• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 2 Movie: April 8, 2022

fart town usa

Gold Member
First movie is legit entertaining and downright funny at times. Best thing Sonic has been attached to in decades.

It's weird to actually look forward to a Sonic movie, lol.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

'Blue Justice' arrives in this latest trailer for the upcoming movie, Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is eager to prove he has what it takes to be a true hero. His test comes when Dr. Robotnik returns, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to destroy civilizations. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on a globe-trotting journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 stars James Marsden, Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic, Tika Sumpter, Natasha Rothwell, Adam Pally, Jim Carrey, Shemar Moore, Idris Elba as the voice of Knuckles, and Colleen O'Shaughnessey as the voice of Tails.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 opens in theaters on April 8, 2022.

Saber

Gold Member
It depends on what you expect.

Do you expect a kids movie regarding a Super fast Blue Hedgehog and Jim Carrie. Then it's great. Otherwise it might feel a bit stupid and juvenile.

Its not on the same level of recent Disney movies and Disney wannabe movies though. Its pretty tame in most of its humor.

McCheese

Sonic 2 impressions sound really positive.

Can someone confirm if the post credit scene is Obama talking about chaos emeralds?

Last edited by a moderator:

SumJester

Question since the movie is calling him dr Robotnick again, can we hope for the games to go back to that?

Eggman fucking sucks.
First movie used both names actually. Sonic liked to call humans food-based nicknames. Take a wild guess what he calls Robotnik.

On the games question. The man's real name is still Robotnik lore-wise, so Sega can use the name all it wants any moment they wish so (and they did an handful of times after the Dreamcast actually)

Now if they are going back to the brainchild of American manual writers full time instead of the actual Sonic Team creation, seems unlikey. Your hope is that the movie lessens SOJ grip on the issue.

This old fart personally likes Eggman too actually. There's a reason the original design makes him look like an Walrus, i dig that kind of artistic sensibilities more than the "toy comercial" mentality in american 90s marketing. But i'm very well aware that's a very rare opinion.

Urban

Saw it today with my nephew ( 7 years old) and he had so much fun!
overall he would say 10/10 but he hated the Human parts of the movie :D

I would give that movie a solid 7,5/10

btw. there is one joke in which i found pretty out of place!?

Human interaction spoiler:
The Black chicks asks if the girl who waxed her(while pointing at her vagina) was also a Fed

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sonic 2 opened in Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand this weekend and grossed $25.5 million from 31 markets, according to Deadline. The movie isn’t set to debut in North America until Friday, April 8.

The markets reportedly represent around half of the movie’s overseas footprint, and Paramount is said to be “delighted” with the results, which are 2% above the original movie in like-for-likes.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was No. 1 in markets such as the UK ($6.4M), France ($5.7M), Australia ($2.8M), Spain ($2.2M/339) and Germany ($2.1M/). Sweden, Czech Republic, Austria, Norway, Belgium, New Zealand, Slovakia and South Africa all also saw No. 1 starts.

SonicJams

As a sonic fan, it was great. Saying that, the dance scene and wedding scene were too long and broke the pace of the movie. Also, this one is more kiddy than the first, which i assume is why it scored a little lower and does for me.

Jim carrey is more crazy this time, which also adds to the kiddiness. His character doesnt take himself too seriously in the last act, which i found kind of ruined the conclusion. Otherwise, killer cgi, story is good and plenty of good action... and knuckles is the fucking bomb.

Fix my gripes, its a 10/10. Otherwise as it is, 7/10.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Saw it a week ago, it was cool.
It feels different compared to the first movie, because this was more of an adventure movie; the first one had more of a buddy comedy vibe.

Fake

Is so out of place the movie being so good in comparison with recent Sonic games. Must be rubyeclipse doing on this.

Can't wait to give a try.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Watched this last night with my son.

Very enjoyable movie with lots of easter eggs. Absolutely loved it. The first movie was great but this was 10 x better in my opinion!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The human stuff just sucked which is why I expect this new one to be much better

I think Jim Carey lift the movie a lot to me. Still, will watch the second one regardless just in respect to this iconic figure in gaming and for all the old memories.

McCheese

Better than the first film, I didn’t mind the wedding stuff as they just condensed all the human plots together into a 20 minute segment rather than have them tag along with Sonic the entire movie.

CGI on the egg man stuff was surprisingly top notch, the robot looked absolutely awesome.

The script was very kiddie, I’m young but felt like I was in the wrong place and watching a child’s movie a few times, it went a bit too close to Alvin and the chipmunks joke territory, but the videogame references saved it for me, you can tell the writers cared.

Gotta go fast being used in context was ballsy

Last edited by a moderator:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 hits theaters on April 8, 2022. Review by Alex Stedman.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 improves upon its predecessor in many ways, while falling short in a few others. It feels more attuned to the Sonic lore than ever before, and fans of the games should have a great time seeing their favorite characters so lovingly recreated on the big screen. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are a ton of fun, as is Jim Carrey’s wonderfully over-the-top reprisal of Dr. Robotnik. It doesn’t quite know how to make its other human characters work, however, and is definitely longer than it needs to be. Still, it’s overall a sweet, funny, and action-packed ride that fully embraces its video game roots.

71 million opening weekend projection. It got an A Cinemascore and 98% fan rating on rottentomatoes. Sonic 2 may have enough legs to beat Warcraft which did about 339 million worldwide.

I thought this was better than the first movie. Looking forward to the third movie and the Knuckles show.

Codes 208

This movie pulled a godzilla king of the monsters for me (in a good way), By focusing on the titular character, it felt like a much more faithful adaptation of the franchise.

The action scenes were fun, Jim Carrey was, once again, excellent as Robotnik, Knuckles and Tails were amazing addition, there was plenty of easter eggs and the climax and post credits scene made me fanout so damn hard

Easily better than the first and possibly the best video game movie out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom