• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft hype for Diablo 2: Resurrected - let the word be known

I've never played a Diablo game. I could start a new thread to ask this question but I figure the people who know the answer will be in this thread anyway...

Wanted to start playing through the Diablo series with a friend, treating it as a series of co-op campaigns. But then I learned that D1 doesn't really have a traditional co-op campaign experience, you just save your character progression and there are only a couple quests in Multiplayer. Is D2 (the original, not Resurrected) a more traditional co-op experience? I want to play through a Diablo game with a friend and get the Diablo story/vibe and have both character progression and quest progress saved.

Tschumi

I've never played a Diablo game. I could start a new thread to ask this question but I figure the people who know the answer will be in this thread anyway...

Wanted to start playing through the Diablo series with a friend, treating it as a series of co-op campaigns. But then I learned that D1 doesn't really have a traditional co-op campaign experience, you just save your character progression and there are only a couple quests in Multiplayer. Is D2 (the original, not Resurrected) a more traditional co-op experience? I want to play through a Diablo game with a friend and get the Diablo story/vibe and have both character progression and quest progress saved.
That's very interesting..

It never occurred to me that Diablo is a series that, would reward you for playing the games in order..

I think, if you're with your friend in person then switching every time you die might be the best approach? For d1...

Apparently you can online co-op Dungeon Siege and i seriously freaking recommend that

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I would say it holds up very well, especially with 60 fps now. why don't you try out the open beta to check if you like it.
oh and get well soon, brother.
Rhanks man and don't worry I'velived through worse than chemo.I will try the open beta hoping I will like it as much as D3.

I_D

Alright guys I'm interested about this game but can you tell me if it holds up well for someone that has just played d3 and its extension ?
I say that because I never player an other opus and have no rose tinted glass for the franchise.
Sorry if I mistyped some words I'm being injected chemo right now and feel a bit dizzy.

Coming from a person who has numerous max-level characters from numerous ladders in Diablo 3, it's not even remotely close to the quality of Diablo 2. D3 is a downgrade in almost every aspect of the game, other than graphics (which is arguable).

That being said, there are some QoL things in D2 that can be tough to get used to, but nothing you can't handle after an hour or two of playing.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Coming from a person who has numerous max-level characters from numerous ladders in Diablo 3, it's not even remotely close to the quality of Diablo 2. D3 is a downgrade in almost every aspect of the game, other than graphics (which is arguable).

That being said, there are some QoL things in D2 that can be tough to get used to, but nothing you can't handle after an hour or two of playing.
That's really nice to hear, can you elaborate about those quality of life missing?
I have a max levelled character of every class in D3 and my most favourites were Crusader (I'm trying to translate here maybe they have anther name in english) and the barbarian.

I_D

That's really nice to hear, can you elaborate about those quality of life missing?
I have a max levelled character of every class in D3 and my most favourites were Crusader (I'm trying to translate here maybe they have anther name in english) and the barbarian.

It's just random stuff. Back in the day, it was totally fine, but QoL has moved on since then. It's kinda like comparing a 2005 website to a website from today: They're both able to get the job done, but one is more streamlined than the other.

Diablo 2 has a stamina system, for example. It doesn't really do anything at all, other than force you to move slowly from time to time. And it is completely negligible at higher levels, so it's mostly just a punishment for starting characters.

Diablo 2 also has hidden stat points, damage modifiers, movement speeds, blocking rates, etc. There used to be (and will be renewed, I'm sure) entire websites devoted to actually-accurate calculators to figure out which stats you actually have. And the math is so complicated that I don't think any of them ever got everything 100% correct.

Diablo 2 has certain buffs/debuffs that show absolutely no visible indicator anywhere in the game, other than your character behaving oddly. I'm not sure if the remaster has fixed this issue, as it doesn't really come into play until Hell difficulty.

None of these are game-breaking. I would argue, actually, that they're mostly game-enhancing. It would be nice if the information regarding them was more readily available in the game, though. Thus, QoL is a bit lacking.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Bit slack teaser lol the final hold shot of his face with zero animation broke immersion for me ...

... Like the idea of being of similar size to the prime evils...
Haven't played the beta but i'm so ready for the release. At this point any trailer gets me hyped.

Tschumi

Haven't played the beta but i'm so ready for the release. At this point any trailer gets me hyped.
I've played the beta, i won't spoil it for you but i know that i couldn't stop playing it until they closed it again.. it'll be a good chance for me to complete the game with a different character to past runs, so that means druid or assassin for me

Griffon

I'll wait a few months to get it, maybe next year. No rush. We all already know the game.

FF14 is what got all my attention right now.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I've played the beta, i won't spoil it for you but i know that i couldn't stop playing it until they closed it again.. it'll be a good chance for me to complete the game with a different character to past runs, so that means druid or assassin for me
I read the complete beta thread and played the original to an unhealthy extent. I'm just counting the days. Luckily i took 3 weeks off from work which fall exactly into place with the release. Didn't even knew when i took it.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Amazon with witchwild string is pure 👌👌👌

With a 40/15 and Nef Rune, maybe?
I remember when the king used to be a Perfect Windforce with a 40/15. Then came Eth BOTD Hydra. Now? I have no clue. It'll be nice to experience everything again, with better graphics.

I'm going Java, but might go Hybrid later, with the respec option. Toward the end of my insane time spent with D2, I stopped using Bowazons and went with Javazons, after neglecting them since the beginning.

Tomeru

With a 40/15 and Nef Rune, maybe?
I remember when the king used to be a Perfect Windforce with a 40/15. Then came Eth BOTD Hydra. Now? I have no clue. It'll be nice to experience everything again, with better graphics.

I'm going Java, but might go Hybrid later, with the respec option. Toward the end of my insane time spent with D2, I stopped using Bowazons and went with Javazons, after neglecting them since the beginning.
2 shaels for starters. 40/15 wont come easy 😣

I read the complete beta thread and played the original to an unhealthy extent. I'm just counting the days. Luckily i took 3 weeks off from work which fall exactly into place with the release. Didn't even knew when i took it.

I'm just playing the original Diablo with the Beelzebub mod and i am hyped for Resurrected.

tr1p1ex

Not feeling it. I played it more than enough back in the day. Feels too time consuming to go through the whole loot and upgrade thing again.

My track record of replaying old games is pretty poor.

good times though. in my mind there are few really great games over the years that stand the test of time and are really seminal type games and this was one of those.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
2 shaels for starters. 40/15 wont come easy 😣

Part of the reason why I went Javazon was because the market within D2 corrected itself and more than half of them were deleted. So Javazon relied less on dupes for common build. (40/15 was a big dupe, but I had some legit ones)

niilokin

what a great trailer... makes me shudder to think that there surely was someone pitching a pop song cover with lazy woman vocals in the team for this trailer. and bass drops.

Vagswarm

Definitely ready to play this game. Had a lot of fun with the little I played of the beta. Got way too hyped when it originally released and burned out early, lol. Spent more time reading about it (pre-release) than actually playing it!

Last edited:

MikeM

I am hyped. I just want to know which will perform better- PS5 or Series X? I'll buy on whatever plays the best.

Top Bottom