• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So with Steam Deck out do think Nintendo will take there hardware seriously.

looks at how shit their recent flagship title Pokemon game is I don't think they give two craps anymore. The thing is just left on the print money at this point.

playtillyadrop

Neo Member
.... yet the Switch OLED outsells the Deck like 100:1.

The Deck isn't remotely competitive to the Switch. The average consumer couldn't care less about the Steam Deck.
The steam deck has sold about 1 Million units. Based on your numbers you really think the Switch OLED has sold 100 million units :messenger_hushed:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
3080 is even better than Xbox Series X. You expect Nintendo to deliver a system better than Series X, in a portable form factor, at a price they're going to push on casuals to play Mario Kart? "At least"

This is embarrassing and you should feel bad. If it was power of a 1060 I'd be satisfied. The Series S is about a 1060. So imagine how plausible even a portable Series S would be for cost/engineering.

Steam Deck runs games like a base PS4. And you need PS4 Pro to match a GTX 1060. 3080 does not even enter the conversation for a portable device, much less from Nintendo.

We'll agree to disagree.

ACESHIGH

Banned
In terms of a direct hardware comparison, obviously Steam Deck is more powerful. But just comparing power levels overlooks a lot of other design considerations.

The Deck is larger and less portable than the Switch. The Deck's dock requires an additional purchase, whereas on Switch the dock is included in the box. The Deck uses a dogshit LCD screen, whereas Switch has had a beautiful OLED for the last couple of years. A Switch is cheaper than the base model of Deck, and drastically cheaper than the NVMe models of Deck (which most people actually want). Battery life on the Switch OLED model is minimum 4.5 hours on max brightness, while Deck can dip to as low as 1.5 on the heaviest games.

I love my Deck and my Switch, but it is clear that the Switch is the more balanced system in terms of real world usability.

Yep. Steam deck gives me game gear vibes. And I say that as a PC only gamer. Nintendo knows that battery life and portability trump's everything else when it comes to portables.

No because nintendo fans continue to support their half ass consoles. They have 0 reason to ever make a console with even average specs because they make a ton of money with what they sell. Gamefreak and nintendo are a match made in heaven. Both are popular beyond belife off doing the bare minimum with their most popular products.

00_Zer0

Nope. Switch 2 will likely run on the following Steam Deck iteration in no time. It might even work on the older Steam Deck. Nintendo makes garbage hardware that's easy to emulate and good games. Perfect.
I know people laugh at this but with Nintendo you can never count on Nintendo to bring legacy b/c from their older systems. Miyamoto recently stated himself that Nintendo is more about creating new experiences over worrying about legacy conten.

I am glad Nintendo systems are easy to emulate because you can't count on them to bring the past classics and current Switch classics with them.

I have a feeling that their relationship with Nvidia will eventually sour, and when that happens expect the b/c they would have with the Switch 1 and Switch 2 to go out the window. Nvidia screwed over MS first with the OG XBox, next Sony with the PS3, and mark my words shit will hit the fan when Nvidia inevitably tries to pull shady things on Nintendo sometime in the future.

Nintendo is like the Honey Badger meme. Honey Badger don't give a shit, and neither does Nintendo. They will yank that GPU contract away from Nvidia so fast disregarding backwards compatibility if they have to screwing over consumers in the process.

dacuk

Do you think Nintendo will have good hardware for switch 2 or be more restrictive in there hardware to combat emulation from the steam deck?
Nah... you can get a Switch anywhere in the world, but Valve still refuses to sell the Deck in a lot of countries.

The Steam Deck will be discontinued, just like the Steam controller and Steam Machine before it. Why would Nintendo care about a device that costs twice as much as their own? They're not targeted at the same kind of consumers.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
In terms of a direct hardware comparison, obviously Steam Deck is more powerful. But just comparing power levels overlooks a lot of other design considerations.

The Deck is larger and less portable than the Switch. The Deck's dock requires an additional purchase, whereas on Switch the dock is included in the box. The Deck uses a dogshit LCD screen, whereas Switch has had a beautiful OLED for the last couple of years. A Switch is cheaper than the base model of Deck, and drastically cheaper than the NVMe models of Deck (which most people actually want). Battery life on the Switch OLED model is minimum 4.5 hours on max brightness, while Deck can dip to as low as 1.5 on the heaviest games.

I love my Deck and my Switch, but it is clear that the Switch is the more balanced system in terms of real world usability.
Deck is more comfortable to play on, has a better game library, and better performance and visuals. Neither are classic “pocket portables” like the 3ds or GBA, not even the Switch Lite, so the portability is the same(i.e.- you’ll be carrying it in a large case or backpack).
The Steam Deck will be discontinued, just like the Steam controller and Steam Machine before it. Why would Nintendo care about a device that costs twice as much as their own? They're not targeted at the same kind of consumers.
Steam Deck 2 is already confirmed. It’s $50 more not $350 more. I can agree with the last point. Deck doesn’t exist to fulfill the same purpose as the Switch. The Deck is a means to pry PC gaming away from Windows and it’s already doing that quite effectively. This is why Valve will continue producing it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
No. They aren't competing with hardware power. They compete with games and player experience.
Agreed. Nintendo has not really attempted to compete in hardware acceleration since the N64. My take has always been that their center focus was just making fun games for a large audience.

It'd be neat to see and I appreciate Steamdeck plenty. Never thought anyone would push toward a handheld gaming PC.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Not true at all, they've sold as well as they (valve) had hoped, it's just not enough volume available to buy for Nintendo to care.

Now imagine a Steam deck 2 for $299, with an actual marketing budget, and os that actually plays more games like a console, where they actually build millions, they might actually care. But for now, not so much.

If I were Nintendo, my biggest fear would be a hybrid handheld from Sony or Ms. This would eat into thier core business, and the name recognition and exclusives would hurt them.

They do have a Switch 2 likely ready to go, probably be less powerfull than the Steam Deck but a decent upgrade over the switch.
As long as Sony and Ms stay out, and they keep an oled, maybe go 8" and improve the ergonomics a bit, it could be another big hit.
Even more so if they actually do a dlss type dock add on that takes the games to 4k for tv use. Then u have power in handheld form and on the tv. So free dock with machine runs games at 1080p, upscaling dlss dock sold separately for $199.

Interfectum

If I were Nintendo, my biggest fear would be a hybrid handheld from Sony or Ms. This would eat into thier core business, and the name recognition and exclusives would hurt them.
As long as Nintendo continues to release portable hardware and revisions of their games, they really don't have much to worry about, especially from MS and Sony. Nintendo's biggest threat is something like the Meta Quest and I have no doubt they'll be dipping their toes into portable VR at some point in the next decade.

Last edited:
Would hope Nintendo puts out a regular boxed console again someday (Xbox Series S Style). More powerful and don’t need to use joycons anymore. But that may not happen for a long long time. 🙁

Xellos

Nintendo usually put out good hardware, they just prioritize things like price, controllers and form factor over performance. Only hardware where I think they made multiple major missteps is Wii U.

Switch 2 will likely be good hardware. Even if clocks are low, just moving to newer ARM CPU, Ampere GPU and lpddr5 will provide significant improvements.

Codes 208

looks at how shit their recent flagship title Pokemon game is I don't think they give two craps anymore. The thing is just left on the print money at this point.
Pokemon isnt made by nintendo, only published. Meanwhile *actual* nintendo games like botw, xenoblade chronicles 3, luigis mansion 3, and mario odyssey look phenomenal comparatively.

Mowcno

Nintendo won't take any notice of the steam deck and don't need to.

And yes their hardware will be weak again.

Sorcerer

Nintendo has no worries. Come out with Mario, a Zelda, a promise of a new Metroid, that will never come, that's all that is needed. Why kill themselves with high priced tech? Stay behind and win.

Last edited:

tusharngf

even if they release gamecube like console with zelda they can sell millions of units. Its all about quality games.

AmuroChan

No, they have two different target audiences. I have both. The Switch is mainly for my kids, and I mostly use the Steam Deck.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Have you noticed how the more underpowered Nintendo's hardware is, the more successful they are?

I think that probably is because it forces them to out do themselves in other areas to shoot up the value. Software and innovation, also marketing. It pushes them to try harder where it really matters.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Nintendo...

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Tg89

Nintendo hardware is pretty fine. Switch, for 2017 tech is solid. They just aren't prioritizing power, they're trying to hit what they think is a sweet spot between mobile performance and price - and based on the results, they did.

I like powerful hardware as much as the next, if it was up to me I'd play everything on my PC, but there's plenty of great games on the Switch that did just fine on the hardware provided.

If anything, I'd want them to hit a similar power level (for whatever year it comes out) and price point with improvements on the OS side of things.

They should, but they won't. Nintendo devs being so talented is actually a problem. Just look at Metroid Prime Remaster running at 900p 60fps on a system that is about 25% as powerful as the Xbox One. Could you imagine what Nintendo could do if they had a system as powerful as the Xbox One, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Bragr

Banned
Do you know how much money Valve is losing producing the deck? It's a lot.

Nintendo will never build machines like that.

Woopah

They should, but they won't. Nintendo devs being so talented is actually a problem. Just look at Metroid Prime Remaster running at 900p 60fps on a system that is about 25% as powerful as the Xbox One. Could you imagine what Nintendo could do if they had a system as powerful as the Xbox One, as ridiculous as that sounds.
We'll have a Nintendo system more powerful than the Xbox One within the next two years.

Nintendo has no worries. Come out with Mario, a Zelda, a promise of a new Metroid, that will never come, that's all that is needed. Why kill themselves with high priced tech? Stay behind and win.
Yeah just re re re re re release 30 year old games.... Nintendo fans will always buy their games again and again and again and again and again.

I believe it's how their brains are wired so yeah they are not the same target market as people who are looking to have a machine that can play every single game ever made(FOREVER).

Top Bottom