• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Gaming Rumors from Acquitance/Insider Source

Elios83

people keep saying this, but its not realistic. Sony has 18 billion on hand to spend over 3 years. That is for ALL of Sony, not just the gaming division. So realistically Sony would need to make smaller purchases as this can't cripple the entire company. That's just a plan of the money they wanted to spend in previous circumstances.
This is the money they wanted to spend under previous circumstances.
Not the money they can spend.
Plans can change and usually do change considerably when market conditions change as well.
I'd say that Sony potentially losing a big chunk of their revenues from 2023-2024 onwards in their so far most profitable division is a scenario that requires action to secure their future.
In this consolidation era you don't know who will be scooped next and they need to protect themselves so that they know they will be able to count on a certain number of IPs that is enough to stay in the business successfully even on their own terms, which is what Nintendo has done with really impressive results with the Wii and Switch.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to say it's kinda hilarious how one of the biggest deals in videogame history happened without anyone suspecting even the slightest thing, and as soon as it was announced a bunch of "insiders" come out of the woodwork with all kind of vague, amazing or trash "rumors".

You telling me Microsoft can spend 70 BILLION DOLLARS without anyone making a peep, and yet you know someone who somehow knows insider information about massive Sony acquisitions, EA plans and fucking Hideo Kojima, one of the most secretive videogame developers in the entire world?

21882%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jerry_lawler%20laughing%20smiling%20wwf.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have to say it's kinda hilarious how one of the biggest deals in videogame history happened without anyone suspecting even the slightest thing, and as soon as it was announced a bunch of "insiders" come out of the woodwork with all kind of vague, amazing or trash "rumors".

You telling me Microsoft can spend 70 BILLION DOLLARS without anyone making a peep, and yet you know someone who somehow knows insider information about massive Sony acquisitions, EA plans and fucking Hideo Kojima, one of the most secretive videogame developers in the entire world?

21882%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jerry_lawler%20laughing%20smiling%20wwf.gif
Yeah, anything actually real at this level is top secret. Otherwise it's illegal to leak stuff like this since you can trade early and make a lot. Acquisition talks are secret.

Juza

Square Enix is suffering from mismanagement! it is better for it to be under another company, Sony or something else. but before that Eidos must become independent again.

Kacho

Gold Member
So the rumor about Kojima moving his former Stadia exclusive to Xbox is no longer a thing and he's back to doing another PlayStation game? Hard to keep up in the age of faux insiders.

Edit: What is JEZ Corden saying?

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yeah, anything actually real at this level is top secret. Otherwise it's illegal to leak stuff like this since you can trade early and make a lot. Acquisition talks are secret.

Journalists probably hear stuff, but nothing concrete to publish stuff and say "someone is going to purchase someone"

John Wick

Not if you look at their financials. They put aside 13-18 billion dollars for acquisitions to be spent over the next 3 years. That's not just for SIE though. So no, the Playstation arm of Sony don't have 20 billion to blow on Take Two.
Are you stupid? Companies don't need to have the cash to buy another company. How do you think Nvidia is buying Arm from Softbank? With 40billion cash set aside eh?
Some of you really need to learn how business works. It's an acquisition, there are multiple ways to finance it. It all depends what they want to do?

pasterpl

Yes but also Sony aren't in a position to buy Take Two for the almost 20 billion dollars that they're worth. Only MS has the money to blow on that.

Not sure if Square Enix is a good fit due to rather uneven output but Take-Two would be the megaton counter. And a "cheap" one, as of January 14th 2022 Take-Two net worth is $17.59B according to google, which is less than a 1/3 of the estimated Activision's net worth from Monday.
With their zynga acquisition take2 would be more like 30bn, also with acquisitions you usually pay premium prices

Kokoloko85

LMAO. Your friend is super well connected. Is he Jeff Bezos?

He seems to know nothing about Ubisoft.

Take2 might be like Ubisoft. They dont want to be bought.
I doubt Microsoft would pick Activision over Take2. Or actually they would. Activision makes more sense for their gamepass/pc market then Take2. But I doubt take2 wants to sell if they are making big moves themselves.

Sony is probably going to buy Japanese studios.

