• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers - Announce Trailer

I mean, I'll give you some credit for putting down Forces where it's due, but saying that about Colors Ultimate sounds like a repeat of Rise of Lyric all over again; Excusing it because it "technically wasn't Sonic Team", as if Sonic Team is some shining beacon that does no wrong in the first place, even though they made both 06 and Forces. Does that seriously NOT ring any alarm bells? You might deny the Sonic cycle, but at the very least there are SOME patterns here.

Also, by that same logic I could exclude Sonic Mania from the "good games" list, but contrary to what you might think, I rather like having good Sonic games, regardless of the developer.
I'm not denying Sonic Team did bad things (06 was 15 years ago anyways), nor I'm denying that Sonic in general needs a good game, I'm just saying that people use 06 and Forces as a sort of excuse to invalidate what little they and the Sonic franchise has been doing right for the last 10 years in order to shove in the "Fans should do EVERYTHING!" narrative that I'm so tired of.
COD Sonic in real world! Aren’t they done with that since 06? Where is the fantasy gone?

Still, i wanna see more.
It's technically not "the real world" (or atleast it wasn't announced yet), but it seems to be going for the "Sonic Adventure" brand of fantasy. which I like.
Lol "Sonic hater"

You act like people don't have any reason to be pessimist about Sonic games as if Sonic didn't have any bad games in last years(Sonic Forces lmfao). Really, the only problem here is do defense work when the game could be any bad yet again. You don't need to sound offended for every person who feel like this gonna be yet another disaster in the hands of Sega and Sonic Team.

And lmao, what a load of bullcrap. Please spare me of your stupid explanation for why Sonic characters are the way they are.
Forces was only one game, sure it was the most recent one, but this decade also gave us Sonic Generations and OG Sonic Colors.

Frontiers seems like them learning from their mistakes with Forces and taking their time to do something better. the graphics look gorgeous, like were finally getting a big budget, AAA Sonic game since Unleashed, the story is going to be directly written by Ian Flynn (one of the comic writters), so goodbye to the childish jokes, plotholes and blatant missed potential, and most importantly, The mix between speed and exploration that made the Genesis games great is no brainer for an Open World game, It's everything the series needed.

And considering everytime they try a new formula for the first time, it actually ends up being pretty good (Adventure 1 and Unleashed were good, fight me), It's a Sonic game that's actually worth getting hyped for.
Sonic fans, please stfu about this and let us be happy. This looks like a great direction for Sonic.
Do 90% of the people here look like Sonic fans to you?

Last edited:

FritzJ92

I'm not denying Sonic Team did bad things (06 was 15 years ago anyways), nor I'm denying that Sonic in general needs a good game, I'm just saying that people use 06 and Forces as a sort of excuse to invalidate what little they and the Sonic franchise has been doing right for the last 10 years in order to shove in the "Fans should do EVERYTHING!" narrative that I'm so tired of.

It's technically not "the real world" (or atleast it wasn't announced yet), but it seems to be going for the "Sonic Adventure" brand of fantasy. which I like.

Forces was only one game, sure it was the most recent one, but this decade also gave us Sonic Generations and OG Sonic Colors.

Frontiers seems like them learning from their mistakes with Forces and taking their time to do something better. the graphics look gorgeous, like were finally getting a big budget, AAA Sonic game since Unleashed, the story is going to be directly written by Ian Flynn (one of the comic writters), so goodbye to the childish jokes, plotholes and blatant missed potential, and most importantly, The mix between speed and exploration that made the Genesis games great is no brainer for an Open World game, It's everything the series needed.

And considering everytime they try a new formula for the first time, it actually ends up being pretty good (Adventure 1 and Unleashed were good, fight me), It's a Sonic game that's actually worth getting hyped for.

Do 90% of the people here look like Sonic fans to you?
Idc what 90% of people look like. If you are a sonic fan trying to downplay what we saw then I’m talking to you.

Idc what 90% of people look like. If you are a sonic fan trying to downplay what we saw then I’m talking to you.
As in, most people here are barely Sonic fans outside of the Genesis games. some people here aren't even fans, straight up hating the series as a whole, and only coming here to say how much they'll think it'll sucked.

Saber

Gold Member

Frontiers seems like them learning from their mistakes with Forces and taking their time to do something better. the graphics look gorgeous, like were finally getting a big budget, AAA Sonic game since Unleashed

Forces, Boom, Chronicles, Sonic 4, Lost World, and the list goes on. Not one game.
Also, graphics means nothing. You would do better stoping thinking of what the game would be, because they probably already forgot it.

Also, they didn't learn shit. If anything, they are going backwards with "lets see the new trend and goes with the flow". Open world seems to be a trend nowadays, alongside others like Gaas. They did this trend with Lost World and guess what, it didn't work.
You might think its not a big deal, but since we're talking about the maskot of the Sega they should put way more effort on it instead of launching mediocre tier Sonic games. And this is ignoring crash grab low effort remasters like Colors, which a good game btw.

Ristifer

As in, most people here are barely Sonic fans outside of the Genesis games. some people here aren't even fans, straight up hating the series as a whole, and only coming here to say how much they'll think it'll sucked.
That's an assumption based on nothing. Just because you love a lot of Sonic Team's output doesn't mean everyone else with differing opinions has some kind of bias toward the Classic era.

And to be quite honest, I don't know how this trailer can be any more exciting than any other generic CGI trailer Sonic Team & SEGA have vomited out for past Sonic games. The true test is the gameplay, which Sonic Team cannot nail on a consistent basis. Maybe they will this time? I hope they do. But people hating on Sonic Team aren't necessarily exclusively Classic Sonic fans. I'm sure many of them want an actual good game from Sonic Team, and have seen the mediocre results from past entries.

Sonic Forces? Sonic Boom? Sonic Lost World?

If you keep avoiding the past, sure this game will be great. Otherwise let people suspect.
Lost World was a descent platformer, just not a good Sonic game. Boom wasn't Sonic Team, it was Big Red Button. and I already said that Forces sucked.

Fake

Lost World was a descent platformer, just not a good Sonic game. Boom wasn't Sonic Team, it was Big Red Button. and I already said that Forces sucked.

Lost Wold was mix bag dude, Forces was pretty bad and Boom probably the worst game of the entire franchise beating the infamous Sonic 2006.

cireza

Banned
The past tell otherwise. Not even a god damn fucking remaster they do right.
Sonic Colors Ultimate was not developed by Sonic Team.
Sonic Boom was not developed by Sonic Team.

They made Unleashed (PS360), Colors (Wii), Generations (PS360), Lost World (Wii U), Forces (XOne/PS4). All good to great games, with a good level of polish.
Lost World and Forces were perfectly fine games by the way.

Maybe do your homework before shitting on a developer next time ? Have you even played the games ?

Last edited:

Fake

Sonic Colors Ultimate was not developed by Sonic Team.
Sonic Boom was not developed by Sonic Team.

They made Unleashed (PS360), Colors (Wii), Generations (PS360), Lost World (Wii U), Forces (XOne/PS4). All good to great games, with a good level of polish.
Lost World and Forces were perfectly fine games by the way.

Maybe do your homework before shitting on a developer next time ? Have you even played the games ?

Was SEGA that pick the company for make a remaster. If they want a cheap product, they'll hire a cheap company. The results is what you're seeing.
NoT DeVeLoPeD bY SoNiC TeAm. Same shit argument used from many Pokemon fans over Pokemon Brilhant Diamond.

If the company don't care about their main franchise at all, what we get is that mess. Rushed games, cheap content, etc...
Denying this not gonna help your argument. Again, Sonic fans have this strange lapse of memory. Sonic Team have a huge historic of doing shit.

Go check over google, bing, whatever. I wait you.

cireza

Banned
The results is what you're seeing.
Yes. We are seeing a shit product not developed by Sonic Team. Same as Shenmue I & II or the Sega MegaDrive Classics.

Sonic Frontiers is the next game from Sonic Team, a developer that has done great games for people that actually play them.

Fake

Yes. We are seeing a shit product not developed by Sonic Team. Same as Shenmue I & II or the Sega MegaDrive Classics.

Sonic Frontiers is the next game from Sonic Team, a developer that has done great games for people that actually play them.

