• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some info about what went down between Nintendo and Factor 5, along with Pilot Wings

sangreal

Pilotwings wouldn't get me to buy a Revolution, but it'll definitely get me to play a friend's copy if they are making it.

Anyways, the article sounds more like Matt's opinion than anything. He starts out saying he spoke to Factor 5 and they told him they were making PW. After that he doesn't attribute any of his statements to them.

Speevy

Banned
jett said:
Mario 64 DS wants a word with you.

You could count the number of handheld games I've played on one hand. Luckily I'll never have to experience that *Mario 64 DS' bad controls).

SantaC

sangreal said:
Pilotwings wouldn't get me to buy a Revolution, but it'll definitely get me to play a friend's copy if they are making it.

Anyways, the article sounds more like Matt's opinion than anything. He starts out saying he spoke to Factor 5 and they told him they were making PW. After that he doesn't attribute any of his statements to them.

Matt: "I assume"

Man, you guys cant seriously be having those kind of problems with Mario 64 DS.

Anyway, didnt Pilotwings sell abysmally on the N64? Apparently its one of those super cult classic games that wants to see an updated look along with Kid Icarus and such.

Speevy

Banned
20 years from now, PBS will be interviewing Matt.

"That's really what sunk Nintendo. Other companies wanted to use the latest graphics technology, but Nintendo just went a different route. Ultimately though, I think Zelda's lack of voice acting is what caused the company to go under."

Speevy

Banned
Dyack: "I'd like to think that we are a part of Nintendo. We'll be with you guys forever."

Iwata: "Excellent. Listen, about that Too Human engine... How do you feel about touch screens?"

VerTiGo

Banned
Even as a Nintendo fan, I can say that I really don't care. I was never a big Pilotwings fan. Actually, screw Pilotwings.

Ponn

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
right. anyone know how many copies pilotwings 64 moved?

And those numbers will be heavily influenced by the fact you had about 1 other game to choose from at launch of N64.

Ark-AMN

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
The exact same thing happened with Silicon Knights. That's not the official line, but that's basically what happened.

Thats what I said, it seemed the most likely.

Dyack: "I'd like to think that we are a part of Nintendo. We'll be with you guys forever."

Iwata: "Excellent. Listen, about that Too Human engine... How do you feel about touch screens?"

I actually can envision this conversation :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cheerilee

ToyMachine228 said:
The exact same thing happened with Silicon Knights. That's not the official line, but that's basically what happened.
I thought Silicon Knights went more like this:

Denis Dyack: I wonder what the Rev's secret is? Nintendo hasn't told us yet. I know, I'll go spend a day with Matt from IGN! I'm sure I can get the secret out of him. He knows everything!

Matt: Nintendo is DOOMED!!!1! (times eight hours)

Denis: Man... I am so freakin depressed... lets just go work for Sega...

Matt: SK just quit! Nintendo is more doomed than they've ever been!

Ponn

Banned
I'm still missing this whole Matt from IGN is the devil against Nintendo thing. Every time something from his is posted everyone immediately starts bagging on him but in every article I have read so far that is posted here he pretty much has kept it too the point and relevant. In this article for instance he is just letting people know what happened in the background with Pilotwings and I found it very interesting. I can't find anything where he is saying Nintendo is doomed or saying bad things about them, just what happened.

So are people over-exaggerating or is it just my imagination? Is it because you want someone to just paint everything as sugar plums and roses no matter what? If he has badmouthed Nintendo in the past for no reason could someone please link those reviews or mailbags because I would be interested in seeing them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Doesn't strike me as really surprising news or any sort of significant blow for Nintendo. Their attempts to outsource their franchises to other developers has had pretty mixed results this generation (Starfox blah!) and I don't expect them to go that route next generation anyways. I think EAD would be better off making this one on their own from what I've PLAYED of Rebel Strike (so pretty tho! :) )

spliced

I can't say I care much knowing they were working on a PW game. I thought they were making some Turrican game. Now that I might have been interested in.

I don't like how much some developers seem to make the same types of games over and over. Let them make something different.

Cheerilee

Ponn01 said:
I'm still missing this whole Matt from IGN is the devil against Nintendo thing. Every time something from his is posted everyone immediately starts bagging on him but in every article I have read so far that is posted here he pretty much has kept it too the point and relevant. In this article for instance he is just letting people know what happened in the background with Pilotwings and I found it very interesting. I can't find anything where he is saying Nintendo is doomed or saying bad things about them, just what happened.

So are people over-exaggerating or is it just my imagination? Is it because you want someone to just paint everything as sugar plums and roses no matter what? If he has badmouthed Nintendo in the past for no reason could someone please link those reviews or mailbags because I would be interested in seeing them.
I imagine that people have a number of different takes on this, but I'll toss mine out.

Even back in the N64 days, Matt seemed to have gotten really deep access to Nintendo. When the GameCube/Dolphin started up, Matt knew everything about it, and he started talking an awful lot about how the GameCube was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. He was practically oozing with optimism.

