• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft hype for Diablo 2: Resurrected - let the word be known

Tschumi

d1huq5n-2e1c5f41-7806-4c45-95e7-c26c2d1abea4.gif
It occurs to me that someone could conceivably be approaching their 30s at this point without ever really having experienced D2 in its heyday, or perhaps having passed it over for more technologically impressive games without knowing any better. It also occurs to me that different people got different things from it - some lived for the multiplayer, some valued the story, artwork, whatever.

d2197c5fa64a349827cd72be78917345_w200.gif

I'm asking Diablo 2 vets to talk this game up.

Please share your own takes on what is special about this game.

Why are you hyped?

diablo 3 ii GIF

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I remember enjoying it at the time, but it's been so long. I barely remember much about that game. Other than liking it. Looking forward to returning to the world. But, I expect it will feel like a step back from some of the quality of life and changes in Diablo 3.

Tschumi

For my money, the thing i most appreciated about Diablo 2 was its gothic horror atmosphere, created by a disregard for the PG and a highly detailed approach to graphics. The sodden Highlands you start in are pretty boring in comparison to the mummy- and maggot-infested deserts, the pygmy demon infested jungles full of abandoned temples, and more.. the game was dripping with a sense of alluring horror. It matched the types of enemies and cinematics wonderfully. Diablo 3 toned all this stuff down on basically every front.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Is it better to play it using a controller or M+KB?
For me it could only be m+kb but i guess they'll import the d3 controller support and plenty of people like it.

I remember enjoying it at the time, but it's been so long. I barely remember much about that game. Other than liking it. Looking forward to returning to the world. But, I expect it will feel like a step back from some of the quality of life and changes in Diablo 3.
Qol is overrated :p in general d3 felt diluted, for me at least.

Rikkori

I look forward to giving it a go once I feel the need for a nostalgia trip but truthfully after Path of Exile it's very hard to play other ARPGs anymore, at least for more than just a few hours. The advantage for D2 remains that it still has actual melee & magic feeling differently than the projectile-gore of PoE which is very samey, and of course the atmosphere is incredible in D2. Though even saying that about PoE, they also started tripping over themselves and messing up their own game, so it's good to have a more fixed experience like D2 always available rather than live-service.

MadPanda

Banned
I'd be hyped it it weren't priced at $60 for a remaster.

I played diablo 2 extensively back in the day and I've always hated those little monsters in the desert which release electricity when hit. Maybe it will be easier this time? Anyway, I'll probably play it someday, but not going to rush day one.

Bragr

Banned
What a fuck is going on with Blizzard, they are only doing remasters and un-inspired sequels. They already remastered Warcraft 3, and now they are gonna start to bleed Diablo 2 for cheap profits? how about making Warcraft 3, WOW 2, hell, even a new StarCraft, it's already been 10 years since 2. That studio is a complete mess.

Saber

Gold Member
Nah...I'm very cautious. For all I know they could implement some unnecessary bullshit and ruin the game for good.

I still have my original here in any case though.

I can't recall whose vid I saw this on but people claim the new controller setup is infact better than M+KB.
So I am guessing answer is both works amazing.

edit: Skillup

Well he is wrong. There are plenty of skills in the game that work based on where the mouse pointer is on screen. Since there is no equivalent of a mouse pointer for controllers, those skills arent as effective and as a result certain builds are far less effective or straight up dont even work using a controller.

Personal taste, but for me, Diablo is one of the very rare examples of controller absolutely being the preferable way to play.

This was certainly true for D3, so no reason why it shouldn’t be the case here.
Taste is definitely part of it, but it also depends on the kind of build you want to play. Anything relying on targeted skills and spells is going to be an issue on a controller, especially if you're aiming for something other than the closest enemy in front of you. It's not unplayable, but it felt imprecise and annoying enough to make me ditch Witch Doctor in favor of another class when I played on PS4.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Can't wait.

I loved to play endless hours with friends on LAN parties when we where younger.
The core gameplay is just addicting. I also like the darker tone much more compared to Diablo 3.

Does anyone know if there will be couch co op in this one? It just said 8 player co op in the trailer.

Con-Z-epT

I'd be hyped it it weren't priced at $60 for a remaster.

I played diablo 2 extensively back in the day and I've always hated those little monsters in the desert which release electricity when hit. Maybe it will be easier this time? Anyway, I'll probably play it someday, but not going to rush day one.
39,99€ / 39,99$

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played through this again a few months ago using a 21:9 ultrawide hack. Game holds up really well and was still as good as I remembered.

I'm assuming the Xbox version has controller support (duh) but have they said anything about local couch co-op / split screen? My wife and I have played through Diablo 3 on consoles 4-5 times now, would love to add this to our regular rotation.

Either way, DIABLO II VET HERE and I'm picking this up.

Moonjt9

I have vivid memories of playing this at my grandparents house in high school, being absolutely addicted to it. And I never once played multiplayer. It’s the best action rpg looter of all time easily and I can’t wait to see how the atmosphere is translated to newer technology. Literally in the top ten for best games ever made.

megamerican

Diablo 2 was my favorite game of all time. But it was two decades ago. Since then Blizzard has fallen in my esteem, and I'm not impressed with some of the tweaks they are making.

It's also a sad reminder of what Blizzard used to be in a way.

JSoup

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I saw somewhere after E3 that it's 59,99.
That's a decent price.

It's $60 for a bundle that also comes with D3.
What interests me is Blizzard has been pushing cross-play for a couple months. Wonder if that means my D3 characters could be accessible on the PSN version eventually.

Con-Z-epT

...but have they said anything about local couch co-op / split screen? My wife and I have played through Diablo 3 on consoles 4-5 times now, would love to add this to our regular rotation.
I looked online and sadly no couch co-op.

From the article:

Does Diablo 2 Resurrected Have Co-op?​

Diablo 2 Resurrected will be playable in co-op. It will feature online co-op for up to eight people, which is great news for those wanting to play with friends on different consoles or PCs. However, it will not feature couch co-op. This is slightly disappointing considering Diablo 3 was one of the best couch co-op games of the last console generation, but at least we have the option to play with friends online.

ahtlas7

I’m mildly aroused for it but honestly Blizzard could do more to peak my interest. Maybe let me play with their beta...

Tschumi

I have vivid memories of playing this at my grandparents house in high school, being absolutely addicted to it. And I never once played multiplayer. It’s the best action rpg looter of all time easily and I can’t wait to see how the atmosphere is translated to newer technology. Literally in the top ten for best games ever made.
I also think i only tried multiplayer once or twice and didn't like it as much as taking my time

DavidGzz

I grew up on D1 and D2 and am excited but would have been even more excited if there were some changes to balance. I want a Zealadin to be as or almost as strong as the more boring Hammerdin for example. I look forward to experiencing this classic with the graphics and sound enhancements for sure. Just not sure how long I can play once the new sheen wears off since I've played for thousands of hours already. Maybe D4 will come by next Nov.('22) and I won't have to keep playing D2 and 3 for years and years.

HTK

Banned
I prefer using the Controller ever since it's introduction on D3. They did such a great job with the controller it's the only way I'll play it.

I can't wait to play D2 again after all this time on my OLED it's one of my most anticipated games this year. Can't wait.

Top Bottom