• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So with Steam Deck out do think Nintendo will take there hardware seriously.

MrA

Banned
Can we expect the next Nintendo system to atleast be on par with the standard PS4 specs?
As long as they don't ridiculous underclock it, the leaked chipset puts it at about 10% below xbone portable to 15% above ps4 docked in terms of pure flops, but a more modern gpu and better cpu should let it be a nice step up, memory speed is the biggest concern
Anyway the switch 2 capabilities will have more to do with advances in low power chip sets than anything else

Moses85

Nope, it's Nintendo
You Are Right Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Nintendos answer to this question:

who-gives-shit-no-one-cares.gif

Do you think Nintendo will have good hardware for switch 2 or be more restrictive in there hardware to combat emulation from the steam deck?

Come back to this when Steam Deck announced over 1 million sales, and after that announcement still has sales momentum. Only then may Nintendo be concerned they would have to beat the next model without gimping their hardware.

Romulus

I mean you guys act as if they made the switch yesterday. At the time it was pretty nice mobile tech.

Do you guys not see the absurdity here?

When the switch launched is was “ not as good as the home consoles “. Now it’s “ not as good as currently released mobile tech”

There was no one making a real argument about the switch"not being as good home consoles" at that time. There was no comparison to be made, and that's considering the Xbox one was an aging console that wasn't even powerful at launch 4 years prior to switch.
Some technical arguments were being made between switch vs ps3 and Xbox 360. That had some merit, those were 10+ year old consoles by the time switch released though.

Never underestimate Nintendo... Never.

That's why I hesitate to suggest it would be any higher. And yeah, they would have to make a semi custom chip specifically for Nintendo. That's going to cost some money.

In somewhat related news I think there will be a Steam Deck 2 released by then which would be at least close to the Series S.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nop.

100% sure that the Switch 2 is going to be less powerfull than the Steam Deck.
The leaked specs would suggest otherwise (though of course we don't know what the final specs will be)
No, the market data they have got from their customers told them they dont have to.

Also people who though switch 4k is happening years ago were delusional since 3060ti (the weakest 4k60 card at the time) uses 225w. They would have to invent some new batteries.
People who expect Switch 4K expect it to be achieved through DLSS, not natively.

Beechos

No 1 bomba of a console will prob mean nintendo will go the way of sega, exit the hardware biz and stick with software. Anyone expecting near top of the line tech out of the switch 2 is dreaming. Even with advances in tech i doubt it will be beefier than the steamdeck for the following reasons.

Price
Battery life
Form factor

PhaseJump

Banned
Nintendo only has to come with an appealing toy, and the performance increase won't have to be much better than the Deck just to keep relevant 3rd party multi-plat ports. Nvidia's probably got a hardware platform ready to go for them.

The question for me is, what gimmick or selling point are we going to see in the next 5-10 years?
I can see Valve's side of it. Better hardware revisions. A powerful proton game console in the living room with a new deck-like controller that is stupidly easy to use.

What gimmick are we going to see? Multiple sessions on a single hub console, to feed multiple displays or devices across a house?

The leaked specs would suggest otherwise (though of course we don't know what the final specs will be)

People who expect Switch 4K expect it to be achieved through DLSS, not natively.

If the CPU ended up having 8 A78 cores... that wouldn't be so bad. It'd be better than Jaguar.

K' Dash

Fingers crossed.

Nintendo hardware has a real Fisher-Price energy. I know they're games are still designed for children, but that doesn't mean the hardware needs to be weak as a kitten.

Hopefully, they're Switch successor (Super Switch?) with have at least the power of 3080 GPU and 32GB of RAM. This thing needs to not only compete with the Stamdeck, but needs to blow it out of the water.

This take is so stupid that it made my day.

Thank you for the laughs.

PhaseJump

Banned
No steam deck is nothing like the switch.

pnzJTq3.gif

A $400 handheld game console with a touch screen that plays many of the same games available on the Switch, and can dock with TVs or monitors to output at a higher resolution... is nothing like the Switch?

