• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone Came into my Apartment while I was Sleeping

bitbydeath

Could you move or were you paralysed while they were in the room?

images

nush

Gold Member
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

sorry OP, cool story, but i think you're full of shit 🤷‍♂️

"I literally see some guy crouched over next to my bed in my room using his flashlight on his phone to peer through my window."

So was the intruder NEXT to his bed in the room or Outside peering in? I'm pretty sure the would not have been flashing his light outside of the apartment so he could be seen by someone passing.

After some more thought, he was probably at the window signalling to someone with his phone light. You probably interrupted an impending bigger home invasion or robbery when you woke up. Definitely get things done ASAP to secure your place.

The phone he typed this on is probably worth more than a gun. He's also on a video game board, so chances are he has electronics that are also worth more than the average gun and are way easier to pawn.
After thinking about it more, I also think it was some type of signaling, why else would he be aiming his light outside the window. My roommate is on his way back now to make sure none of his stuff was taken (his door had been opened when it was closed the entire weekend/night before). Also when I was hunkered down outside my friend's door/patio, there was surprisingly a lot of activity (walking/talking) after 3am from some sketchy sounding characters. We ordered a ring doorbell as a starting point. This situation has really shaken me up badly I've never felt this way before - while I was asleep the person could’ve literally ended me...it clearly seems the person didn’t want any violence/just a quiet robbery. I’ll get over it at some point hopefully. And I do have a lot of valuable items - expensive monitor, pc with 3090, all the next gen consoles, etc. All of these would’ve caused some sound and it’s really surprising they didn’t take anything, perhaps the flashlight was a signal they could’ve moved it all quietly with more people. Luckily I’m messy enough that wallet/keys were under some blankets on the couch, those would’ve been easy items to take and probably what they were looking for.

Contacted landlord and she came to make sure locks were okay. Not sure what else they can do but she assured me they’ll be on the lookout and to feel “safe”

Also tried calling police burlgar tip line and left voicemail.

"I literally see some guy crouched over next to my bed in my room using his flashlight on his phone to peer through my window."

So was the intruder NEXT to his bed in the room or Outside peering in? I'm pretty sure the would not have been flashing his light outside of the apartment so he could be seen by someone passing.
Literally next to the bed. Like I’m on my mattress sleeping on my back, I wake up, look past my feet and there is a young man crouched next to my window with him aiming his phone in the small opening where the blinds didn’t cover the entire window. The guy was probably not older than 25, style looked like 18-22 to me. African American, had a mustache, a semi afro, thin, regular shirt/shorts - definitely didn’t look like a homeless person either

Winter John

Ask around your neighbors if they've seen anyone matching his description. No doubt it's some local scumbag. Most likely an ex tenant or he knows someone who lives there. It's probably wise to invest in a pitbull. If I lived in a city that would be my first purchase.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Get a rod to stop the patio door from opening (if it is one if those sliding ones) and make sure you have deadbolts that can't be opened from the outside.

You can get portable motion sensors that make a dog bark, you can probably cover all the entry points with one and activate it when you go to bed.

Seems unlikely they will be back. If these guys wanted to pull a home invasion you would be dead now. They want an easy score and now they know you will be paranoid for months.

Mossybrew

Then he started moving his flashlight over my bed towards me until he got to see my face with my eyes open. I just calmly say “hey what’s up man”. I can see his eyebrows rise, lines on his forehead probably because he was shocked that I was awake.

I'm sorry I know that if this really happened it was a very stressful moment in your life, but this was a really funny.

Peggies

Gold Member
"... some guy crouched over next to my bed in my room using his flashlight on his phone to peer through my window."

I don't get it. Why was he peering through your window from the inside?
Was he stalking someone in the bulding vis-a-vis and your apartment was the perfect spot for it?

lol @ get a gun... Americans, just get a fucking baseball bat and keep it beside your bed along with one of those torches that can illuminate the moon, that way if it happens again you can blind the cunt then whack him instead of offloading bullets everywhere killing your neighbours and some local cat
I wouldn’t keep a baseball bat beside my bed; you’d have to hide it in a decent enough spot to not be noticeable, but where it could be easily grabbed. If you didn’t hide it the intruder could just easily grab it first or while you’re asleep.

It’s a lot easier to hide a handgun in such a manner and having a gun is more of a deterrent than a guaranteed discharge. If someone invaded your house open your nightstand drawer and get your gun. Telling someone you have a gun is probably enough to scare them off unless they were already prepared with their own gun and the intent to resort to using it already.

I personally have a gun and a baseball bat. But the bat is hidden and really there for my wife while I grab the gun if any such incident were to happen. I hope it never does, but when it comes to guns I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Buy a gun, learn to use it properly, keep it readily accessible while you sleep, sleep like a baby. After a few close calls living in the Bay Area, I refuse to feel helpless or like a victim in my own home.

Key is to learn your weapon. A gun is just a machine or like any other tool. Learn to use it and you'll have no accidents. Problem is inexperienced people buy one, not knowing a thing about them and then accidentally hurt themselves or someone else..

Last edited:

Romulus

Taurus Judge with Federal 000 buckshot. One shot equals four .380 rounds in a tight group at 10 yards. It's highly lethal at short and even medium ranges.

Less lethal option with less penetration? Load it with birdshot. Close range will fucking terrify someone. You can even get rubber pellets.

It also fires regular .45 rounds too and you can mix and match within the same load.

