• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So with Steam Deck out do think Nintendo will take there hardware seriously.

JimboJones

We've always had emulation with Nintendo handhelds I don't think it will factor in much but if handheld pcs as an overall ecosystem start growing maybe it will influence them to come up with novel ( or gimmicky depending on how well it's handled) hardware that's not easy to emulate well.

Chukhopops

Well we can already assume any Switch successor won’t be as large as Steam Deck, will have a lower price point and will target a longer battery life.

Based on that I would expect at best similar performance depending on how far in the future it is. Most likely worse performance overall.

And that’s fine, that would still give a huge gap compared to Switch hardware.

Deerock71

You Are Ross Geller GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean you guys act as if they made the switch yesterday. At the time it was pretty nice mobile tech.

Do you guys not see the absurdity here?

When the switch launched is was “ not as good as the home consoles “. Now it’s “ not as good as currently released mobile tech”

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo will want power to get third party support, it won't have anything to do with the Steam Deck.

T4keD0wN

No, the market data they have got from their customers told them they dont have to.

Also people who though switch 4k is happening years ago were delusional since 3060ti (the weakest 4k60 card at the time) uses 225w. They would have to invent some new batteries.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I mean you guys act as if they made the switch yesterday. At the time it was pretty nice mobile tech.

Do you guys not see the absurdity here?

When the switch launched is was “ not as good as the home consoles “. Now it’s “ not as good as currently released mobile tech”

But both of those statements are true. When Switch was released, Tegra X1 was already three years old. Now personally, I'm not really hung up on the power aspect of Switch since I bought if for very different reasons than I did PS5 and XSX, but if we are going to look at the tech itself then it is getting pretty old.

leo-j

If their sales drop like a rock like during the Wii/Wii u era when Sony and Microsoft came out with Kinect and ps move. Then sure they will respond. But expect a super switch with ps4 ish specs next fall. Switch sales have already started dropping yoy pretty significantly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo sells more switch’s in a week than steamdeck sells in a month, so I doubt they even know or care what a steamdeck is.
they do know. All they know about it is that it's a legal headache.

Look at how many deck videos are struck down whenever theres a switch game running on a deck

that being said they have no reason to care when their console is outdoing the deck in sales and will sell more than it ever will

Last edited:

Killer8

In terms of a direct hardware comparison, obviously Steam Deck is more powerful. But just comparing power levels overlooks a lot of other design considerations.

The Deck is larger and less portable than the Switch. The Deck's dock requires an additional purchase, whereas on Switch the dock is included in the box. The Deck uses a dogshit LCD screen, whereas Switch has had a beautiful OLED for the last couple of years. A Switch is cheaper than the base model of Deck, and drastically cheaper than the NVMe models of Deck (which most people actually want). Battery life on the Switch OLED model is minimum 4.5 hours on max brightness, while Deck can dip to as low as 1.5 on the heaviest games.

I love my Deck and my Switch, but it is clear that the Switch is the more balanced system in terms of real world usability.

MAtgS

Deck is not selling anywhere close to numbers that are threatening to Nintendo. You can't even buy it at retail.

Nop.

100% sure that the Switch 2 is going to be less powerfull than the Steam Deck.

If the Switch 2 was released at the end of 2024, that would be 3 years from the Steam Deck's release. You feel like they should be able to do at least that performance with the amount of time that has passed.

Being a hybrid and needing to build the console around portable battery will always bottleneck it in terms of performance.

Nintendo releasing a newer console well into the mid gen of the other two platforms really doesn’t guarantee them good third party support. They may get some more last gen games ported though

Do you think Nintendo will have good hardware for switch 2 or be more restrictive in there hardware to combat emulation from the steam deck?
Not a chance. They worry about it of course, but the thing for Nintendo is cost and predictability.

Meaning they will never be aggressive with clocks and they'll never overspend. If they were to release a Steam Deck of their own with the same parts it would be underclocked and have less RAM.

Because it's Nintendo, basically. Nvidia will probably give them a bit of a efficiency fighting chance with DLSS and all, they can probably match PS4 IQ rendering less resolution internally and having less Flops attached... and they'll roll with it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Steam Deck isn't going to influence Nintendo one bit other than to maybe get Nintendo to step up suing Switch ROM download sites and torrenters.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The only thing Nintendo takes seriously is making money.

So if it means cutting corners they’ll do it, because they’re not taking a loss on hardware.
I’m not even confident we’ll see Switch BC, because they’re trained their audience to expect nothing, and deal with it.

Robb

Gold Member
If they get some actual competition in the space I guess they could get forced to make competitive hardaware at some point.

Has Steam Deck even sold 3M units yet though? It’s probably not even a blip on Nintendo’s radar so I very much doubt it’ll have any influence on anything they do.

Last edited:
Can we expect the next Nintendo system to atleast be on par with the standard PS4 specs?
I'd expect it to be "semi-on par" I'd say.

Not against PS4, necessarily, perhaps better compared with Xbox One because no way they'll hit 1.8 TFlops and also employ ram with good bandwidth which are perks PS4 still has.

Not on par and not better, only almost as good and in some areas more advanced which will be needed to cover the distance in actual specs.

Where they might surpass PS4 and Xbox One is CPU, providing they don't underclock it into oblivion.

Last edited:
I'd expect it to be "semi-on par" I'd say.

Not against PS4, necessarily, perhaps better compared with Xbox One.

Not on par and not better, only almost as good and in some areas more advanced which will be needed to cover the distance in actual specs.

So kinda like wii u then. Which was similar to PS3 and 360.

Last edited:
So kinda like wii u then. Which was about on par with 360 and PS3.
Exactly. On paper it was actually worse but it was able to do some modern things "for free" which helped greatly with exclusives and rendering 1080p natively. But in direct conversions, it was crap as ram bandwidth was laughable and raw floating point capabilities were lower. Funny that Microsoft seemingly copied part of the console layout for their Xbox One console, slow DDR3 bandwidth and slapping some eDRAM to make up for it despite how shit that methodology had gone for Nintendo just before.

Wii U still managed to improve image quality over PS360 though, which I wouldn't expect against PS4.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fingers crossed.

Nintendo hardware has a real Fisher-Price energy. I know they're games are still designed for children, but that doesn't mean the hardware needs to be weak as a kitten.

Hopefully, they're Switch successor (Super Switch?) with have at least the power of 3080 GPU and 32GB of RAM. This thing needs to not only compete with the Stamdeck, but needs to blow it out of the water.

OuterLimits

You guys do remember the portable system Nintendo released before the Switch right? The Switch was a significant upgrade to the 3DS. I still can't believe I wasted money on Xenoblade for that system. My eyes still hate me for it. (Plus the regular 3DS couldn't even run the game, only the N3DS).

I get why people are anxious for Nintendo to announce plans for their next system. Lets look logically at what has occurred since the Switch released though. A massive worldwide pandemic followed by worldwide chip shortages and overall economy wide extensive supply chain issues(which we saw heavily impact Sony and Microsoft). Oh and now we have worldwide significant inflation issues.

So its really not shocking a Switch Pro didn't happen and they are probably being a bit slower to roll out their next gen system. I imagine it will be announced in the not too distant future though.

Top Bottom