OK.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Nintendo has games and marketshare, their business won't be even be touched by the Steam Deck... If it were to sell at least half as much, maybe they would talk about it in a meeting
Counter-argument (just for the sake of it):
Due to increasing financial pressures, consumers will become more sensitive to their purchases and the practices of the Big Three over the next few years. This, while at the same time most companies are feeling increasing pressure to 'adapt' to the market and squeezing revenue out of their (increasingly cash strapped) consumers.

As a result, there will be a return to 'alternative means' of procuring software/entertainment. Emulation, piracy.

Steamdeck represents the perfect nexus between consumer value (cost/perf, access to STEAM, 'PC' open platform/Linux) and 'options' (emulation, piracy). In particular if Valve doubles down on long term support of the hardware (new releases), and software (Proton, SteamOS).

Nintendo could begin to feel pressure here. After all, why pay Nintendo prices for their software and hardware if you could pay a bit more (or just as much? we'll see..) for a Steamdeck and have access to everything + 'free' Nintendo games on their current platform (Switch), and future ones due to piracy/emulation?

Even the initial conversation for something like Steamdeck 2 for the average person could be pretty simple.

"Why did you buy that handheld thing over a Switch(2)?"

"I wanted to play God of War Ragnarok plus Stellaris. Besides, it doesn't really matter. With a little work, I have my entire Switch game library on here and they're already working on a Switch 2 emulator."

"Wow, is it hard to do all this?"

"Not really. Let me show you a few youtube videos and Github links."

Regardless of whatever one may feel about piracy, it is inarguable that it will force companies to hesitate before bending consumers over the barrel. I predict we will soon see a dramatic resurgence of the practice. Steamdeck is uniquely positioned to benefit.

Last edited:

ZoolNL

With cheap Chinese handhelds delivering better quality (hall sticks and better screens by example) I do hope so, but this is not the Nintendo I grew up with…

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This take is so stupid that it made my day.

Thank you for the laughs.

Glad you got a laugh out of it, but I was being serious. Why is it a stupid take? What's wrong with Nintendo leaving the kids sandbox and aiming for the stars in terms of power?

KingT731

You guys do remember the portable system Nintendo released before the Switch right? The Switch was a significant upgrade to the 3DS. I still can't believe I wasted money on Xenoblade for that system. My eyes still hate me for it. (Plus the regular 3DS couldn't even run the game, only the N3DS).

I get why people are anxious for Nintendo to announce plans for their next system. Lets look logically at what has occurred since the Switch released though. A massive worldwide pandemic followed by worldwide chip shortages and overall economy wide extensive supply chain issues(which we saw heavily impact Sony and Microsoft). Oh and now we have worldwide significant inflation issues.

So its really not shocking a Switch Pro didn't happen and they are probably being a bit slower to roll out their next gen system. I imagine it will be announced in the not too distant future though.
The Switch was an upgrade to the 3DS but the 3DS was ALSO an underpowered POS compared to the Vita....don't even go to the PSP vs DS. They have clear pattern/history.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Counter-argument (just for the sake of it):
Due to increasing financial pressures, consumers will become more sensitive to their purchases and the practices of the Big Three over the next few years. This, while at the same time most companies are feeling increasing pressure to 'adapt' to the market and squeezing revenue out of their (increasingly cash strapped) consumers.

As a result, there will be a return to 'alternative means' of procuring software/entertainment. Emulation, piracy.

Steamdeck represents the perfect nexus between consumer value (cost/perf, access to STEAM, 'PC' open platform/Linux) and 'options' (emulation, piracy). In particular if Valve doubles down on long term support of the hardware (new releases), and software (Proton, SteamOS).

Nintendo could begin to feel pressure here. After all, why pay Nintendo prices for their software and hardware if you could pay a bit more (or just as much? we'll see..) for a Steamdeck and have access to everything + 'free' Nintendo games on whatever platform they currently have (Switch) or release in the future?
Well, that's something I can see but not on steam deck, maybe on smartphones if they become powerful AND cheap enough... One thing I could see happening is Nintendo trying to compete with specs too since everyone and their moms want to copy the switch business, if one of them gets successful enough at a competitive price, they would loose the "hybrid vanguard" in which case they should try to differentiate somehow... Steam Deck is not that machine though, not this first iteration at least

No, because...
  1. SteamDeck is an expensive niche toy for hardcore gamers
  2. SteamDeck cannot play Nintendo games
  3. Therefore, SteamDeck is not competing directly with Nintendo

T4keD0wN

Oh, so why did they claim it was going to be "switch 4k" and not "switch not 4k"?
4k switch doesnt make sense anyway, the pixel density would be insanely high, it would be a waste of resources for such a small screen

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Switch :100million units
Steam :2 million ? Not even

Yes … Nintendo is shitting bricks …..

