handheld after 3ds, and the fact that you can use it as a home console on your TV is amazing, but doesn't negate that the whole thing is limited by having the internals of a handheld (you know, because it is one).

When you see it this correct way, the idea that the Switch Lite is somehow a different family of devices is even more absurd
Kill Me Now GIF

that's not how it works seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Last edited:
Top Bottom