Just the sound alone of a fucking shotgun going off inside a house is nightmarish, and make no mistake it's a pistol shotgun.

Last edited:
I love reading peoples explanation on what gun to use when they have no clue what they are legally allowed to do. Just a few months ago we had a youtuber fire a warning shot up in the air....in his own front yard because a guy was harrasing him to get out and he got jailed. So any of you thinking you can just shoot up the place at any situation, think twice before you hit the slammer for next 10 years. If the "intruder" doesnt have a weapon and you shot him...say goodbye Hollywood. Also the guy is renting the apt....what is this a Matrix movie, where you jsut shoot up the whole place like some cartoon. Fire a shotgun inside a room...wtf are you people talking about lol. "Self defense" in movies is not the same as in real life. You got about ohhhh I donno, 50 different reasons in the law book to tell you why you shouldn't have done that and it will be you who gets fucked.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That was scary...

My question is how can he get into your apartment unchecked..

Security there must be awful...

Nice of you not to do any sudden moves..

Any instantanious moves and he might act differently.... and if he carried a gun/knives..well.. im afraid things might get alot worse for you..

My recomendation is you need to move somewhere else..

But if you cant afford that..make sure to improve the security...

Last edited:

th4tguy

Sounds like this guy overheard your friend saying he was going to be out of town that weekend and didn't realize there would be someone else there.

Whenever I hear these stories it reminds me of the time my roommate stumbled home drunk, stripped naked and passed out in bed. Unfortunately he entered the wrong apartment and the bed he flopped into had the current tennant (a girl) sound asleep. Screaming, cops, etc later and he winds up back at his real apartment to sleep it off. Cant imagine how that would have turned out if she had a gun.

Anyways, lock up your place when you are done for the night. Doubt this guy would have risked breaking a window in an apartment to get into your place. Ask the landlord to change the locks.

Thats not a nice thing to say to a traumatized person

Have some dignity and respect

Seriously thats a fucked up thing to say at this situation

The hell is wrong with you

Only fckd up person with lack of empathy or social reject would say something like this on this situation

I mean in real life, sure. You'd be a huge dickhead to say that to someone telling you this story. But we're on the internet.

Kev Kev

Thats not a nice thing to say to a traumatized person

Have some dignity and respect

Seriously thats a fucked up thing to say at this situation

The hell is wrong with you

Only fckd up person with lack of empathy or social reject would say something like this on this situation
And what makes you so sure he is telling the truth? He could be lying just as easily as he is telling the truth and none of us would know the difference.

I have just as much reason to not believe as OP as you do to believe OP

The way he explained the story, the details used (and not used), how everything played out, what he did and didn’t do... just the whole thing smells like bullshit to me. You can just tell when people are making up a story for attention, and something about the way he is laying this story out to us just sounds like a big, huge, stinky lie. I don’t understand why people do stuff like this, but I’ve been around the block with liars and fakers quite a few times, and I’m pretty sure OP is telling stories.

The replies he has had to users and the way he is/isn’t defending himself isn’t helping either. The dude made up a story to get attention or because he is one of those weird pathological liars, I dunno exactly how to explain it but I have a huge hunch that he is lying.

Way to attack me for nothing though, dick.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
And what makes you so sure he is telling the truth? He could be lying just as easily as he is telling the truth and none of us would know the difference.

I have just as much reason to not believe as OP as you do to believe OP

The way he explained the story, the details used (and not used), how everything played out, what he did and didn’t do... just the whole thing smells like bullshit to me. You can just tell when people are making up a story for attention, and something about the way he is laying this story out to us just sounds like a big, huge, stinky lie. I don’t understand why people do stuff like this, but I’ve been around the block with liars and fakers quite a few times, and I’m pretty sure OP is telling stories.

The replies he has had to users and the way he is/isn’t defending himself isn’t helping either. The dude made up a story to get attention or because he is one of those weird pathological liars, I dunno exactly how to explain it but I have a huge hunch that he is lying.

Way to attack me for nothing though, dick.
So everytime people made a threat here about having missfortune such as robery / parents dead from cancer/ getting broke /fired from jobs/divorce/leuchemic child

Your first assumption is those mustve been a fake story yes?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

So everytime people made a threat here about having missfortune about robery / parents dead from cancer/ getting broke /divorce/leuchemic child

Your first assumption is those mustve be a fake story?
False equivalencies

Fuck off with that, get on my level dude

I said I have a big hunch and I simply don’t believe his story. You can believe it all you want but I’m not the one being a prick here. You are.

Airbus Jr

Banned
False equivalencies

Fuck off with that, get on my level dude

I said I have a big hunch and I simply don’t believe his story. You can believe it all you want but I’m not the one being a prick here. You are.
Get on my level?

Let me tell you something if youre constantly having trouble with peoples maybe youre the one with trust issue my friend

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Get on my level

Let me tell you something if youre consantly having trouble with peoples maybe youre the one with trust issue my friend
Except I’m not constantly having trouble with with peoples

Answer me this: what makes you so sure he is telling the truth?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Except I’m not constantly having trouble with with peoples

Answer me this: what makes you so sure he is telling the truth?
So your solution when we encounter people here on gaf sharing their personal story is to question their story and declare it as fake no matter what

Because that should help the community thrive and prosper as a whole

Is that what youre suggesting? If so i sincerely apologise for the mistake ive done

Last edited:
Top Bottom