• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers - Announce Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sonic Team presents...Sonic Frontiers, arriving Holiday 2022!

An experience like never before, accelerate to new heights and experience the thrill of high velocity, open-zone freedom. Battle powerful enemies as you speed through the Starfall Islands - landscapes brimming with dense forests, overflowing waterfalls, sizzling deserts and more!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Wow, a Sonic open world game. Whats next? Sonic Souls Roguelite Metroidvania?

Gonna guess almighty god Sonic needs to save his pathetic and utterly useless friends and save the world from certain doom.

Totally gonna work this time, right guys?

Last edited:

Larxia

I'm actually really interested in a sonic open world game, if it's based on environmental challenges and fun exploration with good traversal etc, not a ubi style of open world.
And... I'm a bit mixed? I think it seems to look nice but at the same time it has this generic unreal engine vibe to it.
This scene in particular gave me a "Sonic on unreal engine fan game" feeling:
Fs5DepP.png

Wow, a Sonic open world game. Whats next? Sonic Souls Roguelite Metroidvania?

Gonna guess almighty god Sonic needs to save his pathetic and utterly useless friends and save the world from certain doom.

Totally gonna work this time, right guys?
Like I said before, people are too pessimistic on Sonic. Mario is able to attempt many different genre's and noone bats an eye. Just because a genre is everywhere doesn't make it bad either, Sonic's speed lands perfectly in an Open World setting. Ironically people being so cynical and pessimistic are only enforcing the Sonic Cycle.because the Sonic Cycle everyone knows isn't even a thing. Sonic haters will obviously say the game sucks before we even got some gameplay (panning shots aren't gameplay) and Sonic fans are more cautious than everyone thinks.

Of course you had to bring up "TEH SANIC HAVE SHITTY FRIENDS AMIRITE?" crap, they offer tons of storytelling potential, they did a lot of things in the older games and kept the series friends. they're only useless because people like you keep whinning about them. despite being aimed at american audiences, Sonic is japanese at heart, and a lot of japanese media like Dragon Ball have ensemble casts, and a lot of the time, they're even more useless than Sonic's. like why don't people complain about everyone in DBZ who isn't Goku, Vegeta, Trunks or Picollo being nothing but background cheerleaders? those are REAL useless friends.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I hear that lapsed gaming mascots with deranged fans getting subtitled cross-gen open world soft reboots is all the rage these days.

Seriously though, just last week I was saying that Sonic could be a really good fit for open world if the execution is on point. One idea was that you needed to be all over the map at the same time so you really abuse Sonic's speed to get all your goals done as fast as possible sort of like Crazy Taxi. It could reward good platforming and feel for it's physics engine.

This trailer reveals nothing though. The presentation while pretty is generic. Doesn't even drop a clue what the game will be like other than open world go fast. Still, I want them to redeem themselves and a lot can happen in a year.

Synless

It looked so good from an level art direction perspective that I don’t believe it possibly has a chance of being good.

Ryu Kaiba

All I wanted was at least one game reveal I could look forward to, so I'm happy. Sonic team said they were gonna take their time with the next Sonic game to make something of higher quality and it looks like it.

Also, According to GameInformer, Ian Flynn, who is known for the later, post-reboot run of the Archie comics, and is currently writting the IDW comics run is going to do the story. which is also great.

Last edited:

Coney

Well at least we know fast travel will be a thing...

Very interested in this direction for Sonic. Seems like a good choice.

Tschumi

I'm not trying to be depressing and negative but, this one looks like a flop in the mail... sonic is not breath of the wild, sonic is not link, sonic is linear and high speed, that footage of him running on a grassy slope at the end is clearly stitched together from random stuff, yeah i'm not too optimistic about this.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic is all about building momentum, so a sandbox design/open world could work great.

this is a fangarme, and while its not much more than a potent demo, the level is build wide and open, giving you a lot of opportunities to try out your abilities.

Like I said before, people are too pessimistic on Sonic. Mario is able to attempt many different genre's and noone bats an eye.

This reads like someone who's trying to ignore Sonic Team's track record for "Modern Sonic" over the past 10 years. Why do you think they'll be able to nail open world when a screw-up of a HD Remaster of a Wii game is fresh on everyone's minds?

Mario's able to spin off into many genres because the fans can trust that once he has a new mainline-entry platforming adventure, the game is going to be comparable in quality to it's predecessors. Sonic doesn't have that consistency, and arguably has had more subpar videogame releases as of late versus good ones.

This reads like someone who's trying to ignore Sonic Team's track record for "Modern Sonic" over the past 10 years. Why do you think they'll be able to nail open world when a screw-up of a HD Remaster of a Wii game is fresh on everyone's minds?