Capcom > Square-Enix. Buying Square-Enix is a mistake.

Sega -> Capcom -> Square
Theres all amazing but I guess in this day and age most are gonna be bought by MS and Tencent the bigger companies.

But if Sony were to buy:

Sega: Persona. SMT. Disgaea. Yakuza. Total War. Football Manager. Sonic. PSU/PSO etc. Streets of Rage. Beyonetta. Virtua Fighter
Plus plenty of classic and arcade hits

Capcom: Resident Evil. Monster Hunter. DMC. Street Fighter. MegaMan. Pheonix Wright plus plenty of other IP like PowerStone, Dino Crisis

Square: Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest. Kingdom Hearts. Tomb Raider. Dues ex. Hitman. Plenty of Classics like Parasite Eve, Chorno, Legacy of Kain

But also Konami: MGS. Silent Hill. Castlevania. Pro Evolution. Lots of classics

I think if Sony could buy only 1 Id say Sega. Plenty of JRPG’s Persona etc, a fighting game or 2 in Virtua Fighter, Yakuza, PC market games like Total War and Football Manager. Loads of classics Sonic, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force etc

Capcom or Square my 2nd choice. I love RE but Hitman and Tomb Raider are big with FF are big

Its a shame some of these if not most of these won’t be available to Playstation in the future if the big companies keep buying, which they probably will

Draugoth

Gold Member
Well, if he is a gaming journalist then it would be easy for a mod to verify him.

If he's totally wrong and lying, then we should name and shame and end his career.

Talked to him. He said he would go talk to his sources saying if he could share where they get their information. In the meanwhile, he told people wait until July/June.

I have "a friend who claims he has contacts" in the video games industry (mostly Capcom and PlayStation) and asked me today after i got back from work to share some stuff he heard. I told him i could post it here, so; He specifically asked me to share the information he was told in case it turns out true, because in December he heard from an acquitance that Microsoft was looking to make a massive acquisition (which turned out to be the Activision one) and seems that no one believed him, and he didn't post anywhere to validate it.

Note: He specifically notes he isnt sure about the information. So do not take these as granted, i dont trust him very much either (lol):

SONY:

legiao_JwONicIvdpot9LgHzBj0h67PS4nmUVxD3qfl2ZKb5W.jpg.jpeg

• Sony is 'interested' in acquiring Take-Two. Rumors that Take-Two is doing nothing about it to make it easier for another company to purchase it.
  • PlayStation is closing a deal on Square Enix acquisition.
  • Sony will announce the acquisition of two indie studios.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics in development and going to be announced.
Capcom:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Capcom plans to open new studios focused on indie development
Microsoft:

667c226d23ad6dd089577d6e7facc387.jpg

• Microsoft will work alongside EA on new projects.
  • Microsoft plans to acquire another indie studio.
  • New Quake to be announced; Doom franchise to enter hiatus.
  • The Evil Within 3 is in development and going to be announced.
Konami/Kojima/:

konami-logo-10.png
images

• Kojima new game will release simultaneously to PS5 & PC
  • A Silent Hill Remastered (doesnt say which one) is planned for 2022
  • A New Castlevania game is in the works for mobile alongside a Castlevania AAA title.

----------------------------------

I'm still waiting on some stuff he told me to turn out real. So mods feel free to delete this if you feel it's dubious.

Whole thing reads like a list war, not to mention some other rumors that've been going around for a while are absent. Some of these also make no sense from a business POV.

Why would Sony buy Take-Two? They have one, maybe two IP they release entries in once a decade. So outside of those they'd only be buying them for GTA Online. Also given Take-Two's market cap they'd have to pay at least $26 billion, probably more, either depleting most of their cash-on-hand or using some mix of cash and stocks.

Not all of it sounds unreasonable but a lot of it does.

Pallas

Gold Member
Sony buying take-two has been going around for a while, I’m pretty sure there are some old threads buried in the graveyard about it. Sony buying Square-Enix is a more believable acquisition alone just based on past working relations, but that too has been a old rumor. Just like the old Microsoft rumor about them supposedly going to acquire EA which never happened.

Top Bottom