• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers Gamescom Hands-On impressions thread from games media and attendees (Surprisingly positive)

Thread for all Sonic Frontiers Gamescom/PAX West/Tokyo Game Show and EGX hands-on impressions. I think it makes sense to keep it all in one thread because these shows are close together and it will probably be the same demos shown at each event.

Reviews scores on the demo from attendees.
This guy said he really wanted to meme the game but then gave the demo a 10/10 lol

More in depth impressions with video gameplay

Articles from games media

https://www.gameinformer.com/gamesc...rst-sonic-game-i-want-to-play-since-dreamcast

https://www.t3.com/news/sonic-frontiers-preview-gamescom-2022

https://www.gamereactor.eu/ive-play...gamescom-and-its-looking-much-better-1181883/

Here's a negative impression of Sonic Frontiers
https://dotesports.com/general/news/sonic-frontiers-open-world-feels-dry-and-empty

Aure

Banned
Dog Do Not Want GIF

Impressions of what? it's a Sonic game, Sega either paid some people to praise the game, or they put out a pre-made demo that isn't what people will actually be playing, everytime.

The one deviant who roamed from the pack in your bottom link was bold enough to tell the truth that what they tried was a build made specifically for gamescom to control hype. Also, Qbert grinding boss is a no.

Holammer

Sonic fans are the unreliable narrators of the gaming world. So a healthy dose of doubt is recommended.
Will be interesting to see how they shoehorn this into the current IDW Sonic comic.

NewChoppa

Banned
Impressions of what? it's a Sonic game, Sega either paid some people to praise the game, or they put out a pre-made demo that isn't what people will actually be playing, everytime.

The one deviant who roamed from the pack in your bottom link was bold enough to tell the truth that what they tried was a build made specifically for gamescom to control hype. Also, Qbert grinding boss is a no.

I get that pretty much any 3D Sonic game is a risky deal with how shaky the quality’s been over the last (15?) years, but it seems pretty bad faith to ignore the surprising amount of positive feedback from people at the show (not just Sonic fans) and claim all the positive press feedback is because they were paid off to focus solely on the one critic who thought the game was bad

ManaByte

it seems pretty bad faith to ignore the surprising amount of positive feedback from people at the show (not just Sonic fans) and claim all the positive press feedback is because they were paid off
Seeing this more and more. There are people claiming in the Amazon LOTR thread that every positive review is paid for.

I get that pretty much any 3D Sonic game is a risky deal with how shaky the quality’s been over the last (15?) years, but it seems pretty bad faith to ignore the surprising amount of positive feedback from people at the show (not just Sonic fans) and claim all the positive press feedback is because they were paid off to focus solely on the one critic who thought the game was bad

You are saying nothing different that hasn't been said for other Sonic games in the past, it's all the same nonsense about how I am ignoring the non-Sonic fans brought and paid for, or were impressed by some planned build that's not representative of the actual game, the hype builds up, red flags come in, anyone who points them out are called haters, then the excuses come in: give them a chance, you must not like games, Sonic fans don't know what they want (even if it's not a sonic fan), you don't understand, why are you anti-Sega, it's bad faith to ignore the surprising amount of positive feedback, the press loves it, hand-on impressions are good, are you a casual, they try something new and you still don't like it, look at the graphics, the game looks functional, throw a beach ball at your mom, there's no cats in china they eat sandpaper to survive in the desert, there's a lot more done to the combat, they added more depth to the speed, they are only making it seems simple as an option because they want kids on board, it's a kids game what do you expect, they need to appeal to all audiences, they kept the boost formula what more do you want, can they shove apple sauce up your ass, there's no way to fix the piano if you don't bow down to Kims dad, it's the good team within Sonic team making the game so it'll be good this time, it's not the B team, It's not the Z team,, the movie/comic/show/toys are popular so they want to take advantage of that with a good game, just log off social media, the games actually better when you hear from the unbiased, they are being more communitive (no they aren't) so that means the game will be good, did you see Sonic do that move shown in the gameplay, look at the cutscenes, it's perfectly fine it doesn't have to be Mario or Crash and actually score well or sell, Sonic Team sometimes misses but at least they take risks and I appreciate that, where in the world is Bowser San diego, Oh Gex killed him with Duke Nukems gun in a homicide, Big Red button is formed from ex-Naughty dog guys so it will be good, it was the Wii U that made the game bad, it was the Wii that made the game bad, if the game was on PC it would work because Sonics too fast for consoles, it's a $40 game so don't expect much, I think the game is great because it doesn't have any bugs, Forces has no bugs so it's a good game, why do you not give Sonic Team a chance they are just getting it right 4000 years later baby steps, no other studio under Sega could handle a Sonic game, one thing about Sonic is that you play it for the Shonen, one thing about Sonic is you play it for the attitude, it's been 5 years or 10 years after release, and looking back, it was actually an underrated game, we need to wait for more gameplay, we got more gameplay but we need to wait for more gameplay, we got more gameplay some more, but we need to give them a chance to give us a demo, we got the demo, but it's not the final game, we got the final game, but you need to trust the next game, why won't you trust the next game? give Sonic Team a chance.

I've heard it all man, stop. Same patterns over and over at some point somethings got to click.

Last edited:
Here is a video of Sega interviewing players. Obviously don't put a lot of weight into these ones because Sega probably didn't show any negative ones lol. A Sega rep on twitter later denied that they cherry picked these impressions.

More journalist impressions

https://www.thegamer.com/sonic-frontiers-great-gameplay-open-world-combat-story/

Will post some impressions from PAX West(assuming they have the demo there too) in a few days

Nothing from PAX. However TGS hands on impressions are rolling in.

Sakurai seems to really like Sonic Frontiers. Sega tweeted his comments about the game after playing the demo. He's probably already thinking of new Sonic moves for the next Smash game.
https://nintendowire.com/news/2022/...iers-at-tgs-and-hes-definitely-buying-it-now/
“I was thinking of buying it because I’d be able to play Sonic in a new way, but now I’m definitely buying it!”

Forbes write Ollie Barder seemed to like the demo but didn't like the tutorial parts always popping up
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ressions-its-actually-decent/?sh=5227e2aaca56

Last edited:
For the few people on this forum interested in this game here is more news from TGS and impressions from EGX 2022.

Sonic frontiers won an award at TGS for being one of the most anticipated games. The Sonic frontiers booth had to be shut down after 30 minutes everyday due to overcrowding. Sega received a very positive response from attendees. Sega will now have have public demos in several locations in Japan for everyone that wanted to play the game but couldn't.

EGX Impressions

https://moviesgamesandtech.com/2022/09/22/sonic-frontiers-hands-on-demo/
If you love Sonic, I just can’t see you being disappointed by this game at all. If you’re in the market for a fast-paced, part open-world, part traditional 3D action platformer – this could be the game for you. One thing is certain, I can’t wait to get my hands on the final game! Also, have I mentioned it’s beautiful?

https://www.psu.com/news/sonic-frontiers-tgs-2022-hands-on-preview-ps5/

Cautiously Having Fun​

Various preorder bonuses are being advertised, game cases are on display on store shelves, and Sonic took up most of Sega’s booth at Tokyo Game Show 2022.I played through the Sonic Frontiers demo twice at TGS 2022, and I still feel more or less the same about the game before I tried it – mixed with a bit of cautious optimism.

All these hands-on impressions are giving me hope its going to be at the minimum a good Sonic game like Sonic Colors, Generations and Unleashed(yeah I said it, daytime stages are stellar and Werehog stages weren't that bad). Also its pretty funny how IGN got so much shit for their Sonic Frontiers Hands-On Preview and were accused of being paid by Sega but almost everyone else that's played it also seems to like it.

For the few people on this forum interested in this game here is more news from TGS and impressions from EGX 2022.

Sonic frontiers won an award at TGS for being one of the most anticipated games. The Sonic frontiers booth had to be shut down after 30 minutes everyday due to overcrowding. Sega received a very positive response from attendees. Sega will now have have public demos in several locations in Japan for everyone that wanted to play the game but couldn't.

EGX Impressions

https://moviesgamesandtech.com/2022/09/22/sonic-frontiers-hands-on-demo/

https://www.psu.com/news/sonic-frontiers-tgs-2022-hands-on-preview-ps5/

All these hands-on impressions are giving me hope its going to be at the minimum a good Sonic game like Sonic Colors, Generations and Unleashed(yeah I said it, daytime stages are stellar and Werehog stages weren't that bad). Also its pretty funny how IGN got so much shit for their Sonic Frontiers Hands-On Preview and were accused of being paid by Sega but almost everyone else that's played it also seems to like it.

We need a Sonic Avatar bet for everyone that thinks it wont Metacritic over 85.

Hugare

It has a 6-7 underrated gem written all over it

People will give it shit 'cause "lol 3D Sonic" but everything I've seen so far looks so freaking fun

Not necessarily "great" in the sense of it being polished like a Nintendo release, but in the sense of it being pure fun despite the shortcomings

Sure as shit won't pick it up on release at $ 65, but certainly buy it latter

Last edited:
I'm busy so I will post more later but I just had to post this video. This is some of the highest praise I've seen for the game. GVG calls the game shockingly great.

At this point, just kill sonic in 3d games! Why would someone play again those levels from Generation? At 70€ or even more! I mean playing 70€ or more to play SOME parts of Generation? So, that is supposed to be the great come back! 😂🤡
MI4O.gif

Last edited:
Will this demo be available to us regular scrubs?

No more public demo's unfortunately except in Japan.

The "I told you so"s will be fun for me. Literally looked like the best Sonic game ever made since the first showing.

A lot of people wrote this game off for sure. It would be one hell of a comeback. I hope its good for the kids sake, for many new Sonic fans that watched the movie this may be their first Sonic game.

Reminder.

And I want Sonic Frontiers to be good, mind you.

But always, always remember the Sonic Cycle.

Yeah this could be a late start for the Sonic cycle. I am confident with the actual game itself. Sega did the most playtesting they have ever done for a game. They really want to get this right. My worry is since its an open world game there could be a lot of bugs at launch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Even if it gets a fucking 94 on metacritic I won't pay it any attention cuz its open world. A platformer that's based on speed running, level memorization and improving times cannot work in open world. It's clearly cashing in on the open world trend without paying attention to what made sonic fun.

Go play Sonic GT instead and ignore this mess

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not to mention how utterly slow and boring sonic looks, and the mediocre combat with those horrible animations... like, why is there even combat in a sonic game to begin with? Did Sega completely forget the polarized reaction to unleashed? Jumping and rolling worked and were simple an easy to understand. I don't want this punching and kicking bullshit.

Ristifer

The "I told you so"s will be fun for me. Literally looked like the best Sonic game ever made since the first showing.
Come on. That second sentence reads like satire. Or intense hyperbole. Even several people that are positive about the game now had said that the first showing was asscheeks.

Still just looks like an open world game with loops and rails tossed in there to give it some sort of random Sonic feel. The fact that Sonic's physics and movement selections change when he's in the Cyberspace levels further proves that they can't quite get it 100% right.

Come on. That second sentence reads like satire. Or intense hyperbole. Even several people that are positive about the game now had said that the first showing was asscheeks.
You can check my posts in the reveal trailers if you want. Not sure what else to tell you. The game hasn't changed at all. Looks exactly the same.

Saber

Gold Member

Still just looks like an open world game with loops and rails tossed in there to give it some sort of random Sonic feel. The fact that Sonic's physics and movement selections change when he's in the Cyberspace levels further proves that they can't quite get it 100% right.

People don't simply re-post the cycle because its a meme. Forces was the samething, despite how dumb the Cyc is and cringe and brain damaging the plot was.

Not gonna try look down on the people looking foward, but I would limit expectations. Sonic Team didn't put a single capable/decent Sonic game in years, and now people expect me to believe they go to the open world route where most of devs are having problem right now(mostly about repetition and empty world). I have no reason to believe this gonna work, but if I'm wrong then good news for those who are looking for.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I preferred this updated cycle after Generations and Colors came out:

bb3.jpg

If anyone is having fun playing a Sonic game, just have your fun and enjoy.
those games came out 10 years ago my dude
I have no reason to believe this gonna work, but if I'm wrong then good news for those who are looking for.
It isn't, people will look at it, see it's clearly shit, and end up going back to playing fangames, older entries, and indie alternatives like we've been doing for almost a decade now.
Punished Miku Punished Miku is clearly tripping if they think this game will get anything higher than a 69

Frankly, I hope it scores awfully so Sonic Team will never try this open world formula again. If it gets critical praise and love, Sega will take the open world formula and milk that dry cow for the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Ristifer

You can check my posts in the reveal trailers if you want. Not sure what else to tell you. The game hasn't changed at all. Looks exactly the same.
It's totally fine if you are optimistic. But the best Sonic game ever made? From that first showing? At least get your hands on it first. That would be like the negative folks saying it'll be the worst Sonic game ever made, when we already know that the competition for that crown is fierce.

those games came out 10 years ago my dude

It isn't, people will look at it, see it's clearly shit, and end up going back to playing fangames, older entries, and indie alternatives like we've been doing for almost a decade now.
Punished Miku Punished Miku is clearly tripping if they think this game will get anything higher than a 69

Frankly, I hope it scores awfully so Sonic Team will never try this open world formula again. If it gets critical praise and love, Sega will take the open world formula and milk that dry cow for the next 10 years.
I know you think this is a great gotcha argument, but it actually works against you. Sonic is not Call of Duty, so I don't know why you're treating it that way. These are the last 5 entries of mainline 3D sonic games:

Sonic Forces - 2017
Sonic Boom - 2014
Sonic Lost World -2013
Sonic Generations - 2011
Sonic Colors - 2010

Of course I would bring up those two games, because there's been nothing in the franchise from Sonic Team since 2017. It looks even worse from your standpoint when you consider the fact that Sonic Boom was developed by a third party. 10 years to that team is 4 games, my dude. This is like when people dismiss Bloodborne or DS3 when discussing Elden Ring and Sekiro. It's not like there was a DS 4, 5, and 6 that happened in between them.

The sonic cycle is a meme for a reason. The issue is when people like yourself take it seriously and then look bad when called out on it, so you double down. Just take it as a meme like it was meant to be taken and if you don't enjoy sonic then move on to something else. It's that easy.

I mean, I do, but to pretend the real Sonic Cycle doesn't exist, is just silly.
Yes, it is silly. That's why it's a meme.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Even if it gets a fucking 94 on metacritic I won't pay it any attention cuz its open world. A platformer that's based on speed running, level memorization and improving times cannot work in open world. It's clearly cashing in on the open world trend without paying attention to what made sonic fun.

Go play Sonic GT instead and ignore this mess

I loved getting A ranks in Sonic Adventure 2 (some are very tough) but I think open world Sonic is worth trying. Speed compliments open world very well. There will likely still be obstacles and environments that can be bypassed faster if the player is better.

My guy needs more room to run around. Let him go fast.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I will wait for actual reviews from youtubers who's opinions I personally find fit my own. I want this is be good as I was Team Sega as a child up until they stopped making consoles.

However after... decades of poor releases I will believe it when it's in the hands of players. It would be a pleasant suprise though.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Speed compliments open world very well.
for spectacle, yes
for actually substantial and interesting gameplay? no. We saw this with that sonic Utopia fan project a while back, if any of you remember that. People played it, loved how well it controlled, and then it died off a couple of months later because the game has 0 direction. It's an open world tech demo with 0 substance or gameplay. (not to mention the game never got finished)
The difference was that Sonic Utopia's physics and control were so satisfying to use and exploit. Sonic frontiers looks nowhere near as fun to play
people think they want an open world sonic because Sonic CD's opening intro made it look super appealing. But the current formula we had was perfectly acceptable and worked for the kind of franchise sonic was.

Also, this doesn't even really matter since Frontiers Sonic looks to be the slowest incarnation of sonic we've seen in a while. In comparison to Unleashed and Gens, his speed is laughable. It honestly makes me feel like this was a development for a new IP that was randomly turned into sonic at the last minute

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Speed compliments open world very well. There will likely still be obstacles and environments that can be bypassed faster if the player is better.

I would say about 50%. Speed helps you with open world yes, but you would still need to do slow pace walks for exploration. Thats why you mount on a horse(or vehicle) when traveling and dismount as soon you saw something interesting/worth investigating, it's when you just go at slower pacing. Well, unless the game doesn't want Sonic to explorate. Also if they ever want that, they better fix Sonic dumb slow walk hovering.

Top Bottom