• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft hype for Diablo 2: Resurrected - let the word be known

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I got into this style of game much later; in the last 3 years.. but it's currently my favorite genre. Spend many weekends engulfed in Grim Dawn.

I'll check this out but I have FEELING it's going to be a bit too old school for me.

Great looking release though.

Pre-ordered on PS5 earlier this week. I'll do the same on Switch. One of my most wanted games this year along with WarioWare, Ace Attorney, Flight Sim and Metroid.
Wait it's coming to switch? May be getting 2 copies one pc and one for switch. That's awesome.

Tg89

Greatest game of all time. Still playing to this day via Plugy/D2SE, trying to complete the holy grail prior to the release of Ressurected where I’ll do it again.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
So it's not taking any advantage of series X.
Only what was available on One X.
Got it.
Apparently its only 1080p on series X... i wasnt aware, but it seems to be the case and google doesnt show they fixed it Yet... people are raging mad about this.

I spent a good 300 hours on xbox one x with diablo3, another 150hrs on ps4 and about 100hours at launch on PC. Ive had my fill so havnt fired it on up on the Series X yet.

for me, d3 ultimate is an awesome game. Might not be the popular opinion but blizzard totally redeem themselves from the shit drop, real money auction house nightmare that was Diablo 3 at launch.

edit: ps5 bc seems to have no complaints i might fire that up today.

Last edited:

Calverz

But its not apparently... its only 1080p on Series X... and still not patched.
Series x plays Xbox one x enhanced patches. Therefore, vis a vis, the series x is running the dynamic 4K code, meaning, it’s running at max res all the time.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Expanded and shared storage is a good upgrade.

Now just give me ubers and ladder only runes in singleplayer and we’re good.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I remember I used to drop a town portal somewhat close to a fast travel location and tell someone to use it. Then I’d teleport back to the town, turn hostile, use the fast travel, and kill them before they even knew WTF was happening.

I enjoyed collecting ears of people who had stupid names like KoRnKiD_x666x

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I am cautiously hyped. Its one of my most played games as a teen, but I fear the missing QOL and current people'simd will destroy it.

-Spamming potions and putting them into belts feels dated.
-Only having two active skillslots (unless you use controller) is outdated. That there is a fix for it with a controller seems dumb.
-people killing the shit out of you and steal your loot.
Yeah some people did it back then but was rare. I'm sure this CoD and Halo generation are gonna KoS and steal your gear.

Tschumi

Just got home to play D2:R and it turns out the early access beta ended... Lame! Didn't even get to the countess!

Anyone else play beta? Thoughts?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I am holding out to by the D2 remake.....I want to be able to play offline but I just don't think that is going to happen on the PC. I will look in and see after launch.

killatopak

Gold Member
Haven’t played the Beta but based on what I’ve watched and heard from Llama, it seems pretty buggy still and they’ve only scratched 5 characters and 2 acts. This is one month out from release so I’m pretty concerned how this turns out at release. Also with there being no ladder at release, it seems much easier for me to wait it out.

Tschumi

Haven’t played the Beta but based on what I’ve watched and heard from Llama, it seems pretty buggy still and they’ve only scratched 5 characters and 2 acts. This is one month out from release so I’m pretty concerned how this turns out at release. Also with there being no ladder at release, it seems much easier for me to wait it out.
I've been playing it, a few bugs yeah but nothing awful... Not having all the characters was a shame yeah.. hope they don't repeat what they did with D3 and gate the necromancer...
I was enjoying it for the most part, my only complaint was how it was so faithful that it felt like an overpriced reskin.. wtb autosort inventory a la Dungeon Siege, and maybe one or two expanded effects, rather than just improved effects

Last edited:

GametimeUK

What is the end game like? Are there seasons like Diablo 3? Is it just a bunch of rifts etc? Not gonna lie, I found the endgame gameplay loop a bit repetitive and boring on Diablo 3 although I do enjoy playing through the campaign.

Tschumi

What is the end game like? Are there seasons like Diablo 3? Is it just a bunch of rifts etc? Not gonna lie, I found the endgame gameplay loop a bit repetitive and boring on Diablo 3 although I do enjoy playing through the campaign.
I didn't do much multiplayer, i think it's more about hoarding loot and selling it for cash money but i could be completely off base with that.. also i think that real money shop won't be making a repeat appearance

Approaching 26.. never got into PC gaming, and I was a pup when D2 came out, so Diablo flew under my radar until D3, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Played 6-8 hours of the D2R beta last weekend and loved it.

Thinking of going for some type of Sorc build (playing on PS5).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who played Diablo 2 alot in the day I'm honestly wondering why people are so excited?

Like its weird in a way its not like I dont enjoy remakes or remasters, just I don't feel excited grinding my way through diablo 2 again.

I just have this horrible sinking feeling Blizzards going to ruin It by introducing monetisation later on once all the reviews have gone out.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
More impressions in this thread:

Warablo

I would prefer if they continue to update and balance the game, but they said they weren't going to do at first. They wanted to see what fans wanted first, they had some ideas.

I am getting it either way. Nothing in the genre compares to the D2 masterpiece. Not even that cartoony looking moba called Diablo 3.

Last edited:

Lucky8BB

Banned
I have played Diablo 1-2 many years ago and as I remember these games were really hard. First few levels/acts were awesome and my weapons could kill enemies without any problems, but difficulty was much higher later on, so I ended up using trainers. I especially remember black knights in diablo 1, because I couldnt kill even a single one with my weapons and spells. With diablo 2 remaster on the horizon maybe I will give diablo 1 another try, but I still wonder how to kill black knights. Any tips?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Just got home to play D2:R and it turns out the early access beta ended... Lame! Didn't even get to the countess!

Anyone else play beta? Thoughts?

It's epic. I was proven wrong, I guess the graphics plus the 25fps is really holding back the original because I didn't think it would feel modern enough with just a graphics bump. When you combine the graphics, lighting, and smooth 60fps, it makes for a huge jump. Can't wait for the full release.

I_D

The "real" endgame is PvP, and hoarding more loot for more PvP.
It definitely gets grindy, but there are at least tiers of the grind in terms of which items you need to find.

It's epic. I was proven wrong, I guess the graphics plus the 25fps is really holding back the original because I didn't think it would feel modern enough with just a graphics bump. When you combine the graphics, lighting, and smooth 60fps, it makes for a huge jump. Can't wait for the full release.

I wish the devs would explain this better. The game does not run at 25fps. You can run the original game at any fps you want.

The spites have 25 frames of animation, which is then used for all of the behind-the-scenes calculations of combat. The game itself, though, is presented in whatever fps you can run.

This aspect of the game is exactly the same in the remaster.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The "real" endgame is PvP, and hoarding more loot for more PvP.
It definitely gets grindy, but there are at least tiers of the grind in terms of which items you need to find.

I wish the devs would explain this better. The game does not run at 25fps. You can run the original game at any fps you want.

The spites have 25 frames of animation, which is then used for all of the behind-the-scenes calculations of combat. The game itself, though, is presented in whatever fps you can run.

This aspect of the game is exactly the same in the remaster.

The end result hurts my eyes. Idk if it matters what it runs at, when you switch to legacy graphics it looks like a stuttery mess in comparison.

Last edited:

I_D

The end result hurts my eyes. Idk if it matters what it runs at, when you switch to legacy graphics it looks like a stuttery mess in comparison.
I definitely agree with you on that. Something is wrong with it in the remaster.

I still have the original game installed, and it runs just fine. The classic mode in the remaster runs WAY worse.

DavidGzz

I definitely agree with you on that. Something is wrong with it in the remaster.

I still have the original game installed, and it runs just fine. The classic mode in the remaster runs WAY worse.

Have you played the original back to back with the remaster because I think it's the jarring difference you notice when you switch back and forth that has that effect. Mr. Llama switched back and forth and didn't mention it running worse. Seems he'd notice right away since he has like 50k hours in it lol

I_D

Have you played the original back to back with the remaster because I think it's the jarring difference you notice when you switch back and forth that has that effect. Mr. Llama switched back and forth and didn't mention it running worse. Seems he'd notice right away since he has like 50k hours in it lol

Yeah, I've played them back-to-back. There's a significant difference between the two, in terms of performance (or at least perceived performance).
I think the resolution may have something to do with it, though I'm essentially just talking out of my ass on that one.

The remaster is running the original 800x600 game in the background, but displaying at 1080p+ on modern monitors. When switching to the OG mode, the image has to suddenly become stretched to fit the screen, which is what I think is causing the stuttering.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright guys I'm interested about this game but can you tell me if it holds up well for someone that has just played d3 and its extension ?
I say that because I never player an other opus and have no rose tinted glass for the franchise.
Sorry if I mistyped some words I'm being injected chemo right now and feel a bit dizzy.

amigastar

Alright guys I'm interested about this game but can you tell me if it holds up well for someone that has just played d3 and its extension ?
I say that because I never player an other opus and have no rose tinted glass for the franchise.
Sorry if I mistyped some words I'm being injected chemo right now and feel a bit dizzy.
I would say it holds up very well, especially with 60 fps now. why don't you try out the open beta to check if you like it.
oh and get well soon, brother.

Last edited:
I have played Diablo 1-2 many years ago and as I remember these games were really hard. First few levels/acts were awesome and my weapons could kill enemies without any problems, but difficulty was much higher later on, so I ended up using trainers. I especially remember black knights in diablo 1, because I couldnt kill even a single one with my weapons and spells. With diablo 2 remaster on the horizon maybe I will give diablo 1 another try, but I still wonder how to kill black knights. Any tips?

The original Diablo has the best atmosphere in the entire series, it's worth it for that alone. The grind loop is there and is addictive but it's very rudimentary, which is understandable because it's one of the, if not the very first of its kind.

But i wouldn't recommend the vanilla experience, unless it's out of curiosity. Too many technical limitations that may impede enjoyment. What I highly recommend playing the original Diablo is with the HD mod. That's how i'm currently playing the game now as well, also in anticipation for Diablo 2 Resurrected (after 2, i'll fully play Diablo 3 in anticipation for Diablo 4, so suffice to say i'm on a Diablo roll).

It is absolutely fantastic. 60 FPS, 1080p+ (and you can use the mouse wheel to zoom in), many logical Quality of Life improvements, a large amount of added cut content that naturally flows within the game, added cut cutscenes and so much more. It's just incredible how much life it injects into the game while keeping that core loop and atmosphere intact. It is absolutely worth it with the mod.

Top Bottom