• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 2 Movie: April 8, 2022

Fake

fDzzY7e.png

Groundbreaking. Thought provoking. Extremely obvious. Presenting the official title of the #SonicMovie sequel: Sonic the Hedgehog 2! Catch #SonicMovie2 in theatres in 2022.

The world’s favorite blue hedgehog is back for a next-level adventure in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2. After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is eager to prove he has what it takes to be a true hero. His test comes when Dr. Robotnik returns, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to destroy civilizations. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on a globe-trotting journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands. From the filmmakers behind The Fast and the Furious and Deadpool, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 stars James Marsden, Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic, Tika Sumpter, Natasha Rothwell, Adam Pally, and Jim Carrey returning, alongside new additions Shemar Moore, with Idris Elba as the voice of Knuckles, and Colleen O'Shaughnessey as the voice of Tails.

Last edited:

Jeeves

...Depending on how much they lean into Sonic Adventure 2 references, I might actually watch it. That's some potent nostalgia for me.

SinDelta

This and Detective Pikachu show there is hope a amazing video game movie can be made.

Tomb Raider 1 was good.

Prince of Persia, Silent Hill were ok.

Assassins Creed focused way too much on the present day. Tomb Raider reboot was meh.

Last edited:

BlackTron

...Depending on how much they lean into Sonic Adventure 2 references, I might actually watch it. That's some potent nostalgia for me.

I can appreciate some Sonic Adventure 2 as well, but the teaser is already leaning in hard on Sonic 2 which to me is the most tantalizing play they could make.

I just picked up the Sega Ages version of Sonic 2 on sale. It's my favorite in the series, and playing it in handheld mode reminds me of playing Sonic on Game Gear (that wide form factor). Being in that state of mind, their use of the Emerald Hill music and two tails in this trailer was utterly devastating.

Sonic 2 was such a simple purist old school sequel in EVERY way, down to the marketing. The two tails, signifying second character, second player, second game. Dr. Robotnik squeezing the giant 2. This was Sonic the Hedgehog Fucking 2. There's a lot for the movie to borrow from the way Sonic 2 presented itself as the ultimate sequel lol.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Adventure 2 is too far down the timeline for this. That would be like expecting Avengers after the first Iron Man just came out. They need to build up to characters like Shadow the Hedgehog.

This is going to be a Sonic and Tails(with possible Knuckles) movie and I'm fully ok with that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Adventure 2 is too far down the timeline for this. That would be like expecting Avengers after the first Iron Man just came out. They need to build up to characters like Shadow the Hedgehog.

This is going to be a Sonic and Tails(with possible Knuckles) movie and I'm fully ok with that.

Yes lets give it a few movies before bringing in the shitty friends.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yes lets give it a few movies before bringing in the shitty friends.
Where do you draw the line in terms of who you consider the original cast? I draw the line at Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. The 4. Some people don't count Amy though and that's fine, but most consider the chaotix cast, adventure cast, and shadow to be on the "shitty friends" side of the fence.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Where do you draw the line in terms of who you consider the original cast? I draw the line at Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. The 4. Some people don't count Amy though and that's fine, but most consider the chaotix cast, adventure cast, and shadow to be on the "shitty friends" side of the fence.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles. Anyone beyond that is a shitty friend.

Jeeves

I can appreciate some Sonic Adventure 2 as well, but the teaser is already leaning in hard on Sonic 2 which to me is the most tantalizing play they could make.

I just picked up the Sega Ages version of Sonic 2 on sale. It's my favorite in the series, and playing it in handheld mode reminds me of playing Sonic on Game Gear (that wide form factor). Being in that state of mind, their use of the Emerald Hill music and two tails in this trailer was utterly devastating.

Sonic 2 was such a simple purist old school sequel in EVERY way, down to the marketing. The two tails, signifying second character, second player, second game. Dr. Robotnik squeezing the giant 2. This was Sonic the Hedgehog Fucking 2. There's a lot for the movie to borrow from the way Sonic 2 presented itself as the ultimate sequel lol.
Man, you're right about the marketing emphasizing the 2. Back when sequels were an exciting surprise, and not just an expected inevitability (speaking about popular culture in general). That's cool.

Personally, Sonic Adventure 2 is the only Sonic game I like, so that's what gets my attention. For this it seems like they're referencing both it and Sonic 2 so far.

I'd like to clarify that I'm only talking about sprinkling in references and maybe borrowing some locales, not just using SA2's story wholesale. Despite what I thought in my preteens, the game's story wasn't all that great hahaha.

First one was legit good. Didn't expect much after the HORRIBLE first pass at the sonic character design but thank god they fixed it. Really looking forward to part 2.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I keep trying to watch the movie because I've always loved Sonic, even outside the games, but I can't get past the first half hour. I'm sure the voice actor is doing a good job, but I just can't get on with this characterization of Sonic. He sort of annoys me. He isn't cool like Sonic was in the older games or 90's cartoons.

Algan

These attempts to produce movies based on video games are always frustrating in the end. I hope it at least has some interesting special effects.

pacman-012201.jpg

Last edited:
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles. Anyone beyond that is a shitty friend.
to me, the only shitty sonic characters are the deadly six (lame Bowser and the Koopalings ripoff) and to a lesser extent (Infinite, cool design and premise, poorly executed)
The Chaotix have a great dynamic and are overall great comic relief, what a likable trio.
Big is cute, and Gamma is an amazing deconstruction of the series' premise (it takes saving little animals from turning into robots and makes it truly existencial).
Cream is cute and she is extremly overpowered in those advance games
Shadow is a genuinly well written character with actual development, and manages to be more than just an edgelord, 06 despite how messy that game's plot is, and SA2 are his best interpretation, as shadow is willing to sacrifice himself for humanity, contrary to what he started as.
Blaze is great too, a little more underrated and less utilized than Shadow, a more cold, introverted character that opens up as the story goes on is always great.
Omega is badass, and so is Rouge, even if the later is a bit fanservicy, it's atleast better than what most modern anime have, and more subtle, that same non-subtle subtlety you'd see in a classic gainax anime.
Amy while she can get annoying, she can also be funny at times, it's a matter of being used to seeing anime tropes and humor, and when she isn't thirsting for sonic, she can be likable. her classic design was cute to.
and those are just the newer characters.
Tails, Knuckles and even Sonic have been given more depth than just basic stereotypes, and it's the wide range of characters, lore and expanded world that make me preffer Sonic over Mario, even if his games aren't always polsihed.

These attempts to produce movies based on video games are always frustrating in the end. I hope it at least has some interesting special effects.

pacman-012201.jpg
dude, the first Sonic Movie was well recieved, and a finantial success, (even if i don't agree with it) there's a reason why their making a sequel in the first place.

Banned

pacman-012201.jpg

I liked the first one for what it was. definitely one of the better VideoGame movies out there. it would have ben a catastrophe if they went with the original design tho, since a lot of the movie only works with Sonic being somewhat cute... which the original version was not... unless you think nightmarish monsters are cute

gamer82

I doubt it he was seen back in his black outfit again in one of the recent clips. Always black what is it with movie company’s lol

Rockondevil

Gold Member
First one was pretty good I though, probably wouldn't have been so with the original Sonic design.
But honestly Jim Carrey is enough to sell me a ticket.

nkarafo

I draw the line at Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. These were in the original Mega Drive trilogy (Sonic 3 & Knuckles counts as one game). These were also the peak of Sonic games. Everything after that went downhill and don't really matter.

The Chaotix have a great dynamic and are overall great comic relief, what a likable trio.
Big is cute, and Gamma is an amazing deconstruction of the series' premise (it takes saving little animals from turning into robots and makes it truly existencial).
Cream is cute and she is extremly overpowered in those advance games
Shadow is a genuinly well written character with actual development, and manages to be more than just an edgelord, 06 despite how messy that game's plot is, and SA2 are his best interpretation, as shadow is willing to sacrifice himself for humanity, contrary to what he started as.
Blaze is great too, a little more underrated and less utilized than Shadow, a more cold, introverted character that opens up as the story goes on is always great.
Omega is badass, and so is Rouge, even if the later is a bit fanservicy, it's atleast better than what most modern anime have, and more subtle, that same non-subtle subtlety you'd see in a classic gainax anime.
Amy while she can get annoying, she can also be funny at times, it's a matter of being used to seeing anime tropes and humor, and when she isn't thirsting for sonic, she can be likable. her classic design was cute to.
and those are just the newer characters.
Tails, Knuckles and even Sonic have been given more depth than just basic stereotypes, and it's the wide range of characters, lore and expanded world that make me preffer Sonic over Mario, even if his games aren't always polsihed.
Damn, who are all these characters? The franchise really went downhill after they started focusing on "lore" and "character development". I can't imagine anyone over 6 years old caring about the backstory of these characters.

The only story that matters is Robotnik is bad, wants to make all animals into robots. Sonic is good, wants to stop him. The End.

