• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some perspective on the Next-Gen: this is how a first year ng exclusive looked like last gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How refreshing, somone with some sense.
I have played Control maxed out on PC and no it doesnt look as good as Horizon FW. The RT debris, lighting, shadows and reflections cant hide the fact that the game looks very mediocre. Its destruction is its biggest asset but the lighting, textures, character models and overall visual quality puts it behind pretty much every great looking game last gen. Now if it did destruction AND looked like RE2, TLOU2, RDR2, or even Doom Eternal then sure.

I also dont agree that the game cant be run maxed out on consoles. Yes, the consoles arent as powerful as a rtx 2080 I ran the game on, but you can easily run it at 30 fps maxed out with all settings. Even my rtx 2080 could only run the game at 960p with maxed out settings at a locked 60 fps. Had to DLSS the rest to get to 1440p and it still looked like a 900p game.

Consoles could run the game at 30 fps locked with ray traced debris, ao, lighting, shadows and reflections at 900p easily. We have already seen photomode running the game's rt mode at around 40-50 fps with the xsx version going up to 58 fps. Thats a lot of performance being left on the table.

Last edited:

xPikYx

The equation is simple. PS4 came out in 2013 for 400€ whereas the highest end gpu from Ati was 475€ (I bought mine at launch for that price, an MSI HD 7970) nowadays the ps5 still managed the same price range whereas the top GPU was "listed" for 999€ so we have a huge price gap, this suggests that of course to maintain that price range obviously they had to play cheap on components.

On the top of this we passed only resolution wise from 720p to 1080p and now from 1080p to 2160p (I.E. asking the impossible), plus people started being fussy with framerates, now everyone wants 60fps or even 120fps (excuse-me???). Then nVidia started introducing the final slash to the equation 2 years ago, the Ray tracing, the holy grail of 3d Graphic. Things with this are getting pretty serious, basically the most expensive 3d calculation of all time running on AMD which is still at rookie level of implementation via hardware. Basically the final result could not be more than different from this: totally shit! Last gen games polished with some make up. There is no next gen, stop calling it this way, PS4/Xone was the last real console gen. And now comes the business side of the equation. Nowadays what are important are sales and this translate in games published on every bloody platform on the earth : PC, previous gen, new gen, mobile, switch, stadia, coffe machines, calculators, Apple watches and the upcoming steam decks. How can you really focus in delivering a true next gen experience if you have to develop a game on thousands of different devices while maintaining a closer visual fidelity? They'd done better calling them PS4 pro plus and Xone Series X...oh I almost forgot, the genial Xbox Series S, another great move, thank you Microsoft

Seriously, play Ratchet, this is your Infamous this generation. Spiderman in grapic mode is also impressive with all that ray tracing.

Are you perhaps playing the games on a full HD tv and not a 4K television? Then it is not surprising that you are complaining.

Banned
Seriously, play Ratchet, this is your Infamous this generation. Spiderman in grapic mode is also impressive with all that ray tracing.

Are you perhaps playing the games on a full HD tv and not a 4K television? Then it is not surprising that you are complaining.

Ratchet also is not a big jump... with some minor changes it could easily run on last gen

take the non-RT 60fps mode of Ratchet, half the framerate and it would easily run in a One X at almost the same settings
and the non RT 60fps mode is basically the same settings as the 30fps mode minus the Raytracing. So basically, the RT mode without Raytracing = One X quality
cut the resolution in half and you got your PS4 Pro version (~dynamic 1440p), cut that in half again and you got a base PS4 version (~dynamic 1080p)

Last edited:

RCU005

The industry is too focused on hitting resolution and frame rate targets that they don't even give a damn to actually improve visual details or physics.

I think this is exactly what's happening. The industry if focused in two things:

1) Trying to reach the 4K/60fps that gamers somehow care more than graphics now. I don't know what actual data and statistics would say, but it seems developers now want that. For example: Some remasters from PS3 to PS4 offered visual improvements, while many of PS4 to PS5 remasters have been just frame rate and resolution.

2) Trying to reach the GaaS jackpot! They want to make a game that is as popular as Fortnite. Even if it's single player, developers are trying to make a game where they can keep selling you the game.

You can see with SIE right now. PS3 era were about new IPs and experimental games. PS4 was about AAA cinematic games, and PS5 seems to be going into multiplayer focused according to many projects they are working on.

The industry is growing, but they want to milk it with micro transactions and loot boxes instead of making proper games that people really want to play.

You'll see that Sony will launch much less cinematic, single player games this gen.

buenoblue

I really don't get the love for control graphics. It looks ok but for such a confined game the detail on the characters and the paintings and stuff looks bad to me. And the rt is so noisy.

I downloaded the free ps5 version after playing pc a while back and I was like this looks pretty bad to me after playing the likes of ratchet, Mike's morales and even fenyx rising.

But people got told by DF that it looks great so they ran with it.
Come to think of it quantum break looked weird too.

Is someone really arguing control vs horizon fw 😆 I've played control on a 2080 with RT set to Ultra all it did was kill performance it hardly looks any better than control next gen version does on my series x..some of you live in delusion

Infact Metro Exodus enhanced looks way better than control on pc and series x

Last edited:
Ratchet also is not a big jump... with some minor changes it could easily run on last gen
No it cannot. Taking the graphic settings aside, there is just no way, it can run on a hardware without a SSD due to the nearly instant loading.

I think too many people are too obsessed with graphics. This generation the biggest thing at least for me is the short loading times. During the last gen, I was never thinking, oh my god that would be so great with a higher resolution or better graphics, but I was constantly annoyed by the very long loading times.

Banned
I really don't get the love for control graphics. It looks ok but for such a confined game the detail on the characters and the paintings and stuff looks bad to me. And the rt is so noisy.

I downloaded the free ps5 version after playing pc a while back and I was like this looks pretty bad to me after playing the likes of ratchet, Mike's morales and even fenyx rising.

the amount of detail in the environment in Control is crazy. you can literally take apart almost every piece of interior decoration and furniture, and you can do so usually in high detail. you can shoot off the side of a desk, then shoot out the legs on one side and then watch the drawer slide out as its own physical object you can interact with and also destroy with granular detail.

and if you wanna go ham, just use your powers to destroy a dozen desks at once, with their physically calculated remains flying across the room.

and again... neither the PS5 nor the Series X can run the game at the highest settings, the RT is simply too demanding, hence half of the effects found on PC are turned off on console. and I'm pretty sure even as it is the game runs on medium at 1440p on the new consoles, even without RT

SlimySnake

Control's destruction is leagues ahead of anything on console at the time which skewed the opinions somewhat. It is really truly impressive to see physics like that after almost two gens, but the rest of the visuals were just meh.

I was more blown away by the RT in Spiderman Miles. Especially in its indoor areas where reflections were everywhere. On the floors, on the windows and on every single metallic surface in each room. And it did that while pushing some stunning particle effects, gorgeous lighting and character models.

This late game boss fight has some stunning reflections. And its crazy to think that they were able to double the resolution of these reflections by optimizing Ratchet 7 months after launch.

Banned
No it cannot. Taking the graphic settings aside, there is just no way, it can run on a hardware without a SSD due to the nearly instant loading.

I think too many people are too obsessed with graphics. This generation the biggest thing at least for me is the short loading times. During the last gen, I was never thinking, oh my god that would be so great with a higher resolution or better graphics, but I was constantly annoyed by the very long loading times.

we now know that even super slow gen4 SSDs can easily run Ratchet, SSDs slower than the Series X's SSD. so they totally could bring it to PS4, maybe the transitions would take a while and it would take away a lot of what makes it feel so fresh, but it would work. you would have 10-15sec transitions instead of 2-3 sec transitions... but that would be about it.

but sure, the SSD is a big jump, but the conversation so far was ONLY about graphics, and in terms of graphics these new systems bring almost nothing new to the table outside of limited Raytracing capabilities and slightly more refined graphics effects we already had on last gen.