The last good Sonic Team game was Sonic Generation.
Dude, are you going to keep forgeting the previous games from Sonic Team? For real?

If so I'll just move on the conversation.

cireza

Banned
The last good Sonic Team game was Sonic Generation.
Dude, are you going to keep forgeting the previous games from Sonic Team? For real?
Do you even read ?

All these games are perfectly fine.

If so I'll just move on the conversation.
It doesn't look like you have much to say anyway. Care to tell us if you have actually played the games you are shitting on ?

Fake

Do you even read ?

The irony. Just enjoy your favorite Sonic games my friend. No hurt fellings.

Again when did I say Boom or Forces were any good?

Never posted about you saying that. I talking about 'previous' Sonic Team games. You can't talk about next games without mention the previous one.

This is not about Sonic games mind you. Is about 'games' in general. Its what keep the conversation on.

Last edited:

SnapShot

20211209_221840.png

Good for you. You can enjoy whatever the crap you want. Just don't got all sad when people actually go dubious of a company with recent historic of bad Sonic games. If you have hype for this, go for it. Hope that helps your mental recovery.
Sorry, Mum's but I'll enjoy, what I want to enjoy. I don't need to go on what you or the internet tells me to think. And if you dislike or distrust Sonic so much... What are you doing in a Sonic thread Mum's, other than trolling?

Saber

Gold Member
Sorry, Mum's but I'll enjoy, what I want to enjoy. I don't need to go on what you or the internet tells me to think.

No shit Sherlock. Took you that long?

Now if you're done with your silly and useless posts, stop being mad and let people be the judge for themselves. This stupid conversation is over.

Last edited:

Now if you're done with your silly and useless posts, stop being mad and let people be the judge for themselves. This stupid conversation is over.
Such bad manners and foul language I thought you were better than that Mums, but sadly you're just the typical Sonic Troll

Guys any news or interviews about this Masterpiece ?
Apparently the plot sinposis was revealed
For those who don't want to click:
In Sonic Frontiers, Sonic's long-time nemesis, Dr. Eggman discovers an ancient technology on the Starfall Islands and installs his AI program, SAGE, to hack in and take over. But there is more to this technology than he realizes, and unintended consequences immediately come to bear. Sonic must race against time to discover the truth, save his friends and maybe even save himself at the same time.
Apparently Eggman, as usual when it comes to 3D Sonic, is going to be sidelined in favor of this AI.

Also, yesterday did Xbox accidentally leak, via Youtube's close-captions, that the whispering voice in the trailer was none other than Amy Rose, (which is way more noticeable in the Japanese version of the trailer), so there's a chance that the "Ghost girl" mentioned in the 4Chan leak is Amy.

WolfusFh

And lmao, what a load of bullcrap. Please spare me of your stupid explanation for why Sonic characters are the way they are.
How ironic, considering you were the dumbass that brought up Sonic's friends in the first place, even though none of them were even in the trailer. Are you even able to form opinions on your own or do you just buy into anything shitty gaming journalists say?
And the most crazy ones are also the ones who got their feeling hurts about commentaries about Sonic and yet proceeds to mentions Sonic 06 as if it has any kind salvation or potential.
Again, idiots like you are the ones that keep bringing up 06 every time to dismiss anything related to the series. Your ignorance towards the enjoyable Project 06 shows your lack of knowledge regarding Sonic, and it pretty much proves it has salvation and had a lot of potential. Not that an idiot like you could figure it out, since no gaming journalist has told you yet.

WolfusFh

The most useless posts are yours. The only thing you brought up is shitty overused garbage arguments about a subject that isn't even relevant to the trailer, and when someone presented an actual argument, you proceed to rely on insults.

Kssio_Aug

They struggle to make a track based game for Sonic, I think making it open-world might be even harder. Although maybe the more wide areas can allow for a better Sonic game... we will see. Right now, not excited.

Coney

This could potentially be the greatest or one of the greatest Sonic games ever made, if they do it right, or just an outright dud.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with NME, Jun Senoue has spoken about the history of Sonic, the impact the series has and what his current projects are. Among them, Jun Senoue has confirmed he's working on Sonic Frontiers.