Last edited:
I draw the line at Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. These were in the original Mega Drive trilogy (Sonic 3 & Knuckles counts as one game). These were also the peak of Sonic games. Everything after that went downhill and don't really matter.

Damn, who are all these characters? The franchise really went downhill after they started focusing on "lore" and "character development". I can't imagine anyone over 6 years old caring about the backstory of these characters.

The only story that matters is Robotnik is bad, wants to make all animals into robots. Sonic is good, wants to stop him. The End.
Repeating the same story over and over again gets incredibly boring, with the same 4 characters, and only 2 classic sonic games were about that anyways, Sonic 1 & Sonic 3D Blast (and the latter added some lore), Sonic 2 was about Sonic trying to stop Eggman from launching a deadly totally not a starwars ripoff weapon to space, 3&K was about Knuckles being tricked by Eggman, so Eggman could relaunch said weapon to space, that game also added a ton of lore that would be expanded upon in Sonic Adventure, such as the Echidna Tribe or the Master Emerald, Sonic CD was about Sonic traveling trough time to save a magical planet from getting taken over, and also there's a Metallic counterpart who kidnapped Sonic's number 1 fangirl, Amy, i could go onto the Game Gear games and some of the other spinoffs but you get the point.

Sonic always had this "anime"-esque edge, and i think character development and lore is part of what makes sonic stand out from mario and other platformers, with only Megaman, Kirby and the PS2 era Sony Mascots coming close, and i mean, the series had some very obvious inspirations by anime like Dragon Ball, and an overall Shonen structure, while i don't mind Mario using a formula, i think it got incredibly boring by the time the New Super Mario Bros. games came out, that's why they started spicing it up with more story elements in Sunshine and Galaxy, or even more experimental games like Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins or the RPG's, and i honestly wish Mario gets more experimental again like in the Gamecube & DS era or those Gameboy games, wich Sonic fullfils, by being very experimental even if it doesn't always work.

my point is there's nothing wrong with things changing, afterall Sonic was already leaning for this since arguably Sonic 2, with Sonic 3 & Knuckles and CD starting the more cinematic style over the arcade-ish style of 1 & 2.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned

I can tell you haven't been in the fandom at ALL if you think the Sonic fandom since the 2000s does not care about Sonic's friends + lore, lol. Just because the franchise supersedes your expectations of it doesn't mean it took a bad direction. Why are retro fanboys like this...

stickkidsam

I can tell you haven't been in the fandom at ALL if you think the Sonic fandom since the 2000s does not care about Sonic's friends + lore, lol. Just because the franchise supersedes your expectations of it doesn't mean it took a bad direction. Why are retro fanboys like this...
To be fair, I’ve always had a love for the cast and even I don’t give a shit about them. In the comics I do but on the gaming side most of the friends/lore have been handled with all the care and attention of a trash compactor.

GrayFoxPL

Liked the first one. Jim Carey went on full force as Dr. Robotnik, which I loved also saved himself career!

Sonicmovie GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

I hope that in sequel we get to see Sonic and Miles in Green Hill Zone or another level!
Sonic Movie GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

nkarafo

Sorry but Sonic took a very bad direction after the Mega Drive games. Heavy focus on a children's cartoon narrative, tons of extra shitty characters, Sonic talking like an edgy teenager, janky 3D games, worse physics than the older games, etc. What else do you want me to tell you? Why are Sonic fanboys like this...

Kholinar

Banned
Heavy focus on a children's cartoon narrative,
Sonic actually has more content focused on a more mature tone than it does an explicitly puerile one. SA2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06, Unleashed, Secret Rings, and Black Knight are all fairly serious stories with themes adults can identify with. Even the comics, such as Fleetway and Archie, are serious, and so was the original anime Sonic X JP dub. Things only really started getting childish when Ken and Pontac were writing the games during the 2010s, which most Sonic fans regard as the worst decade for Sonic by far.

tons of extra shitty characters
Sonic's secondary cast being egregiously bad is rather overblown. Only the Chaotix fit that categorization, IMO. Most of them just suffer from depreciation by disuse, commonly by becoming cheerleaders for Sonic during the final battle. Aside from a certain character, the IDW comics show them in a very palatable light compared to how they're written in the games (post-2010, at least).

Sonic talking like an edgy teenager
That was Sonic's whole shtick in the 90s, wasn't it? The cool, spunky rodent with an attitude to counter the comparatively plain Mario?

janky 3D games
The boost games aren't really janky, nor are games like SA2 or Heroes. Other than that, I'm inclined to agree with you, yeah.
worse physics than the older games,
Sonic Mania says hello.

Top Bottom