basically, if a game runs at 60fps on current gen, you can almost always cut either the resolution or the framerate in half and run it almost identically in terms of graphics quality on an Xbox One X.
and that's the kicker right there. because we have such high resolutions now as well, even cutting the res in half basically results only a small decrease in overall looks, that is especially true in the age of upsampling tech getting better and better with TAAU in modern engines having no issue making half res look close to native res on a high enough target resolution.

what we can see this gen is better framerates, better loading and better game-logic related things like more AI, more players, more physics. but if you simply go by graphical fidelity we will not see a big jump

all in all, it's diminishing returns + the mid gen refresh systems that make this the subjectively smallest jump (gen to gen) ever
I mean, the GPU power increase from Xbox One to Xbox One X is about as big as the jump from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, so basically we already had a generational jump in terms of GPU power WITHIN the last generation of consoles

Xbox 360 = 0.240TF, Xbox One = 1.310TF, One X = 6.000TF, Series X = 12TF
1,310 / 240 = 5.4
6,000 / 1,310 = 4.5
12,000 / 6,000 = 2
not exactly, but close

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’m happy with 1440p and 60fps if I am being honest. I do not have a powerful PC so am a primarily console gamer. I work in IT and sit in front of a monitor for 8-10 hours a day so I couldn’t possibly spend any more time in front of a monitor as it would probably be quite bad for me. I am pretty happy with what is on show and what we will get in a few years.

Sony never fail to deliver on the great single player experiences and they’ll deliver again this gen. I’ll definitely be getting a Series X at some stage also. MS will start delivering top quality games, make no doubt about that at this stage.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Next year will bring the real next gen stuff. Much like 2015 did for the ps4/xbox one. I think ratchet and infamous second son are comprable. Both really did a great job of showing off the new console they were built for, but both also felt somewhat shallow. I think demons souls is still my favorite ps5 game, with astrobot at a close second

SlimySnake

I keep saying it- technology doesn't limit the ceiling anymore. Time, money and people do.

TLoU2 is one of the best-looking games in the world because it had a top tier developer, an unlimited budget and 7 years in the oven, even though it was made for 8 year old hardware at the time.

You can dick-measure all the tflops you want but they're meaningless. It comes down to pure human ability and graft now.
Not sure I agree. Yes time and money is important but they are also working against the advancement in graphics. Rockstar needs 3000 people to make one game nowadays because of their high standards which means it not only takes longer, but also has to take longer because they can no longer afford to release their $400 million game on a console with 10 million userbase.

Sony cant afford to sell their $100 million games on new consoles so they force their devs to release last gen games on launch year and then the year after launch year and then another year after that.

Once these studios start developing games exclusively on next gen consoles you will a drastic difference in visual quality between the two generations.

And its only gotten easier to make games with photorealistic graphics nowadays. This entire world was created by 3 people from DICE.

This storm demo was created by one person on a gtx 970. a GPU with only 2x more power than the base ps4.

You have no name chinese developers producing stunning visuals already by ditching last gen consoles.

The problem is that everyone is shackled themselves to a 1.84 tflops console. The moment they ditch it, you will begin to see some truly incredible looking titles.

Consoles couldn’t beat PC’s, so they joined them. So things like 4k‘ish, HDR, 60 fps are the ng leaps. Gaming on commodity pc hardware now is naturally going to homogenize gaming. OLED technology also makes just about anything looks nice too.

I wonder if something like IBM’s 2nm process could make another RISC console that would offer anything fresh. The PS3 did things ahead of it’s time.

hussar16

The weird thing is how the next gen PS5 spiderman game looks alot like infamous second son.the night shots are almost identical

SkylineRKR

I've played all next-gen exclusives on PS5, except for Rift Apart, and the difference isn't there. They aren't looking better than a souped up God of War or Ghost of Tsushima. I'm now playing Returnal and its very good but on graphical level didn't wow me at all.

The most important improvements are the load times and frame rates. I haven't played a 30fps game yet which is good.

i don't expect radical changes, this hardware can only go so far. They're more likely pushing RT effects which doesn't do anything for me on consoles. So far I've always disabled them and took the higher framerate and res. Don't forget the Pro and 6TF? One X just released in 2016 and 2017. The jump isn't huge (basically only 2x).

Md Ray

we now know that even super slow gen4 SSDs can easily run Ratchet, SSDs slower than the Series X's SSD
Gen4 SSDs slower than XSX's SSD? Which ones are those?
so they totally could bring it to PS4, maybe the transitions would take a while and it would take away a lot of what makes it feel so fresh, but it would work. you would have 10-15sec transitions instead of 2-3 sec transitions... but that would be about it.
Try 25+ seconds, that would basically be like waiting for a level to load at that point and a lot less like switching dimensions every time Ratchet enters a portal, lol. It does not work.

What's the point?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What ever happened to VFXVetran?
He left

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

skit_data

They are just complaining because the game drought after a console release has been longer due to Covid.
I think this year has been great. In the first 6 months I got Spider-Man MM & Remastered, Demon’s Souls and Returnal. Within half a year I’ll be getting Elden Ring, Horizon FW and GT7. Its easily been the most packed first 1,5 years I’ve ever experienced with a console. And that’s not even taking lastgen games with patches and my backlog into account.

With PS4 I waited almost 1,5 years for 1 worthwhile game to arrive in the form of Bloodborne.

SpokkX

Besides reminding me of what an awful lead character infamous second son had this thread also made me realise people STILL dont understand that games are not only graphics

the main upgrade this gen is CPU (4-5x improved) and it will affect how INTERACTIVE the world is

Physics and AI will be the next gen stuff.

No more static worlds ala last of us or AI from ps2 era.

THAT is way more important than improving gfx now - they are fine as is

Radical_3d

Well, just look at the screens you posted. PS4 was the end of the road. Images don’t get way better than that. Surely you can put side to side a raytraced reflection and the old gen reflections and see… something. But nothing that you’d normally miss. That’s why we get cool SSDs, they knew they needed a reclaim other than graphic fidelity.

2014 as a PS4 owner was actually fun. yeah at times i felt like my PS4 was sitting doing nothing but looking back there was a load of games i had fun with in 2014. The only game I'd be tempted to get a PS5 for is Demon's Souls. That's like if I had got a PS4 just for Infamous. Even with all those other games I played it still felt a bit empty so I couldn't imagine going a whole year with one game lol.

as for performance/graphics. it was the same last gen...there is a period of time that developers will continue to release games on last gen. look at Battlefield 2042. that needs to run on a PS4 and XB1 so of course PS5/XSX and PC are gonna be held back. it was the same with Battlefield 4. maybe in a year or two developers will start focusing on PS5/XSX hardware and i do think these consoles will bring a lot. when they came out the GPU + SSD performance was better than probably 90% of PCs. of course now PC has leaped forward with GPUs with up to about 46TF and SSD speeds of 7GB/s (PS5 only has 5.5GB/s) but i would safely say that the GPUs of the consoles are still better than a lot of PCs out there. my GPU is about similar to a PS5 and SSD is closer to Xbox than PS5 (3.4GB/s). the new consoles also have much better CPU which is something that really held back consoles last gen. we can already see games being able to go to 60fps thanks to the faster speeds. we might be lucky to see some improvements in AI/scheduling.

this gen has been disappointing so far but i think it will turn out really good. let's not panic just yet.

K2D

Banned
Best quit gaming now while you're ahead. You'll never be wowed by graphics like in old days, ever again. (And that's o-k. VR will wow me thought..)

Last edited:

Boy bawang

The generalization of 60fps is a really pleasant progress, but diminishing returns is a real thing and I never expected this generation to be something else than "more of the same". If it gives us Flight Simulator, it ain't that bad, but unless the consoles are sold for more than 1000 bucks, what we're seeing now is almost the best we can hope.

The generalization of 60fps is a really pleasant progress, but diminishing returns is a real thing and I never expected this generation to be something else than "more of the same". If it gives us Flight Simulator, it ain't that bad, but unless the consoles are sold for more than 1000 bucks, what we're seeing now is almost the best we can hope.
there is still 120-240fps to look forward to..

Best quit gaming now while you're ahead. You're never be wowed by graphics like in the ever again. (And that's o-k. VR will wow me thought..)
i kinda agree. raytracing is probably the biggest advancement in video game graphics for a while now. when we can go full on raytracing we will see a big improvement in graphics. unfortuantly right now we have only got a glimpse of it cause these consoles can only manage small amounts of it (for reflections mostly) while largely still relying on rasterisation. even on PC if you try running a game with all the RTX on (still with some rasterisation) it will make even the beefiest system sweat. for example when i run Cyberpunk with all RTX on it looks better for sure but it's not significantly different. when games are built with only raytracing we will see a big difference.

once compute power improves enough so that we can bring over full raytracing then we'll see another leap in visuals. so there is still something to look forward to. so far the examples of full raytracing we've seen are demos (nvidia marble which is "Playable") and games that are old/simple games like Doom/Minecraft:

capture.2020-04-11-18.10.30.png

Doom-RTX-feature.jpg

Minecraft-Comparison-1-RTX.jpg

Hunnybun

These new machines mostly feel like PS4 PRO PRO and Xbox one X X

By the numbers yes, but tell me you see a generational leap at a glance:

xbox-boss-congratulates-sonys-insomniac-games-on-ratchet-and-clank.large.jpg

ratchet-and-clank-ps4-4.jpg

It's not as striking, even with the games that have Ray Tracing... I say this as a PS5 owner, I do really enjoy it, but I don't expect things to get much better than they are now (some improvement? sure, but it won't ever be like getting a Dreamcast while your buddies have their PS1).

Those shots of Rift Apart and PS4 Ratchet are obviously unrepresentative. During the actual game, taken on average, yes it's a generational leap. It's a roughly equivalent leap to the one the 2016 game made from the PS3 games.

K2D

Banned
I can't wait until the narrative changes towards the amount of 'graphics and animation'-implementations.

I can imagine the biggest hurdle will be cost to obtain tools and the complexity of developing new or on-par tools on your own. Especially for start up/indie developers.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Tech changes a lot in 2 - 5 years, but unfortunately not affordability.
People were still up n arms about 499$ consoles and 70$ game tag. and then we expect a generational leap.

I still enjoy Plants vs Zombies. Make it run on PS6 now.

ripeavocado

Banned
It depends how you look at it
SUIYSRp.jpg

49996357581_16757c3081_o_d.png

Different developers, in the op you have two games developed by the same team.

From Software is well know for having a shitty engine and being bad with graphics.

Bluepoint is using Unreal Engine and they are very good at it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I have played Control maxed out on PC and no it doesnt look as good as Horizon FW. The RT debris, lighting, shadows and reflections cant hide the fact that the game looks very mediocre. Its destruction is its biggest asset but the lighting, textures, character models and overall visual quality puts it behind pretty much every great looking game last gen. Now if it did destruction AND looked like RE2, TLOU2, RDR2, or even Doom Eternal then sure.

I also dont agree that the game cant be run maxed out on consoles. Yes, the consoles arent as powerful as a rtx 2080 I ran the game on, but you can easily run it at 30 fps maxed out with all settings. Even my rtx 2080 could only run the game at 960p with maxed out settings at a locked 60 fps. Had to DLSS the rest to get to 1440p and it still looked like a 900p game.

Consoles could run the game at 30 fps locked with ray traced debris, ao, lighting, shadows and reflections at 900p easily. We have already seen photomode running the game's rt mode at around 40-50 fps with the xsx version going up to 58 fps. Thats a lot of performance being left on the table.

So what about control looks mediocre?
Im sure forbidden west will have its weaknesses to, but I dont think its a gen apart from control maxed out on PC, and if you dont agree, thats ok, we dont have to agree.

KAL2006

Banned
We're nowhere near the point where graphics won't get any better though

In fact, the leap this gen will be huge. Wait until more next gen exclusives come

No one stated it won't get better, there certainly will be a leap. However it won't be as big. The proof is in the previous gens. PS1 to PS2 was a way bigger leap than PS2 to PS3. PS2 to PS3 was a way bigger leap than PS3 to PS4. However it wasn't as big as PS1 to PS2.

KAL2006

Banned
My predictions for the next few consoles

PS4
1080p graphics, still a weak CPU so many 30fps games.

PS5
We have finally got a good CPU upgrade so we have got 60fps on majority of games. Graphics don't seem to have improved now as games are targeting 4K which is the biggest jump in resolution in a long time now games need to be rendered 4x resolution in comparison to 1080p so alot of the GPU is wasted on rendering at the higher resolution which doesn't allow for much of a big graphics upgrade. On top we have got things like RT that also uses alot of resources. Due to this we will have many cross gen games where developers remove RT, lower framerate and resolution to support PS4, it helps the architecture is the same.

PS6
RT will be the standard here so alot of resources will go there again. Games with fidelity mode, resolution mode, performance mode, RT mode can now finally be combined to use all the visual upgrades. So we can get many games that are 60/RT/4K. However because now the resolution doesn't need to upgrade the resources can go at improving the graphics. It would be the first time in a long time resolution hasn't gone higher, so focus can be on improving graphics way more the only issue is RT taking resources now.

PS7
We now have pathtracing, making lighting in games more realistic, and development of games so much easier. Once again resolution will still be targeting 4K so all the only resource would be pathtracing taking away from improving graphics. This will be the final generation for console gaming.

I am just a moron about these things but maybe 4k 60 fps takes a lot of GPU power hence you're not seeing a giant next gen leap?

we are going for 4k/60, faster loading this gen....keep your pants on and enjoy the ride

honestly if you didn't compare recent console games side/side to pc, they look pretty similar

what were you expecting for $500?

Last edited:
I don’t beleive it’s a case of “diminishing returns” or “not enough power. Both are just flat out false in my opinion.

We already have some really impressive looking games in terms of visuals, like Demon’s Souls, Ratchet and Clank and the new Horizon Forbidden West looks stunning even though it’s a cross-gen title.

It’s true to some extent that we haven’t really seen games which are “mind blowing” in terms of visuals, or “next-gen” but these terms have also become subjective in a lot of the discourse. What is next-gen and how do we define it? Some people think it’s a matter of upping texture-resolution and adding ray-tracing to everything which I think is absurd considering the modest (at best) increase in visuals ray-tracing offers. I would define next-gen as technologies we are seeing with UE5 such as micro-polygon rendering systems, high bandwidth streaming for geomtry and textures and Primitive/Mesh Shaders to significantly optimise graphics workloads, and either software or hardware based global illumination systems and hardware based ray-traced reflections and lighting, amongst other things such as significantly better charecter and facial animations. The issue is current gen engines don’t support such features and we will very likely have to wait for the second and third wave of games to see this, which would be around 2023 onwards.

I’d keep a look out for Hellblade 2 form the Xbox side of things and other titles (not really sure which others as I don’t game on Xbox). A lot of third party developers have stopped chasing bleeding edge visuals but Rockstar is a safe bet to bring a lot of next-gen “goodies”. Sony’s first party studios are a given, especially considering what they were able to achieve on the PS4 these past few years, easily amongst the best looking games we’ve ever seen.

We just need to be a little patient.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much about the Hardware power but about not seeing anything next gen AND fresh.

Last gen, by E3 2013-2014 we had seen stuff like Ryse or The order, and some others that already could tell us what to expect on that generation (then these games could be better or worse, but just talking about graphics).

On this gen, we are pretty much one year since consoles released and what we've seen so far is Forza Horizon 5, Horizon Forbidden West, Halo, God of war, Ratchet.. some of these look great, but it's simply more and better than their prequels, plus sadly most of them are cross-gen , there's nothing new, if i have to think on something next-gen only and fresh, well Stalker 2 (15 years since first game) and the monkey chinese game? that's all after 1 whole year into this gen...

That's what bothers me most about the start of this generation, but i HOPE this will change in the next two months, i got faith on seeing at least Avowed and next Bend's project by this december, and then they can be technically better or worse than both Horizon's which imo are the two best looking games from Sony/MS, but i am way more hyped and im sure they'll surprise me way more.

Top Bottom