• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone Reccomend me a Typical Fantasy Novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something where the underdog hero overcomes all the odds to everyones surprise and becomes a warrior, all the while getting it on with the princess type girl whom he hated in the beginning. Like the prydain chronicles.

Anything resembling that plot would be nice :)

Try a Tad William's Memory,Sorrow, & Thorn series.

I think it's mediocre, but that seems to be what you are asking for, so there ya go.

Kuramu

A Spell for Chameleon

edit... got the name wrong

n2686.jpg

FnordChan

Just a note, if you read A Spell for Chameleon, for the love of all that is holy make sure you stop there. Piers Anthony went on to crap out about a million Xanth novels, and while the first is perfectly decent, it's all downhill from there.

FnordChan

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Get Robert Jordan's Eye of the World (then read the rest!!!) Not typical but damn good!

DarkAngyl

Yeah they went to hell real fast after Chameleon. I'd say the first three are ok, but after that they get downright goofy.

My first reccomendation for fantasy is always going to be A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin. That really doesn't fit the standard fantasy mold.

Something closer to what you are looking for are:

David Eddings-Belgariad (5 books) and if you like that there is The Mallorian (also 5 books). Very typical fantasy that follows the tried and true format. Characterization is pretty good, and the stories are interesting. Eddings does tend to write the same story over and over so if you read the Belgariad you aren't going to be shocked by any of his other series.

I'd also reccomend The Sword of Truth novels. Fairly standard, but with some nice twists here and there. Goodkind doesn't shy away from more adult themes in his books either. Each book is self contained yet still part of a story arc. Waiting for the next book isn't maddening like some other authors...I'm looking at you Martin and at you Jordan. ;)

And while this is nothing like typical fantasy, read Stephen King's Dark Tower books. You'll love 'em. :)

DarkAngyl said:
David Eddings-Belgariad (5 books) and if you like that there is The Mallorian (also 5 books). Very typical fantasy that follows the tried and true format. Characterization is pretty good, and the stories are interesting. Eddings does tend to write the same story over and over so if you read the Belgariad you aren't going to be shocked by any of his other series.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

I really enjoyed the entire 'Belgariad', but it really is meant to be an enriched take on the standard fantasy epic. All of the things asked for at the start of the thread happen, but the Eddings' do a great job of infusing warm and witty dialogue into it. Every page may not be original, but the characters seem to behave with common sense that even the heavyweight series lack from time to time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd definitely recommend most of what's been mentioned already but there was one by Silverberg that came to mind too: Lord Valentine's Castle. I haven't read this in years but I remember it being a great read. Its a bit of a twist on what you're asking for but still fits the bill nicely, I think.

John Christopher's The White Mountains Trilogy (actually he recently authored a fourth book, a prequel, making it a quadrilogy). Would love to see these series made as a movie trilogy (you could definitely cut down 4 books to 3 movies, in fact perhaps even two movies).

Woops, you said fantasy, not sci-fi. Still, a great series of books!

Actually, if you like fantasy comedy, try the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Funny stuff. :)

Blackace said:
Get Robert Jordan's Eye of the World (then read the rest!!!) Not typical but damn good!

you must hate me or something :p....i have read all 10 books and well lets just say the last few were all CRAP and yet i cant stop reading just cause i wanna see how it ends. Fucking robert Jordan he has so many open threads which arent even close to being resolved.

Thx guys will look for all your reccomendations today at chapters and i will get the ones with the best covers. Thnx alot.

FnordChan

Kabuki Waq said:
Thx guys will look for all your reccomendations today at chapters and i will get the ones with the best covers.

Well, good luck with that.

FnordChan, who seconds the Myth recommendation

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DarkAngyl said:
I'd also reccomend The Sword of Truth novels. Fairly standard, but with some nice twists here and there. Goodkind doesn't shy away from more adult themes in his books either. Each book is self contained yet still part of a story arc. Waiting for the next book isn't maddening like some other authors...I'm looking at you Martin and at you Jordan. ;)

Goodkind's book are pretty good... the first one does feel like a wheel of time rip off but after that they start to have an identity of their own

FnordChan said:

Well, good luck with that.

FnordChan, who seconds the Myth recommendation

just joking im gonna try the Belgariad books. see how they are. I like the Amazon reviews seems to be just what i am looking for. I dont wanna deal with Politics in Fantasy novels right now. Too much of that with Martin and Jordan's books already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom