• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PlayStation Stars Details Revealed (Digital Collectibles)

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • Digital collectibles will be earned primarily through campaigns
  • Can be arranged in a virtual display case within the PS App or your PSN profile
  • Launching first on the PS App; console integration coming later
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/13/first-look-digital-collectibles-coming-to-playstation-stars/

Today, we provided a first look at the digital collectible rewards that you can earn through PlayStation Stars – which will be free to join. Digital collectibles represent the things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including cherished devices that tap into Sony’s broader heritage in consumer electronics.

These first look examples include a scene with Punto the gondolier from Ape Escape 2, PlayStation 3, PocketStation, Toro and Kuro celebrating a birthday, Chord Machine, and Polygon Man.

Created just for PlayStation Stars, these digital collectibles can only be earned through our loyalty program. In some instances, collectibles will be provided as a way to commemorate past activities, achievements, or product ownership. They range in rarity, just like the actual products on which they are based or the effort required to earn them. Once you’ve earned collectibles, you can arrange them in a virtual display case within the PlayStation App and, if you choose, you may display your collectibles case within your PSN profile to friends. There will be different ways to acquire or earn collectibles – the primary way will be through completing campaigns.

The campaigns in PlayStation Stars will be fun, delightful, and yes, sometimes challenging to complete. A campaign may be a point-earning or collectible-earning activity. One of our first campaigns is “Hit Play/1994,” where members who correctly launch games that match song-based clues receive a special collectible. More campaign details to come.

PlayStation Stars will first launch on the PlayStation App and expand to our console platform in the future. We will launch PlayStation Stars in most markets starting later this month with Asia (including Japan), and the Americas and Europe to follow at a later date.

This sounds incredibly convoluted but hey maybe it will still be cool.

And maybe this will be an impetus for them to actually bulk out their Plus classics collection, to tie to Stars campaigns.

dugdug

Banned
I think two things are happening here:
  1. This had to have started development as an NFT project, but, they decided to remove all the blockchain shit, and hopefully, it remains entirely free.
  2. They’re noticing that trophies/achievements don’t have the allure they used to, and are hoping this can replace that.

ZoukGalaxy

I thought NFT immediately also when they announced this.
I don't see the point, but, well I guess some people will love to collect totally useless virtual thing to tell "mine is bigger" and which could dissappear in a snap from Sony when the service will ends ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Aenima

Hopefully the rewards will be more than collectibles. Give me discount codes or store credit and ill sign up.

This will also launch 1st on the PS App and only later will come to the consoles.

Elios83

I think it's a cool extension of trophies, having a virtual display case of these digital items.
I don't use the PSapp much so I'm waiting for this to be integrated in the console OS/UI.

Mr Hyde

Looks like fun. I'll try it and see what gives. I also hope for more meaningful rewards like store discount and stuff. But the collector in me is intrigued by this.

Fahdis

Oh look, a feature they were supposed to intro in PlayStation Home. Which was already a great service. Bring it back you cunts and keep that as the main starting piece on your OS.

Doom85

If they’re going collectibles, I’d far rather have new avatars, and of course, themes! I want PS5 themes already, I’ve only had my PS5 for a few months and already miss the music options for the main menu.

Knowing I won’t be able to have the Resident Evil save room music playing in October, or a chill Christmas tune in December, I’m all:

Sad Talk To Me GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:

ManaByte

Oh look, a feature they were supposed to intro in PlayStation Home. Which was already a great service. Bring it back you cunts and keep that as the main starting piece on your OS.
PS Home was a support nightmare though. It hit at the height of Second Life and a lot of those degenerates were trying to turn it into a PS3 Second Life with all of the nightmare fuel that comes with that.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Some of these challenges are borderline stupid and not worth the time. Before I get dogpiled, I know it's an opt in service and serves no real value. I just don't see me really caring about this unless you can earn some sort of monetary/tangible item out of it.

My precious gaming time is limited as it is, there is no way I am booting up these games just to collect meaningless digital items. If it gave you some coins, then maybe, but for a digital Sony Chord Machine, I don't think so.

In order to solve the Hit Play/1994 Campaign in PS Stars you'll need to play six different games based on the following clues. The solutions are listed below:

ClueSolution
Stay x Circle of LifeReturnal
Baby I Love Your Way x Go WestDeath Stranding
Mr Jones x RegulateUncharted 4: A Thief's End
More Human Than HumanDetroit: Become Human
Wild NightUntil Dawn
Streets of PhiladelphiaHeavy Rain

Dthomp

So I have over 50 plats, the overwhelming majority are first party games, and I start at level 1. Off to a great start Sony.

Yeah as a trophy hunter, these quests suck. I don't want to boot up games once and get it on my list to only feel forced to play something I'm not in the mood to play at the moment

Markio128

So I have over 50 plats, the overwhelming majority are first party games, and I start at level 1. Off to a great start Sony.
At least you have access to it. I’m in the queue of despair. Always remember - there is always someone worse off than yourself (something my mother said before I trudged to school in my Adidas wish-they-were’s 😂)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Some of these challenges are borderline stupid and not worth the time. Before I get dogpiled, I know it's an opt in service and serves no real value. I just don't see me really caring about this unless you can earn some sort of monetary/tangible item out of it.

My precious gaming time is limited as it is, there is no way I am booting up these games just to collect meaningless digital items. If it gave you some coins, then maybe, but for a digital Sony Chord Machine, I don't think so.

In order to solve the Hit Play/1994 Campaign in PS Stars you'll need to play six different games based on the following clues. The solutions are listed below:

ClueSolution
Stay x Circle of LifeReturnal
Baby I Love Your Way x Go WestDeath Stranding
Mr Jones x RegulateUncharted 4: A Thief's End
More Human Than HumanDetroit: Become Human
Wild NightUntil Dawn
Streets of PhiladelphiaHeavy Rain
I don’t own any of these either never have or played and sold on. So I cannot do this one.

But hang on, if I pay more and take out a Essential or Premium subscription, I have access to all these instantly.

Agree nobody is forcing you to but great stealth ‘pay us more’ move to unlock this trophy.

nocsi

Missed an opportunity to offer something special, a physical reward of some kind would be nice and unique.
They probably will eventually but it’s a new program. If it’s like PlayStation access, they gave out free games like Arc the Lad and other random apparel

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They probably will eventually but it’s a new program. If it’s like PlayStation access, they gave out free games like Arc the Lad and other random apparel

I'm not really into the whole challenges scene, but I was just thinking that maybe people who are would love a really nice little PlayStation trophy for the shelf for every year they complete X number of challenges. Or maybe one for that specific game. Heck, they could probably even charge $5 and shipping, but only those who complete the challenges could get them.

Fox Mulder

This is still a pretty shit program months later. Just endless digital collectibles and dumb missions like play mortal kombat 11 every month. Even a challenge to play a sports game that says step up to the plate doesn’t include their own mlb the show.

I only noticed it because I triggered one challenge and it popped up on my phone.

dotnotbot

Erm it’s a great program , regularly getting voucher codes for PSN probably have 20/30 quid to put towards Diablo 4. Can’t scoff at that.
Even if you don't buy anything off PS Store, you can get 50 points each month just for launching one of the games from Essential.

Last edited:
This is still a pretty shit program months later. Just endless digital collectibles and dumb missions like play mortal kombat 11 every month. Even a challenge to play a sports game that says step up to the plate doesn’t include their own mlb the show.

I only noticed it because I triggered one challenge and it popped up on my phone.
Really? I barely tried doing much of anything and have got 20€ already lmao. Imagine if i tried...

jm89

In the UK combine the discounted psn credit from places like shopto and use your reward points to get wallet funds and you end up saving a decent amount on digital purchases.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder if this is a Trojan horse to bring NFTs to PlayStation?

Get people hooked on this the way they are with Trophies, and then introduce the ability to buy/sell them.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Ah man. I only have 806 points. You need at least 1,250 points to get the $5 off. And 5,000 points to get the $20 off.

Top Bottom