Jun Senoue has been composing for the Sonic the Hedgehog series for almost 30 years, starting with Sonic the Hedgehog 3. He's most known for his work on the Sonic Adventure titles, teaming up with Tony Harnell to create the famous "Escape from the City" track, and composing and performing many vocal themes for the series as part of his band, Crush 40.

In more recent titles, Jun Senoue has seemed to take a step back on the composing side of things. While he hasn't left Sonic, the number of tracks he's provided has shrunk in number compared to games such as Sonic Generations. When asked what he's been working on lately in an interview with NME, he answered that Sonic Frontiers has kept him busy.

As part of the reveal, Jun Senoue was also quick to say he was "excited" for 2022, saying that Frontiers "is going to broaden how we view Sonic games." This matches rather well with how Sonic Team has compared Frontiers to Sonic Adventure in terms of its scope and foundation for Sonic's future. While the exact role Jun Senoue will play in terms of what he provides to the game isn't stated, it's still rather promising.

Sega representatives said they originally scheduled Sonic Frontiers to be launched by the end of 2021 in order to coincide with Sonic's 30th anniversary. However, this was delayed to the next holiday season for quality assurance purposes.

In other words, it wanted to give Sonic Team more time to improve the quality of the game by testing it per external feedback instead of rushing the developers as it had done in years past. "Originally it was planned to be released on this year, the 30th anniversary of Sonic, but we have postponed the release for a year in order to further brush up the quality," a Sega rep said.

"Not only for this title, but during the development phase, we have been steadily conducting analysis to improve the quality of the title before release, such as introducing game testing based on external evaluations, and I have a feeling that it will become a good game and have high expectations for it."

They should have done external testing before lol. the rumor is this will have action combat and sonic will be able to punch and kick. I feel confident Sega will get the combat down right . they have good combat gameplay devs if judgment and Phantasy Star Online 2: NG are any indication. Movement should be solid as well if they are taking this much time and getting feedback from external testers. it has to be the most important thing in an open world Sonic game. Now if they can just get the puzzles and level design right this can be a special game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with GamesRadar's Josh West, Sonic Team's creative officer Takashi Iizuka provided some new information on Sonic Frontiers, particularly how Sonic's movement will work. According to Iizuka, figuring out how to translate Sonic's speed and combat abilities into larger levels was one of Sonic Team's greatest challenges during Sonic Frontier's development. The solution, apparently, was to expand on Sonic's moveset. "With Sonic Frontiers, we'll introduce new combat styles to bring Sonic's signature dexterity onto the battlefield, and the new exploration options obviously play into his iconic speedy nature," Iizuka explains.

As West mentions in their write-up, Iizuka is being very particular with their words here, in order to not give too much away. They do not disclose what any of these moves look like or how they work, though fans can probably imagine some of the changes that are required to get Sonic to work fluently in open 3D environments.

In an interview with GamesRadar's Josh West, Sonic Team's creative officer Takashi Iizuka provided some new information on Sonic Frontiers, particularly how Sonic's movement will work. According to Iizuka, figuring out how to translate Sonic's speed and combat abilities into larger levels was one of Sonic Team's greatest challenges during Sonic Frontier's development. The solution, apparently, was to expand on Sonic's moveset. "With Sonic Frontiers, we'll introduce new combat styles to bring Sonic's signature dexterity onto the battlefield, and the new exploration options obviously play into his iconic speedy nature," Iizuka explains.

As West mentions in their write-up, Iizuka is being very particular with their words here, in order to not give too much away. They do not disclose what any of these moves look like or how they work, though fans can probably imagine some of the changes that are required to get Sonic to work fluently in open 3D environments.
If it's really going to be combat based, I Imagine something akin to a Hack-and-Slash, less God of War like the Werehog and more like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

I hope it feels like Sakura Wars(2020) combat but much faster paced. Also more moves and more enemy variety. You could feel the weight of attacks in Sakura Wars as enemies would go flying with powerful strikes and it was great until you kept doing the same moves over and over. It seems like RGG studios and the Valkyria Chronicles team didn't have enough funding to polish the combat for SW like they did for Judgment and PSO2: New Genesis. Hopefully Sonic Frontiers combat is spectacular.

Top Bottom