Also, and I'm not sure if this matters, but Matt became something of a god to a growing group of fanboys. If something was printed on IGN, it became an undeniable fact.

Then once the GameCube started not living up to his expectations, he started getting moody. You could feel it. The kicker was when he started an editorial series called The Nintendo Difference, where he took Nintendo's slogan of the time, twisted it into an insult, and started ranting about everything that was wrong with Nintendo, which some of us already knew about and accepted, but Matt decided that all the kiddies really needed to know about.

To quote Matt "I concede that my views are jaded -- I've been covering Nintendo long enough to get this way. I really don't think a person can call himself or herself a true Nintendo fan without being so."

After that, he pretty much started talking on an infrequent basis about how the GameCube would've destroyed the PS2 had he been in charge of Nintendo. Every time people started complaing that he was crossing the line between "news" and "bitter editorial", he started putting himself up as a martyr, saying that he was the only one willing to speak the truth, and that the Nintendo kiddies are just too immature to accept it.

When he took over the IGN-Cube mailbag, things got much worse. Sometimes he doesn't even use any letters as an excuse to go on rants. People have complained about it, but he pretty much openly states that he has free reign over how to handle the mailbag, and intends to use it as his loosely-Nintendo-related blog.

He's taken shots at the DS in the GCN mailbag, predicting doom for the DS and Nintendo, without even owning a DS. He's spoken about how he thinks the Revolution is going down the wrong path, even while admitting that he doesn't actually know anything about the Revolution, or what path it's taking (Nintendo apparently locked him out this generation, along with everyone else).

Basically, he used to be a tremendous insider. Then he became a bitter, jaded, know-it-all.

Of course, I've heard people say I was an idiot for not realizing these things about Matt sooner.

I've been watching Matt go downhill since... 2002, apparently. And every time I start to feel that maybe I was reading to much into it, and I should just ignore him, he usually does or says something to up the ante.

It became a joke, saying that he was just starting a fuss to attract attention, and increase traffic to IGN, but it's gotten to the point where I seriously would not doubt if that was a motivation behind Matt's occasional controversy.

(BTW, the rest of IGN is a mixed bag of jerks and losers, with some good people probably mixed in, but nobody stands out as much as Matt.)

ziran

ruby_onix said:
I imagine that people have a number of different takes on this, but I'll toss mine out.

Even back in the N64 days, Matt seemed to have gotten really deep access to Nintendo. When the GameCube/Dolphin started up, Matt knew everything about it, and he started talking an awful lot about how the GameCube was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. He was practically oozing with optimism.

Also, and I'm not sure if this matters, but Matt became something of a god to a growing group of fanboys. If something was printed on IGN, it became an undeniable fact.

Then once the GameCube started not living up to his expectations, he started getting moody. You could feel it. The kicker was when he started an editorial series called The Nintendo Difference, where he took Nintendo's slogan of the time, twisted it into an insult, and started ranting about everything that was wrong with Nintendo, which some of us already knew about and accepted, but Matt decided that all the kiddies really needed to know about.

To quote Matt "I concede that my views are jaded -- I've been covering Nintendo long enough to get this way. I really don't think a person can call himself or herself a true Nintendo fan without being so."

After that, he pretty much started talking on an infrequent basis about how the GameCube would've destroyed the PS2 had he been in charge of Nintendo. Every time people started complaing that he was crossing the line between "news" and "bitter editorial", he started putting himself up as a martyr, saying that he was the only one willing to speak the truth, and that the Nintendo kiddies are just too immature to accept it.

When he took over the IGN-Cube mailbag, things got much worse. Sometimes he doesn't even use any letters as an excuse to go on rants. People have complained about it, but he pretty much openly states that he has free reign over how to handle the mailbag, and intends to use it as his loosely-Nintendo-related blog.

He's taken shots at the DS in the GCN mailbag, predicting doom for the DS and Nintendo, without even owning a DS. He's spoken about how he thinks the Revolution is going down the wrong path, even while admitting that he doesn't actually know anything about the Revolution, or what path it's taking (Nintendo apparently locked him out this generation, along with everyone else).

Basically, he used to be a tremendous insider. Then he became a bitter, jaded, know-it-all.

Of course, I've heard people say I was an idiot for not realizing these things about Matt sooner.

I've been watching Matt go downhill since... 2002, apparently. And every time I start to feel that maybe I was reading to much into it, and I should just ignore him, he usually does or says something to up the ante.

It became a joke, saying that he was just starting a fuss to attract attention, and increase traffic to IGN, but it's gotten to the point where I seriously would not doubt if that was a motivation behind Matt's occasional controversy.

(BTW, the rest of IGN is a mixed bag of jerks and losers, with some good people probably mixed in, but nobody stands out as much as Matt.)
sadly i have to agree with much of this. i really think it's time for matt to move on, nintendo is obviously causing him more stress and anguish than joy.

as for f5 and pilotwings, i'd pretty much figured out what had happened, as probably most people had.

after playing rs3 i think f5 would've created a very poor pilotwings.

Top Bottom