• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers Gamescom Hands-On impressions thread from games media and attendees (Surprisingly positive)

Delivering Saints And Sinners GIF by Bounce

"Here's a little something we'd like to give you before you talk about Frontiers"

Last edited:

Thabass

Yes, it is silly. That's why it's a meme.
But it's also true. It's one of those weird instances where a meme actually turned out to be true. Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the new Sonic stuff, but Sonic Forces was abysmal. Sonic Mania was amazing. One of the few Sonic games that the cycle didn't really match up. But, of course, that was made indie developers with little to do with Sonic Team (they had some say obviously, but to a lesser extent).

lyan

People don't simply re-post the cycle because its a meme. Forces was the samething, despite how dumb the Cyc is and cringe and brain damaging the plot was.

Not gonna try look down on the people looking foward, but I would limit expectations. Sonic Team didn't put a single capable/decent Sonic game in years, and now people expect me to believe they go to the open world route where most of devs are having problem right now(mostly about repetition and empty world). I have no reason to believe this gonna work, but if I'm wrong then good news for those who are looking for.
This is just pso2ngs reskinned with a new He(dgehog) class, sega already nailed movement and feel of controls there so a lot of the hard groundwork has already been done for them.

But it's also true. It's one of those weird instances where a meme actually turned out to be true. Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the new Sonic stuff, but Sonic Forces was abysmal. Sonic Mania was amazing. One of the few Sonic games that the cycle didn't really match up. But, of course, that was made indie developers with little to do with Sonic Team (they had some say obviously, but to a lesser extent).
I don't understand why you yourself don't see that what you've just stated entirely comes down to your own personal opinion. You can easily google the official metacritic reviews of their previous games. I'm not saying their track record is all good, but it's also not all bad either. The ratings of the Sonic games flips from good to bad constantly, which simply doesn't line up with the meme. Feel free to make a new, more accurate image if you want to treat it as some law instead of a meme, but otherwise I'll stick to my prior point. 🤷‍♂️

Thabass

I don't understand why you yourself don't see that what you've just stated entirely comes down to your own personal opinion. You can easily google the official metacritic reviews of their previous games. I'm not saying their track record is all good, but it's also not all bad either. The ratings of the Sonic games flips from good to bad constantly, which simply doesn't line up with the meme. Feel free to make a new, more accurate image if you want to treat it as some law instead of a meme, but otherwise I'll stick to my prior point. 🤷‍♂️
I-it is my opinion. I never said it wasn't. The whole thing is my opinion. I don't know where you think I inferred it wasn't. My opinion is that the Sonic Cycle, is in fact, a thing.

But, I also said that I can't enjoy the games even if the Sonic Cycle meme is true or not. I am not taking it as seriously as you are, my friend.

Also, I couldn't give a damn about Metacritic scores for games that I have played. I only use Metacritic as a guide for games I haven't played.

Last edited:
I-it is my opinion. I never said it wasn't. The whole thing is my opinion. I don't know where you think I inferred it wasn't. My opinion is that the Sonic Cycle, is in fact, a thing.
Yes...but calling something fact or truth isn't an opinion. You're trying to make an objective statement with a subjective argument.

But, I also said that I can't enjoy the games even if the Sonic Cycle meme is true or not. I am not taking it as seriously as you are, my friend.
I'm not taking the meme itself seriously, I'm taking the people who are using the meme more seriously instead, because people like yourself and the other poster use it because you believe it to be true, when objectively it isn't. We can't just rewrite reality to match our arguments.

To be honest I didn't even want to put myself in this position to defend the Sonic franchise(of all things) this much, but a ton of false statements being thrown around as factual sucks to see so I stepped in.

Thabass

Yes...but calling something fact or truth isn't an opinion. You're trying to make an objective statement with a subjective argument.
It really depends for me. In some aspects, I agree with the cycle and in some I don't. There's obviously some games that have done well (Colors, Generations, Mania) and others that have not done well (Boom, Forces). And even then, I'm mostly saying it in jest when the games turn out like shit. Not every game in the franchise will be a winner, but the meme is funny regardless.

I'm not taking the meme itself seriously, I'm taking the people who are using the meme more seriously instead, because people like yourself and the other poster use it because you believe it to be true, when objectively it isn't. We can't just rewrite reality to match our arguments.

To be honest I didn't even want to put myself in this position to defend the Sonic franchise(of all things) this much, but a ton of false statements being thrown around as factual sucks to see so I stepped in.
I think you're taking more seriously than you think. Which is fine. I get being defensive about it. But own up to it. You answered the Sonic Cycle meme with another "corrected" Cycle meme right after it. So you're taking a bit more seriously than I think you realize. Which, again, I think it's fine if you do that, but try to realize that you are taking it more seriously than you realize.

Regardless of my opinion on the Sonic Cycle meme, I will still play the Sonic games because I like them. Meme be damned.

Last edited:
I think you're taking more seriously than you think. Which is fine. I get being defensive about it. But own up to it. You answered the Sonic Cycle meme with another "corrected" Cycle meme right after it. So you're taking a bit more seriously than I think you realize. Which, again, I think it's fine if you do that, but try to realize that you are taking it more seriously than you realize.

Regardless of my opinion on the Sonic Cycle meme, I will still play the Sonic games because I like them. Meme be damned.
People jumped onto your meme post which is why I stepped in. There's no honest way for me to convince you that it was actually the false claims that made me take this whole thing more seriously and reply, more than the actual meme itself. I can try to tell you that's the honest truth, but as you yourself stated above, the truth depends on how you feel towards it. Since that is the case, I'll just clarify my case for the rest of the thread and leave it at that 🤷‍♂️

Me too if it any good " Metacritic score of 65 or above to be exact", Game looks absolutely horrendous
You should have set the bar at 75. That's the line for Sonic. Early previews looked bad but I never want a game to fail so I hope it ends up at least good at best.

Thabass

People jumped onto your meme post which is why I stepped in. There's no honest way for me to convince you that it was actually the false claims that made me take this whole thing more seriously and reply, more than the actual meme itself. I can try to tell you that's the honest truth, but as you yourself stated above, the truth depends on how you feel towards it. Since that is the case, I'll just clarify my case for the rest of the thread and leave it at that 🤷‍♂️

You should have set the bar at 75. That's the line for Sonic. Early previews looked bad but I never want a game to fail so I hope it ends up at least good at best.
Dude, you're fine. I don't take offense to it. I do think you're taking more seriously than even you may think. But hey, you're a fan of the series, so I get it. At least you're not a lunatic about it. 🤣

Dude, you're fine. I don't take offense to it. I do think you're taking more seriously than even you may think. But hey, you're a fan of the series, so I get it. At least you're not a lunatic about it. 🤣
The crazy thing is I'm actually not lol. I'm truly fair and level-headed about noticing how inconsistent the series is in quality and I'm well aware this game will be a huge coin flip in terms of how it might come across to reviewers. I've only liked about 5 games in the entire 20+ years of 3D sonic games. That's why I'm saying I didn't even want to defend this series like this but I can see how it's coming across that way. Dishonesty, false truths, and false narratives are what make me jump off of that ledge into serious debate sometimes, not freaking Sonic the Hedgehog lol.

That's why I end up doing something as stupid as defending Sonic.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
This game looks like a childhood dream come true. Some of my earliest memories as a kid are watching the Sonic OVA that I would rent from my local video store almost every week lol. At some point my Mom got tired of constantly renting it and found a copy at the Suncoast store (RIP) at the mall.

Getting serious deja vu watching Frontiers gameplay. In particular, I'm constantly reminded of the scene from the OVA where Sonic and Tails enter the Land of Darkness and run across a vast expanse as they make their way to Robotropolis. The video should autoplay at 13:49:

My parents got my brother and I the Dreamcast for Christmas in 2000 with Sonic Adventure - what a magical experience... Please be good. We need another good 3D Sonic game 🙏

Last edited:
Delivering Saints And Sinners GIF by Bounce

"Here's a little something we'd like to give you before you talk about Frontiers"

Well Sega does have deep pocketbooks. More moneyhatted impressions here

https://www.thexboxhub.com/sonic-frontiers-egx-2022-a-new-frontier/
I sat and played the demo, left and felt genuine relief, mostly because in Sonic Frontiers we may finally have a properly good new game in this storied franchise. There are worries – something that we’ll get into – but there were plenty of positives to take away.

More news....So the Sonic Frontiers demo will also be playable at PAX Australia this weekend
And social media analytics show Sonic frontiers was the most talked about game at Gamescom and was very well received by Attendees.

https://venturebeat.com/games/maven-road-gamescoms-top-game-was-sonic-frontiers/#:~:text=The most-discussed game at,what people are talking about.
The most-discussed game at the recent Gamescom event last year was Sonic Frontiers, according to an analysis by Maven Road of all social media around the event in Germany.

The demo of the game was well received, as users voiced their approval of the gameplay, often citing that 95% of the testers “loved it.” Negative posts were mostly due to user comments about an altercation between streamers that occurred at the event.

maven-4.jpg

As expected long lines again for Sonic Frontiers at PAX Australia and positive impressions.

https://www.gameshub.com/news/features/sonic-frontiers-preview-sega-demo-pax-aus-2022-31086/
When you’re not throwing down with leering, chaos-driven enemies, Sonic Frontiers lets you break out into a wild and breathtaking world – which, yes, takes a few cues from Breath of the Wild in its design and scope. The trees are green and glimmering, the sky stretches into the horizon, and the landscape is dotted by mechanical towers that must be climbed to solve puzzles and unlock new portions of the map.

After spending time in each of these varied segments, diving into solid combat and passing intriguing horizons, I’ve become convinced that Sonic Frontiers could be one of 2022’s biggest surprises.

I've always thought the world looks colorful and vibrant so it's nice to see that some other people like it too. I'm sick of hearing this is a generic world and sonic doesn't fit. well yeah its obvious this is a strange new world that sonic has entered into so it shouldn't looks like fucking green hill for the millionth time. And Green Hill is in cyberspace if you want to relive that.

Possible...

Or the Dreamcast standards are back at Sega of Japan (since the guy behind the Dreamcast lineup is back at the head of Sega Studios)

I don't know.

I forgot about that, I remember seeing that news a while back. I'm sure he had a big voice in the decision to bring back Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio reboots(if the rumors are true).

Top Bottom