Mario's able to spin off into many genres because the fans can trust that once he has a new mainline-entry platforming adventure, the game is going to be comparable in quality to it's predecessors. Sonic doesn't have that consistency, and arguably has had more subpar videogame releases as of late versus good ones.
The only bad Sonic Team game from 10 years ago was Forces. (Lost World was fine as it's own thing) Colors Ultimate was outsourced to another studio, so was Boom.

3d sonic is almost never good. We'll see.
Fixed it. :messenger_sunglasses:

Nah but seriously, you're absolutely right.
Neh. Sonic had tons of good games after 1994. people are just stupid
But seriously though, Sonic is an overhated series. I think Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, Battle, the Advance trilogy, Riders 1 & 2, the Rush games, original Colors and it's DS version, Generations, and to a lesser extent Lost World were all pretty good.
Hell, I liked 3D Blast, R, Shadow and 4 Episode 2 (Episode 1 sucked)

And that post reads like the usual Sonic trolling. Most of the 3D modern Sonic games made after 06 have been decent to good and to bring up an HD remaster is just lame. Not that Sonic Colors remake was even that bad, but there again I played it on the Series X.

Neh. Sonic had tons of good games after 1994. people are just stupid
But seriously though, Sonic is an overhated series. I think Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, Battle, the Advance trilogy, Riders 1 & 2, the Rush games, original Colors and it's DS version, Generations, and to a lesser extent Lost World were all pretty good.
Hell, I liked 3D Blast, R, Shadow and 4 Episode 2 (Episode 1 sucked)
I liked Revenge of Shinobi and Quackshot far more to any of the Sonic Mega Drive bar Sonic CD (which was rather good) Sonic Adv was ace, but Sonic Adv 2 was such a letdown and disappointment. I've liked most of the 3D games and thought Sonic Gen was stunning. Sonic Forces was a step back but wasn't that bad (just its levels were too short). Looking forward to this, but kind of wished it was coming out at the same time as the film and also hoped to see more gameplay after 4 years of development ;)

Last edited:

SegaShack

Love Sonic (2D though), but where is the gameplay. More footage of fields like the lame stream they did this summer for the anniversary.

Zero gameplay.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Well, if there is one type of game which can show how fast Sonic is, it's an open world one.

I want him to go apeshit and ran run like the fucking Flash in a vast, open field. Make it happen, Sega.

SegaShack

Why can't they have 2D Sonic games always being made like Nintendo did for New Super Mario Bros? The 3D games do nothing for me, besides Generations.

Larxia

Sonic Forces was a step back but wasn't that bad (just its levels were too short)
I think Sonic Forces is mostly "bad" because of its price.

I played it recently for the first time, because I bought the Sonic Bundle on humble bundle, so I got sonic forces for pretty cheap. And I actually totally enjoyed my time on it, it looked nice and it was fun. It is indeed very short, and I would have been super mad if I payed full price for it, you can clearly tell it could have been something much bigger. In its current state I think it should have been priced at something like 20$, like a regular small game.

I think Sonic Forces is mostly "bad" because of its price.

I played it recently for the first time, because I bought the Sonic Bundle on humble bundle, so I got sonic forces for pretty cheap. And I actually totally enjoyed my time on it, it looked nice and it was fun. It is indeed very short, and I would have been super mad if I payed full price for it, you can clearly tell it could have been something much bigger. In its current state I think it should have been priced at something like 20$, like a regular small game.
It's not bad, its just the levels are too short (for me) and it was a set backwards from the amazing Sonic Gen. It was nice enough mind and had some wonderful boss battles too

Except for Sonic 2006, they have all been at least good, often great.

Maybe try playing them?
That's always the way. The ones with the most of say on COD or Sonic games, usually are the ones who don't buy them. I do wonder how good Sonic 06 would have been, if it was actually finished and not broken

LMJ

Sonic in a open world game could be incredible, if done right, and more importantly could finally fix the biggest issue that Sonic Team has run into, HOW to make a great 3D Sonic, yeah Ill say it, there hasn't been a single one that's great, a few good, even a very good (Generations) but not great.

Mario Galaxy/2 is great, Mario Odyssey is great, hell even Bowsers Fury as short as it was is great

If they put the amount of polish the traversal, animations and most importantly make it fun then this could be a game changer for the blue blur.

video games sega GIF

cireza

Banned
I payed full price for it
Game was released at 40$ to begin with, and was a good, fun game. It was also well polished in terms of visuals and production. Levels were short, but there are 30 of them and it is very easy to pick up and play.

Sonic games have always been very diverse and that's fine. Forces is its own thing, just like Unleashed, Generations, Colors or Lost Levels. All good games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom