• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft hype for Diablo 2: Resurrected - let the word be known

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Diablo 2 Resurrected will be playable in co-op. It will feature online co-op for up to eight people, which is great news for those wanting to play with friends on different consoles or PCs. However, it will not feature couch co-op. This is slightly disappointing considering Diablo 3 was one of the best couch co-op games of the last console generation, but at least we have the option to play with friends online.
Thanks for checking into that for me. As much as I love this game, pre-order cancelled. I might pick it up in a few years when I feel like doing another solo run. They'd have to pay me to want to play this online.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Thanks for checking into that for me. As much as I love this game, pre-order cancelled. I might pick it up in a few years when I feel like doing another solo run. They'd have to pay me to want to play this online.
It really hurts, doesn't it. So much potential.

Is it to much to ask to integrate an couch co-op mode or is it to difficulty to program something into the game?
Maybe they don't care but i won't believe that since they cared to remaster it.

I don't get it.

Tschumi

It really hurts, doesn't it. So much potential.

Is it to much to ask to integrate an couch co-op mode or is it to difficulty to program something into the game?
Maybe they don't care but i won't believe that since they cared to remaster it.

I don't get it.
This would have killed it for me too if i had anyone to play it on the couch with

the simpsons GIF

Seriously though the main reason it isn't a deal breaker for me is that I'm always a solo in D2.. at least i will be until I've completed it with each class, and if i haven't done that since 2000 i probably won't!

I remember really enjoying Diablo 2 all those years ago near release playing on the family PC. But I don't remember dedicating a ton of time to it like I did with my console games of the era. I think if I would have had buddies that also played it on PC I would have probably spent more time with it. I played through Diablo 3 again around November last year and had a great time running through that with a buddy though which kind of reignited my interest in the genre.

If I'm being honest with myself, the only thing I remember from back then about Diablo 2 was the music. The AMAZING music. That Town theme is still great to this day. I AM really looking forward to playing the D2:Resurrected though and my wife and I are planning to pick it up and give it a go. I think it looks fantastic and am excited to see how it's aged. I just hope it gets much better treatment than Blizzard's last "Remaster" effort in Warcraft 3.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

This would have killed it for me too if i had anyone to play it on the couch with

the simpsons GIF

Seriously though the main reason it isn't a deal breaker for me is that I'm always a solo in D2.. at least i will be until I've completed it with each class, and if i haven't done that since 2000 i probably won't!
I really don't mind to play it solo or online but to play with a friend or my girlfriend on the couch was such a great thing with D3 that it's sure a missed opportunity.

We don't have enough games of this calibre to begin with when it comes to couch co-op.

Where is the petition to sign?!

Tschumi

. I just hope it gets much better treatment than Blizzards last "Remaster" effort in Warcraft 3.
This is becoming a steadily more worrying thought in the back of my mind as i steadily float back forward, through the years, from my nostalgia fueled hype vision quest, to the present day..

It's a legendary game of its time. Competition nowadays utterly destroy it but as a complete package for people wanting to get in the genre it s an all time classic
What is best game in this genre right now, I’ve only played Diablo 3 (and liked it very much despite the hacks)?

Last edited:
This is becoming a steadily more worrying thought in the back of my mind as i steadily float back forward, through the years, from my nostalgia fueled hype vision quest, to the present day..
It's easier and easier to let rose-tinted nostalgia memories color ones perception of what's really being show sometimes. I do think that this looks good though and is about what I want in a remaster. Really like how you can toggle between the update and the original as it really shows you how much better it looks. Let's just hope for the best but not turn a blind eye to what's actually shown.

What is best game in this genre right now, I’ve only played Diablo 3 (and liked it very much despite the hacks)?

I'd be curious about this too? I know Path of Exile is a big one that people mention, but if I played it, I don't think I spent more than an hour doing so, but I remember on it's release people talked about it a lot.

Last edited:

amigastar

I'm only playing Diablo 2 with Eastern Sun mod so i'm not that hyped for Resurrected. The mod has bigger inventory, better items affixes and special harder locations which takes the game imo a step further.

Last edited:

Tschumi

It's easier and easier to let rose-tinted nostalgia memories color ones perception of what's really being show sometimes. I do think that this looks good though and is about what I want in a remaster. Really like how you can toggle between the update and the original as it really shows you how much better it looks. Let's just hope for the best but not turn a blind eye to what's actually shown.
If it really is just a coat of paint and perhaps refreshed interface I'm all in.

It's kind of in a genre of its own, also heard about Path of Exile.. if you're into retro games i think dungeon siege is a really great riff on the genre - linear and pre-constructed, but epic nonetheless with a larger party and without loading scenes across a very long adventure.

Last edited:

NT80

I would really like some updates to the balance of the game. More build viability and less dependence on super rare equipment. That would make this release a lot more interesting.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
4Khours in D2 (come at me eat hunting Nef stealing ladder bros).
Pre ordered D2R on switch pc and Ps5.

Why it tickles my dopamine addicted brain:

Loot hunting
Class building (connected to the loot obv)
Variety of classes with great balance between them (well…mostly balanced. Looking at you ASSassian)

Love(d) the game and I love D3. So…if you got time to kill before 9/23/21 def spend some time playing D3.

DavidGzz

I prefer using the Controller ever since it's introduction on D3. They did such a great job with the controller it's the only way I'll play it.

I can't wait to play D2 again after all this time on my OLED it's one of my most anticipated games this year. Can't wait.

Yeah, I plan to do controller for combat and mouse and kb for menus/inventory.

Reactions: HTK

Lux R7

To me, Diablo 2 is a perfect game.
It has flaws like everything else (very few) but the gameplay loop is absolute perfection. Itemization is perfect. Atmosphere? Perfect. Art? Perfect. Music? Perfect.
One of the best games of all time imho. I played Resurrected and it is the same game, just prettier and with some quality of life addons.
Can't wait, Resurrected will save my soul until Elden Ring.

Reactions: MrS

Paulxo87

This game was literally a "period of my life" back in 2002-2004.

I feel like unless you played it back in it's hey day you won't be able to truly appreciate this remaster.

I can't fucking wait for this on ps5. In 4k60 glory - shit.

They really fucking nailed this remaster big time it's perfect

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I looked around online and it seems that there will be no crossplay at the release of the game.

Does this mean that there is no possibility to play with friends between PS5 and PS4?

iJudged

Banned
Diablo II vet here as well, why? Because I get to play one of the greatest games I have ever played growing up, and guess what? It is going to feel like a brand new fucking game ALL OVER AGAIN, omgggg the hype is unlimited

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I got Diablo 2 back before we even had the internet at my house.
Needless to say, at the time, I didn't understand the fuss.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Only Diablo I ever played was part III, and it was a lot of fun.

This looks like a step back in a lot of ways. I guess I need to read up on why everyone loves it so much.

Hydelol

Banned
If mods like Project Diablo will not be working with it, I don't see me playing it. Don't get me wrong, I love D2 and have been playing it regularly but some balance changes from these mods just showed how bad some parts of D2 are.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We need patch notes! :messenger_winking:

Can't remember what was special.
1.10 was when they brought out all the uber stuff, changed everything in Hell with enemies and bosses, and basically made all the builds shit where you had to almost start from scratch. Years of work turned upside down. Made one of the best parts of a the game (power leveling) a pain in the arse. Not sure if people found new workarounds, but did not stick around much since I was starting to lose interest anyhow after how addictive the game was to me.

1.09 was also the great SOJ economy. I had over 80 of them, lol.

DavidGzz

Only Diablo I ever played was part III, and it was a lot of fun.

This looks like a step back in a lot of ways. I guess I need to read up on why everyone loves it so much.

It is. Combat, the potion system, and the lack of end game content to name a few. I don't do PvP so endless boss runs are fun for only so long. It will be fun for a while but I hope D4 doesn't take too much longer.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

1.10 was when they brought out all the uber stuff, changed everything in Hell with enemies and bosses, and basically made all the builds shit where you had to almost start from scratch. Years of work turned upside down. Made one of the best parts of a the game (power leveling) a pain in the arse. Not sure if people found new workarounds, but did not stick around much since I was starting to lose interest anyhow after how addictive the game was to me.

1.09 was also the great SOJ economy. I had over 80 of them, lol.
Wow you realy did post patch notes. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thanks!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m excited. I played it on my first laptop from ITT Tech back in the day. I always heard stories about how great it was before I bought it. I told my boss who plays WoW a lot and he isn’t excited at all. The main reason was because he already played it. With all do respect it’s a great game, but I’m sorta in that boat where I played it before. It won’t hurt me if I play it later. I’m a bit upset at no local coop. Makes it not exactly family friendly unless you have multiple consoles and Plus accounts. I had the Battle Chest and the Battle.net version. It’s awesome and Diablo fans should definitely play it. I just wish it was out, I don’t know, years ago?

DavidGzz

I'm excited for the shared stash. One reason I always quit is that you had to create a game on B.Net, wait around for 5 plus minutes and then switch to another character and pick up what the first character dropped. Then you wouldn't play for 3 months and come back to your account being closed. Now, I can just play offline and trade items with my other characters in the shared stash. Since D2 doesn't have smart loot, this is a must.

Last edited:

HF2014

Hype to play it but there is two thing:

- I want a physical edition for Switch
- Speaking of Switch, is there confirmation that online multiplayer will be 8 players? Saw a thread pop up and saw 4 players only.

radewagon

I loved Diablo 1 and 2 though the gameplay was very much an acquired taste and still very much not my wheel house. I think I probably only played them because I was a Mac user back then and pickins were slim. I was really excited when I heard Diablo was getting a modern release yet I still haven't played it. And I'm excited about the Diablo II rerelease, but in all honesty, I probably won't play that one either. The endless loot grind of D2 was fun for it's time, but I think the real draw of the series, for me, was the dark medieval fantasy setting. My need for that type of setting has been more than satiated by the Souls-type games that thankfully come with gameplay that I find infinitely more enjoyable.

So, yeah, I'm probably going to skip it. I loved Diablo II back in its day, but I don't see myself going back to pointy clicky traversal/attack when I have alternatives.

Blond

Banned
My soft hype comes from Necromancer balance. It was useless end game in 2 but after 3 pretty much made him a monster from level 2 upwards my wanting to return to this depends entirely on that.

Tschumi

I loved Diablo 1 and 2 though the gameplay was very much an acquired taste and still very much not my wheel house. I think I probably only played them because I was a Mac user back then and pickins were slim. I was really excited when I heard Diablo was getting a modern release yet I still haven't played it. And I'm excited about the Diablo II rerelease, but in all honesty, I probably won't play that one either. The endless loot grind of D2 was fun for it's time, but I think the real draw of the series, for me, was the dark medieval fantasy setting. My need for that type of setting has been more than satiated by the Souls-type games that thankfully come with gameplay that I find infinitely more enjoyable.

So, yeah, I'm probably going to skip it. I loved Diablo II back in its day, but I don't see myself going back to pointy clicky traversal/attack when I have alternatives.
Thanks a ton for your thoughtful feedback!

I'm purely playing this game for super sharp takes on the delicious Gothic horror settings and monsters, personally.

Top Bottom