• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something about Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms I've played

daywarf

Bought at the first day, on Steam. This is my first review here.
It’s a ARPG covered the CRPG skin. (And You’d better forget your K/B and use a controller. Fk.)
I’ve been caught since I first saw the trailer a few days ago, thinking it maybe a souls&diablo-like open world game or another “Baldur’s Ring”. But when I got into the game,I found it wasn't what I thought it was.

I will give 8/10 for the graphics and artwork because they do be perfect for this game which is trying to be a homage to the nostalgia of classical fantasy.
Each race(hum, elf, dwarf, orc) you can play has his own birthcity with their own style, just like what it should be. Can’t find anything wrong even you are a big fan of those classic fantasy board game.(And they do have a well-done job on background).
1.jpg

(This is a square of dwarfs‘ somewhere)

If you zoom out, you'll kind of get the impression that you're looking at a more 'hand-painted' scene and think about it’s everywhere. That’s amazing! (my wx4150 graphics makes it look not so cool).
The NPCs and Buildings fail me somehow. I thought they should be interactivity but they aren’t, only those with specific functions are interactable. The game is from a little studio so it’s acceptable, but I still feel disappointed.

As I said it’s souls-like, the combat is pretty good. You can avoid/guard just like in Nioh or dark souls or something. Sometime it seems like Monster hunter as well. As an early access game, the combat system itself feels fluid and impactful which is incredibly perfect. You really feel the weight of your attacks. (Remember: turn off your screenshake in Option! There is too much!). They control the pace of actions to perfection which is so cool to fight. I mean, if possible, “I can do this all day.”
Untitled--Made-with-FlexClip-2.gif

M&B part:
2.jpg

move your flag to where to go, find the enemy and the you’ll into a zone as the fight area.

However, bad things still there.

You will find that you have to face more than three or even a dozen enemies at the same time. Neither evasion nor blocking can save your ass. All you can do is run and run until the enemies scatter as they chase you, then you turn back to "touch" them few times till they regroup. Loop and loop again until it’s over. It sucks.

QQ20220707165518.png

Image it, you are facing such a number of skeletons in Dark Souls or something like that, in a limited area…NO WAY BUT H&R. I’m not a noob(with DS, MH, Sekiro experience), facing such a number of hands, but I still can’t find out anyway other,(no skills at the beginning.)with the bounties still poor at the same time.

The bosses in dungeon are too aggressive just like lunatic(If offended, apologize). They never stop. No open windows to attack, dodging is the most useful way to survive. They do be cool but also sucked. You die, you revival, without everything you’ve gotten in this dungeon.(like a rogue-lite game)

5.png

(The Shadow Crawier)

The number of quests made me excited once, But they are almost entirely composed of standard MMO-style busy work such as fetch quests and kill x goblins with uninteresting flavor text. (still few, such as a fakebard part). Not much point other than to get gold coins. Luckily, coins are important here.

This game has no experience point system, not like most APRGs. The only way you can learn the skills is clearing the dungeons(1point with 2 dungeons called FAs in game)
6.png

you can have only 4 skills, from a set of 36 options.

7.png

You have limited attributes.

The power scaling is essentially flat; that is to say, your starting sword has damage in the same ballpark as your end-game sword. Numbers don't bloat as your progress. You have to use items and armors to suit you up. Prepare everything before you go out.
Old school fashion, I love this.

Backpack&armors Parts:

8.png

About durability. As you see, 2/3 on pic means it can hold 3 fights totally, and I’ve used one chance.Every fight cost one, including FA or normal fight on Map, as long as you suit it up. All armors are like this. You need to go back to citytown and find the blacksimith for repairing, which costs almost hundreds coins. Most coins comes from selling loot. Some quests will give you thousands but no so many.
About the items. You can see the pockets on the rightdown of the pic. There are four but just means you can take only four items(like health potions) in one fight! The backpack can’t be opened in fight which means you can’t recover in other ways. You may gain the skill but it can be used a few times in one fight as well. Practice or sucked. Good luck.

The texts in game are not bad. I’ve not read all of them(of course it’s impossible.), but as far as I can see, they are good enough. There are many interesting books too. “May stones bless you”, hahaha.

Overall, give this game a chance if you're a fan of Baldur's Gate, Pillars of eternity, Divinity original sin 2, Diablo 2. Alaloth is indeed a one-of-a-kind game, which shall be the beautiful cool gem.

——————

It's still in EA, maybe what I said has been fixed by latest patches.
There are bugs anyway; don't buy if you think it's unacceptable. However, If you want to have a try, remember, a controller will make the game better but still KB can be used and I did see many guys said so in steam community.

Add:
All the info you need in one place

Last edited:
Top Bottom