All they need is a 1080p screen with nvidia dlss and a little more powerful APU and they have another 100 million unit

Crayon

They've established the 'worse graphics = more fun' message so solidly now. They'd be crazy to go against that and start putting any emphasis on performance.

OuterLimits

The Switch was an upgrade to the 3DS but the 3DS was ALSO an underpowered POS compared to the Vita....don't even go to the PSP vs DS. They have clear pattern/history.

They indeed do. Which makes them billions of dollars without being in a direct war with Sony/Microsoft. It is a brilliant strategy.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nintendo operates in their own world when it comes to hardware. Just be confident that they will deliver on games but lower your expectations on hardware.

Rat Rage

People like OP are missing the point. Hardware power is already at a point where it's restricting the development of games because the amount of people you need to max it out is getting ridiculous. Striving for perfect realism and endless open world games is something I don't care about, and I'm sceptical if this is the main reason why current gamers as well as new gamers like games.
I just think people enjoy good games, and that especially Nintendo has proven for decades that something like a "good (video)game" is simply not tied to hardware power.

Thabass

Nintendo take their hardware very seriously, they just don't think about you when they do it.

Also, not sure why you're comparing a 2017 hardware to a 2022 one.
Came to say this. Nintendo doesn't care if the hardware is the most cutting edge in terms of visuals. They care that their games are fun, are cost effective and, above all accessible to everyone.

No impact. Switch 2 will be more powerful but still lacking in power simply because Nintendo likes to hit a price point and battery life limit.

M16

steam deck is a niche product that 99.9% of the public doesnt even know what it is.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Remember when Xbox 360 was the leading console in the industry (before PS3 took over at the tail end)?

And that interview with Nintendo when they said they researched Xbox Live to understand how it worked during the development of the Wii U?

They didn't even know how Xbox Live worked - the leading console in the industry. This is how insular they are. Make no mistake, there are PLENTY at Nintendo not even aware of Steam Deck's existence.

If they're barely even looking at MS / Sony, then they aren't looking at this niche console.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nintendo has had the Switch 2 hardware in the works for many years now. It likely already leaked last year. Will probably be a lot like the Nvidia equivalent of the Deck.

Thread title is so ridiculous. Can’t tell if serious. Whether you like the Switch hardware or not, Nintendo clearly made good choices designing it. The reasons for that are self-evident. 3rd best-selling game system…ever? Didn’t peak til it’s 5th year on the market? 6 years on the market and not a single price cut?

Like, come up with a serious question next time.

Buggy Loop

Gonna depend on what Nvidia has in the cards. Probably depends on an upcoming shield product. Nintendo ain’t gonna custom a stupid chip to Nvidia only for them. It’ll be used in other products..

Ribi

Lol no Nintendo don't care how many times does Nintendo have to show their true colors that they will do the bare minimum for $$$

KingT731

They indeed do. Which makes them billions of dollars without being in a direct war with Sony/Microsoft. It is a brilliant strategy.
Why should I care how much money they make? I just want decent hardware for the price point but in recent history they've been way off the mark for me. That's also setting aside their console software features which are downright primitive.

TLZ

Banned
No. They aren't competing with hardware power. They compete with games and player experience.
You say that, but as a portable it's powerful I think, for when it released. Now we need a current day powerful Nintendo portable. So hopefully the Switch 2 delivers.

shiru

Banned
You say that, but as a portable it's powerful I think, for when it released. Now we need a current day powerful Nintendo portable. So hopefully the Switch 2 delivers.
Yeah, don't know what these people are talking about. A portable 360/PS3+ with 4GB of ram was plenty powerful at the time it launched.
Having these level of visuals in a handheld device back in 2017 was jaw dropping.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom